Author Topic: Creating God in one's own image.  (Read 34564 times)

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
Re: Creating God in one's own image.
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
Nothing in existence is perfect. Is that ALL to blame for Adam and Eve?

This is what the Bible says.

Would this be an inconvenient time to point out this is all pointless hypothesizing because Adam and Eve never existed?

That in itself is a hypothesis. a Pointless hypothesis to make. Evidence is on my side for that. I actually have evidence that they existed. If you want to claim they never existed; prove it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »
The bible doesn't say anything about universal imperfections. Nor does it attribute DNA.....wait, it never mentions DNA.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
The bible doesn't say anything about universal imperfections. Nor does it attribute DNA.....wait, it never mentions DNA.

I'm pretty sure it says "all creation" in Romans 8 and DNA is part of creation isn't it? Wait, you didn't read the passages I referenced.

Online Adami

« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »
Paul wasn't aware of DNA or anything outside of his field of vision. His "all creation" is limited.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »

Would this be an inconvenient time to point out this is all pointless hypothesizing because Adam and Eve never existed?

That in itself is a hypothesis. a Pointless hypothesis to make. Evidence is on my side for that. I actually have evidence that they existed. If you want to claim they never existed; prove it.

uhhhhhhhhh

Could I see this evidence?  Where do you even draw the line at what is and what is not human? 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
Paul wasn't aware of DNA or anything outside of his field of vision. His "all creation" is limited.

Actually his "creation" referred to everything that has been created. Jews knew acutely about heredity (they were very proud of family lines and made great attempts to trace their family lines back as far as possible). They knew that sin had tarnished their worldly bodies. This is why they looked forward to their resurrected bodies which wouldn't age and wouldn't have imperfections.

So while they didn't know what DNA was, they know that the body is imperfect and it decays. You don't need to know about DNA to know that things aren't right.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »

uhhhhhhhhh

Could I see this evidence?  Where do you even draw the line at what is and what is not human? 

Gen 1-3

Online Adami

« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:01 PM »
That's your proof for Adam and EVe?

Genesis?

Really?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »
I can't remember, does Genesis say Adam is an Australopithicus or a Homo?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

« Reply #254 on: November 01, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »

Hetero.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

uhhhhhhhhh

Gen 1-3

fuck

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »
Phil, old buddy, since you take the bible so literally. I am curious, where did Caines wife come from?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »

it says "man" and "woman".

It says God's image. It traces humans which we know were Homo Sapiens back to Adam and Eve. As a result I have no reason to believe that they weren't Homo Sapiens.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
Phil, old buddy, since you take the bible so literally. I am curious, where did Caines wife come from?

That's a plot hole that ALWAYS bugged me, but I hadn't seen anyone mention 'til now.

@Phil

But we clearly have about 4 million of divergent evolution from other primates.  When were they given souls?  Was it all Garden of Eden up in here up until ~150,000 years ago?  Where do you draw the line between homo sapiens and other species of the genus?  How can you reconcile this with other elements of natural history that clearly show the rest of Genesis has no bearing on our natural history?

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #259 on: November 01, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »

Cain's wife came from Eve.

Which isn't so bad considering that Eve came from Adam, she didn't haver any dissemination. The bible has no problem with Adam having sex with a derivitive of himself. As a result of that it's safe to assume that God set things up so that weird things didn't happen seeing they were the "proto"family so to speak.

I hold no qualms with believing that God set up some really strong DNA in Adam and Eve that held for extreme variations among their children. After that natural selection and micro evolution set in and we have variations in skin colour and eye colour etc. where people have adapted to the climate and culture etc.

Online Adami

« Reply #260 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »
The bible doesn't say that caines wife came from eve. You're assuming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:15 PM »

That's a plot hole that ALWAYS bugged me, but I hadn't seen anyone mention 'til now.

@Phil

But we clearly have about 4 million of divergent evolution from other primates.  When were they given souls?  Was it all Garden of Eden up in here up until ~150,000 years ago?  Where do you draw the line between homo sapiens and other species of the genus?  How can you reconcile this with other elements of natural history that clearly show the rest of Genesis has no bearing on our natural history?

"4 million of divergent evolution" 4 million of what?

look we're both arguing from different perspectives here. I'm arguing from what the bible tells me wich is: God created man and woman in his image" which is what separates humans from the primates.

On the note of evolution, you show me solid evidence of a species jump (or "macro" evolution) and I'll find evidence of a mistake or a hoax.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #262 on: November 01, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »

You're right. i'm assuming that when the Bible says God created Adam and Even and doesn't mention anyone else that there was in fact, no one else.

Online Adami

« Reply #263 on: November 01, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »

You're right. i'm assuming that when the Bible says God created Adam and Even and doesn't mention anyone else that there was in fact, no one else.

You'd think since they spend page after page mentioning every person from every generation in Gen, they'd at least make mention of Caines wife being born.

But they didn't. Strange eh?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #264 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »

@Phil

"4 million of divergent evolution" 4 million of what?

look we're both arguing from different perspectives here. I'm arguing from what the bible tells me wich is: God created man and woman in his image" which is what separates humans from the primates.

On the note of evolution, you show me solid evidence of a species jump (or "macro" evolution) and I'll find evidence of a mistake or a hoax.

Sorry, meant 4 million years. 

And a serious wut.  We have a number of observable examples of "macro"evolution (which is just plain old-fashioned evolution; I don't understand why creationists believe this is impossible considering the time scales we are dealing with).  Human evolution is fairly well mapped out, for one.  Evolution of land mammals similar to cows to whales is extremely well documented.  The development of most amphibians is pretty well preserved by the fossil record, too.

Offline j

« Reply #265 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:31 PM »

Well, this sentence is definitely true.

-J

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #266 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »

You'd think since they spend page after page mentioning every person from every generation in Gen, they'd at least make mention of Caines wife being born.

But they didn't. Strange eh?

Not really. They genealogy of Genesis 5 only covers the first born son. It doesn't even mention Cain but we know he existed.

Genesis goes through all of it's genealogies by the father. Adam to Noah, Noah to Abraham, Abraham to Joseph. Generally the wives only come up for storytelling purposes. So no I don't find it hard to believe that Eve had daughters.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:35 PM »
I'm just thinking this through right now. Cain's wife comes from Eve, and the father can also only be Adam. So, Cain's wife is actually his sister. The offspring of Cain has the option to either too mate with their own siblings, or with their parents.
Didn't know Eden was in West Virginia.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #268 on: November 01, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
I'm just thinking this through right now. Cain's wife comes from Eve, and the father can also only be Adam. So, Cain's wife is actually his sister. The offspring of Cain has the option to either too mate with their own siblings, or with their parents.

rumborak

Yea, phil already said that god gave them strong DNA so that they'd be ok. I guess the bible mentioned that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
Ah, I see. Phil doesn't really know what DNA is. Fair enough.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

« Reply #270 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »

rumborak

Just that it's broke and causes cancer cause we sinned.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #271 on: November 01, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »

rumborak

Back in the day 'keeping it in the family' wasn't a terribly big thing. It still happens (to a lesser extent) these days; Hindus marry Hindus, Jews marry Jews etc etc. When your prospects are limited you go with what you have.

These days incest is bad because there are options and not using them is just lazy.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #272 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »

rumborak

Just that it's broke and causes cancer cause we sinned.

you're very good at reducto ad absurdum

Online Adami

« Reply #273 on: November 01, 2010, 11:20:06 PM »

rumborak

Back in the day 'keeping it in the family' wasn't a terribly big thing. It still happens (to a lesser extent) these days; Hindus marry Hindus, Jews marry Jews etc etc. When your prospects are limited you go with what you have.

These days incest is bad because there are options and not using them is just lazy.

That's not why incest is bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #274 on: November 01, 2010, 11:22:02 PM »

The Bible has a bunch of problems but I seriously fail to see how this is one of them. Just seems like a case of filling in the blank.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Vivace

« Reply #275 on: November 01, 2010, 11:23:02 PM »
The bible is chock full of contradictions, some of which are being discussed in about 32578625983 other threads right now.  I agree there has to be a distinction made between man's words and God's.  But where can we see the "Divine Word" in its untainted form?  If man's interpretation of God's word is not reliable, then what is?

You simply just have to have faith that the word of God in the Bible is the best possible form even with man's imperfections. We either accept that what we have is correct or we anguish in the idea that we can never come to know God at all. Given that #2 for me again creates an impossible quandry, "why would an eternal good God creates mankind and make it impossible for us to know him?" The Divine Word of the Bible is untainted. It must be so but again, that's my faith talking and my trust in about a million plus people who are wiser than I and have given me the assurance that it truly is the Word of God.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Online Adami

« Reply #276 on: November 01, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »

The Bible has a bunch of problems but I seriously fail to see how this is one of them. Just seems like a case of filling in the blank.

Unless that blank is that the wife is his sister, then it's not very easy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #277 on: November 02, 2010, 12:17:42 AM »

Cain, Abel, and Seth weren't the only children Adam and Eve had.  One of the genealogies states that they had daughters as well.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #278 on: November 02, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »

It's Mesopotamian black humor  ::)

wtf is the internet?

Offline Vivace

« Reply #279 on: November 02, 2010, 10:55:41 AM »
Wow, has this thread digressed.  ???
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"