Author Topic: So The Wire is pretty much the best TV show ever  (Read 12318 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: So The Wire is pretty much the best TV show ever
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 08:20:43 AM »
But Omar's more metaphor than he is actual substance.  Not bad, but he's sort of in his own little corner along with the Greek in terms of characters who are less flesh and blood and more symbolism.

What I love about Stringer is how his character completely subverts audience expectations of him, time and again.  His arcs, especially in seasons two and three, are extremely original.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
SPOILERS
-You see now, that's just the wrong way to look at it.  Cause Joe had his time. And Omar put an end to that.
Then Marlo has his time, short as it was, and the police put an end to that.
And now, motherfucker, it's our time, mines and yours.
But instead of just shutting up and kickin' in, you gonna stand there crying that 'back in the day' shit.
There ain't no back in the day, nigga! Ain't no nostalgia to this shit here.
There's just the street and the game and what happen here today...
When it was my uncle, I was with my uncle. When it was Marlo, I was with him. But now, nigga...
*BANG*

-What the fuck did you do that for!? Now we short the nine...

-That was for joe.

/SPOILERS

Fuck yes, Slim!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »
Yeah that was both one of the funniest and greatest moments in the Wire  :lol

I never really thought of Omar as the best character in it. Stringer Bell was my favourite, impossible to say who's actually the best character in it though. I didn't like Marlo as much at first but he was also a great character.

I remember thinking this after I watched it all the second time (haven't seen it all again recently so can't remember details for this), but anyone else realise Omar basically has the same story every season? He goes around robbing whatever drug dealers are in power, then they do something back to him (usually kill someone he knows) and he gets all upset and goes on a righteous quest for revenge? Seriously I can think of that happening off hand in every Season apart from 4, and I have a feeling something like that probably happened in Season 4 as well.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 10:45:57 AM »
Stringer Bell was a fascinating character, as was Omar.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »

I remember thinking this after I watched it all the second time (haven't seen it all again recently so can't remember details for this), but anyone else realise Omar basically has the same story every season? He goes around robbing whatever drug dealers are in power, then they do something back to him (usually kill someone he knows) and he gets all upset and goes on a righteous quest for revenge? Seriously I can think of that happening off hand in every Season apart from 4, and I have a feeling something like that probably happened in Season 4 as well.

If you count Omar getting back at Marlo for setting him up, then yes.

For all the season except four there's a similarity with the police as well.  They try and set up an investigation into a target, encounter bureaucratic opposition, have a bittersweet victory as the big fish slips away.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »
BUMP.

Just getting into Season 4 and damn do I love this show. Some of the little moments are just priceless (The look Bubbles gives Prez when he sees him at school, the "Omar's coming" routine playing out while he walks in his silk blue PJs to buy cereal). I'm very interested to see where this season goes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
4 is something special and depressing at the same time.

Offline krands85

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »
Such a fantastic show. I recently finished watching it through for the second time and I already want to watch it again  :blush

Everything else really pales in comparison to The Wire. I've watched season 1 of The Sopranos, but I didn't really enjoy it that much, hopefully I get into that more in later seasons. I'm halfway through season 1 of The Shield too and it looks very promising  :coolio

The Wire definitely needs a bit of time and effort to get the most out of it. I remember after watching the first couple of episodes I was thinking 'why is everyone banging on about this show, what's so special about it?'. But a little while later I was hooked. It's so rewarding when you begin to 'get it'.

As for favourite characters:
Stringer Bell
Omar
Prop Joe
Bubbles
Bodie
Slim Charles
Bunk
McNulty

I could go on, there are so many brilliant characters. I think that's why I've not really gotten in to The Sopranos yet, I wasn't really taken with many of the characters.

Favourite seasons of The Wire for me are probably 1 & 3  :coolio
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »
Season 2 is by far the best imo. The fall of Frank Sobatka is just incredible to watch.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:02 AM »
I was once raving about this show to a friend and I said "just so you realize how great the characters are... I can name this many people" and then I went on to name abour 40 characters easily. The level of character detail and acting in the Wire is truly amazing.

And yeah, child acting is incredible too, I loved the last two seasons because of them. I was especially touched by Dookie's story ... SPOILER

his last scene is truly heart-breaking.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »
BUMP because I recently finished the final season and I was wondering...

Why does everybody consider the 5th season to be the weakest? I loved the whole thing, and I found it more "enjoyable" than the other seasons.  I've read a bunch of explanations that say things like, "the serial killer plot was too outlandish for The Wire" and "the newspaper subplot was underdeveloped and boring", but neither of these arguments really ring true for me.  Am I missing something?

Offline krands85

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »

Why does everybody consider the 5th season to be the weakest? I loved the whole thing, and I found it more "enjoyable" than the other seasons.  I've read a bunch of explanations that say things like, "the serial killer plot was too outlandish for The Wire" and "the newspaper subplot was underdeveloped and boring", but neither of these arguments really ring true for me.  Am I missing something?
I don't think so, those are the main criticisms I've heard people have. It's also only got 10 episodes instead of the usual 12 or 13, maybe some people felt it was a little rushed or something.

It's not one of my favourite seasons either, but I still enjoyed it.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
 :heart this show but I actually had to re-watch  episode 1-2 on diffrent occasions because I kept losing interest so I just stopped watching it. I don't know why but at one point I decided to just continue and after episode 4-5 I was completely hooked. One of the best shows i've seen.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »

I don't think so, those are the main criticisms I've heard people have. It's also only got 10 episodes instead of the usual 12 or 13, maybe some people felt it was a little rushed or something.

It's not one of my favourite seasons either, but I still enjoyed it.

Yeah, I've heard the "rushed" argument as well. Huh. Well, I certainly enjoyed it so I guess that's that.  Fitting end to a fantastic series.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
The Baltimore Sun characters are the most underdeveloped and didactic characters of the series.  They're never really developed that well, and really only three or so get any sense of personality.  The time to make that entire storyline work was never invested.

A lot of people also really dislike the serial killer plotline, claiming it isn't "realistic" or "gritty" or whatever, but I love the shit out of it.  Season five is much more of a black comedy, which kind of clashes with the more tragic feel of season four, so I think a lot of people didn't like the change in tone.

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
The Baltimore Sun characters are the most underdeveloped and didactic characters of the series.  They're never really developed that well, and really only three or so get any sense of personality.  The time to make that entire storyline work was never invested.

A lot of people also really dislike the serial killer plotline, claiming it isn't "realistic" or "gritty" or whatever, but I love the shit out of it.  Season five is much more of a black comedy, which kind of clashes with the more tragic feel of season four, so I think a lot of people didn't like the change in tone.

I've definitely heard that the Sun characters are underdeveloped, and to a point I agree. However, given that, frankly, they weren't the most interesting characters in the series, any more screentime dedicated to their development might have been just as frustrating to the fans.  In any case, I enjoyed the mini-arcs of the few characters that got good writing treatment from the Sun.

And I LOVED the black comedy aspects.  I found portions of the finale to be absolutely hysterical.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
I loved the finale, and the rest of season 5 as well. It's just I didn't love it as much as the other seasons. IMO 3 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 5.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2013, 08:14:14 PM »
Season 4 > the other seasons. That is all.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
Season 4 > the other seasons. That is all.
Yep.

That ending is depressing as all shit.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
THREAD BACK HOMIES

That being said, just binged all 5 seasons; almost can't even begin to describe how much I loved it. So I'll wait for further discussion to attempt to articulate my thoughts.

However, for anyone who loves the show, an incredible new book -- All The Pieces Matter: The Inside Oral History of The Wire -- is an absolute treasure trove. Over 300 pages and I devoured it in 2 days. In-depth interviews with basically every single person of import involved with the show at all: just awesome details and insights. Highly recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/All-Pieces-Matter-Inside-Story/dp/0451498143/ref=la_B00IY0FFTY_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1519918162&sr=1-1

Also, there’s a pretty dope podcast, as well, that’s doing episodic commentary and also contains audio interviews with cast members:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-wire-stripped/id1321861159?mt=2

Lastly, blessed MODS: could you merge the following thread into this one since this one has more discussion?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50594.0

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2018, 05:52:59 AM »
Great series, but Deadwood is better. ;)

Actually that came up in a Deadwood thread and the back and forth posts were very funny.

Both shows are great
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »
Just started watching. Its awesome

And damn, Idris elba is sooo young looking  :lol   That is one damn sexy man, God Damn...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:33:59 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:47 PM »
Nah, Oz is millions of times better.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2019, 06:11:02 PM »
I don't know why I stopped watching, but I'm back on the Wire. Two seasons in so far.

Season 1 - Decent. Had to spend a lot of time world building and setting things up, so I will cut it some slack. Very decent though. Idris Elba is the man.

Season 2 - Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally loved it. Ziggy should have been toned down a little, but I really enjoyed it. Brother mouzone is awesome

On season 3 now

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »
I think I lost interest somewhere around season 3.  It started off really good for me and then along the way just petered out.  Maybe I have to revisit it.  As far as "Best show ever"  Well... for me right now that title goes to Game of Thrones... hands down and no other show is even close.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 05:45:04 AM »
I think I lost interest somewhere around season 3.  It started off really good for me and then along the way just petered out.  Maybe I have to revisit it.  As far as "Best show ever"  Well... for me right now that title goes to Game of Thrones... hands down and no other show is even close.
Funny, it was the complete opposite for me. Started over 3 times before I got hooked on the first season. Then I binged the whole thing in matter of weeks.  :biggrin:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 06:10:21 AM »
5 episodes into season 4 and I almost want to check out.

Don't care about the school scenes. Don't care about the boxing gym scenes. And now that Idris elba is dead, don't really care all that much about the drug dealing scenes. Marlow is a boring ass character. He thinks he's god, isn't subtle or sleek like stringer, and isn't very interesting.

Will keep watching though. At least seasons 1-3 were awesome.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2021, 04:05:26 PM »
R.I.P. Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar).  :'(

Offline krands85

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2021, 05:03:03 PM »
Very sad news  :'( Omar is one of my favourite TV characters ever, it was a brilliant performance from him.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »
Sad too hear about Michael!

He also had some good parts after The Wire.

RIP

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2021, 05:54:32 PM »
One of my favorites from the show. Sounds like he overdosed.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2021, 05:56:01 PM »
Very tragic, dude was a phenomenal actor. He was iconic in The Wire, also great in The Night Of. And of course Boardwalk Empire.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
Phenomenal actor, in everything I've ever seen him in.

Re: the thread title - yeah, it probably is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.