Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 136655 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 05: Frontman Tragedy (FiI)
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
The blues has nothing to do with my comparison, really. It's the management of quiet passages and sudden - yet laser precise - outbursts that's scary identical sometimes, among other similarities I could spend a week of PMs pointing out.

Check Colosseum II (Inquisition, live version is a splendid example) or even his 80's solo live shows (1984 Chippenham could work) and you'll find a lot of proto-Petruccism, unique original licks, and waaaaay much more than a great blues guitarist.

On one thing I agree, no one is actually imitating anyone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »
The blues has nothing to do with my comparison, really. It's the management of quiet passages and sudden - yet laser precise - outbursts that's scary identical sometimes, among other similarities I could spend a week of PMs pointing out.

Boom.  Meniketti theory proven.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »

Boom.  Meniketti theory proven.

Boom. Buddy Guy theory proven.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2018, 09:24:44 AM »
Boom boom boom.

John Lee Hooker theory proven.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #494 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »
And with reference to hookers, we are now squarely back in the thick of the rock discussion.  Carry on.  #fullcircle
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: August 22, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »

Check Colosseum II (Inquisition, live version is a splendid example) or even his 80's solo live shows (1984 Chippenham could work) and you'll find a lot of proto-Petruccism, unique original licks, and waaaaay much more than a great blues guitarist.

Right, and like you said, it has nothing to do with the blues, but it’s the tone, the feeling, the depth, and the emotion  that they have in common.
I’ve always heard it that way.

Yes, I love Gary Moore. I’m very familiar with everything he and JP have ever done, and it’s what I hear. I don’t know what to say. I’m not saying it just to say it. I’m not saying it just to pimp Gary Moore.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #496 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:08 AM »
Trial of Tears, Act II:

Yeah, I was a ballsy kid, but Balls'n'Dreams (great sleazy rock band name, btw) aren't paying for themselves. For those who have bothered to actually read Act I, Mom's (the wealthy parent) virdict was:

“Gary Moore is a motherfocking great axeman!”

Sorry, wrong train of thought. She meant:

“Do as you please and good luck. From now on it's your arse and, above all, your money.”

Funny how life works. The above statement has meant the end of happiness for a long time. From where I stand right now, it meant the source of every happiness I've been blessed with the last 20 years. Sometimes you have to be wrong, and learn the hard way.

But, back to the end of the world, I was now completely overwhelmed by three unmovable obstacles:

1. Paying for the outrageous school's fee, assuming I passed auditions.
2. Roof, food, vices 200 miles away from home.
3. Going on with the focking recap.

Before meeting the man who saved my life, let's tackle number 3:

Deep in Heaven (Grandpa is Saint Peter):

6:12 – 6:26: There was no time for pain, no energy for anger ... Sorry, couldn't help it. First inbred instance anyway, if you're keeping score.

6:26 – 8:09: And now we settle, once and for all, the matter of Johnny P's greatest influence: Allan Holdsworth. Shush, resist the urge to protest. Listen to me and thank me later. Go pick your copy of UK's self titled album and select the first track, In the Dead of Night. Don't get distracted by Wetton and Bruford and go straight to the guitar solo, around 3:00. Thought so. See? Case focking closed.

On a sidenote, at the time I was wishing Johnny Allan's career. Now I really wish Holdsworth had half Petrucci's career and financial success. Rest in peace, you genius.

8:09 – 8:24: Is a Roger Rabbit emoticon available at this point? I am tired of repeating myself.

8:24 – 9:53: Here's where Beau Derek really stands at the centre of DT's keyboardists musical chairs narrative. He's soloing for the team while leading a beautiful theme change like Dr Moore loved to do, he's shredding like a loud motherfocker in his unique I'm Actually Vernon Reid On Keytar way, he's credibly trading punches with Johnny P like Jordan will playfully make a point to do in every other song. Please forgive the leap in time, but I feel this is the right spot for this peculiar kind of drivel.

We were saying, I needed help and support. Why not begging it from the family's only real artist? (BY THAT TIME THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

Enter Classical Grandpa, low tier opera baritone, overall great guy although basically anti-social and technology-diffident. Yeah, I'm 98% that DNA. During a beautiful emotional unforgettable afternoon, the man gave me the octavarium every wannabe (and not only) performing artist should need to face a dehumanising profession without losing sanity, soul and joy:

One - “It may be the life you crave to live, but you may find out it consists of things you would never be willing to live through”

Two - “Be yourself, be your voice. No use pretending but losing yourself and your voice”

Three - “Be kind and polite to everybody but never forget they won't. Their loss”

Four - “Forget exercise one day, only you will notice. Forget it a second one, everybody will”

Five - “Dare to make mistakes, always. That's how you learn. Smile at your mistakes, always. That's how you teach”

Six - “Work on your strenghts. Your weak points are such for a reason”

Seven - “Find your notch. Above it and below it you'll be equally miserable”

Eight - “You get in and I'm paying for your school, you find the most humble job for the rest. I always hated your mother anyway”

Two years later, by his deathbed, I was inconsolable for he would never see me on stage. He was relieved, for he saw me become a man.

Coming Next: Act III, trilogy's end without Ewoks

EDIT: Emotional typos

EDIT 2: Gregg, exactly.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:12:44 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: August 23, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »
Man, that's heavy and inspiring at the same time. So, Classical Dad is your Grandpa, correct?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #498 on: August 23, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »
Yep. The father of all Freudian slips probably.

SEE? I LIKE HEAVY! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT: C'mon, I am the serious moods destroyer
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 07:21:29 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #499 on: August 23, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »
6:26 – 8:09: And now we settle, once and for all, the matter of Johnny P's greatest influence: Allan Holdsworth. Shush, resist the urge to protest. Listen to me and thank me later. Go pick your copy of UK's self titled album and select the first track, In the Dead of Night. Don't get distracted by Wetton and Bruford and go straight to the guitar solo, around 3:00. Thought so. See? Case focking closed.

Yeah, okay.  I'll give you that one.  :tup

Is a Roger Rabbit emoticon available at this point? I am tired of repeating myself.

This is as close as we have. 

:jessica:

If you can find a better one, I'll upload it.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #500 on: August 23, 2018, 09:06:04 AM »
Bosk, you're a prince.

Let me return the favour. Last time I was in LA, The Last Bookstore had a couple used copies of white cheap Chronicles. I got a spare Legends, it was last year but you might want to check.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: August 23, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »

Enter Classical Grandpa, low tier opera baritone, overall great guy although basically anti-social and technology-diffident. Yeah, I'm 98% that DNA. During a beautiful emotional unforgettable afternoon, the man gave me the octavarium every wannabe (and not only) performing artist should need to face a dehumanising profession without losing sanity, soul and joy:

One - “It may be the life you crave to live, but you may find out it consists of things you would never be willing to live through”

Two - “Be yourself, be your voice. No use pretending but losing yourself and your voice”

Three - “Be kind and polite to everybody but never forget they won't. Their loss”

Four - “Forget exercise one day, only you will notice. Forget it a second one, everybody will”

Five - “Dare to make mistakes, always. That's how you learn. Smile at your mistakes, always. That's how you teach”

Six - “Work on your strenghts. Your weak points are such for a reason”

Seven - “Find your notch. Above it and below it you'll be equally miserable”

Eight - “You get in and I'm paying for your school, you find the most humble job for the rest. I always hated your mother anyway”

Two years later, by his deathbed, I was inconsolable for he would never see me on stage. He was relieved, for he saw me become a man.

That's great stuff, Alex. Really.

Oh, and yes that was a great Derek moment. It's one of those very rare moments on this album where I actually forget who the keyboard player is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »
Trial of Tears, Act III:

I kid you not when I tell you DT write things for me.

So many years have passed
Since I proclaimed
My independence
My mission
My aim
And my vision

In less poetic terms, I sold everything I could sell to Techno Buddy, kissed Girlfriend#1 goodbye, had a few beers with P (leaving for his audition at Berklee) and off I went: a car, two guitars, Plexi head and some stompboxes. No focking idea what I was gonna eat and where I was gonna sleep.

I wasn't ballsy, my parents were. I'm not sure I'd allow my daughter such a leap of faith, on the other hand I realise I would deprive her of that big wall to the back that turned a focking crazy useless fool into a focking crazy driven fool. Please don't read this, baby.

(Teenage) Wasteland:

9:53 – 10:09: The world was on fire, no one could save me but you ... Sorry, couldn't help it.

10:09 – 10:42: First, that synth sound right after “welcome to the wasteland” is a focking stroke of genius. Second, who else heard “where you'll find hashish, nothing but hashish?”. Don't be shy.

10:42 – 11:15: Ok, maybe after seven years I've got the gang figured out eventually. Take away The Metal and they're the greatest prog ensemble on earth, take away The Prog and they're potentially the greatest AOR act in the galaxy. Choices choices.

11:15 – 11:31: If they choose not to decide, they still have made a choice.

11:31 – 12:05: I have two totally arbitrary assumptions about this bit:

1) Big James hasn't been able to close his vocal chords for five days after this take.
2) I really have to find a witty term for the frequent instance Mighty Mike says: “Ok, I need to have this thing focking moving, all aboard!” Suggestions?

12:05 – 13:00: Tasty tasty micro solo, Johnny M. But, then again, is he even capable of not being tasty? This tune is a bit of a singularity, Relaxed Not Convoluted Epic. Up to now they've structured the long prog pieces a la Yes, this one is in Pink Floyd's wheelhouse.

There we go. For both DT and me splendid prodigy infancy (I&W), creative moody preteenagery (Awake - ACOS) and turbulent all over the place teenagery (FII) are ending. Now we have to prove we deserve the freedom we've fought for. I will kill myself working and studying, they will kill a young girl.

I'm closing shop for a couple of weeks, you know, VACATIONS! There is a God.

I will check sporadically on the phone, while the wife loosens the leash, you can catch up on reading past chapters and write obscenities on the walls as you please.

Coming Next: Scene 06: Beyond this Town  - Featuring Scenes from a Memory (copyright infringement) Running Diary.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #503 on: August 26, 2018, 05:55:56 PM »

10:09 – 10:42: First, that synth sound right after “welcome to the wasteland” is a focking stroke of genius. Second, who else heard “where you'll find hashish, nothing but hashish?”. Don't be shy.

10:42 – 11:15:   Take away The Metal and they're the greatest prog ensemble on earth, take away The Prog and they're potentially the greatest AOR act in the galaxy.

For each timestamp...first statement is YES, the next statement is NO.

So wrapping up FII, I was extremely disappointed.
It felt like they were selling out, big time. My 3 song FII EP (Peruvian Skies/Lines/Trial) was amazing, but Geez, WTF happened to Dream Theater. I really don't have an issue with Derek. In many way, he plays a similar role as Kev on Awake. But I prefer I&W Kev, a much more active participant. I, and DT, would have to wait for the next album for that.

Also, I agree that FII sounds amazing. But vocally it is a huge downgrade from I&W and Awake. The vocals sound very weak and thin. We did not know about James' "accident" at the time, obviously. But something was definitely wrong in the vocal department.

Alex, enjoy your vacation. When you return in 2024, I should be up to 60,000 posts!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Vacations Hyatus (less than 8 years this time)
« Reply #504 on: September 05, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »
Tanned, massaged and relaxed. Where do I go from here? Back inside the lamp, of course, and I must admit I've missed it. But I needed fresh mind and body for a really dense chapter, that is:

Scene 6 – Beyond This Town: Of Mice and Meh

How does “I'm gonna settle at 19 in an unknown city with no money and sustain myself by playing guitar while training for next year audition for a school producing starving egomaniacs inside an armpit niche career at best” rate in a Dumbest Plan Ever Scale? I dare say pretty focking high, and pretty focking high was my natural state for the whole ride.

I'm currently in a state of DTF roulette fascination, hence – lacking men to hang right now - I'm giving you 12 snippets of those two very indisciplined years. You don't have to guess a song, just guess how the fock did I manage to stay alive.

1. Having my guitar stuff stored by a baker shop, paying for it moving sacks of flour at dawn. Bonus points, I never lacked hot croissants in the morning and, well, the baker's daughter.

2. Sleeping for weeks with one eye closed inside an old empty train deposit in variegate company, waking up a couple times in proximity of people killed by unprotected winter. Sometimes mice were a solace, if only because alive.

3. Giving guitar lessons, paid in food and cigarettes. The Highway Star, Mr Crowley and Sultans of Swing solos were the best meals I ever had.

4. Forgetting where my car was parked after every focking intoxicated jazz gig with old walking corpses hence sleeping on bar counters. I tell you, rockers are literal choirboys compared to some well weathered jazz rats.

5. Pretending to be one of the parking lot guys at big concerts and fleeing with scraps as soon as the actual parking lot guys caught wind. The adrenaline was worthier than the money and sometimes I got to see a lot of bands drama exiting venues.

6. Hypnotising the recording studio guy into getting plastered so he couldn't notice I hadn't studied my take and was brutally sight reading straight into AcidPro. Not really use adding I didn't last long, but the guy is still a dear friend of mine.

7. Borrowing rooms from casual girlfriends (Let's just say it's completely impossible to keep up the girlfriend numbering thread gimmick at this point. We'll come back to that introducing the witch playing Wife#1) and hastily redecorating them for the once in a year day my parents were visiting/checking on me. I have always suspected Dad was totally on to my ruse, but was too amused and in a way proud to spill the beans.

8. Completely mangling to the brink of actual detachment my left ring finger during a brawl with an arsehole taxi driver stealing my cell phone and giving up on guitar for the foreseeble future. My finger looks terrible to this day but I'm still able to play on reduced speed/strenght, I doubt the taxi driver has been able to chew for a while.

9. Working as the guy reading and noting the numbers on water meters inside public housing projects. Great when the occasional crazy 40 years old lady opened the door naked, not so great when the occasional 60 years old irsute guy did it.

10. Thanks to the above mentioned recording studio guy, I got a lot of gigs dubbing videogames voices. I must have grunted as an orc or yelled as a soldier a million times.

11. Using the little bit of spare money to watch basketball games in a town dubbed Basket City at the time, featuring TWO European Elite teams (and players like Young Ginobili and Decrepit 'Nique) for a population of no more than 500k souls. That's crazy. Obviously cd buys suffered, but given the state of music between 1997 and 1999 I'd say the choice was right.

12. Not showing at the FOCKING AUDITION because too high. My personal masterpiece in hitting rock bottom. I chose growing up over suicide, and that really set me straight into the well balanced man you all know and love. One year later, ready to try again and eventually succeed, I even bothered to buy the best DT cd since the one that started all this madness.

BONUS SNIPPET: The Phone Call. Right after the audition I called Mom, and together we produced the most surreal exchange in the history of mother-son communication. I focking dare you to find a better one, you can't.

“Mom, I set my head straight”

“ThankGodThankGodThankGodThankGodThankGodThankGodThankGodThankGod”

“I'm not playing guitar for a living anymore”

“I love you, I've always loved you. I'm slaughtering the fatted calf and pouring myrr in your room”

“I'm going to be a singer/actor”

“Fock you monster”

Coming Next: Metropolis pt2 – Scenes from a Memory Recap

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Vacations Hyatus (less than 8 years this time)
« Reply #505 on: September 05, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

I'm currently in a state of DTF roulette fascination, hence – lacking men to hang right now - I'm giving you 12 snippets of those two very indisciplined years.

:lol

Nice.

Not sure how I feel about that entry. Sad, dirty, lucky?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 06: Beyond This Town (SFAM)
« Reply #506 on: September 06, 2018, 12:44:47 AM »
Revolting, Childish? *wink wink*
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:17:24 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: September 06, 2018, 06:34:06 AM »
Oh, were we supposed to read this installment as something other than fiction? A nineteen-year-old, in 1999, on the run no less, being able to afford a cell phone stretches the boundaries of credibility, but hey, what do I know? Maybe rates were cheaper in Italia. ;)

Any way, it sounds pretty rough. We've all had to swim through our own rivers-of-shit but it appears yours was especially chunky. I'm glad you made it through.

I love your mother! I'm serious. If I wasn't already otherwise engaged I'd be pming you for an introduction.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #508 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »
Lols. I even censored the worst. We were really cheap in those pre-Euro years, not mentioning paying for my cell phone was the only condition Mom accepted in order to not sic the entire police force, army, secret service and firefighters on me 24/7. She may not be an Italian mom, but she's a mom. Speaking of which, I'll send your regards, Dean.

A question for the reader base, if I may. Do you prefer I stick to the recaps/DT side of things and avoid my personal narrative or is it fine the way it is?
Be brutally honest, guys. I just want to pleasantly entertain without causing discomfort.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: September 06, 2018, 07:51:33 AM »
My favourite moments so far were from your personal narrative, so I'm fine with the way it is now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: September 06, 2018, 08:18:29 AM »
I concur. The personal self-deprecation is especially entertaining. Mixing them in with the recaps is nothing short of brilliant.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #511 on: September 06, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
Just keep doing what you're doing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #512 on: September 07, 2018, 01:43:28 AM »
The Rat Pack has spoken, I take not being banned as JFK's implicit vote, let's carry on as usual then. Thanks guys.

I bought Scenes from a Memory out of sheer habit and sort of imaginary friendship obligation with the band. Part of me had deemed DT done after FII, the other part was too deep into shite and cleaning up said shite until the successful audition in '98 and – obviously - even deeper into a whole different genre during the following year(s) to even care. Trust me, when music becomes your job you really don't have time for music anymore. It sounds oxymor(on)ic, but that's the sad truth. 

Furthermore, once you get introduced to the works of musical minds such as Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, Jason Robert Brown and the likes, your listener parameters tend to shift a bit. Thank God the guys came out in '99 (but actually 2000 for me) with the perfect album to pull me back, Michael Corleone style. Any other album – with the exception of TA – would have failed at that time.

Now, I could just recap Regression and – as Stevie Nicks would say - be done in three lines. Unfortunately A) You said you want it personal B) There's sweet fock all to recap about Regression apart it beats “sweet dreams you bastard” as prog concept introduction every day of the week and twice on Sundays and the stereo tick tock is pretty clever C) Don't you wanna know about my terrible but winning audition?

01 – Regression: (to 20 years ago almost to a day now that I think about it):

Close your eyes and begin to relax

Relaxing wasn't an option. I had been drugs clean for roughly one year (twenty now, my worrying friends) and that's not a very good place to face future/no future pressure. Blunder #1: with the nice clerk girl (pulled straight outta Ghostbusters) trying to get me comfortable.

“You can warm up in the room to the left if you like”

“No, thanks. It's almost 40c and I'm sweating like a pig”

“Um … k, nevermind”

“Oh, now I get it. Where ...”

“NEVERMIND!”

Take a deep breath and let it out slowly

Sure, if you can breathe in the first place. Then I met the Principal/Musical Director/Main Singing Teacher/Half Divinity/Bondage Mistress. A small charismatic sarcastic Canadian 50 years old lady speaking Englitalian nonchalantly. You gotta be shitting me. Have I escaped from Mom's grasp just to find her exact clone holding my fate? Blunder #2:

“Nice, my favourite singer is Canadian”

“I personally know Celine, she's good”

“I meant James LaBrie”

“Is it a brand of cheese?”

Concentrate on your breathing, with each breath you become more relaxed

Gobshite. Singing test, smashed it with Heaven on Their Minds and Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. I felt awsome, then Blunder #3 happened:

“Pick a short music theme and go on up with it chromatically”

*Executes*

“Ehm, nice tessitura, but what theme was that?”

“Pictures of Home, Deep Purple, Machine Head, 1972. Main Riff, Ritchie Blackmore.”

Have you ever heard the sound of two worlds colliding? It sounded like a facepalm.

Imagine a brilliant white light above you, focusing on this light as it flows through your body

Definitely a truck's headlights in the opposite direction. Dance test a.k.a. Blunder #4:

“What's your coreography?”

“I don't do dance”

“You want to be a performer, right?”

“Not a dancing one”

“You have to dance in ensembles”

“I don't do ensembles”

What a cunt. But they made me pay for that sentence everyday for three years.

Allow yourself to drift off as you fall deeper and deeper into a more relaxed state of mind

Acting test. The biggest blunder yet the whole reason they saw something in me. I had studied my piece carefully, it was perfect as perfect could be at that developement stage. I felt confident and ready to strike. Too bad my monologue wasn't taken from any play, classical or modern, or any musical. It was a Bill Hicks routine I had on record. The panel went from disgust to distrust to horror to giggling to cracking up hooting in five minutes tops. Thanks, Bill.

Now as I count backwards from ten to one, you will feel more peaceful and calm

Oh, I was the chillest motherfocker by then. It was time for the coup de grace. Music theory test, my secret weapon. I am gonna sound arseholish proud for a minute, but I promise I'm resuming the self deprecation in a bit.

“Can you read music?”

(Holdmybeerholdnybeerholdmybeer) “Can I have that sheet, please?”

“So?”

“Can you play it by memory, madam?”

“Yes, I guess”

*Proceeds to flawlessly sing Something's Coming on first sight*

When your kids ask you why they're giving up social life and fun focusing on study instead, please read them this entry. Tell'em 'bout my story, tell'em about me, the Cunt of Italy.

You will enter a safe place where nothing can harm you

“We're interested in you, and low on males this year. You can sing and definitely have a way to be funny on stage ...”

“Thank you, madam”

“... But you can't dance”

“Well, I'll make them laugh even harder when dancing”

“Get out before I change my mind”

Obviously they needed my fee, but fock it. I was in.

If at any time you need to come back, all you must do is open your eyes

Wait a minute. Who the fock is Victoria?

Coming Next: Overture 1928

EDIT: Never too late for correcting something stupid
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:40:05 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2018, 05:35:31 PM »
*tumbleweeds*                          *tumbleweeds*                         *tumbleweeds*

Mmmmmmmm, how so? Perhaps:

That horrible oval ball activity has opened its season and everyone's distracted?

I made the mistake of making me look slightly cool?

GOT IT! Personal's alright but you gotta give us some focking timestamps!

As always, I live to serve, I really focking do:

02 – Overture 1928:

Lotsa lotsa reasons to be hyped, warranting some bullet points galore:

1. Yet another new guy on the keys. After Fredo and Sonny, will this one be finally our Michael?
2. Concept album with libretto while I'm in musical theatre school. You can't make up those things. My life inspires DT and it won't be the last time. (Nah, I'm not crazy, but it's a funny angle and please humour me?)
3. I need to know Big James is fine and the guys are writing for him and not for Tom Waits.
4. I want to fall in love again with my favourite band. I can't bear the thought of a future spent protecting myself from the likes of Tool, System of a Down and Coldplay. I have begged, borrowed and stolen, but still have dignity.
5. I never understood what Metropolis Pt1 talked about. Maybe this conceptual sequel will shed some clarity. Let's hope it does it more like The Godfather II than Matrix Reloaded.

Overtures are promises of themes to come, and we shall look at them like girls look at boys' hands or boys look at girls' moms. It's a way to peek into the future. Let's peek into this baby, a promise for each timestamp.

0:00 – 0:12: And suddenly I'm 14 all over again. You are promising you're gonna quote the song that proved me worthy in the eyes of my hero, you better bring the Epic Bongo back as well. After all, I'm still a DT fan ... Hell, I'm making demands ten seconds in!

0:12 – 0:27: A badass riff turns into a clever build-up device seven years later. You are promising the song we guilt-trip you into playing at every live show around here is going to be heavily repurposed. I dig it. Can you do the same with half FII, please?

0:27 – 0:45: Johnny M still at the helm, Mighty Mike still focking around with the splash … Johnny P has completely changed his rythm tone. I promise you will suffer if you've screwed with my favourite alien. Don't touch my paisà.

0:45 – 1:02: That was shy, new guy. I said Michael, not Tom Hagen. Gorgeous theme though. You are promising you WILL let my Canadian boy sing gorgeous themes, ARE YOU? Otherwise, what's the focking point? Just turn into LTE already and stop breaking my heart.

1:02 – 1:18: Need to call the Drumming Dad:

“Hey Dad!”

“It's 2:00 in the morning, you better be telling me you saw a talking burning bush and you want to spend the rest of your days as a beer brewing friar”

“We have different notions of burning bush. Anyways, drumming counsel”

“Maybe vasectomy WAS a thing in 1978 and I just didn't know ...”

“Listen, is it possible to invert your limbs and play the double bass part with your arms on cymbals and snare while playing the cymbals and snare part with your feet on the double bass?”

“Are you on peyote?”

“No, I promise. I just heard it.”

“Your boy Portnoy?”

“Yup”

“Then it's possible. Now fock off before the beast next to me wakes up and remembers you exist.”

“I love you”

1:18 – 1:35: That's more like it, new guy! In fact, that was impressive. Great patch, great technique and adherence to the progression. Do you guys promise you are going steady with Jordan? They don't grow on trees, you know.

1:35 – 1:53: Johnny P's lead tone has changed too, and it's focking glorious. And piano! Everything works good with piano, even better with Michelle Pfeiffer on top of it. Can this be the very last dance and will it last forever? I promise I'm being more careful on the complaint trigger from now on.

1:53 – 2:09: For those among you not familiar with the works of Steve Morse, THAT was a more faithful impression of Steve Morse than Steve Morse making an impression of Steve Morse. Meanwhile, our Mighty Mike goes …

Oh, wait. I promised I would use it should that happen:

2:09 – 2:26: The spectacular return of the Space Soda! This isn't just bringing me back to 1992, it's – in a meta mindfock way – bringing me back to 2011 when I started this folly among the general forum distrust on a day I was in a very dark place. I remember a stand up guy standing up and saying: “Give the guy a chance ...” The rest is history.

I promise I'll never forget that.

2:26 – 2:45: BIG JAMES MUST SING THIS THEME. BIG JAMES MUST SING THIS THEME. I promise I'm gonna break into the DT Custom Shop and pull a Dog Day Afternoon if it doesn't happen, gay boyfriend and all.

2:45 – 2:58: You know you are listening to Dream Theater when you can say  a segment reminds you of Yes, Rush and Iron Maiden in the same way. I promise this is making sense in my mind. Your mileage may vary.

2:58 – 3:08: Promise you're gonna develope this theme into at least ten minutes of funky bliss, please. I've been a good boy. I've taken my vitamins and said my prayers in 9/8. By the way, there is no focking way this riff wasn't written by Johnny M.

3:08 – 3:25: As Steve Rogers once told Tony Stark in the funny papers: “Leaders lead”. So, new guy, you have a fantastic lead. Promise we have finally found a keyboardist willing and able to be a musical leader. The dragon needs three heads. Think Blackmore-Lord-Paice.

3:25 – 3:27: Promise this is gonna bleed into a focking masterpiece …

Coming Next: 03 – Strange Deja-Vu
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:24:03 AM by Indiscipline »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: September 11, 2018, 05:43:51 AM »
*tumbleweeds*                          *tumbleweeds*                         *tumbleweeds*

Going to catch up today! I have the day off.

I don't read the entries unless I am listening along. I just haven't had the opportunity the last couple of days.

But very much looking forward.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #515 on: September 11, 2018, 06:16:28 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: September 11, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »

“We're interested in you, and low on males this year.

:rollin

That made me laugh. That's very interesting Alex. Enjoyed the read.

Now to put my headphones on...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #517 on: September 11, 2018, 08:30:39 AM »
I missed this installment the other day.

When your kids ask you why they're giving up social life and fun focusing on study instead, please read them this entry. Tell'em 'bout my story, tell'em about me, the Cunt of Italy.

:clap:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: September 11, 2018, 10:54:19 AM »

That horrible oval ball activity has opened its season and everyone's distracted?

Try not to be so sensitive! This isn't Steel Magnolias night at the Spinster Rotary Club. By the read counter, I'd say your still drawing a significant amount interest.

Lots to love about Overture 1928. I distinctly remember being quite drawn in at first listen. I had a lot of time on my hands at this point in my life. I was about a year into my second trek into bachelorhood and listening to music was my primary source of sanity. This record couldn't have come at a better time for me and Overture 1928 was the perfect opening.

1:53 – 2:09: Meanwhile, our Mighty Mike goes …

I still don't understand the "MP goes all Roger Rabbit" reference.

And for the longest time, I couldn't figure out why the Jessica Rabbit emote had a giant sperm cell hitting her in the face...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the rest of this album's commentary.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #519 on: September 11, 2018, 11:40:04 AM »

Try not to be so sensitive! This isn't Steel Magnolias night at the Spinster Rotary Club. By the read counter, I'd say your still drawing a significant amount interest.

What can I say, inside my motley clown heart lies a lily white insecure primadonna soul.

Pass the guacamole, would you dear? Bingo's a go.

1:53 – 2:09: Meanwhile, our Mighty Mike goes …

I still don't understand the "MP goes all Roger Rabbit" reference.

Anytime Johnny P goes nuclear virtuoso, Mike seems to need to step up and throws down a monster fill/groove. He can't resist.
Like Roger Rabbit hearing "shave and a haircut", he needs to go "two bits!"

In my defense, I had mumps in utero.

And for the longest time, I couldn't figure out why the Jessica Rabbit emote had a giant sperm cell hitting her in the face...

"She's just drawn that way"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: September 11, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2018, 07:08:38 AM »
First off, happy birthday Banging Big Bro! Boy, we getting old fast.

Second off, the italics text is me meta focking around with the plot. IT'S NOT THEORY, IT'S INNOCENT NONCANON DICKING AROUND! Jeez, people.

Third off, Ado was focking hated in 1928 too, thus:

03 – Strange Deja-Vu:

0:00 – 0:39: Kashmir mood punctuated by Mighty Mike in evident state of grace. Totally new overall sound from the guys, the word coming to mind is “compact”.

Nicholas has trouble sleeping – he has to Wait For (a hypnoterapist to) Sleep – and that's why he smokes cigarettes inside his SUV at 6:00 on a Christmas morning. I'm onto your symbolism, guys. Nicholas is clearly Kevin Moore.

0:39 – 0:56: Twenty seconds brimming with considerations. 1) Mike is inventing rythms like his life and honour depend on it 2) The new guy was late for the recording session 3) Johnny M knows the value of the Pelvic Thrust Slide.

Nicholas/Kevin has reached his favourite nightmare and he's literally Sorrounded in all the light.

0:56 – 1:55: Let's take advantage of the repeating verse to underscore the fact THIS is the range Big James shines in. Glad we cleared that, don't let me repeat myself.

Nicholas/Kevin has arrived to a house, obviously a Theater inside his Dream. Inside The Mirror (Awake) is focking baby Shirley (I&W). Got it? Kevin's nightmare/trauma: his stint with DT from MTV fame to split.   

1:55 – 2:14: That's a brilliant measured stroke of voicecraft, Mr Labrie. I love the airy mixed voice he's using to play Victoria. Furthermore, apart from George focking Michael, have you ever heard anything more similar to Freddie's baroque mezzavoce?

We already know Nicholas – from ancient Greek “nike”: sneaker made by baby slaves … scratch that, I mean “victory” - and Victoria – from ancient Duh: “victory” - are meant to be one and the same. Too transparent and a blatant misdirection attempt. The truth is Shirley is reaching for Kevin desperately asking what the fock went wrong after the perfect album.

2:14 – 2:31: Great hook, the kind I always feel they should shower their songs with. Question: Who's doing backing vocals here? Never heard that voice before.

Answer: It must be the one actually knowing what the fock went wrong after the perfect album.

2:31 – 2:53: Forget we're in presence of DT's best rocking riff to date, forget Johnny M's licks are nothing short of Squirish, forget the harmonics triplet is a new word inside the universal guitar vocaboulary. What I really want you to notice is the first instance of somebody successfuly duplicating the most cocky, ballsy, irriverent and dominating guitar sound in history: Ritchie Blackmore's tone.

No info. My meta doppleganger is just headbanging with me.

2:53 – 3:21: This is aggressive James done safely and right. Whatever raspiness beyond this should not be allowed. Plus, but it may be just me being crazy, that little chord semislide Johnny P gives us at the end of every riff turn strongly reminds me of Iommi's little chord semislides at the end of every Children of the Grave's riff turn. This last reference was actually my birthday present to the Banging Big Bro.

C'mon, it's writing itself. Nicholas/Kevin is now Caught in a Web. He must face what happened during two years of his life he has struggled to remove from memory. Innocence has Faded and he must understand how if he values Learning to Live.

3:21 – 3:48: I have only one word for you, or a state if you prefer: Kansas.

Inside his office (of strategic influence) our hero is acknowledging the fact he has indeed contributed to the perfect album and massively determined both the best and the worst features of a disappointing sequel.

3:48 – 4:13: I love the New Guy electing the Piano to make his entrance. It's like a Christmas gift straight from the DT Custom Shop finally reading my yearly letter. Also, while Big James voice doubling was totally arbitrary and just lame in FII, here it's the right choice for theme and plot. Someone used to sing “let the music be your master”. You never go wrong that way.

Who is “the one I only know trying to break free” if not Kevin Moore in 1994?

4:13 – 5:05: And onward to glory. Have you noticed there is no guitar solo anywhere? Have you noticed it's the right focking choice for this tune? Maturity!

You hope to find the truth, because your Lie left you Scarred and it's Pulling you Under.

Coming Next: 04 – Through My Words
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:23:35 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline New World Rushman

Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 04: Through My Galoshes (ACoS)
« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »
I am somehow way late on this thread, yet not so much.

I have re-listened to I&W and Awake over the past two days, in a completely new light, I owe my company about four solid hours of work that has not been getting done.

I am now up to ACoS, but wanted to highlight this little point of self-deprecating humor from months back. I haven't gone through the rest of the thread and don't know if it was already pointed out, from your first concert experience:

“No, man. Nobody wants a minute by minute running diary of a focking great song stuffed with a focking weirdo's inane comments. It's annoying, boring and stupid”

Words to live by.

Brilliant!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:33:34 AM by New World Rushman »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
A giant birthday wave to BBB! May your knuckles always clear the curb, good sir.

This installment was much like eating a large bowl of vanilla gelato. Hard to get enthused about prior to digging in, not terribly exciting during the process, but ultimately satisfying! I appreciate your attempt to spice things up by sprinkling the confection with nuggets of alternate plot, but too many mentions of KM give me canker sores.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #524 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:27 AM »
Okay, time for a bosk1 intervention.

I take not being banned as JFK's implicit vote

Truth be told, on that fateful day many years ago when this thread first appeared, I don't think I was initially paying attention.  I took notice a few posts in.  And my initial reaction was that the person posting it was obviously deranged and dangerous, and should probably be banned forthwith.  The irreverence and inanity was so over the top that it was a threat to the status quo.  Banning from the forum without further explanation was the neat, tidy, and expedient way to deal with this.  And yet...people seemed to like it.  So...I begrudgingly let it ride for a bit.  Maybe it was harmless.  Like a mysterious and uncomfortable skin rash that could either be irritating and embarrassing, but ultimately harmless and would go away all on its own, or could develop into a fatal flesh-consuming disease, I decided I would just keep a close eye on it with potent thermonuclear antibiotics close at hand, just in case, and hope for the best.

Ultimately, the threat subsided, and the beast vanished into the ether.  Threat abated.  And with a sigh of relief, I acquiesced to the pleas to send this to the archive.

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost.  History became legend.  Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the thread passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, it ensnared another group of unsuspecting forumers.

Darkness crept back into the forums of the world.  Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear, and the thread perceived its time had come.  [...and Indisipline returned.]  ...but then something happened that the thread did not intend.  It was followed and liked by the most unlikely creature imaginable: a forum admin, bosk1, of DTF.

And while I think the thread is still nuts, I have come to understand and appreciate a bit of the method to Indiscipline's madness.  :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

That's 5 :tup's  Don't squander them.

:spitcoffee:

That, sir, deserves a full-on lolavarium.

:rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rollin

Were you looking for this?

:crypt:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, and by the way, I am listening to Live Scenes with this thread in mind.  What a gorgeous experience.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:46:35 AM by bosk1 »