Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 104825 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: STRATOVARIUS - New album "Elysium"
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:56 AM »
Visions and Episode are tied as my favourite Strato album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2011, 03:59:59 AM »
My ranking ATM:

Elysium
Episode
Fourth Dimension
Polaris
Elements Pt. 1
Infinite
Dreamspace
Twilight Time
Destiny
Visions
Elements Pt. 2
Stratovarius
Fright Night

It's a pity that Twilight Time, Dreamspace, and sometimes even Fourth Dimension, are so underrated!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2011, 04:19:02 AM »
Holy shit, is Elysium even better than Polaris, my favorite Stratovarius release? I'll have to give it a listen when I'm done with the exams.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »
I have to say that this album has exceeded all my expectations. I was sure that this album would be better than Polaris, cause Polaris was released in a strange environment with a lot of pressure and now, with the guys together just letting the art appears, the album would be really good.

But wow! This album is better than I thought! I'm really happy with this album cause it has a lot of variations in the whole album, it is well constructed, perfect arrengements, wonderful solos, a lot of guitar, a lot of bass, a lot of drums, a lot of keys and TK sing just like he just can, I like a lot the tone in the whole album and the variations he have in his voice for this album. In Polaris the voice sounded a bit forced in some songs, not being bad, just a bit strange. Now it's all really polished and perfectly mixed.

Soon to say, but I think that, having in mind that i have listen to the album so many times, I'm able to say that it is in my Top 3, with Episode, Visions and Fourth Dimension. I can't say that Destiny of Infinite for example are better than this album, I can't cause I don't feel it.

Darkest Hours: is the typical single. I think it is more a kind of single than Deep Unknown was. Anyway I think DU is better as a song, but not for a single. A new Stratovarius single with a catchy chorus, nice melodies and fantastic solo. a song that makes you feel good. The message is very very good.

Under Flaming Skies: is the best song composed ever by TK with difference. I think the improvement in TK comes thanks to Matias too, cause from the very beginning this two guys fits really well while composing.

Infernal Maze: is like the typical Stratovarius song but with that new elements Matias have. It is a relly enjoyable song and powerful. It reminds me a bit the way TK sings to Find your own voice.

Fairness Justified: a slow song that fits perfect at that part of the album. It is maybe the "weakest" song for me, but I can't say this song is weak, it is just because I have to find something weak in the album . Anyway, the solo is amazing and it is one of the best in the whole album. Reminds me a bit of the kind of song The abyss of your eyes is.

The Game Never Ends: (or here comes Jens). Faster than light!  A really fast and technical song with a lot of energy thanks to the Jens keyboard. It is a song that makes you think inmediately with Jens getting mad with the keys. The lyrics are a bit strange sometimes, but they are cool and have a lot of meaning. A song that all keyboards player should listen.

Lifetime In A Moment: one of my favourites songs from the album. Lauri, it is Lauri. Atmospheric song with really cool riff and amazing bass line and with a lot of versatility with TK vocals. Maybe one of the best works while singing from TK in the album. some kind of midtempo-atmospheric-slow-strong song. The only think I hate is the intro, cause it is too long.

Move The Mountain: I would lie if I say that I have not cried a bit with the song. It is a precious ballad. I like a lot what Jens try to say and here comes Jens again, the other side of Jens, that side similar to Winter Skies. I just can't believe how Jens has never composed more for Stratovarius. Well, I'm sure he did, but we know the rest. I just hope this man never stop making music, cause it is part of my life. The solo is amazing and different, that's innovation by Jens, it is different and shows the wide spectrum of ideas he have. How I love this song. The atmosphere is just oneiric.

Event Horizon: or how to release a modern song without losing your identity. Kind of frantic and speedy song with a lot of intrincate melodies and wonderful lyrics/vocals. Another song that all keyboards player should listen. The solo in the middle is just frantic, it is  :omg: :omg: . Man I don't know how the Jensokeyboard can exist today after playing that  :lol  .

Elysium: Matias, what have you done, man? I hope to see you and tell you congratulations. It is the first time that Stratovarius "plays" with a long song like this. Prog elements, speed, variations, changes, place for all the instruments to shine, TK singing with new kind of melodies and arrengements...
The whole song is A MASTERPIECE. Matias demonstrate that it is a monster while composing. He has composed a song that could have been a disaster cause it is a new part of Stratovarius discography. On the contrary, people loves the song cause is not boring at all. It is amazing and makes your feelings flow through the whole song. The solo at the end is tremendous. Man, you have been a perfect choice for this band, a perfect choice. Just be yourself, that's all, dude.

This is a wonderful album. How happy I am. I'm really happy with the work from all the members this time. They have done a great work together. The artwork is beautiful too.

I think this album is a classic with just two days from the release date.

Here you can hear the bonus from the vinyl. This album rules. I can't stop listening to it!!!!!!

Hallowed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9KgN41IJZk
Last Shore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFWRgq4Cq8&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: I saw the band yesterday in Madrid.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:53:16 PM by RazielSR »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »
Just listened to these songs. Both have a Dreamspace vibe, which is good 'cause I like Dreamspace much. However, they aren't as good as the songs on the album, so I see why they were left out.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2011, 06:46:10 AM »
Just listened to these songs. Both have a Dreamspace vibe, which is good 'cause I like Dreamspace much. However, they aren't as good as the songs on the album, so I see why they were left out.

True, those are good songs (I prefer Hallowed) but better as a bonus, those aren't that good for the album.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:37:48 AM by RazielSR »

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
Special offer in the US, Elysium downloads for $6.66!

https://www.loudtrax.com/Album.aspx?id=59116

The skiiiiiiesss are burrrrrrninnnnnnnng!

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:20 AM »
Did somebody noticed the absolutely amazing bass line work in the whole album?

Kosmo

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
I did, the bass is actually very loud.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »
Yeah, Lauri does great job! :tup I've also noticed that Jens used many new synth sounds on this album, which is a good thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2011, 03:39:17 AM »
Yeah, Lauri does great job! :tup I've also noticed that Jens used many new synth sounds on this album, which is a good thing.

That's cool but I hope he doesn't use too many different sounds, he always has had one of the best keyboard tones I've ever heard.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Kosmo

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2011, 04:02:59 AM »
All of them sounded pretty cool as far as i can remember. Some neo-classical on this album aswell.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2011, 04:47:05 AM »
Yes, it mix the old and the new elements. The album is plenty of fantastic keyboard sounds and a really loud bass, amazing guitar riffs and solos, TK singing in different ways, you can hear from Jörg the typical speed and more calmed and sudden rythms. This album is a fantastic instruments work.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2011, 06:38:44 AM »
Nr 1 in Finland! https://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen-lista/albumit/2011/3
Congrats to the guys! :tup Elysium is their first album since Infinite to top the Finnish charts! Polaris peaked at #2 here if I remember correctly.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »
Nr 1 in Finland! https://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen-lista/albumit/2011/3
Congrats to the guys! :tup Elysium is their first album since Infinite to top the Finnish charts! Polaris peaked at #2 here if I remember correctly.

No, Inifinite peaked #2. The last one that peaked #1 was Destiny. You can check it here: https://ylex.yle.fi/lista/artisti?id=75

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »
Actually Infinite did get a #1 spot in its first week, it's just mislabeled as "Infinity" on that site.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
Actually Infinite did get a #1 spot in its first week, it's just mislabeled as "Infinity" on that site.

Ok, thanks for checking.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2011, 04:28:40 AM »
Japan bonus track, Castaway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7rRleFcsXo

Seems that the bonus tracks are a bit weak for Elysium. But it's ok, at least we have more songs!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »
The harpsichord intro reminds me of Black Diamond. The song itself is quite good. When I read the tracklisting when it was posted on the Strato site, I was joking in my mind "they're gonna cover Amorphis on the Japanese edition?" :biggrin:

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2011, 06:49:55 AM »
The harpsichord intro reminds me of Black Diamond. The song itself is quite good. When I read the tracklisting when it was posted on the Strato site, I was joking in my mind "they're gonna cover Amorphis on the Japanese edition?" :biggrin:

Yes, the song is quite good. I didn't heart it well, cause I was at work. Sounds really good and the keys reminds Black Diamond, yes.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
Finally I got the chance to listen to Elysium this week, and I can't believe this is happening. Stratovarius has to be the first band that released their two best albums twenty five years after the foundation - Elysium is my favorite release by Stratovarius. There is no Timo Tolkki, but without him this is a whole different band - and, in my humble opinion, a better band.

Some of my favorites: Elysium (so beautiful), Event horizon, Infernal maze and Under flaming skies. 

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
Finally I got the chance to listen to Elysium this week, and I can't believe this is happening. Stratovarius has to be the first band that released their two best albums twenty five years after the foundation - Elysium is my favorite release by Stratovarius. There is no Timo Tolkki, but without him this is a whole different band - and, in my humble opinion, a better band.

Some of my favorites: Elysium (so beautiful), Event horizon, Infernal maze and Under flaming skies. 

Yes, Elysium is an absolutely incredible masterpiece. The final solo is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
Yeah, and how about that part from fifth to tenth minute? It's as close to musical perfection as it gets.  :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2011, 07:41:26 AM »
I still haven't gotten around to ordering this yet.  :(

Kosmo

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »
I still haven't gotten around to ordering this yet.  :(

DO IT

This is best Stratovarius since infinite.

Offline jsem

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
Just listened to the album. Title-track is ABSOLUTELY mind-blowing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »
Just a question, I am trying to figure out which version to order.  How necessary are the demos?  I'm not one to be too overly fond of demos and usually listen to them once and move on. 

I'm actually contemplating ordering the Japanese version with the Castaway bonus track.
What do you all think?

Kosmo

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:13 AM »
The demos have almost completely different lyrics so it makes them a tad more interesting but i haven't found myself listening to them all that much. The bonus tracks on this album are weaker in comparison to the normal songs IMO but Castaway is okay, i just went with the normal album.  :laugh:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2011, 03:20:14 AM »
It's quite funny how most of the complaints I've heard about Kotipelto's pronunciation have come from Finnish people! :lol

Kosmo

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2011, 03:33:39 AM »
I have no complaints because i pronounce stuff almost exactly the same.  :lol

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2011, 04:27:15 AM »
Just a question, I am trying to figure out which version to order.  How necessary are the demos?  I'm not one to be too overly fond of demos and usually listen to them once and move on.  

I'm actually contemplating ordering the Japanese version with the Castaway bonus track.
What do you all think?

For me the demo verions are an absolute waste of space-money  :D I've never been a fan of that. I want new complete songs, so for me the best option for you would be the Japanese version and then download Last Shore and Hallowed. Castaway is one of my favourites songs from the album now.

It's quite funny how most of the complaints I've heard about Kotipelto's pronunciation have come from Finnish people! :lol

:rollin That has been happening always in Stratovarius, mainly finnish people complain about that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
Just a question, I am trying to figure out which version to order.  How necessary are the demos?  I'm not one to be too overly fond of demos and usually listen to them once and move on.  

What do you all think?

For me the demo verions are an absolute waste of space-money  :D I've never been a fan of that. I want new complete songs, so for me the best option for you would be the Japanese version and then download Last Shore and Hallowed. Castaway is one of my favourites songs from the album now.

You have convinced me Raziel, thanks.  Also what region release of the album has these other two tracks?

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »

What do you all think?

You have convinced me Raziel, thanks.  Also what region release of the album has these other two tracks?

Normal Edtion
Release Date: 2011.01.12 (Finland) / 2011.01.14 (Rest of Europe)
Label: earMUSIC / Edel Germany GmbH
Catalogue Number: 0206215ERE
Bar-Code: 4029759062158
Packaging: Jewelcase
Notes: regular 9-track album cd.

Limited 2CD Deluxe Edition
Catalogue Number: 0206222ERE
Bar-Code: 4029759062226
Packaging: Digipack
Notes: regular 9-track album cd, plus a 9-track demo cd for the whole album.

Strictly Limited CD+7" Collector's Edition
Catalogue Number: 0206223ERE
Bar-Code: 4029759062233
Packaging: 7" Cardboard
Notes: regular 9-track album cd, plus 9 demo tracks of the whole album as mp3 files (I'm not sure!), and a 7" vinyl disc which contains 2 b-sides tracks, "Last Shore" and "Hallowed".

12" Vinyl
Catalogue Number: 0206221ERE
Bar-Code: 4029759062219
Packaging: 12" Cardboard
Notes: 6 tracks on side A and 3 tracks on side B.

Japan Edition
Release Date: 2011.01.12 (Japan)
Label: Victor Entertainment
Catalogue Number: VICP-64916
Bar-Code: 4988002605217
Packaging: Digipack
Notes: contains "Castaway" as exclusive bonus track, as well as 3 bonus tracks from Darkest Hours single, "Darkest Hours (Demo)", "Against The Wind (Live)" and "Black Diamond (Live)".

US Edition
Release Date: 2011.01.18 (USA & Canada)
Label: Armoury Records / Eagle Rock Entertainment
Catalogue Number: ARM 25053-2
Bar-Code: 826992505329
Packaging: Jewelcase
Notes: 9 tracks, same with normal edition.