Author Topic: Within Temptation thread  (Read 81521 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Within Temptation thread v. new vid
« Reply #280 on: December 31, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »
As annoyed as I am with this band, I was in a mood to listen to them and stumbled upon this show from 2012:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUzEE-GTlRE

Stunning.  There were truly some awesome tracks on The Unforgiving, and some of them are showcased here along with some of their classics.  Although I guess I shouldn't be, I am pleasantly surprised at how awesome In The Middle Of The Night is in a live setting. 

Oh, and did Sharon and Robert break up, or is that him in black with the long(ish) hair and I am just not recognizing him?

Yeah pretty good show, although the drumming sounds very strange, I dunno just seems different to their albums.
Sharon is a beautiful woman, but this outfit is horrendous. Looks like something out of the original 1960's Star Trek series.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #281 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »
Albums not being released here that are released elsewhere, and no ability for the U.S. fans to purchase them on the band's website.  No tour dates here.  And just a general attitude of "American fans?  Eh, whatever."

EDIT:  To elaborate on the albums:
-Black Symphony:  Deluxe edition not sold in U.S.  On their website, which was the only place to find it at the time, they would not ship it to the U.S.  Not that the standard edition was bad, but still.  I would love to have the extras, especially since it is a whole extra concert!
-An Acoustic Night At The Theatre:  Letting go of the misspelling of "Theatre," not available in the U.S. and they will not ship it to the U.S.
-Q Sessions:  Same thing.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:13:17 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #282 on: December 31, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
I'm upset about the Q sessions.  I love their version of Skyfall, and Titanium.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2015, 01:12:05 AM »
Just bumping to see if anyone has heard any new news with the band or saw any of the recent shows.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
I saw them in the fall but I believe they've been on break and prepping for a small venue tour that should be starting soon so not a whole lot in the news for them.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #285 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:45 AM »
Yes, they play in a lot of theaters, instead of regular concert venues. My mother is interested in seeing them, so maybe I can tag along   ;D She saw them at vrienden van Amstel live once, which is all kinds of dutch artists (pop, rock, metal, folk, basically every succesful Dutch artist) doing their own songs with guests, covers and other special stuff.

Here is a pro shot Within Temptation covering Coldplay's Sky Full of Stars about a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpgj1LyjKk (warning: very poppy  :P Good performance and epic stage setup though).

Sharon also performed with the Golden Earring that night, but there is no pro footage of that. Wish they just released everything.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:01:21 AM by ErHaO »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: February 15, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks for sharing and thats cool, but is that actually within temptation or just Sharon?  Almost looks like the bass player but not sure about the rest of the band.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #287 on: February 15, 2015, 12:03:20 PM »
Ah, good point. I think it is just Sharon with an orchestra and band,  but not officially WT (could be some of them playing though). Within Temptation played twice before on this event, so I just kind of assumed it were them. Sharon performed more Coldplay songs even, but no pro shot footage (you can order a DVD to be released when buying Amstel beer, so maybe that includes more).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: February 15, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
I'll take anything with Sharon.  Thanks for the link.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »
Maybe you guys do not know these either. A few vids between last year and now, in case you might have missed those (some are relatively well known though). Most of them really Within Temptation, not just Sharon  :P

Acoustic performance of Sinead at Ruud de Wild's broadcast a few weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRyTtSyJ6w

Sharon performing a new (Dutch language) song with rapper Ali B (in his program) last year:
From 34:30 onwards, full song follows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PQ36h2khs

Within Temptation performing the whole World is Watching at the RTL4 Late Night Show last year, with Wudstik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAwyofZrUnM

Live performances in the studio of radio 538 in the morning broadcast last year (they did this before in 2012):
https://www.538.nl/programma/16/evers-staat-op/nieuws/757/within-temptation-live-in-evers-staat-op

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
Maybe you guys do not know these either. A few vids between last year and now, in case you might have missed those (some are relatively well known though). Most of them really Within Temptation, not just Sharon  :P

Acoustic performance of Sinead at Ruud de Wild's broadcast a few weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSRyTtSyJ6w

Sharon performing a new (Dutch language) song with rapper Ali B (in his program) last year:
From 34:30 onwards, full song follows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PQ36h2khs

Within Temptation performing the whole World is Watching at the RTL4 Late Night Show last year, with Wudstik:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAwyofZrUnM

Live performances in the studio of radio 538 in the morning broadcast last year (they did this before in 2012):
https://www.538.nl/programma/16/evers-staat-op/nieuws/757/within-temptation-live-in-evers-staat-op

Awesome, thanks for sharing! By the way I only pointed it out that it wasnt WT because I didnt think it actually way, but I really enjoy these performances regardless.

Also, The Whole World is Watching is one of my favorite WT songs.  Its just so awesome.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2015, 06:25:29 AM »
Her voice is so beautiful.  She used to be my favorite female singer but after hearing Simone Simons, I'm torn.

Is it me or does the rap from the Ali B song seem totally out of place?

Who is the second singer in The Whole World is Watching?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2015, 07:16:52 AM »
Yeah, I am not too fond of the rap. But it his television program after all, and I respect his genuine passion for music and enthousiasm. This episode was very personal, Sharon even cries when she recalls her past.

That second singer is Wudstik, a dutch R&B/Hip Hop artist. But he has an outspoken passion for metal and prog (DT fan) and can be heard on Ayreons 10101, for example.

As for our best female (metal/rock) singer, I'll go with Floor  ;D  Too bad nothing with Simone and Floor charted high in the Netherlands, otherwise we would probably be enjoying many broadcasts with them as well (alltough there are the occasional instances).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
I like Floor too but she doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the other two. 

I've heard the name Wudstik before.  Maybe someone on the forum mentioned him.  He sounded good in the performance. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
I like Floor too but she doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the other two. 

I've heard the name Wudstik before.  Maybe someone on the forum mentioned him.  He sounded good in the performance.

Well, considering this is a WT thread, Wudstik was also the main vocalist of Ruud Jolie's solo project (which has an appearance of Sharon on the song Keep Breathing too. Which is nice but also a bit of wasted potential due to it's briefness).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
Simone is definitely my favorite... and the Simone/Floor version of Sancta Terra is amazing, but yea nothing to do with WT

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
Simone is definitely my favorite... and the Simone/Floor version of Sancta Terra is amazing, but yea nothing to do with WT

I love the version on Retrospect, but I have seen another performance or two on YouTube that were somewhat underwhelming.  Simone and Floor have stronger voices than Sharron, but I could certainly see why some might prefer Sharron to either of them.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »

I love the version on Retrospect, but I have seen another performance or two on YouTube that were somewhat underwhelming.  Simone and Floor have stronger voices than Sharron, but I could certainly see why some might prefer Sharron to either of them.

I was referring to Retrospect as thats the "official" version of it I guess you can say which is magical.  Agreed about Sharron, she is definitely great and has an amazing stage presence, I just think Simone and Floor are both better vocalists and I enjoy their voices more, specifcally with Simone, but I may like Sharon's voice over Floors... thats a bit tougher and I dont have enough of Floor's material to go off of honestly since besides one After Forever album and her contributions to Nightwish thus far, I havent really heard much of her work.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
Oh my...  Just discovering this band and loving them.  I've spent the last several months obsessing on other female fronted bands like Epica, Delain, Stream of Passion, etc.  For whatever reason never gave Within Temptation a proper try....

So I listened to a little on spotify and liked enough to decide to buy an album.  I ended up getting their newest live album as my first album (mp3 version on amazon).  OMG, blown away.  I can't stop listening to it.  And I'm not even normally a big fan of live music.  But it was like a double album for around the same price as the studio albums so I thought it would be wise to get as many different songs as possible for the price.  Good decision.

I love this band.  Def gonna have to buy more albums.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: March 12, 2015, 07:01:48 PM »
Oh my...  Just discovering this band and loving them.  I've spent the last several months obsessing on other female fronted bands like Epica, Delain, Stream of Passion, etc.  For whatever reason never gave Within Temptation a proper try....

So I listened to a little on spotify and liked enough to decide to buy an album.  I ended up getting their newest live album as my first album (mp3 version on amazon).  OMG, blown away.  I can't stop listening to it.  And I'm not even normally a big fan of live music.  But it was like a double album for around the same price as the studio albums so I thought it would be wise to get as many different songs as possible for the price.  Good decision.

Check out The Unforgiving next.  It's filled with catchy songs. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2015, 08:04:17 PM »

If you really want to love them, watch this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OSqPjIcuY

And because they cut it from that set:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkiJB496TTk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:13:21 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:29 PM »
Nice bosk!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2015, 06:02:25 AM »
Yea, the bonus concert with the Black Symphony blu ray!   :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
Since I got paid yesterday, I think I'm going to spoil myself and get the Blu-ray show.  The only WT home video I have is back from the Mother Earth tour. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »
Saw them with DT........that was enough.  not my cup of tea.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »
Since I got paid yesterday, I think I'm going to spoil myself and get the Blu-ray show.  The only WT home video I have is back from the Mother Earth tour.

Which one? Black Symphony or Let Us Burn?  Both are very good.  Black Symphony is probably the best overall concert, but Let Us Burn has two concerts.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »

Which one? Black Symphony or Let Us Burn?  Both are very good.  Black Symphony is probably the best overall concert, but Let Us Burn has two concerts.

Hmmm Maybe I'll get one this week and the other one in two weeks when I get paid again.  I'll probably go for Black Symphony first. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
That concert that I linked to is the bonus disk on the European version of Black Symphony.  It became almost impossible to find shortly after release, so I never saw it until recently finding it on YouTube.  I have the standard edition that has only the main concert.

I didn't really care for Hydra, so no plans to get Let Us Burn.  Plus I'm somewhat boycotting them for giving the U.S. fans the finger in recent years.  I may change my mind at some point if they start putting out great music again.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »
That concert that I linked to is the bonus disk on the European version of Black Symphony.  It became almost impossible to find shortly after release, so I never saw it until recently finding it on YouTube.  I have the standard edition that has only the main concert.

I didn't really care for Hydra, so no plans to get Let Us Burn.  Plus I'm somewhat boycotting them for giving the U.S. fans the finger in recent years.  I may change my mind at some point if they start putting out great music again.

You disliked it that much?  It's not my favorite CD of theirs but there are a few tracks on there I really love.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
"Dislike" makes it sound like I actively disliked it.  It was more of an, "eh, this does nothing much for me" reaction.  After a couple of quick listens, I just put it down.  I hated the song with the rapper, but otherwise, it was more of a case of it failing to make an impression.

For a bit of background, I got into the band during the The Heart Of Everything era.  Bought The Silent Force not long after, and liked it, but not as much.  Same with Mother Earth.  Loved Black Symphony.  Mostly loved The Unforgiving.  I feel the band was kinda finding their way and improving album by album up until their peak of THOE, and were still hitting full stride with The Unforgiving but just made a few creative choices that I disliked on The Unforgiving.  Hydra just did not live up to that.  And with how they were treating the American fans, I just lost interest.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »
I was not a big fan of Hyrda either initially, took quite a few monthes to give it more listens and then finally seeing them to really love the album.  Its not as good as the previous albums, but still solid.  The only song im not big on is the one with the rapper as well, it was solid live but still not a great song IMO.  The Let Us Burn DVD, the first concert is from the Unforgiven tour so its lots of those songs though and also with choir and orchestra.  Great performance and lots of other cool parts to the stage show they did.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
Well, I DO have it on my work computer.  I will listen...

EDIT:  My thoughts as I am revisiting this so far:
Let Us Burn is okay.
Dangerous and And We Run are mostly horrible.
Paradise (with Tarja) is good (not great)
Edge of the World...not bad.  I do not love this band for its ballads, but this one has some interesting melodies that make it a little different.
Fell asleep at my desk during Silver Moonlight, so I dunno.
Covered By Roses is pretty cool.

But nothing that jumps out at me and makes me want to give this repeat listens.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:33:31 PM by bosk1 »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #312 on: March 14, 2015, 12:02:21 AM »
I think that THOE of The Unforgiving are definitely them at their best. I was listening to Enter the other day actually and since I already am a fan of that gothic metal sound, it's still fun to listen to.  However, like I mentioned earlier they are better at writing the more poppier sounding metal riffs like on The Unforgiving. 

I agree with both bosk and my NJ neighbor about the rap song. Sorry guys, you aren't Anthrax. Some of the songs on Hydra took a while to grow on me.  I think I would rank the CDs like this:

From favorite to least favorite:  The first two could easily be a tie.

The Heart Of Everything
The Unforgiving
Hydra
The Silent Force
Mother Earth
Enter

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #313 on: March 14, 2015, 03:23:27 AM »
From favorite to least favorite:  The first two could easily be a tie.

The Heart Of Everything
The Unforgiving
Hydra
The Silent Force
Mother Earth
Enter
Literally my exact ranking. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: March 14, 2015, 03:41:36 AM »
Huh, Enter is easily my favourite.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.