Author Topic: LaBrie on Chaos in Motion - thoughts?  (Read 10977 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: LaBrie on Chaos in Motion - thoughts?
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
The band had a discussion with James after the Six Degrees tour, not after the Octavarium tour. If James was ever "at risk", it was in 2002, not in 2005. They talked with him, they addressed things they didn't like about him and he changed and improved and all was well ever since (Well, more or less, considering what happened in 2010...).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »
What's silly is that Blind Faith and Surrounded sound better on the CD than on the DVD.
Well, the picture and sound are quite cheap from this tour. Its as if they took no money to master any of the elements, leaving it with camcorder quality. I mean Blind Faith is actually laughable. All the sound is horribly condensed and compressed, leaving him sounding terribly nasally. He didn't sound half that bad before or after, so my guess is the lack of quality contributed to the mess.
You guys do realize that the DVD audio for BF and Surrounded were taken from the video camera feeds, right? Here's the story from MP as to why the versions of BF and Surrounded on the CDs are different than what ended up on the DVD (which will also explain why the DVD audio for these two songs sounds worse than the others):
SH: Moving up to the Chaos in Motion live package that you released last year, I noticed that Blind Faith and Surrounded were alternate versions on the CD as opposed to the DVDs –

MP: There is a real story behind that, and I’m shocked that I’ve never been asked until now, although I should have known that if anyone was gonna ask, it was gonna be you! Putting together that set, I had based the song picks on the video footage I had. I looked at what was best represented on video and I picked the Toronto show for Blind Faith and Surrounded. I had my list of all the videos that were being edited for the video and I sent Kevin Shirley the list of what to mix the audio from. And he mixed what we thought was the Toronto show for Blind Faith and Surrounded. We synced it back up to the video, only to find out that it was from a completely different show – somebody sent him the wrong tapes, and we couldn’t find the Toronto audio. So the audio for Toronto was missing and here we were with this mixed audio of Blind Faith and Surrounded, and we had no idea what show it was even from. So even to this day, I have no idea of what show those specific performances are from.

SH: Yeah, because I noticed there’s no credit listed for them!

MP: You guys could probably go through the [audience bootleg recordings of the] shows and figure it out, but I have no idea.

Rai Beardsley: *jokingly* But we stopped taping…  *laughs*

MP: But we already had the video edited and so it was either cut the songs – which I didn’t want to do for the video – or we just go with the live audio mix for the video and we’ll use these mixes for the CD.

SH: The reason why I was asking was because I was thinking “if you’re picking out different performances for those songs, why didn’t you go ahead and hand pick each song for the CD as opposed to the DVD?”

MP: No – it was a total mystery. The Toronto tapes were missing, Kevin Shirley mixed the show, we lined it up, and I was like “why isn’t this matching?” We were trying to move the video and ultimately found out that it was a completely different show.

They didn't have the best equipment because to take that on the road for the multiple shows the footage was taken from would have been very difficult/too expensive. They had a vision of a collaboration of shows to put together on one DVD and it didn't go over as well as they might have thought. Hopefully they recognise their mistake and.
Honestly, they weren't even planning on doing a live release for this tour whatsoever. They had just done L@B for the 2004 tour, and Score for the 2005-2006 tour, so doing yet another live release for the next tour just seemed gratuitous. Later they reconsidered, I think in part due to the songs in the setlist, several of which had not had a live version released up until that point (besides the songs on SC).

Not sure if it was due to budgetary reasons, if the decision to do a live release happened well into the tour (MP had told me back in March of 2007 that they weren't doing a live release for the upcoming tour) or another reason, but they didn't shoot a show properly for live release. So that meant they had to go with whatever "pro-shot" video they had available from the tour, which ended up being the 6 shows that make up CiM. I remember right from the get-go that MP made it clear *not* to expect L@B/Score quality for CiM, but that it would be more along the lines of an official bootleg or 5YiaL, which also consisted largely of various "pro-shot" footage.

Here's a couple links to what MP said regarding the quality of CiM:
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2072619&mpage=5#2075270
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2137354&mpage=2#2139401
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:40:15 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
Hmm, interesting stuff. Cheers Scotty!  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
Souviner !

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
THIS
THREAD
HAS
RISEN UP
OUT OF THE BLACKNESS

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
When I first watched this, I had hoped that there'd be at least a passing shot of the front row during the Toronto songs. Alas, there was barely a glance.. It was my one chance at being a part of something every fan gets to see  :lol
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »
When I first watched this, I had hoped that there'd be at least a passing shot of the front row during the Toronto songs. Alas, there was barely a glance.. It was my one chance at being a part of something every fan gets to see  :lol

Same for me, I was at that gig. But unlike you I was in the middle section so I was pretty far back.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 08:29:23 PM »
Someone on this board said James sounded bad because of lazy pitch correction.  I remember asking if he could explain it because the only pitch correction I am familiar with is autotune and it didn't sound like that. The guy responded and explained and made sense.  I listened to it again, and some of the stuff matched up with what he said.  I don't remember much, but he said the vibrato in particular sounds so bad because the pitch correction was making it more extreme. 

If you were that guy, or if someone could resurrect that thread, maybe some more light could be shed on this pitch correction theory. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »
I remember right from the get-go that MP made it clear *not* to expect L@B/Score quality for CiM, but that it would be more along the lines of an official bootleg or 5YiaL, which also consisted largely of various "pro-shot" footage.

That is easy to say, but LaB and Score set the bar very high, and for the band's spokesman to tell us to expect something of lower quality was hard for some of us to swallow. Of course it was easy for us to not buy the product. But to make this a full release after a long string of high quality material is just.... odd.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
I remember I watched my videos from that tour and James was fantastic, especially surrounded, Scarred and Blind Faith which were on the DVD and they were pretty bad. My first thought about that, someone made a great effort to show us James is completely garbage vocalist and made a DVD for this.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
Someone on this board said James sounded bad because of lazy pitch correction.  I remember asking if he could explain it because the only pitch correction I am familiar with is autotune and it didn't sound like that. The guy responded and explained and made sense.  I listened to it again, and some of the stuff matched up with what he said.  I don't remember much, but he said the vibrato in particular sounds so bad because the pitch correction was making it more extreme. 

If you were that guy, or if someone could resurrect that thread, maybe some more light could be shed on this pitch correction theory.

I don't know the technical details, but, to me, the parts where James sounds really bad sound very. . . unnatural.  Like some vocal effect gone horribly awry. 

Offline pcs90

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 10:36:29 AM »
He has some good moments but a lot of it is unlistenable for me, vocally. Especially Blind Faith on both the DVD and CD...too bad because I love the studio version.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »

I remember what that guy posted, and I disagree completely with what he said.  What I hear on the DVD are not strange autotune or melodyne artifacts(not saying these plugins weren't used), but instead just different sounding vocal techniques/tones that JLB was using at the time for whatever reason.  He may have been sick for some of it and had to try different things to compensate...lots of possible reasons.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:54:43 AM by gm5k »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »
All I know, is that I saw them in Baltimore for the 'Chaos' tour, and then DC the following Memorial Day for the Prog Nation tour.  I used earplugs half the time, my wife used hers 90% of the time.  Good/bad vocals are more 'pronounced' with the plugs.  And we thought he sounded great.  Much better than what was offered on the CDs/DVD. 

(and one can see her standing up with arms raised on the DVD for the Balto crowd pic!)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »
I remember right from the get-go that MP made it clear *not* to expect L@B/Score quality for CiM, but that it would be more along the lines of an official bootleg or 5YiaL, which also consisted largely of various "pro-shot" footage.
That is easy to say, but LaB and Score set the bar very high, and for the band's spokesman to tell us to expect something of lower quality was hard for some of us to swallow. Of course it was easy for us to not buy the product. But to make this a full release after a long string of high quality material is just.... odd.
I understand, but I'd rather be made aware of the quality beforehand then find out afterward. At least he was upfront with this information. And again, from what I was told, they didn't have any intentions of doing an official live release for the Chaos in Motion tour, so getting this package is far better than nothing at all, IMO. Of course there was the possibility of just doing official bootleg releases instead - perhaps that would've been a better choice. But we have what we have, and again, I'm happy to have something instead of nothing.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »
I understand, but I'd rather be made aware of the quality beforehand then find out afterward. At least he was upfront with this information. And again, from what I was told, they didn't have any intentions of doing an official live release for the Chaos in Motion tour, so getting this package is far better than nothing at all, IMO. Of course there was the possibility of just doing official bootleg releases instead - perhaps that would've been a better choice. But we have what we have, and again, I'm happy to have something instead of nothing.

This thread inspired me to watch this DVD last night. I honestly thought it was great. I mean, sure, it doesn't sound as clean and crisp as Score and Budokan, but it's still nice to watch. And I don't think James sounds unlistenable either (although I will say he does sound a little... strange). But the thought I had was the same that Scotty had that I bolded. This absolutely should have been an official bootleg. There would be no reason to complain at that point. A lot of the video quality is on par with bootlegs, so it really surprises me that this is something you can buy in stores. It's enjoyable, but clearly not for the masses.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2015, 12:56:10 AM »

I remember what that guy posted, and I disagree completely with what he said.  What I hear on the DVD are not strange autotune or melodyne artifacts(not saying these plugins weren't used), but instead just different sounding vocal techniques/tones that JLB was using at the time for whatever reason.  He may have been sick for some of it and had to try different things to compensate...lots of possible reasons.

Yep, I believe that's me you're talking about. I cannot make this clear enough: I know for a fact they use pitch correction on several live recordings, including CIM  :biggrin: :P. But I would say that's only 75% of what made him sound bad. He also sounded very unnaturally nasally like he's singing through a telephone. Just bad quality and production I guess, sounding very unflattering in accordance with JLB's already somewhat-nasally tone.

But back to the BIG problem, pitch correction- YES they use it. As for what specific plugin or program they used- one can't know for sure by only listening. But that doesn't matter, they all do the same thing. In one form or another, they take the original recording of something and change the existing pitches being played or sung to new pitches.

The problem on CIM (as well as certain points of BT4W) is that this pitch "correction" was not applied correctly, essentially resulting in the final recording containing notes that are very bad-sounding, or off-pitch, that JLB originally sang as he intended to sing. More specifically:

1. Wide vibrato being tuned to notes (Pitch snapping).

Sing the note D. Now add vibrato. You are now actually wavering around a D to some degree; sliding just above the actual D pitch and/or just below. To visualize: "-" is a sustained D with no vibrato, and "~" is a D with vibrato. Depending on how wide you make this wave, you could even slide all the way to D#, Db, or even E or C, at points during that wave. JLB often goes very wide and slow with his vibrato (and some people don't like this). If you apply pitch correction to this incorrectly, it can change that smooth wave and make parts of the note snap up or down to those nearby pitches. On CIM, there are several instances where his vibrato is actually tuned to pitches other than what he was actually singing (making the vibrato sound ridiculous and out of control to both those who don't love his actual vibrato, and those like me who do).

2. Many Dream Theater vocal melodies include pitches outside the original key of the song. There are moments in CIM and BT4W where a note was tuned to the wrong pitch.

If someone unfamiliar with the song is doing the pitch correction, they might "correct" a correct note to a wrong note that is in the key. Or if they are using one of the programs/plugins where you just click "apply automatic tuning", drag the intensity somewhere from 0 to 100%, and set the key, then when a note comes up in the recording that the computer detects as not in the key, it will tune it to a note in the key.

3. Singing always incorporates hitting more than just the 12 pitches of the chromatic scale. It involves sliding up to and down from those pitches, and doing so at various speeds. Whether you think about it or not, the pitches your voice hits are on a continuum, unlike say, a piano which only has the ability to produce 12 pitches. When you take these sliding moments (including vibrato like in #1.) and tune them to just the 12 pitches on the piano, you end up with very wrong and obnoxious sounding robotized vocals. This happened a lot on CIM and, though not nearly as bad, also on BT4W.

I wish DT would send me their vocal tracks to make them sound good, if they insist on doing post-production fix-ups. I would put the utmost care into making the vocals come across exactly as evocative as James's iconic voice should always sound, and I'd do it for free, and it would sound a lot better than the vocals on the last live release.  :xbones :yarr

Offline gm5k

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 02:44:40 PM »
Like I said, I'm not saying pitch correction wasn't used.  I think it absolutely was used.  I just have doubts about the pitch correction being the main reason JLB sounded the way he did on this release.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 04:08:16 PM »
Thanks, Atliator.  I promise next time this topic comes up, I won't forget your name.  Everything you say makes a lot of sense.  Let's put that together with the fact that James has had VERY FEW bad performances since 2004ish.  In fact, about the only bad or perhaps more fairly put, "disappointing" performance I can think of was the most recent one at Wacken where he was getting over a sinus infection.  Even with that, he sounded great after the first 3 songs.  I think a lot of what makes him sound bad has to be the fact that he has a rather delicate voice.  He is one of the more unique vocalist.  If he has a bad mix, he can sound bad.  Even when he was back to performing great, he sounded a bit nasally at times, probably because he was using the passagio method as mentioned in the behind the scenes footage from WDADRU DVD.  With that method, he was way more consistent and could often hit all the notes, but there wasn't as much power behind his voice.  Starting in 2010, he went back to a different method and he couldn't hit the high notes as consistently (i.e. UAGM, "Praying for TIME to disappear" was screamed more than "sung") but he has more warmth and power to his voice. 

I totally buy your theory Atliator.  It was a bad mix, badly pitch corrected, and maybe James's technique was a bad combo for that particular recording.