Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105104 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #735 on: April 29, 2020, 08:52:08 AM »
Controversial opinion incoming: Eternal I think is a top 3 Strato album for me.  I still think it's brilliant.

I only have the three latest, but it's a solid one.  I think I like the newer sound over what I sampled of the older stuff.

Just watched a few songs.  Great video and performance.  Timo sounds pretty good.

I watched some last night and turned it off. Thought it sounded terrible and there was like no energy, from anyone.

Forgot to mention the terrible mix. I'm wondering, if the actual live mix was bad, could be why the audience was dull. Those Keys were way too loud and the low end really Low in volume.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: April 29, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »
Controversial opinion incoming: Eternal I think is a top 3 Strato album for me.  I still think it's brilliant.

I only have the three latest, but it's a solid one.  I think I like the newer sound over what I sampled of the older stuff.

Just watched a few songs.  Great video and performance.  Timo sounds pretty good.

I watched some last night and turned it off. Thought it sounded terrible and there was like no energy, from anyone.

Forgot to mention the terrible mix. I'm wondering, if the actual live mix was bad, could be why the audience was dull. Those Keys were way too loud and the low end really Low in volume.

Yea, the keys kind of ruin it for me, drowns out the guitar and just sounds terrible overall.  My gut says that's not the reason for the dead crowd, but just not the right crowd considering it was Knotfest.  It is a bit odd though since south of the border, they seem to go crazy for metal music and yet that crowd looks more dead than a NYC crowd, which might have rubbed off on the band who also looked dead for the most part. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: April 29, 2020, 02:50:15 PM »

Eternal has some of my most favorite Strato tunes. My Eternal Dream sounds like it came straight out of Infinite.

The album is so strong that song wouldn't even be top 5 for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #738 on: April 29, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »

Eternal has some of my most favorite Strato tunes. My Eternal Dream sounds like it came straight out of Infinite.
Eternal is really great. I never got *too* deeply into Strato (well, depends on what you count as deep, but I mostly play Episode - Infinite and then the two last albums, Elements already lose me with just a few tracks I like) but I thought it was one of the band's best. Matias is great and I love the new dynamic in the band.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #739 on: April 29, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »
Whenever somebody asks who would be in my dream band lineup,  Matias has been my no-brainer, #1 choice since Polaris. Guy is a force to be reckoned with on the axe. His fusion playing is mindblowing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: April 29, 2020, 11:54:38 PM »
Whenever somebody asks who would be in my dream band lineup,  Matias has been my no-brainer, #1 choice since Polaris. Guy is a force to be reckoned with on the axe. His fusion playing is mindblowing.

Yeah his chops are insanely good, and some of his solos are really technical.  Super underrated guitarist.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #741 on: April 30, 2020, 10:21:06 AM »
Infinite came out 20 years ago today.  I'm not sure how 20 years have passed....I remember being in college then and less than two years into having discovered this band and power metal in general.

Now playing....Infinite.   :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: April 30, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »
Infinite came out 20 years ago today.  I'm not sure how 20 years have passed....I remember being in college then and less than two years into having discovered this band and power metal in general.

:2metal::2metal::2metal:

One of the very best, from the very best, imo! Will jam it loud and proud today!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #743 on: April 30, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »

Yes interesting story about how I first heard Infinite....
December 1999 I flew to Helsinki to meet up with an online mate for the first time.
He was at the airport to meet me, with a big scary long haired bloke called Ewo.
We go back to Spinefarm Records offices (where Ewo then worked) and he pops on an advance cassette of 4 songs from Infinite.
Then he says we are going to a pre-release piss up for the album at a Helsinki pub.

So we turn up drink until 0300 the next morning, I get to meet all the band and as Motorhead were in town, Lemmy and a bunch of other bands who I can't remember.
Most of it was a blur, as I was so tired and a bit drunk, but some wonderful memories of what I actually can recall.

I would say that because of these great memories and also how good the album is, it remains my fave Stratovarius release to this day.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: April 30, 2020, 11:32:09 PM »

Yes interesting story about how I first heard Infinite....
December 1999 I flew to Helsinki to meet up with an online mate for the first time.
He was at the airport to meet me, with a big scary long haired bloke called Ewo.
We go back to Spinefarm Records offices (where Ewo then worked) and he pops on an advance cassette of 4 songs from Infinite.
Then he says we are going to a pre-release piss up for the album at a Helsinki pub.

So we turn up drink until 0300 the next morning, I get to meet all the band and as Motorhead were in town, Lemmy and a bunch of other bands who I can't remember.
Most of it was a blur, as I was so tired and a bit drunk, but some wonderful memories of what I actually can recall.

I would say that because of these great memories and also how good the album is, it remains my fave Stratovarius release to this day.

Wow, great story mate.

So, it'll appear in your top 50 then?  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: April 30, 2020, 11:45:22 PM »
I've put Nemesis in the car for a spin.  I thought Polaris was average but a fine return for the band.  I absolutely loved Elysium but I never really got Nemesis.  All the positive reviews and rankings of it, for some reason I just never clicked with it.  Perfect time to try again and I must say it's a lot better than I remembered.

Songs like Castles in the Air and One Must Fall I just never cared for but understand them a bit more now.  unbreakable and Halcyon Days I always loved from when they were released.  I don't really cared for Fantasy and Dragons is hit or miss, but everything else is really well done and mature songwriting.  I have the Japenese edition and really recommend checking Kill it With Fire.  My favourite track from the whole thing I think is Fireborn.  Another bonus track but jeez that song rips.

Quite funny Lauri wrote both Fantasy and Fireborn and both songs are on both ends of the spectrum for me.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #746 on: May 01, 2020, 12:51:28 AM »
Yeah Nemesis is great, the Japan version I also have, Kill It With Fire is pure Yngwie worship written by Jens.
Infinite will be in my top 50 for sure, will get back to that very shortly, had quite a traumatic past few months.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: May 01, 2020, 05:43:06 AM »
Yeah Nemesis is great, the Japan version I also have, Kill It With Fire is pure Yngwie worship written by Jens.
Infinite will be in my top 50 for sure, will get back to that very shortly, had quite a traumatic past few months.

All the best mate.  Hope things are turning around for you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: May 01, 2020, 06:27:47 AM »
Fireborn is freaking awesome, Kade. Nemesis only has 3 tracks that I'm not crazy about - One Must Fall, Stand My Ground, and Out of the Fog. Still like them, but they all have this peculiar, hazy, mid tempo groovy vibe that's a bit odd for Strato imo. The introduction of Rolf and more electronic synth effects adds to the vibe, I think.

Castles is one of my most favorite Strato tunes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: May 01, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »
The instrumental section of Castles is just fabulous.

Yeah I think Rolf has been a really good addition for the band.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2020, 12:08:39 AM »
Nice cover of Hunting High and Low from Metalite
https://youtu.be/85TcvARgaMI

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2020, 01:41:33 AM »
Man, I want to make a joke about your Top 50, but I still haven't updated my Ayreon Discography Thread in 4 years so I'm not sure I'm qualified to joke about that. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #752 on: September 05, 2020, 03:48:49 AM »
I was only thinking about my top 50 today, I think I'm ready to continue with it, soon...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: September 05, 2020, 04:16:10 AM »
I was only thinking about my top 50 today, I think I'm ready to continue with it, soon...

Looking very much forward to It mate.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #754 on: April 09, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »
Unique interview and music with Kotipelto as only can be done in Finland
https://youtu.be/w05M2xFJ-MM

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #755 on: April 09, 2021, 03:08:52 PM »
Unique interview and music with Kotipelto as only can be done in Finland
https://youtu.be/w05M2xFJ-MM

Thanks.

I was just watching a bit and it is very well done, not "just" an interview. It feels more like a short solidly produced show, including a live performance of Kotipelto and some games (mellow/acoustic versions of Unbreakable and a cover of Rainbow).

I hope he visits some of the other Finnish talents in this particular music scene.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #756 on: January 08, 2022, 06:40:30 PM »
Timo Tolkki interview from September 2021.
https://youtu.be/YCQuNgQB2fw
It's 80 minutes, but pretty interesting to hear TT talking about anything and everything.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #757 on: January 09, 2022, 01:21:37 PM »
Timo Tolkki interview from September 2021.
https://youtu.be/YCQuNgQB2fw
It's 80 minutes, but pretty interesting to hear TT talking about anything and everything.

Thank you for sharing. Timo is such a tragic figure. I'm considering seeing him in Texas in March, since he is a personal hero of mine.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #758 on: January 09, 2022, 04:46:32 PM »
Yeah he's been through a lot these past few years.
I hope he writes a book one day, that would be a very interesting read.
BTW his all star band are recording live shows for release later this year.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #759 on: June 02, 2022, 08:36:53 AM »
I can't believe their last album came out 7 years ago! New single will be here tomorrow, the new album is titled Survive.

https://bravewords.com/news/stratovarius-to-release-survive-album-in-september-title-track-video-available-friday

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: June 02, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
oooo I do wonder if they will play the new single tonight at ProgPower

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #761 on: June 02, 2022, 11:55:01 AM »
oooo I do wonder if they will play the new single tonight at ProgPower

I saw that announcement and said, well looks like we'll be the lucky ones to hear the song for the first time live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Mladen

« Reply #762 on: June 02, 2022, 01:33:49 PM »
Finally! It's been years since the last one and I've been ready for the new album for quite a while now.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: June 02, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »
I can't believe their last album came out 7 years ago! New single will be here tomorrow, the new album is titled Survive.

https://bravewords.com/news/stratovarius-to-release-survive-album-in-september-title-track-video-available-friday

Finally!  I absolutely loved Eternal so can't wait for this one.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #764 on: June 02, 2022, 10:59:56 PM »
New song sounds killer and as with nearly all Stratovarius first-from-album singles it's catchy as hell...

Offline Deathless

« Reply #765 on: June 03, 2022, 06:56:55 AM »
I can always count on Stratovarius for a catchy single... I've been humming the chorus all morning already.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #766 on: June 03, 2022, 08:06:12 AM »
Official video, sounds great  ;D
https://youtu.be/deL5dM9csNc

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #767 on: June 03, 2022, 08:39:29 AM »
7 Years already since their last album! :o I feel so old.

I'm diggin' the new song btw!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: June 03, 2022, 08:58:32 AM »
Thought it was odd when they stated last night the new album was coming out but they haven't learned how to play the new song yet  :lol what a missed opportunity, but the song is solid  :metal

They were still pretty good last night though.

Stratovarious - Unbreakable LIVE @ ProgPower USA XXI Centerstage Atlanta GA 6/1/2022

Stratovarious - Against the Wind LIVE @ ProgPower USA XXI Centerstage Atlanta GA 6/1/2022

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #769 on: June 03, 2022, 09:23:50 AM »
Haha...All I see of myself is my hair. They were amazing last night. The main reason why I came and was so happy they just made it to ProgPower.