Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105103 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #700 on: February 28, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »
I have never followed the person, but last year I enjoyed Avalon's Return to Eden quite a bit and I recall the album reviewing well (unlike the other Avalon albums). I was there for Anneke initially (she sings two good songs on the album).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #701 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »
I know nothing of this man, but thats a bit creepy with the girls thing but if he's mentally unstable, then that should be taken into account. 
To be fair, he isn't married anymore, so he's just shooting his shot. Shots. A lot of them. But yeah the way he was going about live streaming on Facebook while drinking and asking for girls' numbers wasn't great. I hope this new project gives him something to do and a reason to take meds and abstain from drinking.

This was all public on Facebook on his public profile, it's not gossip or anything. Just, it be how it be, he broadcasted all of that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #702 on: February 28, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »
Wait, when did he get divorced? I thought just last year he was posting about his wife traveling to her father's funeral.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #703 on: February 28, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »
He was writing comments back and forth on a lot of these statuses with people about how his wife left him. I think it made it into Czech tabloids as well, or at least that's what the commenters claimed. The silver lining of him sending weird messages, at least he's single enough to send them!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: February 28, 2020, 03:41:06 PM »
Oh jeeze... sigh, Tolkki... I hope he takes care of himself. All last year I feared waking up one day to a headline about Tolkki passing away, and I still do. His physical and mental health + that + having little connection to the thing that defined his whole being as a musician has me really worried.  :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: February 28, 2020, 06:10:13 PM »
Oh jeeze... sigh, Tolkki... I hope he takes care of himself. All last year I feared waking up one day to a headline about Tolkki passing away, and I still do. His physical and mental health + that + having little connection to the thing that defined his whole being as a musician has me really worried.  :(

Do you know him or something?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: February 28, 2020, 07:04:15 PM »
I follow him on Facebook and exchange messages with him on the odd occasion. I've also had conversations with him elsewhere. He's a good guy... he just has lots of problems.

He's also one of my biggest influences ever, music or otherwise, so his wellbeing means a lot to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: February 28, 2020, 07:15:14 PM »
I follow him on Facebook and exchange messages with him on the odd occasion. I've also had conversations with him elsewhere. He's a good guy... he just has lots of problems.

He's also one of my biggest influences ever, music or otherwise, so his wellbeing means a lot to me.

Yeah fair enough.  I remember when the band split and then he was getting that female singer to sing for them, Kat I think her name was.  Damn, experiencing that when it happened was absolulte crazy lol.

Also, the song Father, might be the most disturbing song I've ever heard in my life. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #708 on: February 28, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »

Yeah fair enough.  I remember when the band split and then he was getting that female singer to sing for them, Kat I think her name was. 

Short for Kattelox?  :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: February 28, 2020, 08:44:32 PM »
Anyone remember The Great Kat ?   :rollin
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: February 29, 2020, 03:22:31 AM »

I remember you bringing her up.  Can't say I checked out any of her work.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #711 on: February 29, 2020, 03:35:15 AM »
She was Miss K and she was never intended to seriously replace Kotipelto.

It was also all a bit confusing because the publicity stunt was planned, but at the same time Timo got for real a nervous breakdown, so it's kinda hard to pinpoint the exact moment when the jokes ended, and the madness began.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: February 29, 2020, 06:25:16 AM »

You don't know what you're missing  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hn7HKHbDs
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #713 on: February 29, 2020, 11:01:29 PM »
One of my friends on FB asked me about the 'legendary' Stratovarius 2007 demo that became Tolkki's Revolution Renaissance debut.
Anyhow I couldn't find the files anywhere on my various HHD and computers so I tracked them down online again.

My point being these sound almost Infinite/Elements quality production wise, far too good to be just demo's and I like them better than the official RR release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: March 01, 2020, 04:00:26 AM »
She was Miss K and she was never intended to seriously replace Kotipelto.

It was also all a bit confusing because the publicity stunt was planned, but at the same time Timo got for real a nervous breakdown, so it's kinda hard to pinpoint the exact moment when the jokes ended, and the madness began.

Miss K, that's right.  Yeah, at first with the pics of her released it was all a bit of a laugh, then Tolkki just went crazy.  Ended up making the whole thing pretty unreal to be honest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: March 01, 2020, 04:02:38 AM »

lol WTF?!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: March 01, 2020, 05:58:29 AM »
One of my friends on FB asked me about the 'legendary' Stratovarius 2007 demo that became Tolkki's Revolution Renaissance debut.
Anyhow I couldn't find the files anywhere on my various HHD and computers so I tracked them down online again.

My point being these sound almost Infinite/Elements quality production wise, far too good to be just demo's and I like them better than the official RR release.

One of the final videos of Tolkki in the band shows them playing LNOE. I remember listening to this thinking the next Strato record was gonna rock. Then the next 2 years went by in a whirlwind. Nuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlFJE6OyYq0

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #717 on: March 01, 2020, 06:15:31 AM »
I was there actually. According to Tollki, that was the show that made him realize the band was over (everyone doing it just for the contractual obligation of it, nobody talking to each other, Jorge Michael coming straight from the office and then back to it since he was doing work as a manager or something) and made him want to move on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: March 01, 2020, 06:26:07 AM »
I was there actually. According to Tollki, that was the show that made him realize the band was over (everyone doing it just for the contractual obligation of it, nobody talking to each other, Jorge Michael coming straight from the office and then back to it since he was doing work as a manager or something) and made him want to move on.

It's been a long time since I've seen that video, but I just watched it and yeah, it's easy to see. Seems like Koti comes in at the wrong time, Tolkki's guitar drops out, doesn't sound like they even tried to work the kinks out. Funny thing is I believe Jorg is still doing that job today!  :lol

2008 was wild. I'm trying to remember the timeline exactly. I want to say it was in February 2008 that Tolkki said the band was splitting. I think it was a few months later, Tolkki made a website with this super dramatic choir music embedded in the background, and on the page itself was just a letter from Tolkki talking about everything that had just happened, how he no longer had the rights to the band and music, stuff about legal battles - what a year that was  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #719 on: March 01, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »

It's been a long time since I've seen that video, but I just watched it and yeah, it's easy to see. Seems like Koti comes in at the wrong time, Tolkki's guitar drops out, doesn't sound like they even tried to work the kinks out. Funny thing is I believe Jorg is still doing that job today!  :lol

The whole thing just felt lifeless. And I laughed at Kotis' face when he did miss the time. I also laughed at a comment saying Tolkkis guitar changes color.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #721 on: March 02, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
I've ignored all of Tolkki's projects since he left Stratovarius...that was a mistake.  Now playing the first RR record after reading above that these were intended to be songs on the next Strato record.

Wow...what nice selection of singers too.  Tobias Sammet and Kiske!  I think I need to try the Avalon albums too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: March 02, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
I've ignored all of Tolkki's projects since he left Stratovarius...that was a mistake.  Now playing the first RR record after reading above that these were intended to be songs on the next Strato record.

Wow...what nice selection of singers too.  Tobias Sammet and Kiske!  I think I need to try the Avalon albums too.

I would strongly suggest the Symfonia record he did, if you're a fan of that first RR record. In every way other than the lineup it is a Stratovarius record, and the lineup he put together is, well, there's a reason it's considered a power metal supergroup (Jari from Stratovarius, Mikko Harkin from the first Sonata Arctica records, Uli Kusch, and Andre Matos).

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #723 on: March 02, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »

I would strongly suggest the Symfonia record he did, if you're a fan of that first RR record. In every way other than the lineup it is a Stratovarius record, and the lineup he put together is, well, there's a reason it's considered a power metal supergroup (Jari from Stratovarius, Mikko Harkin from the first Sonata Arctica records, Uli Kusch, and Andre Matos).
Live version of "Forevermore".  Matos sounds so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgTvHhz4dps

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #724 on: April 28, 2020, 03:23:20 AM »
With no concerts in sight for the coming months I have been checking online stuff and stumbled upon this late 2019 raw pro-shot livestream (Knotfest Mexico):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wpvsRKCo0I

Setlist:
Eagleheart
Phoenix
Shine in the Dark
Paradise
4000 Rainy Nights
Black Diamond
Unbreakable
Hunting High and Low

I think it is a fun watch! Tight performance.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: April 28, 2020, 04:52:38 AM »
Just watched a few songs.  Great video and performance.  Timo sounds pretty good.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #726 on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
Great performance. Shitty crowd.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: April 28, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »
I had been looking at that set from setlist.fm when I started listening to them months ago to familiarize myself with what they might play in September (which seems all up in the air now) so thank you for sharing, I will watch that later.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #728 on: April 28, 2020, 08:51:12 PM »
Well, I wanted to listen to Visions. Guess I'll have to buy the cd. Don't know why it's not on Spotify.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #729 on: April 29, 2020, 02:36:55 AM »

lol WTF?!
I am pretty embarrassed to admit I have her Beethoven on Speed album. :blush :blush :blush
It is fucking awful.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: April 29, 2020, 02:49:25 AM »
What a time mate!    The Great Kat................Guy Mann Dude  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #731 on: April 29, 2020, 04:48:03 AM »
What a time mate!    The Great Kat................Guy Mann Dude  :lol

I have the Guy Mann Dude as well  :lol
I reckon they were the same person. Awful scratchy tone. No melody.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: April 29, 2020, 05:03:13 AM »
Controversial opinion incoming: Eternal I think is a top 3 Strato album for me.  I still think it's brilliant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: April 29, 2020, 05:24:34 AM »
Controversial opinion incoming: Eternal I think is a top 3 Strato album for me.  I still think it's brilliant.

I only have the three latest, but it's a solid one.  I think I like the newer sound over what I sampled of the older stuff.

Just watched a few songs.  Great video and performance.  Timo sounds pretty good.

I watched some last night and turned it off. Thought it sounded terrible and there was like no energy, from anyone. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: April 29, 2020, 06:00:15 AM »

Eternal has some of my most favorite Strato tunes. My Eternal Dream sounds like it came straight out of Infinite.