Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 136802 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 04: Through My Galoshes (ACoS)
« Reply #420 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:46 PM »
Guest stars: 60 years old church organist,

Oh cool. You knew Orbert back in the day?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 04: Through My Galoshes (ACoS)
« Reply #421 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
Fun fact: during a gig, while reading at the mic the mandatory note about cars parked wrong people needed to move (it actually happened back then), I performed this beauty: “... A white Mazda plated … Oh crap, it's mine! Be right back ...”

:spitcoffee:

Yay! The return of Big Banging Bro.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 05: Frontman Tragedy (FiI)
« Reply #422 on: August 06, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #423 on: August 08, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
Sometimes they come back indeed. Bigger, Banginger and, well, Brother i guess.

After such an unexpected gift, the least I could do was to taste the new disk with the man himself and – hear hear – the first heiress to the dysfunctional sitcom family: my little baby niece, whom we're calling MinIndiscipline.

Yep, the little hyperactive pest was my total diminuitive female portrait, so much that the Big Banging Bro still looks at me with unsettling suspicion from time to time. No worries, gang.  I wouldn't fock my bro's wife with my sister's dick. I have morals … and standards.

NOW we are in the mood for The Brilliant Identity Crisis Album:

01 – New Millennium

0:00 – 0:29: I knew it, my brother is the Major Moron. He must have bought the new Alan Parsons album by mistake. Sounding nice though.

Big Banging Bro's Take (BBB'sT from now on): Aaaaaand now, starting at shooting guard, 6'6 from Noooorth Carolinaaaa …

0:29 – 0:56: At least it's featuring Tony Levin. Sounding really nice, by the way.

BBB'sT: I'm hungry.

0:56 – 1:51: One whole focking minute on a straight 4/4 beat (not necessarily a bad thing), 59 changes of keyboard and guitar sounds (ditto). Going blind into this I would have NEVER told you I was listening to Dream Theater, I'm 50% confused, 50% intrigued = 100% excited. Very very nice sound, I would add.

BBB'sT: You like that sound? It's the sound of 5 sets of balls dropping on the recording studio's ground in unison.

1:51 – 2:35: Let's assess the situation here. Mike and Derek are playing “who's the cooler cat?” while the two Jonnies play the patient slightly bored adults. James, that register will never work with you. In the vocal track'n'field of life you're either a dasher or a long distance runner. Did I mention this is sounding real nice?

BBB'sT: Sure dear Alice Cooper sounds rejuvenated. Aren't you hungry? I'm hungry.

2:35 – 2:51: Double nasal James. Something's wrong here.

MinIndiscipline's Take: I want biscuits.

BBB'sT: BISCUITS!

2:51 – 3:13: Good rocker section, almost Purple in nature. Big James' voice is being tampered with though. Distant, thin, a 6 on the Joe Elliott Cheating Production On A Non-Existant Voice Scale. What the fock is happening here?

MinIndiscipline's Take: Pee-pee!

BBBT: Oooowww, she said Papa!

3:13 – 3:35: Hip to a fault. It's reminding me of my first King Crimson Discovery Binge, when – not caring about chronology – I jumped from In The Wake of Poseidon to Beat. At this point Big James is a luxury, we can do with Dave Gahan.

MinIndiscipline's Take: Ooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww ...

BBB'sT: Fock, she didn't say Papa. Where's Mom keeping the towels?

3:35 – 4:02: Glad to see the guys are following Awake's tradition of unmemorable openers filled with too much winking towards the latest fad. I'm afraid. I could end up like my niece right now.

BBBT: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

4:02 – 4:39: Give me the focking cover! Oh, still two morons staring at each other. I could have sworn it was jet black with a snake lightly laminate-painted on a corner. Carry on.

BBB'sT: I WANT MY LIFE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

4:39 – 4:54: Same “chorus”, a thought. This is like Bowie's last 20 years: “You are not sure you like it? Too much turnstyling? All sound no substance? I am David Focking Bowie, you are not. This is cool and you will learn to like it.” Well, I don't always trust the Duke, but I still trust DT. All things aside, it DOES sound great, you know.

BBB'sT: Gah! Do you think Sis would mind buying a baby girl?

4:54 – 5:14: Peter Gabriel!

BBB'sT: Peter Gabriel!

MinIndiscipline's Take: PETER PAN!

5:14 – 5:41: Nobody says “Fock it, I'm taking over” like Mighty Mike, nobody. What a brilliant display of creativity. Let's hope it's a start of something.

BBB'sT: *Air-daughter-drumming*

MinIndiscipline's Take: DADDY IT HURTS!

5:41 – 6:08: Is it possible to redeem a dubious tune with 30 seconds of Funky Bass, Sticks and Phaser? Fock yeah! I must have called the DT Custom Shop at least 437 times for a moment like this.

MinIndiscipline's Take: What does that fock word Uncle Al says mean, daddy?

BBB'sT: Don't focking curse, sweetie.

6:08 – 7:12: Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me … Town to keep me movin' keep me groovin' with some energy …

BBB'sT: Well, I talk about it talk about it talk about it talk about it TALK ABOUT TALK ABOUT TALK ABOUT MOOOOOVIN'

MinIndiscipline's Take: I WANT MUMMY!

7:12 – 7:42: *Headbanging, the three of us, Wayne's World style*

7:42 – 8:18:

“Oh, Hi Mom. How long have you been here?”

“Funkytown.”

“Hey Mom! Here's RRRRRrocking!”

“Drop my granddaughter slowly and give her to me. Now.”

I ain't gonna lie, this wasn't terrible. It was so new and unpredictable in so many aspects to make it a terrific teaser for things to come. Sometimes that's all you ask of an opener. If only the real James LaBrie would please stand up?

I was forgetting, it sounds great.

Coming Next: You Not Me

EDIT: Gregg, you're a friend.

EDIT 2: Should have never pointed out the Dire Straits thing. *wink buddy wink*
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:13:42 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: August 08, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
“Drop my nephew slowly and give her to me. Now.”

I predict an edit soon...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #425 on: August 08, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: August 08, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »
I just assessed the situation and found a problem. *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #427 on: August 08, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #428 on: August 08, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
Also, reason #141 I love these guys is their average intros are longer than a Ramones song. Foreplay, dammit!

:lol  Funny AND true.

Well, no natural 20 on your first roll.

An 11 with a +1 for references to Sanatarium, the glockenspiel, and Soylent Green each = 14 which isn't too shabby. But I'm going to award you a +2 for Baby Derek (Beau Derek?) which gets you to 16! Against AC 4, that's a hit, baby.

Roll your damage!

:lolpalm:

Yeah, late to the party, I know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: August 08, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »
EDIT 2: Should have never pointed out the Dire Straits thing. *wink buddy wink*

:lol

I only do it because I care. I really focking do!

---------------------------

I missed Falling Into Infinity when it first came out. The local rock station was playing You Not Me on light rotation for a month after it was released and I wasn't impressed. Then I just forgot about it. After Scenes From a Memory was released I ended up going back and buying FII to see if there was something I missed.

Like you, I wasn't sure what to think of New Millennium on my first listen. It sounded great but it was so different that I was a bit disorienting disoriented.

These days, it's pretty much an automatic skip.

Edit: Because JFK is in the house.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:47:48 PM by Podaar »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #430 on: August 08, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
I was a bit disorienting.

You still are, my friend.  You still are.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: August 08, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #432 on: August 08, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Bosk, party's always on, join at your leisure.

Sans Nurse would be great but the ballroom is yours after all.

Gregg, you are what you is *wink*

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #433 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »
Let's try something new, because you really can't micro-breakdown a run-of-the-mill pop song.

02 - You Not Me

Intro/Verse:

in

PreChorus/Chorus:

Riff/Verse:

in

PreChorus/Chorus:

Solo:

PreChorus/Chorus:

Outro:

I usually give a lot of chances to universally hated songs, and this is actually a very competent potential hard pop hit. The fact is Dream Theater just don't come with the natural tools to make it effective, that is swagger and a certain degree of sexual beastness, while their innate tools are completely lost on a rather plain planned tune. Plus, will Two Morons focking stop giving me Big James in two 50 cent coins instead of one dollar bill?

Coming Next: Peruvian Skies

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: August 09, 2018, 07:36:23 AM »
Oh,

Yeah, this is just not a very good song for the band. They just never sell it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:43:03 AM by Podaar »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
Love the random pic of Steve Morse. :lol

Anyway...

Even though I did see one of the Fix For '96 shows, it was a long time for FII to come out. Dream Theater was my favorite band, but in the time between Awake and FII, a lot had changed. I refer to it as the Ice Age of my life. Out of nowhere, I got divorced and married The Lovely Mrs TAC. All between albums. :lol

So I was in a totally different place.

My first thought listening to New Millenium is that this was the focking lamest attempt to recreate a Metropolis vibe. Where's the guitars? Where's James?
Indiscipline, I think you and I are in lockstep on James.
And while it's production does help its aging process, I don't ever remember thinking in real time how nice it sounded.

I was quite unimpressed with new Millenium.

So after the focking barf that You Not Me is, I formally declared them as selling out. I believe I said to my self, "Well thatwas a short run for a band." I could've died a happy DT death after I&W, and again after Awake. But since they're still making albums, it wouldn't make much sense.

Dream Theater, a new band that I declared my favorite band just as quickly deserted me.

Looking forward to Peruvian Skies, the first track of what would become known as thethree song FII EP.

Oh, and Derek...As a huge Alice fan, I was more than familiar with him. I thought as a on tour fill in, I thought he was a great choice. But I NEVER bought in on him actually joining my favorite band. A band of intense musicianship, that musicians looked up to in awe. He didn't fit. At All.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #436 on: August 10, 2018, 03:46:30 AM »
Gregg, my sig is your hostage now. *hats off*
By the way, my wife is more a Pink VW Beetle.

Tim, here's a quotesnack for the road. Have fun and mind those focking bears:

Of course, the least random reference in this thread history *snickers*
You couldn't produce a more Morse solo if you tapped your fingers on a table in code.

Dream Theater was my favorite band, but in the time between Awake and FII, a lot had changed. I refer to it as the Ice Age of my life. Out of nowhere, I got divorced and married The Lovely Mrs TAC. All between albums. :lol

Change Awake and FII with BL&SL and ADToE and that's exactly what happened in my life. Except I married a different woman, obviously.

Indiscipline, I think you and I are in lockstep on James.

Well, the guy's back must hurt as hell then.

Looking forward to Peruvian Skies, the first track of what would become known as thethree song FII EP.

What If Appendix Excerpt: Call the DT Custom Shop, have them keep Peruvian, Anna Lee, Kitchen/Lines, Trial, Budokan Hollow Years and just add SDOIT disk 2. Et Voilΰ. SDOIT disk 1 goes with Octavarium (the song) and The Answer Lies Within after you dump the rest of the album. I'm the Danny Ainge of album roster mixing.

Oh, and Derek...As a huge Alice fan, I was more than familiar with him. I thought as a on tour fill in, I thought he was a great choice. But I NEVER bought in on him actually joining my favorite band. A band of intense musicianship, that musicians looked up to in awe. He didn't fit. At All.

According to a very interesting chat I had with Stef Burns 15 years ago, it seems Derek is a way more serious musician than his antics may suggest.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:52:16 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: August 10, 2018, 06:04:35 AM »

Sure, but with her top down as often as it's up. Thus, cabriolet.

I don't have people's sigs enabled.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: August 10, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »

Of course, the least random reference in this thread history *snickers*

I know, right? Our little buddy is reference challenged so much of the time and then you lob a softball over the plate for him. He whiffs at it hard core and then nods knowingly. It makes you want to Benny Hill his noggin until his glass eye falls out!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #439 on: August 10, 2018, 06:40:22 AM »

Sure, but with her top down as often as it's up. Thus, cabriolet.

That's ... that's just ... wr ...

Right. That's right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: August 10, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »
Mrs. P rebuked me for being mean to my fellow DTFers and had me change my personal text. :emo:

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #441 on: August 10, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
Ooowww. Let's go catch a drink ... or twelve.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #442 on: August 10, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »
According to a very interesting chat I had with Stef Burns 15 years ago, it seems Derek is a way more serious musician than his antics may suggest.

Wait, WHAT???  Stop right there.  That is a name that is not well-known at all (on these forums, and in the music community as a whole, outside of maybe Italy), and he is a pretty reclusive guy as well, so I am DYING to hear more about this chat.  Do tell!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: August 10, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »
Ooowww. Let's go catch a drink ... or twelve.

Your on, mi amigo.

Wait, WHAT???  Stop right there.  That is a name that is not well-known at all (on these forums, and in the music community as a whole, outside of maybe Italy), and he is a pretty reclusive guy as well, so I am DYING to hear more about this chat.  Do tell!

Bosky sniffing for inside info on Y&T?  :)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #444 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
PM

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: August 10, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »
S

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #446 on: August 10, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »

Bosky sniffing for inside info on Y&T?  :)

;)  But of course!  :lol  Well, not inside info.  I had a pipeline for that.  But I am always keen on Y&T-related info in general.  I had only one personal experience with Stef myself, so I am curious.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #447 on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:12 AM »
Crap. Now I know who was on the grassy knoll.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #448 on: August 10, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
You know, I'm sitting her pondering the "inside track" I have had with a handful of bands over the years.  It's interesting to note to myself that those pipelines seem to have, at one time or another, involved a connection with their good-looking blonde wives.  :lol  Strange coincidence.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #449 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
Tell me, Jack, who was the more pissed off, Joe DiMaggio or Henry Miller?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #450 on: August 10, 2018, 09:51:15 AM »
Hey now!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: August 10, 2018, 10:15:41 PM »

I knew as soon as I read that, that your ears would perk right up.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #452 on: August 11, 2018, 05:20:08 AM »
Name drops keep falling on my head
And just like the guy whose mouth
Is too big for his thread ...

Didn't mean to stir the pot, although this album's side recap could definitely use some pizzaz. It's feeling like a sad attempt at kinky sex after twenty years of marriage so far.

But now, Science Fiction Double Feature!

Yeah, two songs running diary. It's not my fault the general musical content weighs like 45 seconds of Metropolis, throw me a bone here.

03 – Peruvian Skies:

0:00 – 0:17: The Two Morons are removing their masks! They are Bob Rock and Lars Ulrich! Next on Monday Night Nitro, Paul Heyman spinning what the fock has happened in the last three years!

0:17 – 0:34: I know when I'm wrong, I jumped the Black Album gun. Let me correct myself … Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far ...

0:34 – 1:09: James, glad to hear the Struggle Between Your Registers Has Ended. Plus, you really can't sound more Floydish than that guitar slide.

1:09 – 1:48: As far as I know, the first instance of DT in full Ύ mode and loving it. Every genre of music drives the message home 30% better on a tertiary pace and I will use my knuckles to defend that point.

1:48 – 2:40: Big James has come to play! Big James has come to play! Plus, Derek managed to out-floyd Johnny P with that tasty Rhodes.

2:40 – 3:22: Same same, BUT leave it to Johnny M to still try to be unpredictable inside this (neatly produced) ode to musical erectile disfunction.

3:22 – 3:45: Of course, put it through a 6/8 break rocking treatment, and your willy suddenly gets up. Ok, dick jokes over, seriously.

3:45 – 4:19: See, Kirk? That's how you Cry your Baby. And, as always happens, whenever Johnny P shifts gears, Mighty Mike throws himself into the song and competes.

4:19 – 4:38: Say your prayers, little one, don't forget, my son, to include everyone ... I am not sorry, I am late.

4:38 – 5:00: Cute. Derek thinks he's Paul Gilbert, and slightly addicted to that rush.

5:00 – 5:16: You have probably forgotten this bit, but it's actually the most interesting part of the song.

5:16 – 5:31: Alright, song saved. This riff is focking golden. A tad derivative, but golden.

5:31 – 5:54: It keeps going better and better. Thanks Mike, really.

5:54 – 6:06: … And the captain turned the Full On Helloween signal on.

6:06 – 6:40: Let's see whether is it acceptable to sum up a tune this way: “A victory by virtue of a solid crunch time performance and a spectacular buzzer beater.”

04 – Hollow Years:

0:00 – 0:13: You think I can't do my trick without notes? Blaze of Glory! There.

0:13 – 0:38: See? Notes only fock things up. Parisienne Walkaways, the elevator version! I'm on a focking roll.

0:38 – 1:03: Ok, now I get it: If blood will flood when flesh and steel are one ... I'm not stopping until I begin to focking believe what I'm hearing.

1:03 – 1:28: Oh, are we using Rickenbeckers now?

1:28 – 1:57: Congratulations, guys. You have officially made your way into the panties lowering business. Pull me undies, I'm not afraid.

1:57 – 2:10: I think I heard this bit when Girlfriend#1 (still active) dragged me to watch Four Weddings and a Funeral. I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes.

2:10 – 3:29: Cut and paste. So far they have tried their hand at four very marketable genres, and I could live without that. If you allow me a leap into the future, this is nothing but Octavarium (not the song) dress rehearsals.

3:29 – 3:53: Let's give it to Johnny P. Even through the perfect storm he just can't make something not extremely tasteful.

3:53 – 4:21: C'mon, even the trite key jump! DT Custom Shop lines must be red hot.

4:21 – Top of the Pops: I hereby take this vow: if this is the song finally getting Girlfriend#1 into DT, I'm focking dumping her, not them.

Coming Next (thanks to Mother-in-law): Burning My Soul

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #453 on: August 11, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
I don't understand half of your references, probably since I didn't start listening to metal until I was 13 and even then only Dream Theater.

That said, I never liked Peruvian Skies for some reason, probably since I tie it to a terrible school field trip to some stupid chemistry lab.

Hollow Years remains one of my favorites, probably since I was still wading into metal and it successfully latched on like a leach.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #454 on: August 12, 2018, 05:14:53 AM »
I don't understand half of your references, probably since I didn't start listening to metal until I was 13 and even then only Dream Theater.

I'd chalk that up to me failing to make sense at least half of the times *smiles*

After all, I know a guy who could write the book of metal and still has an abysmal record on reference catching ...