Author Topic: Saw this DVD in a store today  (Read 10649 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Saw this DVD in a store today
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:48:35 AM »
Dream Theater- Live in Seoul 2000. Had some SC-era promo pics on it. Setlist:

01. Overture 1928 (3:34)
02. Strange Deja Vu (5:23)
03. Through Mu Words (0:58)
04. Fatal Tragedy (6:43)
05. Beyond This Life (11:24)
06. Through Her Eyes (6:22)
07. Home (13:11)
08. The Dance Of Eternity (7:27)
09. One Last Time (4:08)
10. The Spirit Carries On (6:39)
11. Finally Free (11:04)
12. Puppies On Asid Acos II (4:23)
13. Just Let Me Breathe (2:53)
14. Pull Me Under (2:39)
15. Under A Grass Moon (3:33)
16. A Fortune In Lies (1:31)
17. Take The Time (3:51)
Total playing time: 1:35:43

Anyone have it and should I buy?

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
Re: Saw this DVD in a store today
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:54:34 AM »
Yeah I have a copy I think, its a TV broadcast IIRC that someone has recorded onto a vcr and then transferred to DVD so the quality isnt brilliant, but its watchable. They were having a lot of troubles with the audio levels too that night but as I said, its watchable.

A YouTube sample for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHiZqYDT504

Bear in mind the DVD will be marginally better than this becuase of YouTube compression.

I got the show from dimeadozen i think, so if you didnt want a hard copy or would be comfortable making your own then I'd get it from there.

Thanks
Matt

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:15:33 AM »
Oh shit that was just offered as the Bootleg of the Month on trialoftears.net

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
should I buy?

You should never ever ever ever buy a bootleg. It's dumb and a slap in the face to the band.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
should I buy?

You should never ever ever ever buy a bootleg. It's dumb and a slap in the face to the band.

Yeah. I found the DVD somewhere else and downloaded it today. I'm glad I didn't buy, especially since they were asking for like $350 HKD, which is around 50 bucks US. It's not that great, nothing really that we don't have already thanks to LSFNY. James vocals are really, really bad in the beginning but thankfully he enters god mode toward the end.

Do kinda wish I could find a DVD of this quality from either of the last two tours, though.

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »
Mike Portnoy was an avid bootleg collector so fans should have the right to buy whatever they want

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
Mike Portnoy was an avid bootleg collector so fans should have the right to buy whatever they want

Just because you are a bootleg collector doesn't mean you buy bootlegs, most of it is done via trading or the internet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:51:54 PM by MajorMatt »

Offline DREAMS FTIME45

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43:54 PM »
Forgot to mention he was a trader in the early days

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 05:49:46 PM »

Just because you are a bootleg collector doesn't mean you buy bootlegs, most of it is done via trading or the internet.

Matt is correct.  The issue is not having bootlegs.  That's fine.  That's why we have a bootleg section on the forum.  The issue is buying them.  Money should never, ever trade hands.  The bootlegged show is not the property of the bootlegger, so he/she has no right to charge anyone for it.  If someone shares a show, that's a different matter entirely. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »
I haven't watched this in a while. Busted it out today. I always thought a cleaned up version would be a candidate for a Ytsejam release.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
Eh, I'm not sure. James gets better as the night goes on, but it just doesn't seem to have anything on the LSFNY show. I'd prefer one of the more "normal" ToT shows first. Those were awesome.

I think CiM would have been a great YTSEjam release, too, and would have been way more well received that way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »

Matt is correct.  The issue is not having bootlegs.  That's fine.  That's why we have a bootleg section on the forum.  The issue is buying them.  Money should never, ever trade hands.  The bootlegged show is not the property of the bootlegger, so he/she has no right to charge anyone for it.  If someone shares a show, that's a different matter entirely. 

Well, as you know, bosk1, it is all highly illegal, even if shared. But for purposes of THIS board, and its rules, you hit the nail on the head.   :angel:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »

Well, as you know, bosk1, it is all highly illegal, even if shared. But for purposes of THIS board, and its rules, you hit the nail on the head.   :angel:

I don't think there has been any official rulings to show that they are illegal at all.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Octavawake

• If you're sleepin', you're not gonna play anything
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:54:29 PM »
Surely they can't be illegal? No money is gained and if anything, it's encouraging support for the band in question!
He who gambles his money away is a fool! But he who believes in me will go to spend eternity in space.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
If they were illegal, trading them would not be permitted on this site.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
Damn! a SFAM era proshot! I'd like that one so much!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »
I downloaded it. It's OK. I wouldn't have paid for it, though. The vocal performance is nowhere near LSFNY.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
Yeah I have a copy I think, its a TV broadcast IIRC that someone has recorded onto a vcr and then transferred to DVD so the quality isnt brilliant, but its watchable. They were having a lot of troubles with the audio levels too that night but as I said, its watchable.

A YouTube sample for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHiZqYDT504

Bear in mind the DVD will be marginally better than this becuase of YouTube compression.

I got the show from dimeadozen i think, so if you didnt want a hard copy or would be comfortable making your own then I'd get it from there.

Thanks
Matt

wow the crowd energy is awesome there! i wish the shows i go to here would be more like that.

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
sorry may i ask Perpetual Change are you hong konger, would you like to tell where to find some more dream theater DVD? thanks