Author Topic: LaBrie on Chaos in Motion - thoughts?  (Read 10976 times)

Offline Aniland

LaBrie on Chaos in Motion - thoughts?
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »
What do you think of James' performance on this record? I was thinking of doing a poll but eh, just tell.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

Re: LaBrie on Chaos in Motion - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
Pretty horrible. His singing is off-pitch, he uses way too much vibrato, his articulation is poor. At least he redeemed himself on the BCSL tour/album.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
Well, it's not like all the performances were at the same venue.  So, it's a mixed bag.  Some were good and some not so good.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:15:47 AM »
Well, it's not like all the performances were at the same venue.  So, it's a mixed bag.  Some were good and some not so good.
This. Most of his high notes weren't very good, though.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »
The quality of the DVD isn't good either so that may have contributed.

Offline MuumiPeikko

• The New Migrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »
I saw some bootlegs of this tour and at all of them James' vocal was much better that at Chaos in Motion. Seems like DVD combine all the worst performances  :( Honestly, I don't like this DVD. Set list is good, but the quality of video and sound just terrible  :-X I prefer they make BC&SL tour DVD and didn't make Chaos in Motion.
I know the truth is out there.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
Every good singer has some troubles performing at a level of James on a nightly basis. That combined with equipment that is lackluster for touring, it isn't his best effort.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Some songs are really good (Take the time, Panic attack, ITPOE, Lines in the sand), and some are pretty much unlistenable (Surrounded, Scarred). It's not his best DVD, he sounds tired on some of the songs, he lacks some energy, but at least most of the tones he hits are fine. Unlike Live at Budokan, where he's off-pitch in quite a bunch of tracks.

But we all have to agree that he rules on Score, he's just perfect.  :metal

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
I think that Take the Time (was it from Buenos Aires?) and the Orpheum performance in May 2008 (TMOLS, Forsaken, Schmedley Wilcox) are very good performances.

Well, it's not like all the performances were at the same venue.  So, it's a mixed bag.  Some were good and some not so good.
This
The quality of the DVD isn't good either so that may have contributed.
and this

One must also consider that the DVD shows were picked by their video quality, then sound quality and after that performance, while keeping variety.

The Orpheum songs are the best ones on the DVD, awesome video and sound quality, worthy of being on one-off show on DVD.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
Yes, Score could very well be the greatest vocal performances recorded of all time. It could also be a big reason why the rest of the band decided on keeping James with his degrading performances, and if they ever did think about ditching him for that, it was a good decision they didn't cause he kicks serious ass on BC&SL and on the tour.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:31:58 AM »
Well, the picture and sound are quite cheap from this tour. Its as if they took no money to master any of the elements, leaving it with camcorder quality. I mean Blind Faith is actually laughable. All the sound is horribly condensed and compressed, leaving him sounding terribly nasally. He didn't sound half that bad before or after, so my guess is the lack of quality contributed to the mess.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »
Pretty horrible. His singing is off-pitch, he uses way too much vibrato, his articulation is poor. At least he redeemed himself on the BCSL tour/album.

I can't even watch the thing, save for ItPoE and Shmedley Wilcox.  Blind Faith actually comes off sounding more like Ethel Merman than JLB. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
Meh, as far as I understood, biggest cause of the nasal sounding voice was something with the techs, not LaBrie himself. In fact, if you heard the Download Festival 2009 concert, he sounds as bad there, but he sounded great on any other concert before and after it on BCSL tour. Could be the same case.

Either way, it is kinda bad. His voice had a drastic uplift during 2004-2006, I guess some of it had to be reworked after the few months between their last concert at 2006 and CiM tour, and I guess some of it had gotten better too. It was just a mixed bag of everything, especially the poorly recorded performances, so you can't judge him. The expectations mostly were he'll get better at the next tour, and they were correct.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
What's silly is that Blind Faith and Surrounded sound better on the CD than on the DVD.  I remember being REALLY disappointed with this DVD.  Watching bootleg vids from the same tour, I KNEW he could do better!  Like Adami said though, he really redeemed himself on the BC&SL tour.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
Not terrible, but definitely below par.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
I still feel some fault goes to the mix.  His voice sounded "Tinny", in the high treble range and a weird reverb also.  I think the effects played a part in alot of it.  That being said, Labries performance on Surrounded and Scarred, was a nightmare to remember.  :biggrin: *pun*

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
As amazing as Surrounded '07 is musically, JLB's performance on that song is 1 giant cringe.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
I haven't found time to watch my CiM DVD's. If it's as bad as people say I wonder why they didn't work on getting a better set videoed.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 01:56:44 PM »
What's silly is that Blind Faith and Surrounded sound better on the CD than on the DVD.

On the studio CD or the CiM CD?  I'd hope a studio track would sound better than a live rendition.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
They didn't have the best equipment because to take that on the road for the multiple shows the footage was taken from would have been very difficult/too expensive. They had a vision of a collaboration of shows to put together on one DVD and it didn't go over as well as they might have thought. Hopefully they recognise their mistake and.

Also, I wonder if we would be having this discussion if we weren't gifted with such gems as LAB and Score before CiM

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

Also, I wonder if we would be having this discussion if we weren't gifted with such gems as LAB and Score before CiM

Probably not, everyone would be wanking at the 'rawsome licks' performed by 'The Bear'.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »
:lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »
I think that Take the Time (was it from Buenos Aires?)

Bangkok 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:04 PM »
Yeah, I often can't stand the CIM recordings. JR's 'pig sounds' are way too loud in most of the mixes, JP is making tiny mistakes all over the place (usually in the super fast parts), and JLB sounds terrible. But I forgive them. Because they are Dream Theater.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
Besides the terrible DVD production I thought Labrie was okay.  He just sounded different, really different, some songs better, some songs not.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »
Surrounded sounds bad probably because of the sound quality. It's not just james. JR in his intro sounds compressed and thick. I like the way james sings "but i will hold."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Bad, but not worse than it was on OiaL
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »
I actually really like Chaos in Motion.  I think that James was definitely off.  He was worse than he was in Score, but better than he was in LaB.  It is a shame that a masterpiece like Surrounded was tainted by a couple vocal hiccups.

You know, sometimes James goes into this live tone which is really not good.  You never hear it on a studio album.  He does it whenever he's singing a high part.  I really don't know why he does it -- maybe it's less damaging to his voice?  I dunno, but it's not pleasant.  For example, the "not intending to end" verse of Innoncence Faded in Score.  He's spot on pitch-wise, but his tone is like that of an old woman.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
Wow, epic ending note in Surrounded. Not in an entirely good way though. Though I've seen them live on that tour, and I recall JLB in much better shape.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
NECRO

WHY
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »
nice thread 7/10 would read again
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
Yeah, I often can't stand the CIM recordings. JR's 'pig sounds' are way too loud in most of the mixes, JP is making tiny mistakes all over the place (usually in the super fast parts), and JLB sounds terrible. But I forgive them. Because they are Dream Theater.

Actually that's one reason why I actually like CiM, I can clearly hear what JR is playing, besides you can hear him almost isolated in one of the channels in the 5.1 mix. I love that.

PS: I know we are (or were) talking about JLB's performance, but I wanted to say that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
NECRO

WHY

You have the power to end this.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »
Yes, Score could very well be the greatest vocal performances recorded of all time. It could also be a big reason why the rest of the band decided on keeping James with his degrading performances, and if they ever did think about ditching him for that, it was a good decision they didn't cause he kicks serious ass on BC&SL and on the tour.

Score saved James???

James was great on both the ToT and 8V tours. He shouldn't have been in danger. Have you heard otherwise?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol