Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 104783 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: STRATOVARIUS - New album "Elysium", Jan 12 2011. Single on Nov 26
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »
Very shocking news.  The rate of metal musicians getting sick lately is awful.  Hope he gets well really soon, an amazing drummer and seems like a cool guy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »
Wow that sucks, but he seem to have the right spirit and attitude to fight this. Can't wait to see him back behind the drums when the time is right!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:53 AM »
Actually, a few days ago, Matias posted in a Stratovarius thread in the forum of a Finnish website for musicians, that they have some sad news coming soon. I didn't know it'd be THIS sad news! Hopefully Jörg gets better soon!

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 04:42:40 AM »
Actually, a few days ago, Matias posted in a Stratovarius thread in the forum of a Finnish website for musicians, that they have some sad news coming soon. I didn't know it'd be THIS sad news! Hopefully Jörg gets better soon!

Where was that?

It is really sad news. Anyway, seems that with some therapy he will get ok. This kind of cancer plus detected that soon is 100% curable.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
I don't think you understand Finnish but here's the link: https://muusikoiden.net/keskustelu/posts.php?c=44&t=97406&o=280 He's the "Ambitus" guy. A rough translation of the his first post on the page:

"Alright, now the whole shit including bonus tracks is ready. I'll take a mug of beer to celebrate that.

There'll be many different special editions of the new album, and we've been working every night and day for almost 3 months. Tomorrow we'll fly to Germany and start rehearsing for the upcoming tour. Rock on!

ps. The band has some sad news coming up in a few days. I don't know if anyone is interested, but I'll post them here after we get the announcements ready.

Matias"

I thought it was some band member leaving but this is even more serious!

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:07 AM »
OK, many thanks for the info, ?.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 08:19:53 AM »
You can send your wishes to Jörg here www.stratovarius.eu

or mail to get_well_jorg@stratovarius.eu directly

All the messages will be published and forwarded and he will read our support.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »
Awful news, just sent him a short message, I hope he'll have the time to read it.

Get well, Jorg.  :metal

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 05:27:18 AM »
CMON JÖRG!! Get well soon! We want to see you again doint this things!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2rhG-Ic1Kk  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
Elysium deluxe edition cover.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
New interview with TImo Kotipelto:

STRATOVARIUS - Darkness And Light
Hot Flashes
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 03:13:29 EST

By Carl Begai

Nothing ever goes as planned, but that can be a positive. Case in point with STRATOVARIUS, who had planned to finish out 2010 working on a new record with a release set for February / March 2011. Instead, the band made the surprise move to release a new single in November 2010 featuring new tracks ‘Darkest Hours’ and ‘Infernal Maze’ in anticipation of a European tour supporting German metal veterans HELLOWEEN. At the same time the new album, Elysium, was pushed forward to hit the shelves in January 2011. Frontman Timo Kotipelto welcomes the familiar pre-release chaos, especially now that Stratovarius has an official new lease on life with the all-important second album featuring new guitarist Matias Kupiainen. He admits, however, that the buzz generated so far in advance of the new album is something of a surprise.

“It started last June when we got a call from the Helloween camp asking if we wanted to tour with them. We were planning on putting out the album next year but we nothing definite was confirmed, so when the tour offer came up we had figure something out. The album wasn’t going to be finished before the tour started, so we decided to release the single. The idea for an EP came from the record company, and I think it was a good one. The album itself is being mastered as we speak. It’s done.”

Kotipelto agrees that Stratovarius lucked out hooking up with Edel / earMusic, a label that has made its presence known once again on the metal scene over the last couple years. As with the release of Polaris, Edel has invested serious time and money in promoting the Helloween tour and the ‘Darkest Hours’ single; a rarity in the day and age of record companies being overly cautious about how they invest their finances.

“We’re very happy with the work Edel are doing. You said it yourself; the albums aren’t selling as many copies as they used to, many labels aren’t signing new bands, and if they are the bands aren’t promoted very well. Edel did a lot of work for Polaris and we have a very good relationship with them. We’re happy they’re actually doing this much work for us. It seems there’s going to be five or six months of tour altogether for the new album, which is a lot, but it’s good for us.”

Most fans agree that Polaris was a nice try, but not the full-on old school Stratovarius album everyone was hoping for. Elysium is, therefore, the band’s do or die effort. Asked if he learned anything from the Polaris experience that was applied – or not – to the new album, Kotipelto says it was in fact business as usual to some degree in spit of having a different working environment.

“I’ve done 12 or 13 albums in my life and it’s basically always the same hectic running to meet the deadline. It’s very stressful, so I basically haven’t learned anything (laughs). Working on the new album was different from Polaris, of course, because Matias had just joined the band when we started demoing stuff for the last album. We didn’t have the live experience with this line-up like we do now. The new album isn’t totally different from Polaris, but it is different. I would say the new album is the kind of album that Polaris should have been, but of course that wasn’t possible at the time. Hopefully it doesn’t sound too different from what people expect. The material sounds like the past but it’s presented in a modern day sort of way.”

“Most of the new stuff is actually composed by Matias,” he reveals. “There are two songs from Jens (Johansson / keyboards) and one from me. There’s one long song on the album, which is about 18 minutes divided into three different parts. We were thinking that they should be indexed separately, but it ended up on the album as just one long song.”

“I was pleasantly surprised,” Kotipelto says of Kupiainen. “He’s probably the best guitarist I’ve ever played live with. I don’t know what his problem is but he doesn’t make any mistakes (laughs). When he joined the band we weren’t tight as a group because we hadn’t played live together, but we did over 100 shows for Polaris. Those four or five months made us tighter and Matias is more relaxed because he knows what we’re expecting and what the fans expect.”

The forthcoming album is also an important step towards erasing the tabloid drama of the last several years and the fallout that has dogged the band since they decided to continue without guitarist Timo Tolkki.

“I think the media will take us more seriously again. Some of them thought we were just living off our past with Polaris, thinking we couldn’t compose anything without Tolkki. If you listen to the new album you’ll see that we don’t need him in the band anymore. We respect him as a songwriter but we’ve definitely moved on.”

The focus is on the tour, however, and not what the media hacks think.

“I see the tour as a really good opportunity for us – and for Helloween – to reach more people together. Especially for us because they already had this tour set up; it was very easy for us to just jump in. The fans are very enthusiastic about this idea of having two power metal old time bands out there together. Power metal hasn’t been all that popular over the last few years, but some of the bands that were bigger in the past are still there. I don’t think there’s a lot of selection for fans of this kind of music when it comes to shows, so I think this is going to be a good tour.”

Sadly, word came down a couple weeks before the tour that drummer Jörg Michael had been diagnosed with cancer. A crushing blow for a band on its way back up, but Kotipelto says that Michael wasn’t about to watch Stratovarius come to a grinding halt on his behalf.

“Jörg told us we shouldn’t cancel the tour, that we should to start the tour without him, and he’s planning to join us in January. I believe he’ll beat the cancer. He’s now taking some iodine treatment and can't be on the first leg with us, but I saw him during the weekend and he was very optimistic about his return. The rehearsals with (temporary replacement) Alex Landenburg are going well; he’s a good drummer and a very nice guy. We’ll try to deliver as good shows as possible considering the situation. Jörg's illness came as a total shock to us and it took days to even understand what it’s all about. He’s very happy about all the support he’s gotten from friends and fans. He’s a fighter and won’t give up, and we’re looking forward to his triumphant return.”

https://www.bravewords.com/news/151135

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 02:15:14 AM »
Darkest Hours whole song in youtube (the single was released yesterday in Finland)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OmLxD1liI

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 03:26:21 AM »
Just listened to Darkest Hours, very impressive stuff.  Very fresh, great keyboards from Jens, and a nice touch with the 7 string.  Really great chorus, and some nice progressive moments.  Digging Jens chromatic runs in the solo.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 03:41:25 AM »
Sounds really cool. And it is a single, I mean a more easy song. But this is not like other singles they made, this is a bit more complex and it's not a song that you get tired at the second listen. Wow, this album seems is gonna be really good!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2010, 10:57:33 AM »
I'm not too impressed. Guess I'll have to wait for the album to be blown away.  :biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2010, 06:31:16 AM »
Darkest Hours is great! Can't wait to hear the whole album!

Offline RazielSR

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 05:35:07 AM »
Pictures practising with Alex Landenburg, the replacement drummer till January more or less when the return of Jörg  is planned: https://www.the-pit.de/fotos/article/fotos-stratovarius-in-castrop-rauxel-proberaum-november-2010/

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:49:53 AM by RazielSR »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2010, 05:52:28 AM »
Infernal Maze is great too! Sounds quite different compared to their other stuff.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »
get well soon...the tune is great
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Kosmo

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:47 PM »
I'm still very interested about the 18minute song.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2010, 03:53:43 AM »
Elysium (the album) samples online: https://www.amazon.de/Elysium/dp/B004EP2WDA/

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »
Those samples sound great!  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »
I hate 30 second samples, but nevertheless, is sounds solid.  There seems to be a couple more faster tracks on this, but I still would like a couple more.  That was my only problem with Polaris, I wanted more classic Higher We Go type songs. 

Kosmo

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
All of the songs sound very solid.  :tup

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2010, 06:46:06 AM »

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
The first leg of the tour with Helloween has finished. There are alot of videos in youtube but here I post some regarding new songs:

Under Flaming Skies (AMAZING!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNt0KuPBW-U

Darkest Hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2wFMBKop6c&feature=player_embedded

And some classics:

Black Diamond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjOE9TU5BMM&feature=player_embedded

Distant Skies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkTTJRSzV0&feature=player_embedded

Against the wind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nni-aoFnKuQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
lol..that's the title of the album by The Velvet Teen I've been into of late. I'm there's no other resemblance between the two though.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:31 AM »
Quote:
23/12/2010 | Message from Jörg

Dear All,
this is Joerg speaking after all.

I hope this mail finds everybody well and everybody is in easy beasy Christmas mood already.
The first leg of the European tour with Helloween is over – time to have a few words with you.

First of all lets not forget the brilliant emergency rescue action and playing of Alex, thanx again for all what you did for the fans, the band and also for me.
Surely I hate the idea of somebdy is sitting on "my chair" but this special action needed some special treatment and I am proud and happy that it was you Alex. Thanx again, we see around for a real drink, not like these other Scandinavian pussies in the band:-)))

I was overwhelmed by all the wishes, tons of emails and text messages I received from all over the world wishing me a speedy recovery.
Thank you so much for supporting me and it made me feel very strong fighting this bastards inside of me.

I have some good news to tell you and believe me - I really enjoy to tell the world:
The surgery was done about 6 weeks ago and the first therapy is done as well.
All looks good so far and as Jens told me before:
"Do not worry Jörg, what should survive in your body after all what you did to him!"
Finally he was right, there are only small bits and bobs left - I will fight those with another therapy in about 4 month time.
I think I have been very lucky that it was discovered by one of my friends in a very early state.
Very good that my friend decided to become a doctor, he was very lousy when he tried playing the guitar.

Besides I am preparing myself for Christmas, I am currently practicing the drums to be ready and kickin again when the tour continues in the new year.
I will be back, thanx again for everything and lets get alive and kicking once again, see you in Paris and everywhere else......

Best,
Jörg Michael

https://www.stratovarius.fr/index1.php

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2010, 06:50:15 AM »
Sounds great!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2010, 07:39:35 AM »
Glad to hear he's ok now!  :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2010, 08:13:19 AM »
 :metal

Kosmo

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
Yaay!  ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Amazing news.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2010, 07:25:08 AM »
EVENT HORIZON (Japanese radio): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijicu6eYQjU