Author Topic: Scenes From My Memory v. Honor Thy Father  (Read 136910 times)

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Scenes From My Memory v. Scene 04: Through My Galoshes (ACoS)
« Reply #385 on: August 02, 2018, 01:39:49 AM »
A Change of Seasons, book II: Wankeries of Winter Night

Alas, poor Sturm.

(Advil's on me)

(Carpe Diem, The Darkest of Winters)

6:55 – 7:15: It's a mystery to me, the game commences ... Sorry, couldn't help it.

7:15 – 8:12: Baby, I'm Gonna Leave You before Supper's Ready. But I'm leaving you successfully testing Aces High glorious key change on a ballad segment. Blasphemous enough?

8:12 – 8:20: Oooooh, I'm standing on my desk now, captain.

8:20 – 8:47: In order to reach epic level 10, you really need BOTH Kevin and James LaBrie. Real DT started with his voice and real DT will end with it as well, focking period.

8:47 – 9:07: Mighty Mike must really love his Tomorrow Never Knows, and I can't really find a more appropriately titled reference for a section named Carpe Diem.

9:07 – 9:28: Carpe Bass, superb display of class with those notes unconventionally ringing free. No need to show off when you know exactly what you want to convey.

9:28 – 9:48: That “goodbye” killed me. It carries the whole weight and meaning of the song, just like another pretty intense and prog historycal “goodbye” uttered 26 years before.

9:48 – 10:09: So much love so rare to dare, afraid of ever being there … Now, I COULD help it, but I love the fact the two albums came out during the same focking week.

10:09 – 10:31: There are small and rare instances – and I'm saying this with all the love and respect in the world – wherein DT sounds like a full fledged warming up excercise. Glad we cleared the air on that.

10:31 – 10:40: It's snowing outside but rumbling sound of engines roar in the nigh ... Nah, now I'm just taking the piss.

10:40 – 11:05: First solo by the New Guy! Very cool patch and filters, and distinguished Lordish quirks. Need more to figure the bloke out though.

11:05 – 11:30: The New Guy is having some sort of influence on Johnny P. I have never heard him so much focking bluesy. Sykesish, even.

11:30 – 11:54: Alright, I like to fock around with song similarities and have a Andrew Dice Clay sense of self-censorship in that regard, but I must confess I am not at ease typing Return to Forever as reference point.

11:54 – 12:19: I love this crunchy guitar sound, it tickles my ears. My ears are tickled. Johnny P cares about tone and tone variety and we all overlook that fact. Not really shocking, since we live in a world where finger speed and technics have grown esponentially but tone research basically has yet to go past Hendrix and Beck. (Indiscipline, 1995)

12:19 – 12:30: Yeoshua Ben Yosif Christ, Johnny M! That was faster than Joey DiMaio with his pick and cheater bass neck!

12:31 – 12:54: There is no way in hell this bit wasn't concocted as a Live Show Courtains Call Staple, and I love it. “Elaborate introspective piece about real life tragedies, caducity of time, regret and remorse … Wait! LET'S SHOWBOAT FOR THE CAMERAS!”  I think Kevin Moore is chuckling like me somewhere.

12:54 – 13:01: This bit makes me think of Rise And Fall, an even more controversial choice for a roulette than Dr. Stein, by the way. *prancing noob emoticon*

Coming Next: A Change of Seasons, book III: Solos of Spring Dawning

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: August 02, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »
Okay, the Dragon has initiative this round. Let's see how your ancient Brightblade Family armor protects you (AC 0).

-1 to hit each for references of, "good bye" and JP's bluesy solo. = -2

But you really stumbled with Dire Straights, RHCP and Aces High references. = +3

Total, +1 to hit with a THAC0 of 14. *rolls a D20* 19!  *rolls 4D10* [5,3,5,10] You take 23 damage from a contemptuous claw swipe.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #387 on: August 02, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »
Let me set my Google Translate on Dork to English.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #388 on: August 02, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »
But you really stumbled with Dire Straights

But I am not the only one, Mr DM. *tongue in cheek emoticon*

Let me set my Google Translate on Dork to English.

Wait, wasn't it the default setting for this thread since day one?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: August 02, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »
I'm so glad they got rid of THAC0 mechanic in later editions.

I would apologize for off-topic but I don't think it's necessary in this thread. Carry on.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
It's hell to have my English corrected by an Italian.
« Reply #390 on: August 02, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
But you really stumbled with Dire Straights

But I am not the only one, Mr DM. *tongue in cheek emoticon*

Oh yeah, huh...
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
It's better than showing my genitals, I guess.
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »

Did they? I guess I'm showing my age.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: August 02, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »

Don't worry, we youngsters will carry the nerd-torch for this generation.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Eat your heart out, Blobvandam
« Reply #393 on: August 02, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »

The nerd never leaves me completely. When I was writing my post to Indiscipline I couldn't just make up numbers for the die rolls. I literally went to this website to get the numbers.  :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #394 on: August 02, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »

Truer words have never been spoken. Oh, wait ...

I would apologize for off-topic but I don't think it's necessary in this thread.

... These are even truer!

Gregg, prepare yourself for a once in a lifetime event.

Ready?

;)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
More geek talk
« Reply #395 on: August 02, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
Lshidmtamsfo!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Eat your heart out, Blobvandam
« Reply #396 on: August 02, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »

The nerd never leaves me completely. When I was writing my post to Indiscipline I couldn't just make up numbers for the die rolls. I literally went to this website to get the numbers.  :lol

That's... commendable. :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Eat your heart out, Blobvandam
« Reply #397 on: August 02, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »

Yeah, sure.

You rolled the real fockers on your coffee table!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: August 02, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
I preferred Cosmic Wimpout in college.. :hat

Did my listen through this morning before work.

Didn't catch some of the references...Return To Forever, Tomorrow Never Dies...

But I loved the reference to Joey Dimaio. cheater bass neck  :lol

I can see the Where Eagles Dare. Seems I'm not the only one who preferred Cosmic Wimpout in college...

Love the JM references. He really shines on this. And James..well, this is a sneaky fan-f'n-tastic performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #399 on: August 03, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »
So, on this day in 'lonestar needs to visit the DT side of the forum more'...

Actually I didn't even visit, I finally made the connection after seeing your posts in Jingle's roulette, and had to search to see if the greatest thread in DT history had been revived, and lo and behold!!!!!

Finished Images and Words, wonderful job, I'll get to the other albums later. Thanks for coming back bro!!!

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »

Didn't catch some of the references...Return To Forever, Tomorrow Never Dies...

I live to serve, I really focking do, so:

Return to Forever: The greatest band of jazz-rock musicians ever assembled (Chick Corea, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Billy Cobham, Jean-Luc Ponty)

Tomorrow Never Dies: Mediocre James Bond flick, yet I meant ...
... Tomorrow Never Knows: Beatles gem hidden inside Revolver.

So, on this day in 'lonestar needs to visit the DT side of the forum more'...

Actually I didn't even visit, I finally made the connection after seeing your posts in Jingle's roulette, and had to search to see if the greatest thread in DT history had been revived, and lo and behold!!!!!

Finished Images and Words, wonderful job, I'll get to the other albums later. Thanks for coming back bro!!!

Well met again, my man! Many thanks for the very kind words.

Being the forum herpes, I was bound to come back.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: August 03, 2018, 08:09:57 PM »
Mediocre James Bond flick

That's redundant.

... Tomorrow Never Knows: Beatles gem hidden inside Revolver.

I will proudly tell you right now that I will not understand ANY Beatles reference. Seriously. yeah yeah yeah.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #402 on: August 03, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
You'll get by with a little help from your friends.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #403 on: August 03, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
We're Staaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrssssssss :corn

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #404 on: August 04, 2018, 02:40:15 AM »
I always thought of the "showboat for the cameras" bits and Return to Forever references the same way... Hahaha

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #405 on: August 04, 2018, 07:15:11 AM »
Lucas (can I call you Lucas?), sick minds think alike, irmγo.

Tim you can drive my car.

Let's take this saga home before the focking heat wave is done cooking my brain:

A Change of Seasons, book III: Solos of Spring Dawning

(Another World, The Inevitable Summer, The Crimson Sunset)

13:01 – 13:28: What's in your heeeeeeaaaaaaad, in your heeeeeeeaaaaaaad … Sorry, couldn't help it. By the way, rest in peace Dolores.

13:28 – 14:20: The guys could really be the focking Kings of Pop, if so inclined. Big James as Secret Lethal Weapon and Johnny M dropping harmonics like pearls. They weirdly remind me of Styx on this regard.

14:20 – 14:46: And the Space Soda has FINALLY found its natural soulmate: the motherfocking Piano. I've got a fever and the only prescription is more piano.

14:46 – 15:12: Phil Spector key change! Phil Spector key change! Sneaky educated fockers.

15:12 – 15:39: Ok, now breathe and hear me out. This one is gonna sting:

When the priest comes to read me the last rites, take a look to the bars at the last sights of a world that has gone very wrong for me ... Sorry, couldn't help it.

15:39 – 16:31: Another Day Solo is all grown up and fat free! Epicness and feeling in the less possible amount of notes. Johnny P, I honestly didn't know you had it in you and I humbly bow my head. No more doubts from now on.

16:31 – 16:59: Fock the F sharp, young singers, that's gymnastics. You are going to hit it one hundred times before you're remotely capable to sustain this bit convincingly.

16:59 – 18:36: Fock the Under a Glass Moon solo, young guitarists, that's … ok, that's focking awesome, nevermind. But THIS! This is my favourite JP solo until Budokan reinvention of a pop ballad or Portnoy's dad eulogy. Freedom and genius on groove on a Eddie Hazel level, which in my book is as close to godhood as you can get.

18:36 – 18:52: Focking Fishbone? Interesting.

18:52 – 19:24: And the New Guy eventually pops his cherry. Cool patch again and a ton of attitude. We're a notch above Dr Moore technically speaking, and at a 180 turn philosophically. Kevin's solos were John Stockton, Derek's are Allen Iverson.

Future Note: Before you ask, Jordan's are Magic (piano), Isiah Thomas (synth/moog), Michael J Fox (continuum)

19:24 – 19:55: Thank god a feral wah-wah intervened before I could yell Nirvana. Gregg would have forced me to take, and fail, a Death Ray Save Throw.

19:55 – 20:13: First hint the circle is closing. I feel cared about as listener with DT. Don't take that for granted.

20:13 – 20:36: This section is bringing tears of musical joy to my eyes for 25 years, I'm serious. I need to step out of rock music's boundaries to find an appropriate emotional comparison. Think Gluck's Orpheus or Mozart's Figaro Wedding. Also, I still don't know how to call that cymbal, but it's focking killer.

20:36 – 21:01: Big James, you keep Dickinsoning your voice like that and it's gonna be trouble. Please, be careful.

21:01 – 22:36: What a glorious dragon ride, Kitiara. Also, that was humanly unsingable.

22:36 – 23:03: And the story ends where it began. Maybe the fine men at the Dream Theater Custom Shop were right. This sort of spontaneous Portnoy's personal The Wall is better living forever as an insulated wonderful piece. 23 timeless minutes.

This chapter went fast. The next one is where I take my first adult steps into active music, so after we've sputtered the talk it's time to stumble the walk.

Coming Next: Scene Five: Frontman Tragedy – Two Morons and Two Morons (featuring Falling into Infinity Running Diary)

EDIT: Typo Demon is AC -20
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:41:59 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #406 on: August 04, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »
Wonderful episode.  Too much that I agree with to quote it all.  ACOS is not my favorite DT song but if I had to choose only 1 DT song and it would be the only one I could ever hear again, it would be ACOS.

Tutorial update:  Completed Dick Burton level.  Had to do a side mission and kidnap Shirley Maclaine then sacrifice her at Dick's feet while reciting lines from "Faust".  She didn't complain too much, said she would enjoy another turn on respawn lottery.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
*laughing out focking loud emoticon*

You are ready for level three, where you get to multi-class if you wish:

Friday Night Shane MacGowan, if he should fall from grace with God.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #408 on: August 04, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »

We're off to the witch..

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #409 on: August 04, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
You've been down too long in the midnight sea.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #410 on: August 04, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
...a sea of green in our yellow submarine.

Wait..what?

I'm doing Dio and YOU'RE doing Beatles. It didn't take you long to fock it up, did it? ;D

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #411 on: August 04, 2018, 06:23:17 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #412 on: August 04, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
Tee-hee

I got you quoting Beatles.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #414 on: August 04, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: August 06, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
No reason to go into the mechanics of it. Like the hero that you are, you waited until the tail of the dragon was exposed, made your saving throw, unveiled your greater dragonlance, and dropped the beast where it stands.

I especially liked this bit:
16:31 – 16:59: Fock the F sharp, young singers, that's gymnastics. You are going to hit it one hundred times before you're remotely capable to sustain this bit convincingly.

16:59 – 18:36: Fock the Under a Glass Moon solo, young guitarists, that's … ok, that's focking awesome, nevermind. But THIS! This is my favourite JP solo until Budokan reinvention of a pop ballad or Portnoy's dad eulogy. Freedom and genius on groove on a Eddie Hazel level, which in my book is as close to godhood as you can get.

Nice work, Alessandro (I'm pronouncing it in the Spanish way today, because it's just so sexy and you deserve it)!

-------------------------

On a personal note: I have always loved side 2 of the EP, "Thank you very much. Well, this is a very special night for us. It shall be interesting, let's see what happens along the wayheyhey."

It still amazes me how JP can imitate any other guitarists tone and style with such accuracy and still throw a little Petrucci in it. The selection of tunes is great and Derek's contributions are fantastic.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 06, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »

We're off to the witch..

You've been down too long in the midnight sea.

...a sea of green in our yellow submarine.

Now we know how many a-holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #417 on: August 06, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »

Nice work, Alessandro (I'm pronouncing it in the Spanish way today, because it's just so sexy and you deserve it)!

Thanks, my friend! Actually you got the perfect Italian spelling.

Waaaaaaay sexier.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: August 06, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »

Thanks, my friend! Actually you got the perfect Italian spelling.

Yes, but emphasizing the "ALE" and slightly lisping the SS and not rolling the R (because I'm 'Mercan and can't roll R's).

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #419 on: August 06, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
And that's exactly how me mummy pronounces it. She can roll the R, but she's a stubborn lovely focking Geordie at heart.

Cue some smartass posting the Lady Gaga gif …

But I digress,

Scene Five: Frontman Tragedy – Two Morons and Two Morons.

We made it to 1997, folks, and the view ain't pretty.

I was completely out of my personal hard rock / heavy metalish phase by then. Snobby posh choice? Like fock. The reason was sad'n'simple: hard rock and heavy metal WERE out of their hard rock / heavy metalish phases.

I'm sparing you the gory details, but the scene was comparable to Waterloo's battlefield the morning after the clash. The old glories were DONE, leaving the stage to bland palliatives as the Brit Poppers, passing shoes too big to fill to impostors as Pantera, and don't even get me started on the most overrated band in rock history. Hint: it starts with radio and rhymes with dickhead.

As five years before, I was alone with Dream Theater, praying for a new release that seemed to never come. Correction, I wasn't actually alone. I had befriended a musical moron like me, a partner in crime sharing too many ambitious dreams and sucky bands.

Enter P, drummer extraordinaire, graduated near TAC (ironically as Mangini's student) and currently living the jazzman life in the Big Apple. But long before that he was my friend, my DM, and my drummer in my 10 Labors of Young Frontman Still Undecided Between Guitar And Vocals Hence Focking Up Both Indiscipline, transpired between Baby Derek and the album we will call Two Morons. (C'mon, what else are they supposed to be?)

1. Santana Tribute. Guest stars: 60 years old church organist, Girlfriend#1 and P's Girlfriend improvised background wailers and arseshakers, random week-to-week bassist. Mild catastrophe, mainly because you don't mix an old church organist with two young arseshakers.

2. Jethro Tull Tribute. Guest stars: flutist and piano man, my conservatory buddies. Random vagrant on acoustic, repented punk rocker on bass. Utter tragedy, mainly because you don't mix young snotty classical students with, um, anyone really. The following statement was uttered during rehearsals: “I'm not asking for the same tempo. I'm not even asking for the same tonality, but may I ask we play the same focking song?”

3. Toto Tribute. Guest stars: same piano man surviving fisticuffs, jazzhead bassman (a keeper), the return of the arse shaking girlfriends. Abortion. Never launched because everybody focking despised Toto but me. The savages.

4. Original Songs Band. Same line-up as above. I will never talk about anything related to that project. Too much shame, plagiarism, and shame. WE HAD TO STICK WITH TOTO! Sorry, better now.

5. Deep Purple Tribute. Guest stars: a couple of 50 years olds who played – competently I must admit – Purple tunes in their youth. Nuclear winter. Everything went bananas because I wouldn't relinquish both guitar AND vocals duties. A bit of a cunt, wasn't I?

6. Generic Pub Rock Cover Band. Guest stars: fock me if I remember. Boring as hell. How many times you can play Mississippi Queen before losing your shite and starting glassing drunks all around you? Fun fact: during a gig, while reading at the mic the mandatory note about cars parked wrong people needed to move (it actually happened back then), I performed this beauty: “... A white Mazda plated … Oh crap, it's mine! Be right back ...”

7. Videogames OST Band. Guest star: same piano man on keyboards, same jazzman bassman. You are reading that well, and I don't have words to justify myself. It seemed a nice idea.

8. Vai/Satriani Tentative Tribute. Let's just say P could, I couldn't. Fock.

9. Dire Straits Tribute. Guest stars: same as Toto Band plus a sax man from a folk dance ensemble and a very improvised pedal steel guitarist. Unadulterated shite. I played it nice, but how can you sing Mark at 18 years without being focking ludicrous?

10. Jesus Christ Superstar Project. Guest stars: every focking buddy from conservatory willing to accept bribes. Never actually realised, but life altering nonetheless. We spent a couple months arranging and memorising the thing musically, then it came the moment to bring in the role singers (I was keeping out of that, too busy arranging and conducting while playing). We played the whole score before the singers and I istinctively began to sing the whole focking shebang. Every line, every role, every note.

At the end everybody was looking me as you may look a baboon successfully knitting a scarf. In that single moment I took a life decision, but we'll talk about that in the next chapter.

In such turmoil and exhilarating mixture of frustration and anticipation, the Big Banging Bro – shout out to the focker, he's gonna be 48 in a month and I will get to see him – bought me the Two Morons. (C'mon, what else the two of us are supposed to be?)

Coming Next: Falling into Infinity Running Diary (Great Album until the Internet came up)