Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105096 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #770 on: June 03, 2022, 09:27:42 AM »
I didn't see you when I was in that spot but I see your head now  :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #771 on: June 03, 2022, 09:39:20 AM »
I didn't see you when I was in that spot but I see your head now  :lol

Right next to guy in the white shirt, in front of Timo.  :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online nick_z

« Reply #772 on: June 03, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »
I was a big fan of the Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension albums (especially the former) - there was an aura of melancholy there that made those records pretty unique. Sure, there was still plenty of cheese, and the more-than-occasional inspiration from Helloween, Queensryche and even Savatage (just listen to Reign of Terror vs. Sirens for proof  ;D), but enough Nordic spleen to make them stand out.

Then of course they became huge in the European power scene with Episode and Visions. While they are mini-classics in their genre, I didn't like them quite as much, as they were a little too "straight" power for my taste. I remember listening to those a ton when they were released, though.

After that, I kinda lost track, and I recall there was a lot of drama associated with Timo Tolkki leaving and such. I do have one of the post-Tolkki album - Elysium, which I enjoyed (although it's been a while...). I might go over older posts in this thread a bit more, but do you guys have any specific recommendations across the more recent output?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: June 03, 2022, 09:02:50 PM »
Hey Nick - it seems like you may have similar tastes to me when it comes to Stratovarius.  I much prefer them when they slow down and crunch those riffs rather than the power metal drumathon stuff.  Fourth Dimension was the pick in my DTF Top 50.

I reckon you should check out Nemesis from the more recent albums.

The new single isn't doing a great deal for me just yet and it sounds like they're going down the "wall of sound" production more and more now which is going to turn me off.  I will certainly check out the album when it comes out though as I have a soft spot for them.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: June 04, 2022, 06:56:18 AM »
That song was decent.  A pretty safe continuation on from Eternal.  Nice thrashy riff though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online nick_z

« Reply #775 on: June 04, 2022, 07:39:03 AM »
Hey Nick - it seems like you may have similar tastes to me when it comes to Stratovarius.  I much prefer them when they slow down and crunch those riffs rather than the power metal drumathon stuff.  Fourth Dimension was the pick in my DTF Top 50.

I reckon you should check out Nemesis from the more recent albums.

The new single isn't doing a great deal for me just yet and it sounds like they're going down the "wall of sound" production more and more now which is going to turn me off.  I will certainly check out the album when it comes out though as I have a soft spot for them.

:tup Thank you

I did check out Nemesis and, I have to say, it's a fun record. I have a soft spot for those Europop-sounding keys  ;D

Regardless, I felt inspired to go for some vintage Stratovarius. Went with Twilight Time first, and Dreamspace is playing now. Still love those records. Dreamspace, in particular, has so much variety in it. Just the first three...Chasing Shadows, 4th Reich, Eyes of the World...all Stratovarius-sounding a yet so different...great stuff.

Fourth Dimension will be next...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: June 06, 2022, 12:31:48 AM »
Out of the earlier stuff, I always really preferred Twilight Time.  There's a certain atmosphere and charm about that one.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #777 on: June 06, 2022, 02:56:52 AM »
For me the golden Stratovarius era was Destiny/Infinite/Elements.
Those albums were power metal personified, that huge sound, production and epic songs.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #778 on: June 06, 2022, 04:22:29 AM »
I was a big fan of the Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension albums (especially the former) - there was an aura of melancholy there that made those records pretty unique.

I find Destiny to be pretty melanchonic. It's not their best album, but I love the overall atmosphere of the record.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: June 06, 2022, 05:00:30 AM »
Yeah Destiny from that middle period is wonderful.  Elements 1 was always my fav but that may change these days.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #780 on: June 06, 2022, 08:31:10 PM »
For me the golden Stratovarius era was Destiny/Infinite/Elements.
Those albums were power metal personified, that huge sound, production and epic songs.

Well there's a reason for that (although Visions is easily my favorite).  I don't like any of the post Tolkki akbums.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #781 on: June 07, 2022, 11:49:57 PM »
I can totally understand this, almost a different band, with only two members left from the classic 'Tolkki' era line up.
Their sound has obviously changed and for better or worse, at least now the band is a democracy and not a dictatorship.
By that I mean Tolkki was doing almost everything, song writing, arrangements, producing etc.
At least now the other band members are getting their songs heard and they are even using 'outside' (the band) help with the songs.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: June 08, 2022, 12:36:32 AM »
I can totally understand this, almost a different band, with only two members left from the classic 'Tolkki' era line up.
Their sound has obviously changed and for better or worse, at least now the band is a democracy and not a dictatorship.
By that I mean Tolkki was doing almost everything, song writing, arrangements, producing etc.
At least now the other band members are getting their songs heard and they are even using 'outside' (the band) help with the songs.

I feel that's how they've been so strong and continued to evolve forward as a unit when so many questioned them after Tolkki left.  (I won't lie, myself included).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #783 on: June 08, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
I think Nemesis is their best with a very wide margin, but I also feel the music of their later work is quite different compared to their classic era.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #784 on: July 01, 2022, 07:46:48 AM »
Another new track "World on Fire" has been released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2G61Gm92d0

:metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #785 on: July 01, 2022, 02:24:59 PM »
I think Nemesis is their best with a very wide margin, but I also feel the music of their later work is quite different compared to their classic era.

IMO Nemesis is the best of the post Tolkki era, it's not anywhere the Infinite/Elements though... :xbones

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #786 on: July 01, 2022, 07:18:50 PM »

IMO Nemesis is the best of the post Tolkki era, it's not anywhere the Infinite/Elements though... :xbones

Completely agree with this, though instead of Infinite/Elements, I'd say it's nowhere as good as Episode/Visions/Destiny/Infinite.  That's an amazing string of albums.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: July 10, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »
Another new track "World on Fire" has been released today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2G61Gm92d0

:metal

Just caught the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV7Zao8LSP4

Very realistic FX  :lol

That song is much more my style than the first one - very Nemesis sounding.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online nick_z

« Reply #788 on: July 10, 2022, 10:13:53 AM »

Just caught the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV7Zao8LSP4

Very realistic FX  :lol

That song is much more my style than the first one - very Nemesis sounding.

Watching the video...I'm thinking this was intentionally made to look this bad, right??  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: July 10, 2022, 04:27:39 PM »
Wow, it actually looks like they are playing in a world that is on fire.......

Props to Jens for still rocking the little hair he has left!  There's a man that chooses not to conform. lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #790 on: August 04, 2022, 11:52:19 PM »
Yet another great new song, 'Firefly'
https://youtu.be/nkkcKQN5ntU

Offline Deathless

« Reply #791 on: August 05, 2022, 07:07:34 AM »
Shaping up to be another strong album right? I've enjoyed all the singles so far.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #792 on: August 05, 2022, 08:47:45 AM »
They're playing Wacken right now, the new songs seem quite good!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #793 on: August 05, 2022, 08:52:07 AM »
It's Clutch when I open the link:

https://live.wacken.com/

I thought for a second that I didn't remember Timo growing a beard.  ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #794 on: September 24, 2022, 10:18:01 AM »
Bump. The new album is out. My first spin was pretty damn good, especially the opening tracks. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: September 24, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
Didn't realize it was out already, I will have to check it out

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #796 on: September 24, 2022, 06:53:19 PM »
It's not bad I guess. I'd put it on par with Polaris and Elysium, but like Eternal more, and Nemesis for me is still leagues ahead of any of them.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #797 on: September 26, 2022, 04:48:52 PM »
Only knew Episode and Visions by them. Blind-bought Survive on release day and I’m loving it! :metal

Offline Deathless

« Reply #798 on: September 27, 2022, 10:02:17 AM »
I've listened through once (in full) and starting to go through a second time. Overall I'm really enjoying the album, but what are everyone's thoughts so far?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #799 on: September 27, 2022, 10:23:16 AM »
I've been enjoying it after a few listens.  I think it starts really strong, but feels very "samey" once I get to the back half of the album. 

Nothing will ever be as good as Epsiode / Visions / Destiny / Infinite, and I'm a sucker for those older albums with Tolkki and Jorg Michael.  But I'm glad that this band keeps going - Nemisis remains my favorite of the newer era. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #800 on: September 27, 2022, 02:53:15 PM »
Nothing will ever be as good as Epsiode / Visions / Destiny / Infinite

I raise you Polaris / Elysium / Nemesis / Eternal.  ;D

Offline Glasser

« Reply #801 on: September 27, 2022, 03:13:59 PM »

Not even close to Episode, Fourth Dimension, and Visions. In my opinion.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:19:43 PM by Glasser »

Online nick_z

« Reply #802 on: September 27, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »

Not even close to Episode, Fourth Dimension, and Visions. In my opinion.  :biggrin:

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and say Twilight Time, Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension, then  :)

(I'm actually not kidding, sorta  ;) Dreamspace is my favorite Stratovarius album. I loved when the melancholic side was more present in their sound.)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #803 on: September 27, 2022, 09:22:25 PM »

Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and say Twilight Time, Dreamspace and Fourth Dimension, then  :)

(I'm actually not kidding, sorta  ;) Dreamspace is my favorite Stratovarius album. I loved when the melancholic side was more present in their sound.)

All great albums. Tolkki's vocals are good on Dreamspace!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: September 28, 2022, 04:22:44 AM »
I love Twilight Time.  Some great songs on that one.