Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105088 times)

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #245 on: February 02, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
Im sure they will too, Just Jorg was a pretty creative drummer for what they played. he had a lot of cool patterns and his speed and endurance were out of this world. playing a song like "Find  Your Own Voice" at album tempo doesnt look like an easy task.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #246 on: February 02, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »
Jörg is a very good drummer but not irreplacable - the change won't be as big as when Tolkki was replaced by Matias.

Oh, and a clip that was noticed even in the Finnish media: Stratosphere played by an 8-year-old girl

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
its actually funny, ive seen that clip circling through Facebook a lot. and actually like none of them know who Stratovarius is. theyre all "OMG THAT KID IS PLAYING FAST LOL." but Strat is pretty big

Offline E.S.

« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »
Episode through Infinite is the golden age as far as I'm concerned. That was the soundtrack of my life in that period. Also the first band I heard who had really technically challenging parts and the wildest solos.
Then SFAM came out...  ;)

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:51 PM »
Stratovarius
Drummer wanted!

We have now played the final Latin America gigs with Jörg Michael, who is leaving the band after 16 years. 2011 started with the release of the "Elysium" album and was a long year with a long world tour together with Helloween. After some time off, we are now looking to the future, composing material for the next album, and we are also looking for the next drummer.

We have some great candidates already, but since we have a bit of time, we decided to also cast a wider net to see what comes up. So, if you have some touring and recording experience, are - more important - musical and hard hitting, and - most important - a nice dude, you might be the one we are looking for!

If you think this sounds like you, playing in a world famous metal band for a living sounds like something you'd enjoy, and if you want us to listen, please put on some headphones and record a video of yourself playing any of these three Stratovarius songs: Coming Home, Father Time or Deep Unknown. You can for instance upload them to youtube.

Send the video links and a short letter with your personal information to this email address: drummer@stratovarius.com

What do you have to lose? The world awaits you! Plus money, fame, great times, and all the beer you can drink.

With best regards,
Jens, Lauri, Matias and Timo

https://es-es.facebook.com/stratovarius

Some people sending videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADHFZ3VU6KQ&feature=player_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEL2zrixokE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADHFZ3VU6KQ&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSg6egYdf9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wSsauo4ndZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWJtiFzLWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfx7XXYMl1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJV2QQR8iSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8TyAthHQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScoEhgZ0ewk

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:52 AM »
Stratovarius' new live album "Under Flaming Winter Skies - Live in Tampere" will be released on June 29, 2012 by earMUSIC / Edel Germany GmbH.

This live album will be released as at least three formats: 2CD-set, DVD and Blu-Ray Disc.

2CD-set
Label: earMUSIC / Edel Germany GmbH
Release Date: June 29, 2012
Catalogue Number: 0207551ERE
Bar-Code: 4029759075516

"Under Flaming Winter Skies - Live In Tampere" tracklist:
CD 1
01. "Under Flaming Skies"
02. "I Walk To My Own Song"
03. "Speed Of Light"
04. "Kiss Of Judas"
05. "Deep Unknown"
06. Guitar Solo
07. "Eagleheart"
08. "Paradise"
09. "Visions"
10. Bass Solo
11. "Coming Home"

CD 2
01. "Legions Of The Twilight"
02. "Darkest Hours"
03. "Burn"
04. "Behind Blue Eyes"
05. "Winter Skies"
06. Keyboard Solo
07. "Black Diamond"
08. "Father Time"
09. "Hunting High And Low"

Tracklist DVD / Blu-ray:
01. Intro
02. "Under Flaming Skies"
03. "I Walk To My Own Song"
04. "Speed Of Light"
05. "Kiss Of Judas"
06. "Deep Unknown"
07. Guitar Solo
08. "Eagleheart"
09. "Paradise"
10. "Visions"
11. Bass Solo
12. "Coming Home"
13. "Legions Of The Twillight"
14. "Darkest Hours"
15. Jörg Speech
16. "Burn"
17. "Behind Blue Eyes"
18. "Winter Skies"
19. Keyboard Solo
20. "Black Diamond"
21. "Father Time"
22. "Hunting High And Low"

Bonus:
Documentary: Rewinding from the past to 2012
5.1 mix of "Elysium" (taken from the album "Elysium") - only on Blu-Ray

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2012, 08:14:46 AM »
What's the band lineup for the live album?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
What's the band lineup for the live album?

The same since TT left: Matias, Kotipelto, Jens, Lauri and Jörg. This new live album and blu ray is about Jörg farewell.

They are looking for a new drummer and a new album will be out later this year or beginning of 2013.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2012, 10:24:44 AM »
OK thanks.I actually don't have anything by them. What is their heaviest album?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2012, 01:46:20 AM »
^ Probably the self-titled record but most fans and even the band members themselves agree that it's one of their weakest. Their first three albums are overall pretty dark-sounding and apart from the terrible debut (Fright Night) they're very good IMO, although many fans overlook them because of Timo Tolkki's vocals and the fact that none of the current members appear on those releases.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2012, 03:28:02 AM »
Definitely buying this, can't wait.

Twlight Time I find pretty heavy too.  Overlooked album, but really really good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2012, 04:18:31 AM »
Twlight Time I find pretty heavy too.  Overlooked album, but really really good.
Ditto. Dreamspace rules too - speaking of it, Tolkki mentioned that if his solo album gets funded, then he'll also release Return to Dreamspace as a Pledgemusic project and there'll be some extras like old demos. Now that he's reached the 100% with the solo record, maybe RTD will finally come true! :metal

One thing I paid attention to in the DVD tracklisting was the way Legions was titled as Legions of the Twilight ??? I also see they didn't include the Queensryche song although they played it, copyright reasons perhaps?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2012, 04:23:48 AM »
What QR song?

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2012, 05:56:11 AM »
Yes, seems the QR cover won't be in the dvd/blu due to copyright issues. Anyway, there are some videos in youtube about covers they made in this farewell tour:

Burn ( Deep Purple's Cover)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zkc-WORF7c

I Don't Believe In Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjVE13S7uc&feature=related

About their "heavy" albums, maybe Twilight Time, Dreamspace and selftitled. But their best album without any question for me is Episode, it is one of my fav (if not the best) metal album for me ever created. then I would say 4th Dimension and Visions, then Elysium maybe.

If you want to check, I have almost all of their albums in my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SRRazielSR/videos?view=1

About Timo Tolkki, his pledge project is going really well. Classival Variations 2: Credo will contain Kiske, Jens Johansson, Sherinian, Lassila and others playing some songs. We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:30:31 AM by RazielSR »

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
Live DVD/Blu-Ray trailer. WOW CAN'T WAIT!!

https://youtu.be/7Boy9YhXB_8

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Dreamspace is by far the best record. It's the darkest, the heaviest and the all-around-awesomest record that they have ever done, with Shattered, Abyss, Tears of Ice and Eyes of the World being standout tracks, along with the title track (and Full Moon, the Japanese bonus track).

And holy fuck. I've been waiting for this live release for ages, ever since it was known that a live DVD would exist. That setlist is fucking killer.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline RazielSR

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »
Commented STRATOVARIUS singer singer Timo Kotipelto: "Although the competition was fierce, Rolf was clearly the best one of the bunch. His precise playing, sureness and right attitude was there right away. He has an astonishing technique and to top that of he has a very musical way of playing, so he can bring something of his own into our old songs as well. Rolf has played a variety of different styles of metal, so fast tempos or more progressive parts will not be a problem. Whatever songs we might compose in the future — I have no doubt that he will be able to play them."

Added Rolf: "I had prepared for the audition thoroughly, learning all the songs we agreed on, with the live endings and everything. In addition to that, I had also learned some extra songs just to be safe. Playing with the guys was excellent, and already the next day after the audition I got to hear that I had been the best one of the drummers they had auditioned. What followed was yet another audition where we would play more casually and jam."

STRATOVARIUS received more than 100 applications, some of them very competent and high-caliber Finns, but also included were some foreign drummers who had already made a name for themselves.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:54 AM »
...and the average age of Stratovarius members gets lower once again (Rolf is born in '87)! :lol I haven't heard Rolf's playing before but I'm interested to hear what he'll bring to Stratovarius.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »
Yeah that was the first thing I noticed, he's the same age as Mattius I believe.

Kosmo

« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2012, 06:32:07 AM »
Interesting choice. Not a shabby drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY6_SUqWDvI

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2012, 09:34:25 PM »
So im really confused on the dates of when the new dvd is released. amazon is saying like July 10th for the CD and august 28th for the dvd. but the site says like june 27th but also june 29th? Can anyone confirm when its out in the US?

Offline RazielSR

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
The first gig with the new drummer! Wow, this drummer is just amazing, is gonna put Stratovarius in another level for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4U_cP-34tQ

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
Eternity is one of my favorite songs, good to see that they're playing it again! :tup Looking at the setlist, they've also dropped Speed of Light after all these years.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »
Eternity is one of my favorite songs, good to see that they're playing it again! :tup Looking at the setlist, they've also dropped Speed of Light after all these years.

It is my favourite Stratovarius song with Speed of light. And yes, they never use to play Eternity, that is an awesome and fantastic song. That's when TT was really inspired and was just... like another person.

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
Love Stratovarius. Saw them in 2006 in NYC with new bassist Lauri Porra, who happens to be one of my favorite bassists after hearing him with Warmen.

Visions and Episode are especially great albums. Polaris ranks among my favorite Strato albums, too. I still need to listen to Elysium.

Johansson's The Last Viking (with Jens Johansson, Anders Johansson, Goran Edman, and Michael Romeo) is easily up there with Visions, imo.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
Love Stratovarius. Saw them in 2006 in NYC with new bassist Lauri Porra, who happens to be one of my favorite bassists after hearing him with Warmen.

Visions and Episode are especially great albums. Polaris ranks among my favorite Strato albums, too. I still need to listen to Elysium.

Johansson's The Last Viking (with Jens Johansson, Anders Johansson, Goran Edman, and Michael Romeo) is easily up there with Visions, imo.

Do it. Especially the title track is fucking orgasmic, but the rest of the album ain't half bad either.

I have to, however, revoke the opinion that I mentioned at the top of this page: after listening to quite a bit of Stratovarius during the last month or so, Polaris has surpassed Dreamspace as my favourite.  :metal

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »

Do it. Especially the title track is fucking orgasmic, but the rest of the album ain't half bad either.

I have to, however, revoke the opinion that I mentioned at the top of this page: after listening to quite a bit of Stratovarius during the last month or so, Polaris has surpassed Dreamspace as my favourite.  :metal

I will tonight.  ;D

Have you heard Johansson's The Last Viking? If not, you might be quite amazed by it and think it's on par with the best Stratovarius albums.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:43:02 PM by RichardRG »

Offline gazinwales

Re: STRATOVARIUS - New album "Elysium"
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
I bought the BR of the Tampere show.
There are only 2 covers, Burn (one of my all time fave songs) and The Who cover.
The video is very well show, the HD is really clear and good lighting.
The audio is good too, both stereo and surround mixes are very good, with the bass really shining.
However Kotipleto does sound low in both mixes, dunno if he was sick or had an off night?

Extra's a history of the band and a nice interview with Jorg.

If your a Strato fan well worth buying.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2012, 06:53:32 AM »
Matias changed the solo in Distant Skies (sounds familiar?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkeWrm1T0Qg#t=2m28s

Nice! The Elysium solo fits there really well.  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2012, 03:55:26 PM »
I bought the BR of the Tampere show.
There are only 2 covers, Burn (one of my all time fave songs) and The Who cover.
The video is very well show, the HD is really clear and good lighting.
The audio is good too, both stereo and surround mixes are very good, with the bass really shining.
However Kotipleto does sound low in both mixes, dunno if he was sick or had an off night?

Extra's a history of the band and a nice interview with Jorg.

If your a Strato fan well worth buying.

Still have to get this,  but to be honest, Kotipelto has always been an awful live singer.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »
Just checking in to say that Elysium is one of my favourite songs atm.  :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
The whole album is top 3 Strato IMO, and the title track is definitely one of their best efforts.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
Still have to get this,  but to be honest, Kotipelto has always been an awful live singer.
He's kinda hit or miss I think. I've seen some great performances, some bad.