Author Topic: Within Temptation thread  (Read 81608 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Within Temptation thread v. new vid
« Reply #315 on: March 14, 2015, 03:56:38 AM »
From favorite to least favorite:  The first two could easily be a tie.

The Heart Of Everything
The Unforgiving
Hydra
The Silent Force
Mother Earth
Enter
Literally my exact ranking. :tup

:metal

Huh, Enter is easily my favourite.

Interesting. Don't get me wrong.  Enter is still an awesome CD.  What does your rest of your ranking look like?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: March 14, 2015, 04:01:47 AM »
Huh, Enter is easily my favourite.

Interesting. Don't get me wrong.  Enter is still an awesome CD.  What does your rest of your ranking look like?

Hm, I think it's something like that:

Enter
The Silent Force
The Heart of Everything
Mother Earth (been a while I listened to this one)
The Unforgiving

The Unforgiving didn't click with me at all, I haven't even checked Hydra out. Should probably fix that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2015, 04:14:21 AM »
Yes, you should fix that.    ;D    Do you generally have heavier tastes?   That could explain why The Unforgiving didn't click for you. I feel it's more poppier than others. 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2015, 07:09:47 AM »
Holy cow, I got a lot of catching up to do!!!  Lots of divided opinions, which I think is probably a good thing.  I don't care much for bands that sound the same over and over and over.

My new Let Us Burn live album should hold me over until I decide where to go next.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »
My rankings:

The Heart Of Everything
The Unforgiving
The Silent Force
Hydra

Haven't listened to these two besides some songs to really form a good opinion:

Mother Earth
Enter

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
The Unforgiving
The Silent Force
Mother Earth
The Heart Of Everything
Hydra
Enter

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »
Well, I DO have it on my work computer.  I will listen...

EDIT:  My thoughts as I am revisiting this so far:
Let Us Burn is okay.
Dangerous and And We Run are mostly horrible.
Paradise (with Tarja) is good (not great)
Edge of the World...not bad.  I do not love this band for its ballads, but this one has some interesting melodies that make it a little different.
Fell asleep at my desk during Silver Moonlight, so I dunno.
Covered By Roses is pretty cool.

But nothing that jumps out at me and makes me want to give this repeat listens.

Totally agree with your comments except Let Us Burn is awesome and Dangerous is actually good but took the experience of seeing that one live for it to click for me.

I would suggest you listen to the last song, its a softer song but The Whole World is Watching is really awesome, very emotional song.  Its actually one of my favorites of their entire catalogue and the video that was posted in this thread earlier is really awesome and I watch it a lot

https://youtu.be/RAwyofZrUnM?list=PL8Xat1WaNEGs5BidXRN0UhJTRMuLH0_tb

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »
I prefer the Dave Pirner version as opposed to the other guy who appears to be doing tai chi throughout the video. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
I prefer the Dave Pirner version as opposed to the other guy who appears to be doing tai chi throughout the video.

Yea I prefer his version as well, but I thought that guy was pretty solid.  I dont know if there is any other good live video of that song though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »

Yea I prefer his version as well, but I thought that guy was pretty solid.  I dont know if there is any other good live video of that song though.

I downloaded a couple of recent audio boots. I think there might be one video boot of the recent tour on YouTube. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »
Well, I DO have it on my work computer.  I will listen...

EDIT:  My thoughts as I am revisiting this so far:
Let Us Burn is okay.
Dangerous and And We Run are mostly horrible.
Paradise (with Tarja) is good (not great)
Edge of the World...not bad.  I do not love this band for its ballads, but this one has some interesting melodies that make it a little different.
Fell asleep at my desk during Silver Moonlight, so I dunno.
Covered By Roses is pretty cool.

But nothing that jumps out at me and makes me want to give this repeat listens.

Totally agree with your comments except Let Us Burn is awesome and Dangerous is actually good but took the experience of seeing that one live for it to click for me.

I would suggest you listen to the last song, its a softer song but The Whole World is Watching is really awesome, very emotional song.  Its actually one of my favorites of their entire catalogue and the video that was posted in this thread earlier is really awesome and I watch it a lot

https://youtu.be/RAwyofZrUnM?list=PL8Xat1WaNEGs5BidXRN0UhJTRMuLH0_tb

Dog Days is pretty good too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
I picked up Hydra.  Not exactly sure why, but when I start getting into new bands, I almost always work through the discography in exact reverse order. Lol.

So far I have heard the main album a few times (tracks 1 through 10) and absolutely love it.  There's like 8 bonus tracks (looks like some are alternate versions or something), but I haven't gotten to them yet.

After just a few listens my initial favorites are "Let Us Burn", "Paradise", and "Whole World is Watching."  (Yes, probably the most catchy or poppy songs.)  Not that I care, I'm a prog fan so I don't need to justify liking the poppy songs haha.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »
The bonus disc has a few cover songs which are really cool.  They actually played Summertime Sadness when I saw them which was great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
So far I have heard the main album a few times (tracks 1 through 10) and absolutely love it.  There's like 8 bonus tracks (looks like some are alternate versions or something), but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Yeah, 4 of them are new songs.  Not bad, but none of them really jumped out at me either.  I much prefer the bonus songs on The Unforgiving.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »

Dog Days is pretty good too.

It took me a while to get into that song. Now I really love it. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: March 16, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »

Yeah, 4 of them are new songs.  Not bad, but none of them really jumped out at me either.  I much prefer the bonus songs on The Unforgiving.

Bonus songs on The Unforgiving?! I need to find these.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #331 on: March 16, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »

Bonus songs on The Unforgiving?! I need to find these.

I Don't Wanna
The Last Dance
Empty Eyes

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #332 on: March 16, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »
Dog Days has the worst chorus ever.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ujb8MFnUBc

It's a far cry from the good ol' days of Wasted Years and Can I Play With Madness. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ujb8MFnUBc

It's a far cry from the good ol' days of Wasted Years and Can I Play With Madness.

While repetitive, the chorus is just fine  :biggrin: Using a concert with a great sing a long crowd doesnt help either

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2015, 01:42:34 PM »
Yeah, sure, Blood Brothers is your typical repetitive IM chorus, but they've done so much worse. Singing "we're Blood Brothers" 4 times is nothing compared to The Angel and the Gambler or

NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES
NO MORE LIES

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
There's a bootleg up on Dime from March 15th.  I already have one from March 5th.  It's not as cool as collecting DT boots but I like hearing Sharon sing me to sleep.   ;D

https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=522090

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
I wish I was in the Netherlands to see that Theater Tour they are doing, looks awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
I wish I was in the Netherlands to see that Theater Tour they are doing, looks awesome.

It really does. They have some setlist put together.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
Woo hoo!  I was with my daughter at our local best buy buying her some crap for her Nintendo 3ds, and out of morbid curiosity looked to see if they had any Within Temptation.  They had Hydra, which I bought the mp3 of already on amazon, and Enter/The Dance.

So, I am now the proud owner of Enter/The Dance.  Listened to a few songs, looking forward to absorbing the album. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #341 on: April 02, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
I have Enter already and had been hunting for The Dance online for quite awhile.  The only copies I saw were pricey, so I never pulled the trigger.  I'll have to get this new combo re-release and ditch my copy of Enter for a couple of bucks at the store that does buy-backs. 

I went to said music store yesterday to pick up the new Nightwish and found a copy of Let Us Burn for $21.99.  Between my rewards and a small store credit, I ended up getting it almost for free.  I watched about half of the Elements set.  Pretty good.  I did not realize they did another full symphony thing.  Not necessary, since we already have the incredible Black Symphony, but still cool.  So far, pretty good.  I was skipping songs here and there since I knew I would not have time for the whole thing, so I have not seen the entire thing and I missed a lot of the continuity.  So I noticed that they had the "new guy" on guitar.  But then at some point, Robert is there too and stays onstage.  So is Robert basically there for the whole show?  I am assuming (but do not know for sure) that "new guy" was the official touring guitar player, but that since they were filming a show as a one-off so close to home, that Robert stepped back in for the appearance and they basically did it as a 3-guitarist show.  Anyone else know the details?

As for what I saw/heard of the show, it looked and sounded fantastic.  The only knock I have is the same as with Black Symphony:  the guitars are too low in the mix, so it sounds like a more keyboard and symphony-driven band as opposed to a metal band.  I know it is difficult to get that perfect balance, and they want the symphony to shine through, but I feel like it takes away some of the power, especially during parts like the sinister guitar riffing going into the second verse of In The Middle Of The Night.  I wish they would crank up the guitars on parts like that and let the songs be a bit more guitar-driven.

Sharon's voice sounds great, and she is such a charismatic front-woman.  She is such a pleasure to watch perform.

The set list is pretty good too, even if it really is only about a set and a half of material, given the overlap of 7 songs between the two sets.  Not complaining--those 7 songs are pretty much mainstays that I think most fans would want to see if they were going to see a WT show.  And they are good songs.  It's just that, for a live release featuring those two sets, it feels like a LOT of duplication.  If I could further nitpick the sets, I would also want just a bit more Unforgiving on the first set.  Definitely Murder, and maybe Where Is The Edge? and A Demon's Fate, if I can be greedy.  But, again, that's just nitpicking. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I agree with the setlist point.  I mean, for the price of those two concerts on on release, I cant complain too much, but there is also a lot of overlap with The Black Symphony with regards to those songs too which is more of a negative to me, but like you said, those are staple songs so its not like they aren't going to play them.  I personally really like Sinead from Elements, with the dancers  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2015, 11:14:36 AM »
I personally really like Sinead from Elements, with the dancers  :biggrin:

I like the musical/vocal performance.  As to the stage performance, including the dancers, I have no idea.  All you could really see was an isolated dance move here or there that, to me, just looked silly out of context.  Actually, that brings me to an actual nitpick that I had forgotten:  the editing, at least on Elements, is a mess.  It's like they let Steve Harris do it.  The camera jumps around so quickly from shot to shot that you are never really sure what you are looking at.  I HATE that!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #344 on: June 01, 2015, 07:10:26 PM »
Still on my Within Temptation kick, have been now for months.  I picked up The Heart of Everything a while back....  Holy smokes, I didn't think any album of theirs could top The Unforgiving, but I'd have to say Heart of Everything is EASILY my favorite album of theirs.  Unforgiving and Hydra are probably tied for second/third.  I have Enter/Dance combo cd and like it but don't listen to it much at all.  Still glad I have it though. 

I've listened to Silent Force a couple times on Spotify and like it, so I'll definitely pick it up at some point. I generally find stuff I like on spotify but don't really get into albums until I buy them.  And since WT is like my favorite band this year I'm sure I'll get Mother Earth at some point too.

I like their heavy and their not-so-heavy about equally.  Favorite song from Hydra is "Edge of the World", fav from Unforgiving is "Sinead" and fav from Heart of Everything is...  can't choose, too many tied... If I HAD to choose just one maybe I'd go for "Hand of Sorrow."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #345 on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
If you don't have it already, you really should get Black Symphony.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »
I have to agree with Bosk.  If any of you don't already have Black Symphony, buy it, if you can find it.  Here in the Northeast, it is difficult to find any older symphonic metal albums, and it is probably even harder in Middle America. The Newburies and the Bull Mooses seem to load up on one initial shipment of albums when bands like WT or Nightwish have new releases, and never replenish them when they're sold out.  Lesser-selling bands like Epica or Delain might have 1 or 2 copies of their new albums in stock when they're first released, but as for having any copies of their older albums in stock, well, you might as well try iTunes (or eBay, if you want a physical copy).  I did luck out once and find a used After Forever album (Prison of Desire) in the just-in bin in a Boston-area Newbury Comics, but that was a once in a lifetime occurrence.

Back to Black Symphony.  The 2-disc version is the one to get, with the full-concert DVD on one disc and a truncated-concert on the CD portion.  The only glaring omissions are Ice Queen (a major one, granted) and The Other Half of Me, unless you really care about ballads like Memories and All I Need.
iTunes still sells the complete concert's audio tracks.  You also get a Dutch language documentary of the band covering their entire career up until that point (2008), with available English subtitles, in which a completely unmade up Sharon is interviewed.

Speaking of which, a while back in this thread, somebody mentioned that he would like to see the band live, just to see if Sharon is as attractive live as she is in video.  Well, I saw WT at the Worcester Palladium last October and stood in the second row of the crowd, about ten to fifteen feet away from her at points in the show, and I can confirm that she definitely is.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #347 on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
Hmm....  I think I should really check that out (Black Symphony).  Just checking some Amazon reviews and in general everyone says it's definitely worth it (not that I couldn't just take BOSK1's word for it!!!).

Can't remember if I saw that at my local FYE or not, I feel like I did...  I'll have to add this to my "to buy" list for sure, it seems to have good reviews.  And I know I like live stuff by them anyway, as I dig their latest live album "Let Us Burn" (which is the first album I bought from them).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: June 02, 2015, 05:43:37 AM »
I'd recommend Black Symphony as well, I got the blu-ray on amazon and it's awesome.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #349 on: June 02, 2015, 05:47:15 AM »
Yeah, that DVD is absolutely great.

Here is all proshot concert footage of paaspop schijndel btw, a recent festival (I think it was broadcasted live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjB3ZMozvrM Stand My Ground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFljPlNDbds The Heart of Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvps99pDnQ Mother Earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZhukc1aJZY Sinead (acoustic)

Albums not being released here that are released elsewhere, and no ability for the U.S. fans to purchase them on the band's website.  No tour dates here.  And just a general attitude of "American fans?  Eh, whatever."

EDIT:  To elaborate on the albums:
-Black Symphony:  Deluxe edition not sold in U.S.  On their website, which was the only place to find it at the time, they would not ship it to the U.S.  Not that the standard edition was bad, but still.  I would love to have the extras, especially since it is a whole extra concert!
-An Acoustic Night At The Theatre:  Letting go of the misspelling of "Theatre," not available in the U.S. and they will not ship it to the U.S.
-Q Sessions:  Same thing.

A bit late reply, but that is unfortunate. But I am sure there are ways to order it, but the shipping costs are probably significant (I know bol.com, one of the most popular online shops over here, ships to most countries around the world. No English language on that site though).