Author Topic: Within Temptation thread  (Read 81949 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Within Temptation thread v. new vid
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
Do get Silent Force. It blew me away, not only the 'well known songs' but also the deep album cuts. Soundwise, it's fantastic.

Too bad they let that classic WT style go after Heart of Everything.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:09 AM »
Here is all proshot concert footage of paaspop schijndel btw, a recent festival (I think it was broadcasted live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjB3ZMozvrM Stand My Ground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFljPlNDbds The Heart of Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvps99pDnQ Mother Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZhukc1aJZY Sinead (acoustic)

Thanks for sharing, these are really good

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:53 AM »
Black Symphony is amazing, the only flaw is Sharons voice not being at its best, she caught a cold.

I found the 2dvd/2cd on discogs.com, but the shipping was a lot, if you don't mind then try there. I just wanted the physical full show cds, as they contain the songs I enjoy the most off of the show. The Truth Beneath The Rose, All I Need, The Other Half, Ice Queen, Deceiver of Fools, The Heart of Everything, The Promise.  Damn, that's a lot of good songs.

I also share the same feelings as Bosk. But, I can understand their situation with Sharon and Robert having 3 kids. That doesn't excuse them not releasing those awesome things here in the US. I'm still waiting for them to release their cover of Skyfall, which is a shame as that perfectly suits them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
Im only assuming, but I guess they didn't think they had much of a US fanbase?  I think after Hydra they have seemed to noticed us Americans do like them!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »
I forget now who it was (and too lazy to try to find it) that recommended the Elements live set, but thank you for doing it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2015, 01:16:04 PM »
I forget now who it was (and too lazy to try to find it) that recommended the Elements live set, but thank you for doing it.

Might of been me, since I know I talked about how awesome that blu ray is with both concerts.  If so, you're welcome, love sharing good tunes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
I was pretty bummed/mad that I did not get to see them on the Unforgiving tour, and I did not realize that that set included a show from that tour.  The Hydra show isn't bad, but I LOVE the Elements show.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Yea the Elements show is up there with Black Symphony as far as I am concerned.  Just depends on whether you like The Unforgiven or The Heart of Everything better really since there isn't a huge difference in the rest of the track list, but they went all out with the stage show and orchestra/choir again.  The Hydra concert is good, but I think most agree that Hydra is not as good of an album as the rest and therefor that setlist isn't as good (and once again the other songs are all fairly similar in the sets).  I do like how the Hydra concert was filmed in the Heineken Music Hall though, cause that is right next to my companys data center that I travel to for work, in fact I am heading there in less than 2 weeks.  Nightwish will be playing there in the fall, it would be awesome if I could line up a work trip with that concert (or really any WT concert too).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
The only thing I do not like about the Elements stage show is that it is too dark a lot of the time.  Black Symphony feels too well-lit for a metal show, although I get that that was probably done at least in part so they symphony and choir would all be visible.  But Elements goes too far the other direction.  And the dancers are kinda lame and, IMO, take away from the set when they are on.  But otherwise, I would probably give Elements the edge over Black Symphony.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
If I were going to rate the three concerts I would have to put Elements first in terms of the setlist and
Black Symphony in terms of the lighting.  Hydra Live was just another concert that they happened to film, and it was basically the same show I saw at the Worcester Palladium in October, with a few minor revisions.  I think Sharon sounded the best in Elements, with Hydra Live second and Black Symphony third.  She also looked the best in Elements, surprisingly since it was four years removed from Black Symphony (that poodle perm did nothing for me).  Maybe it was because her various outfits were the most risqué, (especially that birdcage skirt she was wearing for the first few songs) but I don't think she's looked that tremendous since the Stand My Ground and Angels videos a decade ago. 

A minor gripe about Hydra Live:  too many of the songs required videos and prerecorded vocal tracks due to all of Hydra's collaborations (Tarja, Howard Jones, Xzibit) and the older Caputo track "What Have You Done."  I realize that those collaborations are what sold Hydra, and that people probably don't mind sitting through the videos and prerecorded tracks once, but who wants to hear prerecorded vocals and watch a video screen when you plunk down money to see a band.  At least Caputo and Anneke van Giersbergen were actually at Black Symphony.  Maybe some of those songs should be put on ice for the next few tours unless they have some of those other performers with them or bring substitute touring vocalists on the road with them. Kamelot, for instance, plays "The Haunting" just about every tour, regardless of whether they have Simone Simons, Elize Ryd, Alissa White-Gluz, Marcela Bovio, Floor Jansen, or the blonde that is touring with them now.  The Dutch R&B singer, Wudstik, for instance did as good a job with "The Whole World Is Watching" (not the best song in the world, granted) as either Dave Pirner or Piotr Rogucki did, and I'm sure that they could find an unknown soprano who works cheap that could sing Tarja's part of "Paradise."  I would just hate to see a band I like become too gimmicky and rely too much on production values.  Those Duets albums are for geriatrics like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Elton John, or for second generation singers to perform with their dead fathers, like Nat King and Natalie Cole, Hank Williams Jr. and Sr., and Elvis and Lisa Marie Presley. Not for a band like WT, who should have a good decade of relevance left in their careers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: June 05, 2015, 05:18:37 AM »
I'll agree about the guest singers.  When I saw them live last fall I found it odd they played so many songs that used guest vocals and yet had no guests, just pre-recorded vocals with a video of that guest singing it.  I get it those were mostly all new songs and they were supporting the new album so that's really the only option unless they bring someone along on tour.  If they continue to do that in future tours, I don't think I'd like it, but for that one time I was fine with it.  In fact, most of those new sings I did not previously like, but enjoyed a lot more after seeing them live.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #361 on: June 05, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
They wont even do a proper US tour and you want them to hire guest singers?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
They wont even do a proper US tour and you want them to hire guest singers?

Zook wins.  Fatality.  :iceicebaby:

Offline mrrct

« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:31 AM »
Not dead yet, Bosk1.

Twelve dates not enough for you?  Would you like them to tour nonstop for three years straight like Metallica did in the early nineties and never be any good again?

Besides, I wasn't just referring to American tour dates, but anytime they release a concert on DVD/Blu Ray.

P.S.: I liked your old avatar better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #364 on: June 05, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
Twelve dates not enough for you?  Would you like them to tour nonstop for three years straight like Metallica did in the early nineties and never be any good again?

Irrelevant.  12 dates over 3 album's worth of tours vs. tour for 3 years straight are not the only two options available (not to mention the fact that touring for a long time does not magically make a band stop being good).  How about they just play a modest amount of major U.S. cities?

Oh, and I like my avatar.  Deal with it.

Oh, wait...wrong thread.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #365 on: June 05, 2015, 12:08:15 PM »
bosk1, I don't like this band.

Deal with it.

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: July 30, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15dG7hCqzWg

Live streaming their show from the Polish Woodstock NOW

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
So they did a couple special "Black Christmas" shows the past couple nights.  Setlists are pretty cool with a bunch of covers, here is thier cover of Thriller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loIhTy51kkY

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #368 on: December 22, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
I'm interested in the Black Sabbath cover.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #369 on: December 22, 2015, 11:46:08 AM »
So they did a couple special "Black Christmas" shows the past couple nights.  Setlists are pretty cool with a bunch of covers, here is thier cover of Thriller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loIhTy51kkY

Very cool.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: August 14, 2016, 01:32:18 PM »
https://www.ndr.de/unterhaltung/events/mera_luna/Jetzt-live-vom-Mera-Luna-Within-Temptation,meralunastream100.html

If anyone is around at this moment, live stream of Within Temptation... this is pretty awesome, looks like they got some live strings for this show.  :corn

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Within Temptation thread
« Reply #371 on: August 14, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »
I missed it. Hopefully it'll be on YouTube. It looks like it was a lot of goth and industrial acts.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: October 20, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySea-YvWHk

Full show of the M'era Luna Festival. I think her voice sounds really good. She has that operatic training which sometimes comes out in her tone. I'd LOVE for her to completely open up and hear just how powerful her voice can get.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #373 on: October 21, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
Wow, starting a show off with Ice Queen.  That's a pretty cool way to shake things up and get the crowd into the show right from the get go.  They really NEED to get mics away from the smoke machines though.  Every time those would go off, there was a really loud hiss.  :lol 

Listening to the whole thing now.  As always, Sharon sounds great.  And every time I see videos of their live performances, I am struck by the realization that Sharon could make herself filthy rich by giving "how to be an amazing front woman" classes.

Just found the full set list online on another site.  Interesting set.  Seems to be a pretty good mix of new vs. old and of popular vs. deep cuts. 

EDIT:  Ouch.  She is off on In The Middle Of The Night.  Oh well.  It is a difficult song. 

EDIT2:  WOW!  The cover is AMAZING!  :omg:

EDIT3:  Tarja...  :\

EDIT4:  What is up with Robert's eyes?  Looks like he is wearing zombie makeup.  Except that he isn't. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:58:08 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #374 on: October 21, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »
Wow, starting a show off with Ice Queen.  That's a pretty cool way to shake things up and get the crowd into the show right from the get go.  They really NEED to get mics away from the smoke machines though.  Every time those would go off, there was a really loud hiss.  :lol 

That was irritating. :lol 

However, opening up with Ice Queen blew me away as well.

Listening to the whole thing now.  As always, Sharon sounds great.  And every time I see videos of their live performances, I am struck by the realization that Sharon could make herself filthy rich by giving "how to be an amazing front woman" classes.

Just found the full set list online on another site.  Interesting set.  Seems to be a pretty good mix of new vs. old and of popular vs. deep cuts.

She really gets into the whole frontwoman designation. She's fun to watch, and not just because having kids swelled her boobies up.

EDIT:  Ouch.  She is off on In The Middle Of The Night.  Oh well.  It is a difficult song. 

That's a tough song to sing, plus she's running around and not catching her breath properly.

EDIT2:  WOW!  The cover is AMAZING!  :omg:

That was a pleasant surprise.

EDIT3:  Tarja...  :\

EDIT4:  What is up with Robert's eyes?  Looks like he is wearing zombie makeup.  Except that he isn't.

:lol  I wasn't quite sure either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: October 21, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
Yea, I remember watching that live and being so happy that Tarja was singing... and then she sounded terrible.  Awesome concert regardless though.  I'd love to see one of their holiday shows this year.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2016, 01:25:56 PM »
Is that show planned for release?  Even though it doesn't really bring anything new to the table other than the cover (and, sort of, with Robert doing the growls on Candles), I would probably still buy it.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #377 on: November 12, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »
For those that cares about any recent news about anyone regarding Within Temptation, Sharon had released a new song called My Indigo.  I read somewhere from another forum that this reminded them of Eurovision.  Completely different than what is expected from Within Temptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoT5UjZ5wNs&ab_channel=MyIndigo

Also, Within Temptation are looking to get back into the studio and will be looking to release an album in 2018.

https://loudwire.com/within-temptation-sharon-den-adel-my-indigo-solo-project/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
Apparently Sharon had some serious family issues that lead to her writing her own music.  I hope everything is good with her family, the wording doesn't sound very good and her new song has a sad vibe to it.  Looking forward to some new WT next year though.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #379 on: November 14, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
That's a fantastic song.  I don't that it was generated via a family crisis though, that really sucks.  Certainly looking forward to hearing more though!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #380 on: November 15, 2017, 03:13:05 AM »
Don't know if it was specifically 'family-issues' though. She explained on Dutch television she experienced a serious lack of energy after the last tour. She wanted to write new WT material, but it just didn't happen, in her own words  'ran into a wall'. After some soul-searching she decided she needes some time for herself and she started writing much more personal stuff then before, which she didn't think would fit WT. So 'My Indigo' (also the name of the project, she didn't even have bandmembers yet) was born.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #381 on: November 15, 2017, 06:19:28 AM »
Looks like there were a few different versions of the statement issued.  Blabbermouth has the original one, where I read it.  I guess it's transcribed from her video.  So yes, burnout coupled with some family issues.

"I know you've all been waiting a long time to hear a release date for the new WITHIN TEMPTATION album. How much I'd like to give you one now, I'm not able to yet.

"The thing is, when I came back from the tour last time, I went to the studio, like I always do when I come back from a tour, and I wanted to write music again, new stuff. And normally I have a lot of energy and a lot of inspiration, but this time it wasn't there; I didn't have it. And on top of that, I found myself in a bigger crisis than not being able to write songs; something happened in my family. And I felt that I needed more time for everything and to deal with this, so I did. No deadlines, no end date to fight against to finish stuff, no pressure to perform and spending time with my family and my friends.

"So here I am, two years later — [after taking a break] which did help to [make me] more relaxed and [saw me] taking more time for things. And I'm proud to say that we have some really kick-ass songs for WITHIN TEMPTATION now. They're still in demo phase. We're going into the studio soon, and there will be a release in 2018.

"In the meantime, I have been working on songs, but it's not WITHIN TEMPTATION material. These are very personal songs, because it was for myself that I wrote these songs, and especially to get through everything I was dealing with.

"I gave it a name. It's called MY INDIGO, and the first song from this project is also called 'My Indigo'. I hope you like it. Go and check it out.

"My apologies about the statements and putting everything on black and scaring some people. I hope you understand a little bit better why I did so, or we did so.

"I hope to see you on the road. And take care. Thanks."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/within-temptation-singer-launches-my-indigo-solo-project-promises-2018-release-for-bands-new-album.html#UMuAm3rKS6oWyceh.99

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #382 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
Damn, wasn't aware she went through a rough patch. Hope she is doing well.

Some related news:

-Ruud Jolie recently released a solo record, the second For All We Know album. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WesOGJXCM6w

-Sharon is a guest singer at the live show with Maiden United in the Royal Dutch Theater Carre. Maiden United covers Iron Maiden songs in altered acoustic fashion (I love their latest album). Ruud is one of the band members, for those who don't know.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
New album, Resist, due out on December 14th.

Dutch symphonic metallers Within Temptation will release their seventh album, Resist, on December 14th via Spinefarm Records/Universal Music Germany.

Speaking about the record, vocalist Sharon Den Adel tells Metal Hammer: “Sometimes it feels that today’s pop music lacks a rebellious edge. Our main goal was to collect pieces from sounds we did like then roughen the whole thing up as much as we could, allowing us to shape a new musical world that is heavier, dirtier and more futuristic than we’ve ever created before. Resist is our new take on metal; our way of giving a fresh lease of life to the rebellious edge of modern music.”

Complete album details to follow.

https://bravewords.com/news/within-temptation-resist-album-to-be-released-in-december
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
Well, I like that they are at least giving lip service to the metal aspect of the music.  IMO, that bodes well.  I am anxious to see whether or not that actually ends up being the case.