Author Topic: Is Scarred Underrated?  (Read 9253 times)

Offline Seventh Son

Re: Is Scarred Underrated?
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
Scarred is awesome and gets too much hate, but what I really came in here to post was that Rime of the Ancient Mariner doesn't fade out.
Except it does?

What version are you listening to? It clearly doesn't. The song ends with the Bruce singing "On and on and on..." as the musicians come to a halt and his voices echoes off.
I have both the Powerslave and Live after Death versions. His voice trails off and the song slowly fades off.... that to me is a "fade out".
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13:09 AM »
"Fade out" when discussing music, is a term that dates back a LONG time from the first days of the radio. It's when the volume of the recording just decreases while the instruments continue at full force. That's what a fade-out is.

Also, the instruments in Rime come to a complete stop. There's no question the guys have stopped playing and Bruce has stopped singing. On a real "fade out," it sound like the guys went on playing, even if you can't hear it anymore...

Offline pmahoney1337

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »
I always felt it was underrated as well. I know I underrated it when I first heard it. Now I love it.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
Scarred is like the rest of Awake...it doesn't get alot of love, but it doesn't get alot of criticism, either.

Awake (like Scarred) is one of the works that is just in a world of it's own. Nobody has ever put it in the "worst DT has ever done pile." It just stands the test of time, I guess.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2010, 06:40:56 PM »
Scarred is awesome and gets too much hate, but what I really came in here to post was that Rime of the Ancient Mariner doesn't fade out.
Except it does?

What version are you listening to? It clearly doesn't. The song ends with the Bruce singing "On and on and on..." as the musicians come to a halt and his voices echoes off.
I have both the Powerslave and Live after Death versions. His voice trails off and the song slowly fades off.... that to me is a "fade out".

I wouldn't consider ROTAM to fade out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »
Except it does?

I wouldn't consider ROTAM to fade out.

whats a wolfking?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
A king of wolves, obviously
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2010, 07:05:45 PM »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
Scarred is tied with Surrounded for my favorite DT song.  Absolutely amazing.  I particularly love the middle section ("Do you feel...").  It starts out really reserved and slowly builds and builds until that last awesome note before going back into the chorus.  Killer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2010, 04:39:05 AM »
Rime of the Ancient Mariner does not fade out.  Learning To Live and Scarred both fade out.  See the difference?

And yes, Scarred is underrated.  For me, it is probably one of the best marriages between DT's musical potential and their lyrical potential. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
And yes, Scarred is underrated.  For me, it is probably one of the best marriages between DT's musical potential and their lyrical potential. 
Absolutely. I feel the same way about Lines In The Sand.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
Absolutely. I feel the same way about Lines In The Sand.
So do I.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2010, 11:24:40 AM »
Good thing both Scarred and Lines in the Sand are two of DT's best songs  :biggrin:
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2010, 01:25:13 PM »
Good thing both Scarred and Lines in the Sand are two of DT's best songs  :biggrin:

Yup..Scarred is my #3 and Lines is my #6.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
True.  Both are Top 10-caliber for me.