Author Topic: The Beatles  (Read 6214 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Beatles
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
call me old.. but they are one of ther greatest bands of all time, they changed the face of rock music..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »
I'm currently reading a book called "The 100 Best Beatles Songs".  I know, with a title like that, it has a really high potential to be lame and cheesy, but it's actually very good.  They picked the 100, of course, but for every song, they give the reasons why it was chosen, analyze both the lyrics and music, provide session information (from the original studio logs where available), give relevant quotes from the band members, George Martin, etc., and there's a section for each simply titled "Why this song is so great".

They point out all kinds of things in the song that you may or may not have noticed before, but which make it great, and man, when you add it all up, you can see why people say that they were the greatest of all time, they changed rock music forever, and things like that.

"Eleanor Rigby" is three voices (Paul, John, George) and a double string quartet.  No guitars, basses, or drums.
"She's Leaving Home" has a freakin' harp!
"When I'm Sixty-Four" has two clarinets.
"Savoy Truffle" has six saxophones.  Four tenor and two baritone, heavily distorted.

Why? Because that's what those songs needed, that's why.

Structural things, like songs which begin a capella with the chorus rather than a verse.  People just didn't do that back then.

And of course all the studio wizardry.  Laying down 23 tracks on a four-track machine by laying down three at a time, mixing them down to the fourth, then laying down three more, and repeating as necessary.  Physically slowing down the tape because it turns out that the song sounds better in E-flat than E and it was too late to re-record it all.  The "Abbey Road Medley" with its dozen or so short songs which all segue together perfectly.

There were so many things that The Beatles were the first to do, musically, lyrically, and technically.  Things that we take for granted today.  But don't make the mistake that many do; just because these things are common today does not mean that The Beatles were "nothing special".  They were most definitely special.  Someone had to do each of these things first, and they were the first to do all of these things.

At one point, the Top 5 songs in the Billboard Hot 100 were all Beatles songs, there were 5 more elsewhere in the charts.  10 of the top 100 songs, all by the same band.  How many bands or artists today have even two songs on the charts at the same time?  And if they do, one is on the way up while the other is on the way down.  Sure, you can be popular and even score a Number 1 hit with no talent, but the Top 5, all five of them?  No way.  Their ability to craft pop songs is unrivalled.  There will never be another band that totally owned the music world the way The Beatles did.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »
Oh I definitely understand why people worship them, but I just don't seem to like them. I've never said they were "nothing special" its just they never appealed to me musically.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
I'm currently reading a book called "The 100 Best Beatles Songs".  

That's a fun book to read.  Lots of little tidbits hidden in there that I never knew before I read it.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty amazing.  Lots of great stuff in there.

Oh I definitely understand why people worship them, but I just don't seem to like them. I've never said they were "nothing special" its just they never appealed to me musically.

That's cool.  Your personal taste in music just doesn't go that way.

I was responding more to the people who listen to them and pronounce them "nothing special".  I don't remember exactly who it was, and won't call them out now.  I just felt like gushing about them some more.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
The first one.  Waykool stuff.

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »
For anybody looking for definitive Beatles reading material, you must read Mark Lewisohn. 

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beatles-Recording-Sessions-1962-1970/dp/0600612074/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287784635&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beatles-Chronicle-Day---Day/dp/1569765340/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287784635&sr=1-3

Mark does meticulous research.  If he writes it, you can basically count on it being the truth.  He's in the process of writing a three-volume history (no mere biography) on the band.  When it comes out, it will be the end-all-be-all.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
I like The Beatles, but I'm actually not a super-huge fan of the band, and don't read a lot of books about bands.  Yeah I know, hard to believe after that novella I just posted, but this is music discussion; I'll ramble like that about any subject.

The point is that this particular book is not huge, and was sitting on the discount shelf at Borders along with a dozen other Beatles books, and I took a look.  What struck me was the amount of detail they went into for this particular book, and by devoting only three or four pages to each song, they keep it from being overwhelming.  It's a small book, but packs a ton of interesting information in it relevant to the songs they've chosen, and along the way I've gained a greater appreciation for what The Beatles did.  You hear all the time about the amazing stuff they supposedly did; this book gives you the specifics and backs it up with the research.  It was like $7.99, a hell of a value.

Offline jsem

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »
Beatles = epicness. End of discussion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »

"Eleanor Rigby" is three voices (Paul, John, George) and a double string quartet.  No guitars, basses, or drums.

Funny story about that song: I remember seeing a guitar magazine in the store many years ago, and in the part of it where it has guitar and bass tabs for songs, I remember seeing the bass tab for "Eleanor Rigby" and I remember thinking, "Where in the hell is the bass guitar in that song?" :lol :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »
Yeah, for some reason I'm always partial to songs with non-standard instrumentation.  Just throwing in horns or a string section won't do it, because it's too common, but stuff like "Eleanor Rigby" amazes me.  Not just that a 20-something pop singer wrote it, but that he was in a band that had the balls to put it on a record and it scored a hit!