Author Topic: Within Temptation thread  (Read 81920 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Within Temptation thread
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
I wouldn't call it pop metal at all. I'm not sure, but I think its a concept record (I haven't looked up the lyrics yet). I am enjoying this one a LOT more than Hydra. Looking forward to the show next month.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:53 AM »
I like all their records (as in: they are consistently good) and I've listened to Resist a lot and I like it a lot too.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #457 on: February 11, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
I'm really enjoying this album as well and love The Reckoning, Mad World and Trophy Hunter.  A few others are really good as well.  I've had to just let go of the fact that they're not going to put out another album like The Silent Force or The Heart of Everything. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: February 11, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »
Don't have this album yet but have Spotify'd some of it. WT isn't a favorite banf of mine but like Max, I like all their albums and do appreciate their consistency. I thought Hydra was a huge drop off after The Unforgiving (my favorite) and I haven't had huge hopes this album will buck that trend.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #459 on: February 11, 2019, 02:23:58 PM »
I just lost interest in their music after The unforgiving, I really love the run of albums Enter-The heart of everything and Mother Earth is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I don't like this new album at all, and neither the last one.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: March 02, 2019, 03:34:22 PM »
I finally this past week got the album and started listening.  My expectations were very low.  I didn't love the singles and I hadn't read many positive reviews of the album, however, it's better than my low expectations.  There's some good music here, but overall the album is fairly bland.  I do really like Mad World and Endless War.  The Reckoning has clicked for me as well, although Supernova really hasn't. 

Anyway, tonight they are playing NYC with In Flames.  Should be a fun one.  The setlist looks fairly average but they are not a band that comes to the US that often and I had a blast when they last came around (5 years ago).  It could sell out at the door as well, they've been saying there are very little tickets left.  Would be cool to see a sold out show here.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: March 11, 2019, 09:24:53 PM »
... it's better than my low expectations.  There's some good music here, but overall the album is fairly bland.

Agree. Better than Hydra, but not a ton. Excited to see them in Seattle on Saturday (though not looking forward to the other acts). Cool, in a paradoxical way, that they are playing a ton of the new album. While I appreciate a band who tours on a new album and doesn't play 2-3 songs from that album in favor of reling on old standards, I kinda wish they played more older songs in this case.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #462 on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
How are the crowds looking nowadays?  Are they ones of the pushing, moshing, crowdsurfing kind (especially for In Flames since their music sorta calls for it) or they of the stand and be in awe and do whatever Sharon asks of?  After the intense crowd I was in for the Nothing More show, I need something a bit more laid back (although, I probably would get a more laid back crowd, but very appreciative, two days later at the DT show since it's all seats in the floor).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:59:33 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2019, 10:25:40 PM »
...stand and be in awe and do whatever Sharon asks of? 

Sounds like a dream concert to me.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: March 12, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »
How are the crowds looking nowadays?  Are they ones of the pushing, moshing, crowdsurfing kind (especially for In Flames since their music sorta calls for it) or they of the stand and be in awe and do whatever Sharon asks of?  After the intense crowd I was in for the Nothing More show, I need something a bit more laid back (although, I probably would get a more laid back crowd, but very appreciative, two days later at the DT show since it's all seats in the floor).

Have a look yourself Within Temptation, In Flames, & Smash Into Pieces Live @ Playstation Theater NYC

I guess I never wrote a review for that one since I had to go to Amsterdam after this so this concert kind of felt like a blur, but I had a total blast.  It was interesting having In Flames and WT, seems their music and their crowds don't really mix.  However, it wasn't really much of an issue.  I ended up meeting and chilling with a bunch of foreigners for most of the night, every single one of them there for In Flames but it did seem most of the crowd was for WT.  You could tell the difference, the groups of dudes vs the couples.  I'd say In Flames sounded fine, but aren't my music.  I just watched, there wasn't a crazy pit or anything for them.  I'd say the crowd was much more tame for them than WT.  There was a small pit although not a crazy one for WT, it didn't start until the first old song they played though.  They open with a few new ones and then the crowd opened up a bit and got more into the show.  I stood behind two tall dudes who blocked the pit from me while I videoed, you cna see the crowd pretty well in my video to get an idea.  The show was almost sold out apparently, and that place it good size, about 2k because they had the seats open too.  Also, Smash into Pieces is... interesting.  No one seemed to like them  :lol I remember seeing the singer, Adam, before as the temp singer for Amaranthe.

As for the album, it's grown on me a bit.  Mad World is probably my favorite song, it's so catchy.  Also seeing Supernova live made it click, it's got an interesting pace and feel to it, came off well live. 

The group of random dudes that all met up and pretty much hung out the entire show with:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: March 12, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Thanks for the post Cram. Do you recall what time WT went on in relation to when the show was scheduled to start?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: March 12, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the post Cram. Do you recall what time WT went on in relation to when the show was scheduled to start?

Doors: 6pm
Smash Into Pieces: 7pm
In Flames: 7:50pm
Within Temptation: 9:20pm

They tweeted that for the first show and it held true for the NYC show

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: March 12, 2019, 10:00:45 AM »
Cram,

Seeing them next week. THanks for the review. How long is WT's set? Did it go to 11 p.m.?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: March 12, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
Cram,

Seeing them next week. THanks for the review. How long is WT's set? Did it go to 11 p.m.?

I hardly remember, but probably till like 10:50

also should add that I saw them on their last tour 5 years ago and thought this was a much better show and performance

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: March 12, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
Cram,

I hardly remember, but probably till like 10:50

also should add that I saw them on their last tour 5 years ago and thought this was a much better show and performance

Thanks. WT is one of my daughter's favorites, so we are making an effort to take her on a school night. Probably going to keep her home the next day given the time and drive home. Appreciate the info.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2019, 11:05:32 PM »
So some late-minute thoughts about Resist after finally finishing listening to their entire catalog.  I do like it and I don't mind the more "pop" elements to it.  Even if I could potentially like it, I did find having guest vocals (and this goes the same Hydra as well even I do like the songs that involves guest vocalists) a bit too much.  You could run into the issue that the song's style would be more towards their respective bands than how people identify a Within Temptation song.  For The Reckoning, those lyrics wouldn't be out of place from a Papa Roach song (and I admit liking those guys and, like Disturbed, those guys don't get enough credit for creating some solid songs, even if some songs in their catalog aren't as solid.  There's more to them than Last Resort).

Anyway, favorites from the album so far: The Reckoning, Supernova, In Vain, Mercy Mirror, and Trophy Hunter

Still, the standard for me when it comes to Within Temptation is The Heart of Everything and The Unforgiving.  Bring on the concert, next Tuesday.  I probably won't make too much of an effort trying to be in the first 5-10 rows like I did with Nothing More, but as long as I have a good view and avoid the areas where there may be pits or pushing, I should have a great time.

Next stop in the album listening catalog in full, DT, since their LA show is two days after the Within Temptation/In Flames show.

Edit: Nice video, Cramx, btw.

Edit x2: On another note, I started listening to Smash into Pieces.  Yeah, Cramx, I can see what you mean where no one in the crowd is going to like them.  These guys sound like they would be mainstays on Sirius XM Octane and would be on a bill with Breaking Benjamin, Shinedown, Nickelback, etc.  So having a band that fits an Active Rock mold would not go well with a crowd that leans towards more heavier stuff that In Flames and Within Temptation can bring.  That stated, for a guy that loves that sort of modern radio-friendly hard rock, at times, and Sirius XM Octane, I found these guys to be a lot easier to get into blind than In Flames.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:18:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: March 17, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
Random thoughts on last night's show:

Show seemed to start flat out of the gate. I don't think the Resist songs Raise Your Banner/The Reckoning/Endless War were great openers. Sharon seemed a little... uninspired? Maybe it was waving that dumb banner.

Then they played In the Middle of the Night. And I thought: Damn, Unforgiving is an awesome album. Sharon turned it up a notch.

Then Stand My Ground hits. Band is in high gear now.

Trio of songs from Heart of Everything: All I Need/The Heart of Everything/The Cross. I think damn that is an awesome album. Band is killing it.

A solid collection of old and new songs to round out the show.

Summary: Skipped opening acts. WT brought an A setlist with their A game and delivered a top notch performance. The video screens were great, best stage setup I've seen at that venue. The Resist songs sounded good live, though I am still lukewarm on the album. Great picks from past albums. Show felt short in terms of time but not in terms of value and performance (Yes I know I skipped first two acts). Saw a discussion about show lengths in the Queensryche thread and thought about that during the show. 

Keyboardist looks like Mr. Ass Billy Gunn.

When I saw Floor Jansen perform I thought "That's the most beautiful lead singer I've ever seen." Then I saw Charlotte Wessels perform and I thought "That's the most beautiful lead singer I've ever seen." Last night I saw Sharon and thought "That's the most beautiful lead singer I've ever seen."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: March 20, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
San Fran show was great. My second time seeing WT. The first time was opening up at a tiny club called Slim's (also in SF) for Lacuna Coil in 2007. WT back then was on The Heart of Everything tour.

Anyway, the setlist is what it has been. I really enjoyed the show. Our seats were front row of the loge, but way on the side, so we couldn't see the drummer or the video screen. That sucked, but we got a clear sight line to the stage, which was fine for us. Really good performance. I thought the banner thing was fine. My daughter loved it. The most recent album -- I really like it (in fact, picked up the vinyl at the show), but I haven't delved into the lyrics yet. If it is a concept album, that sort of thing makes sense. But I thought the show was a lot of fun. One of the guitar players was sick, and apparently had been. Sharon cracked  a joke how he was too sick to do an acoustic version of something (I forget the tune) the show before ours, and was fine now, to which the guitar player shook his head "NO." hahahaha. Sharon got a laugh, as did the crowd.

90 minute set, mostly the new album and Heart of Everything, with a song or two from the rest of the catalog records thrown in. I don't think I'll personally need to see WT again, but I really enjoyed it, as did the family.

As for the openers, that first band, Smash into Pieces -- that's what I wanted to do. They piped in everything. The drummer missed stuff, and yet, there were snare hits.  ::) The singer sang along to a backing track of LEAD vocals, and he literally just mouthed the words at some point. It was stupid. The whole band was pointless, and didn't fit AT ALL. It was WT throwing a bone to another Swedish band. Speaking of which, In Flames was good...if you like those kind of vocals. I don't. The music was spot on, and it was cool seeing Chris Broderick. The guy is a machine. Stiff, but still a great player. Musically, love In Flames. But as soon as the singer...err...growler opens his mouth, its just pointless for me. But for what its worth, people loved them.

Anyway, WT was worth the money and effort. I rarely buy t-shirts these days, but I picked up shirts for all of us (three) and like I said, I picked up the vinyl of the new album. Good stuff.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: March 20, 2019, 10:15:45 AM »
At the Seattle show Ruud played guitar for the acoustic Ice Queen which apparently Stefan(?) usually does, but didn't as he wasn't feeling well, though you wouldn't have known by his performance.

Funny about Smash into Pieces. I skipped both them an In Flames as I had zero interest in either. I saw a ton of people in In Flames shirts, at least as many as I in WT shirts.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: March 20, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
Yea, I wasn't into Smash Into Pieces.  At one point the singer was like "yell if you like Smash Into Pieces" and there wasn't much reaction  :lol  When In Flames came on the singer said something along the lines of "enough of that light stuff"

Honestly thought they might have had one song that was interesting, their music videos have a lot of views with that drummer and his mask.  I don't know, maybe its more popular in Europe but wasnt my thing.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #475 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »
I liked what I heard from Smash Into Pieces. Then again, I'm one that like that sort of mainstream active rock radio sound if it can be compelling enough.  That stated, I was convinced from what I heard in their live set and their lead vocals that either he was singing along to a backing track or was miming.  Pretty much similar to any accusations of Brent Smith of Shinedown of miming of having backing tracks that makes it hard to distinguish if he was actually singing live or not.  Honestly, and I stated this before, I felt that Smash Into Pieces would not be out of place as an opening act to a Shinedown, Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin kind of band.  Seeing them paired with In Flames and Within Temptation was a bit of an odd pairing though.  The LA crowd, yesterday, liked them a decent amount though.  I think there was a soccer mom at a VIP table going crazy for them.  I had a great night all around.  More details in a much more longer and detailed post.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:56:38 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: March 20, 2019, 11:17:03 AM »
Well, I think WT and IF is an odd pairing to begin with.  The tour looks like a success overall but the whole bill seemed very disjointed in terms of music style with the only thing in common being hard rock from europe and maybe that was what they were going for.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #477 on: March 23, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »
I had such a great time of the Within Temptation show, last Tuesday, that I am going to write a long trip report story of my thoughts on it. This will be a long post as a forewarning.

So, I was at the Within Temptation show in Los Angeles on Tuesday. I don’t think I went in with too much high expectations, given that I do not listen to Within Temptation (and especially In Flames) on the regular.  The show was also on a weekday and that I had work and managed to get two hours off so that I can get to the venue and get parking and hope to dodge that nasty LA traffic on the 10. For some reason, Google Maps had me drive for like 6-7 miles of streets before hitting the 5 to the 10. Must be better traffic than going two miles of streets and then go to the 405 N to the 110 to the 10. It still took me 75 minutes to get to the Wiltern Theater.  Got to the parking lot next to the Wiltern Theater at around 4:50 (doors open at 6:00 AM). Paid $25.00 for a spot. A bit steeper than I would like to pay. The last time I was at the Wiltern in 2014 seeing Alter Bridge, I think my sister paid $20.00 for the spot in the same building. Got to love inflation like that. Going from paying $20 in 2014 to paying $25 in 2019 doesn’t seem like the most gasping of raising prices.

Finally got in line and it was a bit confusing at first which line to be in as I think there were three lines. One for the In Flames VIP Meet and Greet. One for the front of the line passes and one for the regular GA. As per usual, I like to check out what sort of people is going to this show and it's a nice mixture of people that I always love to see at rock shows. You got the older dudes sporting the classic rock shirts, you got the couples all decked out in black, you got families, and plenty of people of all ages wearing shirts from all kinds of bands (of noted, I think I saw people wear A7X shirts, Ghost, Breaking Benjamin, Epica, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Tarja, Halestorm, Rammstein, Slayer, Metallica, etc.). As usual, I was repping the good old AB, Alter Bridge. Of course, there was plenty of people here sporting Within Temptation shirts and there was a surprising amount of people wearing In Flames shirts (I think a good portion of the crowd was there mainly for In Flames).

About 10 minutes before the show begins, people from the venue was offering green wristbands for free that allows you to get to the pit in the very front of the stage and it's the only way you can access that area and, of course, I want to take that if a spot in the pit appeals to me.  6:00 PM finally hit and after security check, and after needing a restroom break, I dashed to the floor and I landed a good spot on the rails of the 2nd section of the floor. I could have easily been in the middle of the pit near the stage, but after being in that spot for the Nothing More show, last month, and how intense the crowd was, I opted to stay where I am at. I say this is a pretty great view honestly for the $50.00 I paid the ticket for based on this picture below (I was positioned a few feet slightly before where my camera angle was at).  I wasn't going to be leaving that spot at all, not by a long shot.  Wasn't going to lose that spot due to any mosh pits nor would I have any tall people block my view.  The security lady next to me made sure that no one was getting to the front without that green wristband and there was a lot of people that got denied that area throughout the night. Gotta give a shoutout to that person to ensure that we are going to have a fair and secure night.  Plus, she was giving me and a couple of people next to me some info on the expected start times of the set.  Plus, she informed us that there would be some camera people that would take some shots (behind the rail at the bottom of that picture I took) at some point in the beginning of the sets, but they wouldn't be there the entire show.  Don't know why she gave us this info, but we greatly appreciated it.

Also, I got to say, when I was in the Wiltern Theater back in 2014 for Alter Bridge, I must say that the interior is so nicely designed, but since I had mezzanine seats, I couldn't really speak on how it was in the GA area.  Well, since I was now in the GA areas, there were some VIP tables if you wanted to seat and order some drinks and all, but you got to pay and people were willing to pay.  Beautiful venue and even Sharon, during their set, acknowledged how nice this venue is and how this is a good venue to end the tour on and Within Temptation, I'm sure, has played in nice arenas and very lovely music halls in Europe.  Regardless of how genuine that comment was, it's a nice feeling when a European band can say that in about one of the venues in Los Angeles, even if that city has a reputation of being "shady-looking" at times.  Speaking of European bands, I just realized the week of that this is actually the first concert I've been to that features primarily European bands.  All of the bands I've seen in my concert-going in the last 6 years are mainly American or Canadian.

Anywho, thanks to the security woman, we were informed that the first band actually started on 6:55 instead of 7:00 and it was Smash into Pieces.  They were an ok band.  They had a drummer with an interesting mask on and had a screen with some nice visuals and all.  They primarily played songs that sounded like they belong on Active Rock/Sirius XM Octane radio and would be a great fit for an American modern band (which I already listed examples a few posts ago in this thread).  If I had to compare them to any other band, I would compare them to this band, Starset, but Starset does the gimmick with the spacey visuals and the masks and the songs better. 

Smash Into Pieces' frontman was an odd bunch though.  I feel like his pitch at times felt unnatural (like he was either singing to a backing track or was miming, similar to any accusations of Brent Smith of Shinedown of miming or having backing tracks that makes it hard to distinguish if he was actually singing live or not.)  Also, his banter was a bit odd and he stated that he liked bananas and I think he chucked a banana to the crowd.  Also, he attempted to crowdsurf, but that only lasted 5 seconds as the pit was really not in the mood for that.  I compared that to when I saw Hyro the Hero opening for Nothing More in February and that Hyro stage dived and crowdsurf and that lasted for about 30 seconds and I was in the middle of it saying, "Oh boy, I got to get to another area, since this crowd is pretty rabid in a good way right now."  Afterwards, when the song ended, and Hyro was back on stage, he was like, "Man, that was a good exercise there," whilst when Smash Into Pieces' frontman did it and failed at it, he shrugged and had a "Oh well" feeling to it.

Overall, I think Smash Into Pieces was ok.  I mean they weren't really a big dealbreaker to anyone in deciding whether or not they want to go to this show, but people liked them enough, and I think they got some new fans at the end.  I know there was what looked to be a soccer mom in the VIP table was really into them, so I guess it was mission accomplished for them.

Second band was In Flames and they come out with their heavy sound and harsh vocals and, as stated, before there was a lot of people that was there primarily for them and I don't think In Flames disappointed at all.  They brought in a lot of intensity that people was expecting.  People were headbanging and there was a mosh pit going in the pit in the front.  I enjoyed the solos that their lead guitarist was doing and how he was looking doing them.  This was stated before in a previous post, but they mentioned that they had a special treat for this tour when one of their guitarist couldn't make it due to medical issues and they brought in Chris Broderick (former Megadeth guitarist).  I thought that's a cool for those both into In Flames and Megadeth, but it didn't do much for me in terms of hype nor did it deter it.

Anyway, Anders was a solid frontman and he was doing all he can to get people from being into it to really being into it.  He brought in a solid amount of banter in between songs.  He acknowledged this one dude from the second floor of the lodge area and Anders was like "I can't hear what you are saying, but you got a really nice shirt on."  When he got to talking about their new album (and people reacted loudly about it), he kept repeating "we got a new album out" for like three or four times just to see if the crowd reaction can be louder, but sadly, around the 4th time, people were not as enthusiastic about it.  Anyway, he made a pretty snarky statement where he says "if you introduce this album to your friends and they don't like it, they can blame it on you, not on us."  I mean someone may find it in disheartening spirit, and I had a good laugh about it.  Sadly, I only really knew like the two songs that In Flames played in their set and they were the two songs that Octane was playing (This Is Our House and I Am Above) in readiness of the new album, I The Mask.  Maybe, it is something I can get into them a little more, but after listening to their discography and found it a huge blur for the most part, maybe not.

Anders also fistbumped a crowdsurfer (and that dude did a better job of it than the Smash Into Pieces guy) when he made it pass the barriers and I liked that when a frontman does something like that.  You acknowledged something positive in the crowd for like a few moments, but you can go ahead and really make that person's night.  Something like also happened at the Disturbed show I was at in January, where David Draiman saw a disabled dude behind the barriers and Draiman was like "if this dude made it to the front in the condition he is at, he belongs on my stage, get him to the side of the stage, part the sea people and let him through."  It took about five minutes to get that guy there, but it was a cool feeling to see the arena chant his name.  It is something I do want to see bands do more of, big or small.  Just acknowledge something awesome in the crowd and really make their day and a good way to interact with the crowd.

Overall, In Flames was really good and sadly, some people left after their set was done.  Too bad, they missed on a great set from Within Temptation.  They started at 9:20 and started off with The Reckoning, instead of their main opener for this tour, Raise Your Banner, which is fine since I always feel like if you want to go ahead and start a show in support of a new album, you start with the first single of the album.  The band was really on point.  They were hitting their spots really well and they had some nice tall screens with solid visuals.  After, I believe Endless War, Sharon had a small crown of roses and wore them for a brief moment and said "take this picture and upload it on Instagram while you can." and stated how she wouldn't mind wearing it for the whole show, but it would a lot hard to move around with it on, so she just place the crown over the mic stand.  Anywho, after they played two songs from Resist, they went on to play two songs from what I think are live staples, In the Middle of the Night and Stand My Ground.  Everyone in the crowd was really into them.  One of the things I wondered was if this was going to be a crowd that is of the stand and be in awe and do whatever Sharon asks of and I think that was the case at points.  When she asks for the crowd to fistpump, hands in the air, or do a call-and-response like in Covered by Roses, they did it.  It varies if it is with gusto or not.  Still, it was really nice to see men, women, children, couples, older dudes, single guys like me, etc. to have a fun time of a concert and singing along and reacting well to everything the band was doing without being inadvertently obnoxious.  If only all concerts was like this and there would be no issues at all.

The setlist was really good and what I was really hoping for.  Five songs from the new album, Resist.  The Reckoning, Endless War, In Vain, Supernova, and Raise Your Banner.  I really enjoyed their performance of In Vain and after the show was done, and I have gone back and listening to it more and I've been enjoying it more and I already pegged that as an initial favorite.  They also played four songs from The Heart Of Everything.  Three of them are staples (The Cross, What Have You Done Now, and the title track) and nothing wrong with playing some stuff from one of, what most people feels, their best albums.  Only two songs from The Unforgiving (another great album of theirs), Faster and In the Middle of the Night and since those are staples, they got a good reaction.  They also played, as mentioned before, an acoustic version of Ice Queen, and they stated that since they play a song so many times, they feel like they need to change the approach of it a bit so that they do not get bored with it and it was a very lovely performance as the end result.

However, I think the second best song reaction of the night from the crowd was Paradise (What About Us), not surprised.  It was the lead single of Hydra and it was a song that they collaborated with Tarja and it really was the definition of a dream team pairing of their genre coming together.  Also, I think a great example of a great vocalist would be the following.  Bands can have someone have guest vocalists on their songs and feel they need to pipe in these guest vocalists when played live to not lose the integrity of the vocals.  Sharon does a great job singing Paradise (What About Us) and The Reckoning that you do not need Tarja's vocals or Jacoby Shaddix (I guess you can question of how great a vocalist Jacoby is, but his voice has that certain distinction that cannot be not-recognizable for those that listen to mainstream rock like me) piped into it.  That stated, Within Temptation still kept Keith Caputo for What Have You Done Now and, naturally, it got the best reaction of the night.  It's just an easy reaction when you play a song like that and have the crowd shout "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW" and thus ends the main set.

The encore begins and out comes Anders Friden from In Flames and they played Raise Your Banner, complete with Sharon waving that flag around.  I think this might have been the only time they brought Anders out for this song during this entire tour, since they've been playing Raise Your Banner as the opener which would make it an awkward spot to have him out there at the start of the show.  Having this song placed at the beginning of the encore would be perfect, regardless of how much people liked the song.  You got In Flames with you on this tour and you got their singer on this track.  Bring him out during the encore to play it, easy reaction.  They then closed off with Mother Earth and the call-and-response with the "Ohohohoooooh" was good and thus ends one of the best concerts I've been to.

For the longest time, I had three concerts where I deemed it the perfect concert where nothing absolute went wrong to ruin my enjoyment of it, even so slightly.  Seeing Halestorm at the House of Blues in 2017, seeing Breaking Benjamin three days later at the same place, and seeing Myles Kennedy at the Troubadour, last year.  Those three concerts and I went in, and those guys killed it, played the right songs at the right time, and had a great crowd reaction throughout the show and I had one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in life and I just keep rethinking back at those events and I think, "this is perfection.  Nothing went wrong at all in the show to ruin my enjoyment."  I always go into a concert hoping to have that feeling again, and there's always something I think went wrong to deem it perfect (the sound mix was really bad, the crowds too rowdy and pushy, I was too sick to enjoy it, Myles' voice sounds like helium in between songs, the instrumental breakdowns are too long for their own good, the band doesn't look too engaging enough to the crowd, the setting up time in between sets is way too long of a wait, there's too many tall people blocking my view, there's too many people trying to force their way to the front, that one dude was standing on his chair for 30 minutes and is barely reacting to anything and yes, I am really really upset at the bolded during the DT show that I keep bringing it up every time I think about it.)

When I keep thinking back at that Within Temptation concert, I think that was really a perfect show for me.  They played the right material of the right time.  They played a fair amount of their new album and the songs come off well live.  I had a tremendous view the entire time.  The crowd was good and appreciative.  No one was being obnoxious (aside from those people trying to get to the pit without the green wristband, but that security lady was on top of it the entire time).  I'm in one of my favorite venues (The Wiltern Theater and The House of Blues are always going to be my favorite places to be in for concerts in Southern California).  It was a great night.  Sure, I probably would have liked more than 80-85 minutes from Within Temptation (and then they could fit more stuff from The Unforgiving and more stuff from pre-The Heart Of Everything) and they could have not have Smash Into Pieces on the bill and split the 35 minutes and add it to In Flames and Within Temptation, but I could say that for any band.  As a standalone set, Within Temptation was really really good and is right now, the frontrunner of my concert of the year, so far (lots of shows to go through to change my mind, but this is a tough show to beat).

Anyway, I appreciate you guys here if you read it all the way to this point, if not, I appreciate you guys for letting me post this really long post.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:37:26 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: March 23, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »
Great post. Due to time constraints and lack of interest in the two opening bands, I skimmed that part. You summed up how I felt about the show well. I knew the set list going in, and while I was slightly disappointed that their time was shorter than I would have liked, at the end of the show it felt like a solid performance (and keep in mind I skipped the first two bands, so only got 1:20 of concert time total). So while short, and while I would have loved another hour of WT, I didn't feel cheated or that I didn't get my $$ worth.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: May 26, 2020, 10:49:37 AM »
New single/video for song "Entertain You": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-8hK2f_So

I don't love it, but I don't hate it, pretty solid actually.  Seems like solid modern WT

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
The new songs just seem so soulless. They're not bad at all, they just seem so easily manufactured. I don't hear a strong artistic voice, I just hear people who expertly know how to craft a catchy fun product. So I don't hate it, but I can't connect to it at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: May 26, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
The new songs just seem so soulless. They're not bad at all, they just seem so easily manufactured. I don't hear a strong artistic voice, I just hear people who expertly know how to craft a catchy fun product. So I don't hate it, but I can't connect to it at all.

Yup, it's really not a bad song but comes across exactly as you stated which makes it really hard for me to love it in any way.  Kind of just feels like their last two albums in some ways.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #482 on: May 26, 2020, 11:36:48 AM »

I have largely felt this way about their music as a whole after The Unforgiving.  And there is certainly an argument that they were far down that road with either that album or its predecessor (although the songs are so strong on both of those that I really don't care). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 26, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »
It does seem like after The Unforgiving (my favorite) there was a fundamental shift in their style.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #484 on: June 06, 2020, 12:22:03 AM »
Yeah..., so I took a listen to Entertain You on a whim, and it sounds like a generic radio track that you would hear on Octane and not of the enjoyable kind.  Sounds like something from Bad Wolves (which I like, but that style of music doesn't fit well with Within Temptation, in my opinion).

On a side note, Sharon contributed some vocals for this band, Saint Asonia (which has former Three Days Grace singer, Adam Gontier, and the guitarist from Staind, Mike Mushok) on a song called Sirens.  Now that's the kind of generic radio rock I like rather than what's out there nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoNI7d2lVj4

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: June 06, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »
It does seem like after The Unforgiving (my favorite) there was a fundamental shift in their style.

Yep - even on that album you could hear where they might be going with stuff like Sinead.  But boy..............since that album (which I thought was great but the production let it down) it's almost unlistenable for me as the songs can't save me from the production.  I'm pretty much done with them as far as checking out new music.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #486 on: June 06, 2020, 07:28:03 AM »

Yep - even on that album you could hear where they might be going with stuff like Sinead.  But boy..............since that album (which I thought was great but the production let it down) it's almost unlistenable for me as the songs can't save me from the production.  I'm pretty much done with them as far as checking out new music.

I enjoyed Hydra.

I don't like the pop direction they have suddenly took.  It was bound to happen due to them doing all those pop covers.

Although, Skyfall is pretty much a Within Temptation song. Jane Doe.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #487 on: June 06, 2020, 09:54:34 AM »

For me, my favorite was "Mother Earth" (one of my favorite albums ever). I was not a big fan of the shift in their style afterwards, although I enjoyed "The Silent Force". 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: June 06, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
My favourite is Enter, but I enjoyed the next two as well. To be honest, I never even gave The Unforgiving and Hydra a chance.

I have no idea what their output is after those two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #489 on: June 06, 2020, 09:59:32 AM »
My favourite is Enter, but I enjoyed the next two as well. To be honest, I never even gave The Unforgiving and Hydra a chance.

I have no idea what their output is after those two.

Since Hydra, they seem really big on guest vocalists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com