Author Topic: So The Wire is pretty much the best TV show ever  (Read 12300 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
So The Wire is pretty much the best TV show ever
« on: October 21, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »
Just finished the series. Absolutely incredible.

Offline GuineaPig

Re: So The Wire is pretty much the best TV show ever
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
Oh, indeed.

This show needs some love from DTF. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »
It's so well done it's actually making me notice poor writing and acting in other shows.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
Nothing's quite the same afterwards.  Even watching The Sopranos again (which has superb writing, all in all) just seems less after The Wire.

EDIT: This is especially true whenever you compare dialogue for children to the dialogue for children in The Wire.  Writing authentic dialogue for kids is one of the toughest things for TV/movie writers to do, but The Wire absolutely nails it.  Not to mention the child actors put forth legitimately some of the best child acting ever seen.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:09:41 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
I'm glad I got to watch this show all the way through on DVD. I could imagine how slow paced it would be watching it in weekly installments. I'm still stunned at the sheer number of memorable characters this show created.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:07:43 AM »
I'm interested about what you thought of season 5, orcus.  It's typically the most controversial amongst fans, and people tend to have widely varying opinions on it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »
My problem with shows like that is it takes me awhile to get into them. For example, it took me like half of the first season of Mad Men to fall in love with it.

Same problem with The Wire. Only seen the first two episodes. Probably need to see a bunch more before I get obsessed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:33:30 PM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
Definitely. I had the first two discs from Netflix so I was able to get a good 4-5 episodes in at once. If you can make it through the first season the payoff is incredible for the rest of the series.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »
I think it took me four episodes to fully get into The Wire.  The thing about watching it is that it draws you in at an exponential rate; you might finish the first season in a month, but by the time you get to the fifth season you'll finish it in two days.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 12:23:41 PM »
There are 3 great shows that sit on a tier above all else for me.

The Shield
The Wire
The Sopranos

Of those The Shield is probably my personaly favourite... I'd probably say The Wire is the greatest TV show ever though.

Watched it twice now on DVD. Season 3 was my favourite originally but on second watch pretty much all seasons seemed about equal, it's hard to choose a favourite.

Stringer Bell and Lester Freamon were my favourite characters.

Also the first time I watched it, I wasn't so fond of Marlo as a villain for the second half. Something about the way he got by because he was lucky more than anything else (Stringer Bell didn't want to fight against him so he was never dealt with properly, Avon and crew got arrested right before they were about to kill him, Lester etc. got pulled off the case when he was vulnerable). But on second watch and when I'm thinking back to great villains, Marlo is one of my favourite of all time. Just such a perfect sociopath and done so well, especially in the last episode.

Edit: It took me about four or five episodes to get into it also. It's not until late in the first season you realise you're watching something great, and you really need to be able to sit down and watch it, preferably on DVD, to get into it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
I need to get on The Shield. How does it accomplish realism compared to The Wire? I'm afraid if I start watching it I'll start comparing the two unintentionally.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:28:06 PM »
Hmm it's gritty but I don't think anything accomplishes realism compared to The Wire  :lol It's definitely more realistic than most other shows though.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
I've only watched the first season.  It requires such a large amount of audience engagement that it's tough to just casually view.  I watched the first season in a week, but that was after having seen just the first episode, having decided it was brilliant, and then having decided for more than a year that I wasn't able to give it proper attention.  

In terms of this being a great show, I'd consider this a point in The Wire's favor.  I had a similar experience with Battlestar Galactica.  But the difference was that I was more or less involuntarily compelled to watch Battlestar.  With The Wire, I find myself once again going through the motions of convincing myself to watch season two, and it hasn't happened yet.

Maybe it's the show's bleakness.  Maybe it's because I still don't know the name of every character (although I think I have all the important ones down) and know that I'll have to learn more major characters to properly enjoy the second season.

It's a shame, because the plotting of The Wire is so many light years beyond anything else that's ever aired on TV. The arcs are thoroughly planned so stories with maximum impact on the characters can be told.  It's the standard to which all writing should be held.

Maybe the show's above me to some degree?  I can proclaim with pride that unlike most moviegoers, I was actually able to follow the plot of Inception from start to finish without needing it explained on the internet.  But with The Wire's love of off-screen character deaths and making use of even the most minute details, it's a lot to swallow.

This doesn't mean I don't understand the show on some level, just that I can't simply take it in like most TV.  I have to actively engage my brain to just follow it.  This would seem like a point to the show's favor, but it's not.  TV is an effective experience because you can de-intellectualize a bit and take in the emotions of the characters and the story.  I have trouble immersing myself in the show because it requires such a high level of intellectualized detachment just to follow.

*SPOILER*

The scene where McNulty and Bunk recover the bullet from D'Angelo's shooting in season 3 is awesome.  Communicating only using only the word "fuck" is seemingly base but ends up being brilliant because of the context.  But it's really hard to just enjoy because so much of my brain is wrapped up in (a) How D told the story to his boys earlier, and (b) the scene's context in the larger police investigation.

*END SPOILERS*

The Wire almost seems to not want to be watched and just experienced.  It feels like David Simon wants the audience to consider the larger implications of each scene and view the series through the same lens he views Baltimore - as a reporter.  This viewpoint necessarily requires a level of detachment.

And yet, that level of objectivity is what makes the show what it is.  We're not supposed to judge these characters, but consider the implications of their actions. The plot shows the best and worst of each character.  From the effective business practices of Barksdale's drug organization to the systemic corruption of the police department.  But this also makes everything less personable.

*HUGE MEGA SPOILER*

When Wallace was murdered, I felt disturbed, but not really emotional in spite of the tragedy of it.  I was too busy thinking about how Wallace's actions lead him to this point, the degree to which Brodie and his friend were crossing a moral event horizon, and the fate of the family Wallace was caring for.

But there was no degree of empathy with Wallace himself, in spite of how well the actor played the scene.  I took in every aspect of Wallace's death except the fact he was dying.  

*END MEGA HUGE SPOILER*

So, I'm running out of things to say and must stop rambling.  The Wire is still one of the greatest TV shows ever.  I'll inevitably watch the whole thing.  Every show should try to match the meticulousness of its plotting.  But it requires me to be in a very specific mood to enjoy it, and that mood is antithetical to what makes most TV work.

Its greatest aspects sow the seeds of its greatest weaknesses.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
That's a really interesting take on it, ReaPsTA.  The details are indeed not made explicit, and if you think season 1 was bad for this, season 2 is about 10x worse.  That being said, it rewards attention and re-watches unlike any other TV show I've seen, so I count it as a point for.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
Considering the show is written by crime novelists and presented like a novel itself every detail and conversation is important. The fact that they don't explicitly show everything is one of the things I love about it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
My problem with shows like that is it takes me awhile to get into them. For example, it took me like half of the first season of Mad Men to fall in love with it.

Same problem with The Wire. Only seen the first two episodes. Probably need to see a bunch more before it clicks for me.

For some reason I think I recall you mentioning something about you reading Sepinwall.  If you like this take on television, definitely continue plugging away at The Wire because it's his nod for best show ever, and he's written a large amount of fantastic stuff about it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
So I'm working my way through the series again.  Nearing the end of season 4, and I had completely forgotten how fucking depressing this stretch is.  I've always wondered whether the decision to go with a different look cinematography-wise (sets and shoots aren't lighted as bright, everything looks a little grittier) was a result of the overall tone in season 4.

Offline jsem

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
Agree 100% with thread title.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »
ohhhh! YEAH! The wire is the best show ever, if by The Wire you mean The Sopranos then yeah it's the best!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
I'm about halfway through season 3 and freaking loving The Wire so far. My only problem is that I only have seasons 1-3 on DVD, and I'm not sure I can spare the cash for the rest any time soon :tdwn
Photobucket sucks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »
DO IT

"This is a tomb.  Lex is in there."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
I am mid-way through the 4th season. Pwn.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
I agree that it is the best.  I know I kind of argued against it in the LOST thread, but that was before I got into the show.  LOST remains my favorite as far as pure entertainment, though!

Anyways, my ranking of The Wire seasons:

S3 = S4
S2
S1 = S5

The last few episodes of season 2 is my favorite stretch by far, while the first few are my least favorite.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »
It's hard to compare this show to LOST because they're entirely different animals. Also The Wire actually had consistent writing and plots throughout.

Offline lodeus

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
I'm always looking at Season 1 when I'm at best buy, but I never buy it. I will someday though.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
The wire is amazing, I thank letters for getting me into it. I think I will watch the sopranos next

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
It's hard to compare this show to LOST because they're entirely different animals. Also The Wire actually had consistent writing and plots throughout.

I agree it's pointless to compare.  Doesn't stop some people, though.  I pretty much agree with this guy:

But they have quite literally nothing in common, except they appeared on television... I don't know how this comparison even started

The Wire is transcendent, yes... But LOST, in my opinion, is the greatest "traditional" television show ever made

I don't see why one needs to be put above the other when they strive for and accomplish completely different goals

On what basis on we comparing them? The Wire aims to be the ultimate in "slice of life" storytelling, commenting on modern urban life that draws characters taken straight from reality while developing the city itself as the feature of the show

LOST is a science-fiction epic with archetype (although relatable) characters, more "classic" themes of good and evil and a dedication to mindf**king you once in a while that takes place on a magical Island

The "epic" part is about the only similar trait, and even they are even "epics" in totally different respects

I could see one comparing The Wire with Deadwood or LOST with The Shield... That would make sense

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »
I don't think it's pointless to compare.  I think people throw out that line way too often.  They're both serialized dramas in the same medium.  It's not like we're talking about asteroids and shaving cream.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
The wire is amazing, I thank letters for getting me into it. I think I will watch the sopranos next
:tup
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
I've watched most of the first series and it still hasn't quite clicked for me yet. I need to give it some more time certainly.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
I don't think it's pointless to compare.  I think people throw out that line way too often.  They're both serialized dramas in the same medium.  It's not like we're talking about asteroids and shaving cream.

I guess it depends on what you consider pointless.  In my book, it is only appropriate to compare things that have a common specific objective or similar tone to determine in which ways one accomplishes it relative to another.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:15:46 AM by HarlequinForest »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
So I just finished season 3... God damn do I love this show, but...

[SPOILER]

STRINGER! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[/SPOILER]

Also, I want a spinoff show where Omar and Brother Mouzone are some kind of super team.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 07:08:49 AM »
Stringer Bell is the best character.  Discuss.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
I don't know, Omar's up there too.
Photobucket sucks.