Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105114 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2011, 04:08:55 AM »
That's a great album run.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2011, 06:54:48 AM »
I'm trying to get into Strato but they don't have any of their CD's at the CD shop that I go to. Only elysium and it costs like $25 so I just end up getting something else :p Plus I want to get some of their older stuff first. Does anyone know some good, safe, cheap websites where I can order them online to Australia (Wolfking?? :p )?

https://www.cdwow.com.au/search?q=stratovarius&t=all

CDWOW.  Reliable, free shipping and cheap as hell.  It's the real deal, I have used it for at least the last 12 months.  Sometimes shipping can be a little slow, but for the cost it's always been worth it for me.  I have purchased at least 100 cd's off these guys over the last 12 months.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »
I'm trying to get into Strato but they don't have any of their CD's at the CD shop that I go to. Only elysium and it costs like $25 so I just end up getting something else :p Plus I want to get some of their older stuff first. Does anyone know some good, safe, cheap websites where I can order them online to Australia (Wolfking?? :p )?

https://www.cdwow.com.au/search?q=stratovarius&t=all

CDWOW.  Reliable, free shipping and cheap as hell.  It's the real deal, I have used it for at least the last 12 months.  Sometimes shipping can be a little slow, but for the cost it's always been worth it for me.  I have purchased at least 100 cd's off these guys over the last 12 months.
Thanks a lot man! This will really help a lot :D I don't mind about the slow shipping. Awesome, its good to get a recommendation to know if a site is safe/reliable. Thanks again! :)

edit: Wow, these are cheap!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:15 AM »
Yeah, and all items are 100% legit.  Underrated site, with lots of titles.

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2011, 01:44:19 PM »
yeah EPISODE and VISIONS are masterpieces  :metal

this is the albums that i got into Stratovarius  ;D and about that Dreamspace thing i'm really looking forward to it Tolkki is one of my favorite guitar player so i guess i won't be disappointed also should i listen to his "Symfonia" project (if anyone heard of this?)...

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »
Stratovarius is in my top 5 favorite bands. i absolutly love them. i saw them in 2005 i think at BBkings in NYC. the show was absolutly amazing, they were soo good.

i loveeee kotipeltos voice so much  :metal

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2011, 02:37:29 PM »
I saw them in 2006. They put a really fun show, one of the concerts I've enjoyed the most.

Nowadays I rarely listen to them, but I was a big fan when I was starting to get into metal.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: STRATOVARIUS - New album "Elysium"
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2011, 03:40:35 AM »
Jörg leaves Stratovarius!
The link is in Finnish but it says that Jörg has decided to leave Stratovarius for personal reasons and he will play his last gigs with Stratovarius in November in Finland (none of those is unfortunately in my home town!). However, he will stay in their booking agency. I had been wondering about the lack of news and tour dates, and maybe this was the reason for silence... :sad: Well, he's quite old and the cancer must have been a tough experience. There's no info about a replacement drummer, but my guess is that Alex Landenburg will join the band. BTW, there's a new video for Under Flaming Skies!

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2011, 05:11:48 AM »
Yes, I have seen this in Stratovarius forum:

Stratovarius say farewell to drummer Jörg Michael

Jörg Michael who last year was treated for thyroid cancer has decided to leave Stratovarius for personal reasons.

Stratovarius who have sold over 2.5 million records worldwide will say farewell to their drummer on the upcoming Finnish tour Nov. 18 - 26 2011. The tour is called "Jörg Farewell Tour"

Jörg Michael from Germany joined the band in 1995 and his first Stratovarius-album was Episode in 1996. He has played in the band over 15 years on nine CDs and on more than a thousand gigs.

- We can't but accept Jörg's decicion which from our view is unfortunate, and wish him all the best in the future. I can assure that the band will keep moving on says Timo Kotipelto, the singer of the band.

Jörg Michael will remain in the band's organization where he will keep working in Twisted Talent agency like he has done for years besides his job as a drummer.

Currently the band is touring in Russia with Helloween. They will play in Moscow and in St Peterburg in this weekend

Let's see who will be the replacement drummer. Alex is in Symfonia now, so I don't know...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:18:12 AM by RazielSR »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2011, 05:30:55 AM »
I really don't see Symfonia lasting too long, he's be mad not to join Strato.  I hope Jorg is still doing well, since we don't really know the exact reasons for his leaving.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2011, 05:39:43 AM »
I really don't see Symfonia lasting too long, he's be mad not to join Strato.  I hope Jorg is still doing well, since we don't really know the exact reasons for his leaving.

Well, they are gonna release another album; release date march 2012. They start preproduction next moth. The band is doing really well, seriously. But I don't now if Alex is in the band to stay or not.

Kosmo

« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2011, 05:47:08 AM »
Jörgi left?!

Although it makes me sad it makes sense, he has served the band more than well over the years.  :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2011, 06:00:45 AM »
Alex is in Symfonia? I thought he was just a temporary solution... Well, I still believe Strato will get some young talent to drum for them. Of course Jörg never wrote songs, but it's sad how only 2 guys (Timo and Jens) are left from the classic line-up. :-\

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2011, 06:26:23 AM »

Well, they are gonna release another album; release date march 2012. They start preproduction next moth. The band is doing really well, seriously. But I don't now if Alex is in the band to stay or not.

Fair enough, I didn't know that, I hope the next cd is better than the first, because seriously I didn't like that at all.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »
Tolkki (I think it's a legit account) posted a few days ago on a Finnish metal forum that he'd been drinking coffee with Tuomo Lassila and Antti Ikonen and discussing the direction of the "Return to Dreamspace" album with them. He also mentioned that Waltari (a fellow Finnish metal/crossover band) will play a 25th anniversary show in November and their singer Kärtsy asked him if Project Strato could play at that show and he said yes. BUT I won't be holding my breath, he's been talking about this for 3 years already! :lol If they really make that appearance, I guess then this can be taken more seriously. However, I remember he said in '08/09 that they won't do any live shows, but looks like he had a change of heart. Here's the link, other Finns can confirm this: https://lauta.imperiumi.net/viewtopic.php?p=830817#p830817

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #226 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:04 AM »
Stratovarius has to be the only band where not a single member from their first album is on their most recent album  :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2011, 12:59:34 AM »
Actually In Flames has no members left from the line-up that played on their debut. But for Stratovarius this is more notable as the most long-time current member joined after the band had been around for 10 years and released 3 albums! :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2011, 01:20:27 AM »
Kotipelto was interviewed by Finnish metal magazine Inferno (link: https://www.inferno.fi/haastis-stratovarius-hyvastelee-jorg-michaelin-6087/ ) and he mentioned the other guys weren't surprised by Jörg's decision, but are grateful that he managed to tour with them, despite the cancer. He also said they'll play some never-before played songs at the last gigs with Jörg! Good to hear they're shaking up things, I haven't been to any of their shows before, but I'm QUITE sure most fans are tired of hearing the same songs everytime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2011, 04:52:56 AM »
Good to see the split is as happy a situation as it can be.

Kosmo

« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »
Good to see the split is as happy a situation as it can be.
Yep, It's nice to know that he'll still be involved with the band.

Also, I've got a new found respect for the Elements albums. Well I've liked the second one for a long time but I never really liked the first one until recently.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
Also, I've got a new found respect for the Elements albums. Well I've liked the second one for a long time but I never really liked the first one until recently.
For me it was the other way round: I liked Part 1 after a couple of listens already, but Part 2 took much time to grow on me. It's still among my least fave Strato albums but I really like some songs, especially Alpha & Omega, I'm Still Alive and Awaken the Giant.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
Part 1 is their best album IMO, Part 2, not so much.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2011, 10:18:46 AM »
Timo Tolkki has said his family listened to a lot of Finnish "iskelmä" music and he has subconsciously added some of those melodies into some Stratosongs - I think the following melodies may sound quite familiar to Strato-fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NLDUnSrzqU 0.48 and Forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a-ICAE5HLE intro and Black Diamond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URzTW2iNcWM 0.05 and Eagleheart

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »
Stratovarius filmed a live DVD in Finland last Saturday and this is the setlist.

I like the addition of IWTMOS and Coming Home, but seriously: 3 cover songs? I'd be satisfied if they had played the title-track of Elysium instead of those. Besides, Kiss of Judas and Paradise could've been replaced with 1 song off Fourth Dimension and Destiny and another Infinite song would've been nice too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2011, 03:02:31 AM »
Meh setlist.  Behind Blue Eyes, seriously?  Tolkki should never sing any songs besides his own as he always sounds terrible on covers IMO.

Kosmo

« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2011, 03:25:46 AM »
Meh setlist.  Behind Blue Eyes, seriously?  Tolkki should never sing any songs besides his own as he always sounds terrible on covers IMO.
Tolkki hasn't been in the band since 2008 and hasn't sung on a Strato album since 1994.   :biggrin:

I think you mean Kotipelto, in which case I agree.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »
Whoops, don't know how I made that mistake.  :lol yeah, I meant Kotipelto.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »
It's a pretty cool list, despite three covers.  :smiley:

I wanted them to play Elysium for their live DVD, but I guess that wasn't a realistic wish.   :biggrin:

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2011, 05:39:14 AM »
This is an intereesting interview people ( Jörg & Timo 19.11.2011 ): https://youtu.be/H-4paR3wIzU

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »
Matias changed the solo in Distant Skies (sounds familiar?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkeWrm1T0Qg#t=2m28s

Kosmo

« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2011, 01:05:37 AM »
I think that I've heard that somewhere.  :justjen

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17:27 AM »
Matias changed the solo in Distant Skies (sounds familiar?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkeWrm1T0Qg#t=2m28s

Ahhh!!  Elysium!  :lol

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
:( its a very sad day in Stratovarius land. Mr. Jörg Michael, the Drummer for Stratovarius for the last 17 years, has left the band... imo the best drummer in the genre. They left on good terms, and the band has known about his departure  for the last few months. im curious  to see where they go from here. they have shows booked so im curious on how the process will go. the last 2 members replaced, fit very well so im sure this wont be any different.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:37:05 AM by Scrub206 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2012, 03:51:30 AM »
Jorg was great, but i'm sure they'll fine someone more than capable to replace him.