Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105020 times)

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: STRATOVARIUS - New album "Elysium"
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2011, 04:13:30 AM »
Well now its been a month or so I want to know if this album is still worth picking up?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: February 24, 2011, 04:19:08 AM »
Well now its been a month or so I want to know if this album is still worth picking up?

Read the last couple of pages of this thread ans you will get an overwhelming answer.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Kosmo

« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:53 AM »
It's seriously the Best Strato since Infinite.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Just listened to the new album. It's pretty average Stratovarius for me up until the last two or three songs, then WOW, so good. The title track in particular blew me away.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: February 25, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »
Just listened to the new album. It's pretty average Stratovarius for me up until the last two or three songs, then WOW, so good. The title track in particular blew me away.

Listen to it a few more times and give it time, it grows into a monster.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2011, 03:04:45 AM »
I've been reading the thread, I just wanted to know if it continued to live up to its initial hype :D

Thanks.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2011, 05:10:34 AM »
I've been reading the thread, I just wanted to know if it continued to live up to its initial hype :D

Thanks.

It continues in me and I would say I like even more. I have not been listening to an album that much since I heard Episode or Visions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2011, 05:59:06 AM »

Thanks.

Definitely.  It's worth every bit of your cash.  It sounds so fresh every time I play it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2011, 06:13:48 AM »
I'm playing it right now. It's been a month and the album still sounds incredible to me. I think I've played at least one song every single day, especially on my way to uni and back.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2011, 04:41:24 AM »
A nice interview with Lauri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqOqKsl5fEE

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2011, 05:03:34 AM »
Awesome, I will have to purchase it soon. Is it a good album to start getting into Stratovarius with? I'm already fairly familiar with their sound (or at least their classic sound), but I don't own any of their albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2011, 06:24:30 PM »
Awesome, I will have to purchase it soon. Is it a good album to start getting into Stratovarius with? I'm already fairly familiar with their sound (or at least their classic sound), but I don't own any of their albums.

The only disadvantage you have is you may haven't been through the Strato rollercoaster over the years and therefore haven't seen what the guys have been through to get to this incredible point in thier career with this album, I think their journey makes a lot of us appriciate this album even more.  For a band to come out with this product is nothing short of amazing!

But saying that, if you like this kind of metal, you won't be disappointed with Elysium.  Also pick up, Infinite, Visions and even Elements Pt1 and Twilight Time.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2011, 03:36:43 AM »
Ok, I sure will. Which one/s would you recommend picking up first? I'll head out on saturday to get some :)

Kosmo

« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
Get Visions and Episode IMO, after that Destiny and Infinite. They're the ''staple'' albums of this band.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2011, 06:04:08 AM »
Ok, will do :D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2011, 10:26:47 AM »
I agree with Kosmo, Episode and Visions are the most important albums in Stratovarius' career (even though I don't really care for Visions).

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »
I listened to a couple of songs from the album tonight, it was cool but I dunno if it was enough to convince me to check out more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2011, 03:05:56 AM »
I listened to a couple of songs from the album tonight, it was cool but I dunno if it was enough to convince me to check out more.

Which songs?

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:04 AM »
 :D :D did you listen two songs and don't want to hear more?  ;D ;D ;D That's really strange. I mean, I always listen to the whole songs to have an idea.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
This must be the worst performance from TK I've ever heard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbtRVcLIbQ :|

Kosmo

« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2011, 02:36:16 AM »
Those times were not easy for anyone in the band, i guess that doesn't justify bad singing but i'm sure they're all stressed as hell there. The band was at a breaking point, if i remember that's the last show where Tolkki played with them?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2011, 05:45:57 AM »
Those times were not easy for anyone in the band, i guess that doesn't justify bad singing but i'm sure they're all stressed as hell there. The band was at a breaking point, if i remember that's the last show where Tolkki played with them?

yeah, I'm pretty sure you are right.  I think that's the show where they debuted Last Night On Earth which was suppose to be the lead track off the new album.  Instead it went on to the Revolution Renaissance debut with Kiske.

There's videos of the Coldness tour on youtube too which are just as bad, actually probably much worse.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2011, 02:28:28 PM »
Well, people the problem with Stratovarius songs is that they are always maybe one of the most difficult to sing live and that high notes are impossible. TK have amazing performances, search for Raunmanmari in youtube (in my youtube account I have the full concert): https://www.youtube.com/user/SRRazielSR#p/u

If you just post moments when it was all a disaster in the band, is normal.  There are tons of videos when you understand that just TK is capable to sing that kind os songs.

Of course, he has lost a lot of range these past years (this has been discussed in the official forums 100000 times), but in studio he sounds perfect. In this tour he has been infected with a bacteria, a food poisoning.... and he stills not singing like he used to, but take a look at this little video of Infernal Maze, I think is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1ZtaBcX80 He is feeling a lot better step by step.

And the band is now instrumentally fantastic live, sounds amazing live.

And the last concertwith TT was in Madrid
, I made a topic about it in Stratoforum: https://forum.stratovarius.com/viewtopic.php?t=8945&highlight=last+concert .  ;D Now I remember that Jens talked about it in the topic.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:36:43 PM by RazielSR »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
I just found the medley they played at shows in 2003 on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17ynH199Vc Kotipelto sounds pretty good singing those oldies! There are some Fourth Dimension era bootleg videos worth checking out too.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
Jorg Michael is such a solid drummer imo.

ugh ive been in such a stratovarius mood. its soooooooo good  :metal

Kosmo

Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
From Tolkki's facebook:
I have nice news for you. We are planning to celebrate the 30 year existence of Stratovarius with the Original Dreamspace line up releasing an album in January 2012.
Classical Variations VOL 1 will be rereleased as remastered version with new album VOL 2 with bonus DVD including interviews. I will play guitar,bass and sing. Drummer will be John Macaluso. Release will be mid September.
Symfonia will be active later this year with gigs around Sonisphere France. Hope you like the news. Happy Easter  -Timo

Dreamspace 2..Fuck yes!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
Cool, but the Dreamspace lineup was suppose to happen a long time ago.  I won't hold my breath until it happens.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
I'm trying to get into Strato but they don't have any of their CD's at the CD shop that I go to. Only elysium and it costs like $25 so I just end up getting something else :p Plus I want to get some of their older stuff first. Does anyone know some good, safe, cheap websites where I can order them online to Australia (Wolfking?? :p )?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:45:05 AM by Jirpo »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »
So Return to Dreamspace is finally happening? :metal I was thinking it would never happen, since there were no news about it. Dreamspace is one of my favorite Strato albums, so I will definitely buy that one when it comes out! BTW, there is a thread about Stratovarius already.
I'm trying to get into Strato but they don't have any of their CD's at the CD shop that I go to. Only elysium and it costs like $25 so I just end up getting something else :p Plus I want to get some of their older stuff first. Does anyone know some good, safe, cheap sites where I can order them online to Australia (Wolfking?? :p )?
I don't know about shops, but if you want album recommendations, get Episode and Visions first, then Infinite.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:43 AM »
Ok, thanks for the recommendations!

Kosmo

« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2011, 03:47:48 AM »
Destiny is also a very safe choice for a Strato-virgin, in my top 3.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2011, 04:08:32 AM »
Destiny is also a very safe choice for a Strato-virgin, in my top 3.
Ok thanks, I guess I'll start with Episode->Visions->Infinity->Destiny :)