Author Topic: Is Scarred Underrated?  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Is Scarred Underrated?
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
I have been listening the Awake lately and a light went on while listening to Scarred. What a great freaking song. I always liked it, but its on a whole different level now for me.
Does this song get the love it deserves?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Is Scarred Underrated?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
It gets a lot of undue hate for sure considering some of the criticisms are really baffling. Easily one of their most mature and reserved songs and I saw reserved because there is hardly anything flashy in the song and the few shredding runs are done very tastefully.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
A lot of people seem to obsessively love this song, but for me it's just a meh song. It's good in parts, but never is it really great like so many other DT songs. This is just my opinion, but I think it is just a tad overrated.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »
Does this song get the love it deserves?

Absolutely.  Most fans love it.  Like a lot of things, I think the hate just stands out because the minority that dislike it are more vocal about their dislike.

I know it took me a while to get into because the jarring transitions were some of the most extreme DT had done, and it really seemed odd at first.  But it's probably a top 10 song for me (and at least top 20).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
I know it took me a while to get into because the jarring transitions were some of the most extreme DT had done

Now I understand there are transitions but jarring and extreme are two words I'd never use to describe them. I honestly barely even notice them because they flow so well into each other. The songs they've written recently? Oh yeah. Jarring and extreme is a word used to describe the transition from say the "Peaceful Sedation" part to the solo section in "A Nightmare To Remember".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
Considering it is their best song, yet many don't acknowledge it as such, then I would have to say that, yes, it is underrated. :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
I've always loved Scarred ever since the first time I heard it.  Why some don't like it is completely incomprehesible to me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
A lot of people seem to obsessively love this song, but for me it's just a meh song. It's good in parts, but never is it really great like so many other DT songs. This is just my opinion, but I think it is just a tad overrated.
Same here. I don't really get the obsession over it, but each to their own.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
Top 10 DT song and 2nd best off of Awake for me.

Completely agree with the points Orcus made.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »
I think that Scarred is amazing. I don't mind those who dislike the song, but it sometimes baffles me how vocal they can get with the hate every time they have the opportunity to do so.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
Scarred is my 3rd favorite Dream Theater song, and I've loved it ever since I got Awake.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline j

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
As long as there is a person in the world who dislikes it, Scarred will be underrated.

It did take quite awhile to really grow on me though.  I agree with bosk about the transitions.  Even now they're a little unorthodox.

-J

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »
I think that Scarred is amazing. I don't mind those who dislike the song, but it sometimes baffles me how vocal they can get with the hate every time they have the opportunity to do so.
I would argue that this is what happens to anything that is disliked by anyone here. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 12:45:25 PM »
I would argue that this is what happens to anything that is disliked by anyone here. :lol
Indeed. I'll defend Space-Dye Vest on the forum until the day I die!  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
Indeed. I'll defend Space-Dye Vest on the forum until the day I die!  :biggrin:

I'm with you! Scarred is #3 and Space Dye Vest is #5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:51:41 PM »
Scarred is my 3rd favorite Dream Theater song, and I've loved it ever since I got Awake.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »

True, but when it comes to Scarred, it's taken to a whole new dimension.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:16:56 PM »
It's not so much underrated since a lot of people love it, but for me it's the clear best song on Awake. Yet even though lots of people sing Awake's praises (more than I would), Scarred isn't often one of the things they say is great about it, even though I'd say it's the best thing on there.

But really I don't think any old DT song is underrated.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »
For me Scarred is probably the most mature and solid song they have ever written. 
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 01:28:18 PM »
For me Scarred is probably the most mature and solid song they have ever written. 

this.

cool unison. JP has an AMAZING guitar solo. and the outro is the business

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
I think most individuals either overrate Scarred or underrate Scarred, mostly the latter.  There are a lot of people that would place Scarred in the top 5, which I feel is unjustified in light of all the other material out there.  There are also a lot of people that really bash Scarred (probably in response to those that love it). 

I think Scarred is right in between.  It has some real shining moments, such as the intro, the solos, and the "Do you feel?" section, all of which are the best moments on Awake.  However, the rest is quite bland and forgettable, in my opinion, and the transitions between parts aren't polished at all.  It's also a fade-out song, which it ought not to be, since it's long enough to be an "epic."  I do enjoy the ending they crafted in OiaLT very much, though.

Scarred would probably make my top 50, but would definitely be on the lower end.  From my experience, most people that talk about Scarred on the forums either rank it in their top 15 or not at all.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
Scarred would probably make my top 50, but would definitely be on the lower end.  From my experience, most people that talk about Scarred on the forums either rank it in their top 15 or not at all.

BrotherH..what's your DT Top 10 look like?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »
I think most individuals either overrate Scarred or underrate Scarred, mostly the latter.  There are a lot of people that would place Scarred in the top 5, which I feel is unjustified in light of all the other material out there.  There are also a lot of people that really bash Scarred (probably in response to those that love it). 

I think Scarred is right in between.  It has some real shining moments, such as the intro, the solos, and the "Do you feel?" section, all of which are the best moments on Awake.  However, the rest is quite bland and forgettable, in my opinion, and the transitions between parts aren't polished at all.  It's also a fade-out song, which it ought not to be, since it's long enough to be an "epic."  I do enjoy the ending they crafted in OiaLT very much, though.

11 minutes long doesn't qualify as epic?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
It's also a fade-out song, which it ought not to be, since it's long enough to be an "epic."

??? 

An epic can have a fade-out.  Plenty of them do.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 01:43:31 PM »
It's also a fade-out song, which it ought not to be, since it's long enough to be an "epic."

??? 

An epic can have a fade-out.  Plenty of them do.
Close to the Edge
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Learning to Live

to name a few.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Seventh Son, I am saying that Scarred certainly DOES qualify as an epic, and as such, it deserves a more bombastic, epic conclusion, which it lacks due to the fade-out.  And yes, I agree that that doesn't always have to apply, since songs llike LtL are fade-out...but it just works for LtL, with a "the dream will go on" feel to it.....while it just isn't called for in Scarred.

TAC, there is a difference between MY subjective top 10 and THE objective top 10.  I'd rather not say MY top 10 since I need to save that for the official thread; but THE top 10 probably looks like this:

1.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2.  A Change of Seasons
3.  Learning to Live
4.  Octavarium
5.  The Count of Tuscany
6.  Metropolis
7.  In the Name of God
8.  The Spirit Carries On
9.  Trial of Tears
10.  Finally Free
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »
You seem to have a thing for album closers.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »
 :lol

That's cuz they're usually the best and most polished.  :P

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
I think most individuals either overrate Scarred or underrate Scarred, mostly the latter.  There are a lot of people that would place Scarred in the top 5, which I feel is unjustified in light of all the other material out there.  There are also a lot of people that really bash Scarred (probably in response to those that love it).  

I think Scarred is right in between.  It has some real shining moments, such as the intro, the solos, and the "Do you feel?" section, all of which are the best moments on Awake.  However, the rest is quite bland and forgettable, in my opinion, and the transitions between parts aren't polished at all.  It's also a fade-out song, which it ought not to be, since it's long enough to be an "epic."  I do enjoy the ending they crafted in OiaLT very much, though.

Scarred would probably make my top 50, but would definitely be on the lower end.  From my experience, most people that talk about Scarred on the forums either rank it in their top 15 or not at all.

I agree that those sections are by far the best. The verses are quite forgettable, although people cream over them because JLB forgot to clear his throat before singing  ;). However, that 3rd(?) verse where he goes "it calms me to know that I WWWWOOOOOOOOOOONNNTTT" is one of DT's greatest vocal moments.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:38:36 AM by Dream Team »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
Considering it is their best song, yet many don't acknowledge it as such, then I would have to say that, yes, it is underrated. :biggrin:

Hahaha.  I know what you mean.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »
TAC, there is a difference between MY subjective top 10 and THE objective top 10.
What? There's no such thing as an objective top 10. Unless you mean the collective opinions of the fanbase, in which case all we really have is this thread:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=8535.0

Here it is in all its glory, DTF's 2009 DT song rankings and ratings:
1. Octavarium: 9.623
2. A Change of Seasons: 9.416
3. Metropolis Pt 1: 9.273
4. The Glass Prison: 9.150
5. The Count of Tuscany: 9.082
6. Trial of Tears: 9.077
7. Learning to Live: 9.075
8. In the Name of God: 8.993
9. Voices: 8.917
10. Take the Time: 8.835

On which note, I thought about redoing it this year, but I figured I'll wait until there's a new album out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
It's not underrated by me. One of my favourites from Awake and may even be number 1. i love the heavy riff. I love the light and shade.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »

What was this board thinking? Gross.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »
:lol It actually makes me wonder whether anyone has that exact top 10.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »
TAC, there is a difference between MY subjective top 10 and THE objective top 10.
What? There's no such thing as an objective top 10. Unless you mean the collective opinions of the fanbase, in which case all we really have is this thread:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=8535.0

On which note, I thought about redoing it this year, but I figured I'll wait until there's a new album out.

What is TGP doing above LtL?  Yeah, there's no way that's the definitive top 10.  And, yes, I'll have to disagree with you in that there exists a perfect, objective top 10 that exists outside of what any individual thinks.  But there's not really a point in arguing about that.