Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179751 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1575 on: July 01, 2021, 10:14:41 PM »
Was just watching an interview with Andi. He mentioned that the band's original running order had Fear Of The Fallen as the first track, but the record company wanted Out For The Glory.

I think they made the right call on that one. The transition from the big anthemic outro of Out For The Glory to the acoustic intro of Fear Of The Fallen is probably my favourite transition on the album.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1576 on: July 02, 2021, 02:04:18 AM »
Robot king snuck up on me and I cannot stop replaying it for two days now. Why is this song so good?

Also, the fact that there is a song called Robot king just delights me. It's so Helloween to be cracked up by a song title.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:43:28 AM by Mladen »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1577 on: July 02, 2021, 02:24:16 AM »
Yea I love that about Helloween, it's like bandmeeting: "let's do a song about a robot....that is a king with the title Robot King!" Everyone: Hell yeah!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1578 on: July 04, 2021, 07:44:31 AM »
Robot King…any relation to Pleasure Drone?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1579 on: July 06, 2021, 05:10:40 PM »
So I was just watching another Kiske interview on youtube, and the guy asked him if there were plans to do another Unisonic album.

Kiske mentioned that before the Pumpkins United was happening, they were starting to put plans together to make a third album, but that Kai was constantly off doing other things like his Hansen & Friends and reissuing some Gamma Ray stuff.

So they approached Gus G, and he initially said he'd do it, and they even started exchanging ideas. He was playing with Ozzy at the time, but pulled out because he didn't want to be a replacement guitarist in another band. He would end up leaving Ozzy's band and he came back to the Unisonic guys, but by that time, the Helloween reunion was underway. A blown chance..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: July 06, 2021, 05:46:28 PM »
Kiske and Gus G would have been an interesting collaboration.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1581 on: July 06, 2021, 05:48:49 PM »
Yeah definitely. Unisonic isn't Kai's band. He was a late addition to the lineup.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1582 on: July 06, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »
Finally figured out why the chorus melody of Best Time sounded so familiar to me, it’s the same melody as one of the main melodies in DT’s In the Name of God (10:24) except for the last 2 notes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1583 on: July 06, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
I can see that.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1584 on: July 06, 2021, 08:34:18 PM »
Out for the Glory is such a fantastic song! Wasn’t a big fan at first because of the Eagle Fly Free chorus "reprise" but now I love it! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1585 on: July 06, 2021, 08:39:04 PM »
Out for the Glory is such a fantastic song! Wasn’t a big fan at first because of the Eagle Fly Free chorus "reprise" but now I love it! :metal

It took me a couple of listens to get that song down.

I love the part after the solos at 5:38 where where Kiske sings "I won't wake up". It like takes it to another level.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #1586 on: July 06, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »
Yeah it’s a great part and the solos right before it are awesome too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: July 06, 2021, 08:46:02 PM »
Probably time I give this album another shot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1588 on: July 06, 2021, 08:48:09 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1589 on: July 06, 2021, 08:50:19 PM »
With the new Helloween album, I've been listening to their entire discography.

I just made a Helloween-Deris Era playlist on my iPod and 's 56 songs and 5 1/2 hours long!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: July 07, 2021, 12:39:38 AM »
With the new Helloween album, I've been listening to their entire discography.

I just made a Helloween-Deris Era playlist on my iPod and 's 56 songs and 5 1/2 hours long!

Too short.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1591 on: July 07, 2021, 02:46:17 PM »
 :lol

So I forget which interview mentioned that Out Of The Glory was not brand new, but I just watched an interview with Dani, and he mentioned the first time he recorded drums for it were for Gambling With The Devil. Then they tried it again, (and he rerecorded his parts) a couple of albums later. He said Weiki added a bunch of stuff for this version and they finally made it work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1592 on: July 07, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »
:lol

So I forget which interview mentioned that Out Of The Glory was not brand new, but I just watched an interview with Dani, and he mentioned the first time he recorded drums for it were for Gambling With The Devil. Then they tried it again, (and he rerecorded his parts) a couple of albums later. He said Weiki added a bunch of stuff for this version and they finally made it work.

I thought right away that song felt very similar to The Saints from the Gambling album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: July 07, 2021, 08:53:12 PM »
Ran through the new album this morning in the car. (Well, I'm up to Skyfall) and I enjoyed it much more than when I first got it.  The production isn't as distracting as it was at first although it's still not great.  I actually like that the band have just continued on the style they have been doing in the Deris era.  While I don't think this album is up there with the BTR-Gambling run, it fits pretty well in the 7 Sinners/SOOF mould with a bit more consistency. 

Best Times still might possibly be my fav, but I may be alone here, but I actually think Down in the Dumps could be the best song here.  This song is hidden away at the back but basically sums up every era of Helloween.  The verses is pure melodic old school, the chorus is Deris era of all kinds and the instrumental section brings Rabbit earlier Deris era to mind.  I can hear parts of Gambling, Hell, BTR and even MOTR/TTOTO.  Pure perfect mix of what the band is about. 

I will say, Weiki has upped his game with the songwriting on this album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: July 08, 2021, 05:54:17 AM »
Alright, Skyfall is decent but it doesn't wow me.  Does feel a bit kind of thrown on the end to somewhat warrant Kai's involvement.

Now I mention Down in the Dumps but my fav actually might be Golden Times.  That's some brilliant classic sounding Helloween.  Best chorus on the album I think.  Fuck me why this is a bonus track. 

Top 3 for me are;

Golden Times
Down in the Dumps
Best Time

Controversial top 3 but I make no apologies.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1595 on: July 08, 2021, 06:23:21 AM »
Down in the Dumps is good, and I love the intro!

Golden Times is indeed excellent! I would have happily traded Cyanide or Angels for Golden Times on the regular album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: July 08, 2021, 06:24:30 AM »
Down in the Dumps is good, and I love the intro!

Golden Times is indeed excellent! I would have happily traded Cyanide or Angels for Golden Times on the regular album.

Yeah, it's baffling why it's not a regular album track.  Would love to hear how Andi would tackle it too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1597 on: July 08, 2021, 04:47:09 PM »
I'll say this..when I have a 5 minute errand to run, and I can only listen to one song, it is always Down In The Dumps. There are so many melodic vocal lines and Michael and Andi sound amazing together. I love the subtle shifts in who's taking the lead in the vocal mix.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: July 08, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »
I'll say this..when I have a 5 minute errand to run, and I can only listen to one song, it is always Down In The Dumps. There are so many melodic vocal lines and Michael and Andi sound amazing together. I love the subtle shifts in who's taking the lead in the vocal mix.

Those high notes Kiske reaches near the end are damn impressive too.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1599 on: July 09, 2021, 05:08:34 AM »
I am not a huge fan of the chorus in Down in the Dumps, but everything else is great, same for Golden Times (but I don't dislike the choruses either).

I actually prefer the alternate vocal mix of Skyfall, of which vocal duties are more equally divided amongst the three singers.

Also, I am not super familiar with Halloween music, so I went on to listen to some albums I never heard. I think I prefer the more modern albums with Andi. But that is partially because some (emphasis on some, and some includes Keeper pt 2 for example) of that late 80's/early 90's German speed/power metal sound that I am not overly fond of. It often sounds thin/demo-ish to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: July 09, 2021, 06:12:17 AM »
I'll post this here;

New live video from upcoming Gamma Ray CD/DVD.

https://youtu.be/texJxGWwADg

Damn good.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1601 on: July 09, 2021, 07:11:30 AM »
I'll post this here;

Damn good.

That does sound really good.

I only really know Land of the Free as an album and a bunch of individual Gamma Ray songs. What is a good Gamma Ray album to check out aside from Land of the Free (which I find excellent)?

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1602 on: July 09, 2021, 07:26:53 AM »
Somewhere Out In Space would be my next stop, my two cents.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1603 on: July 09, 2021, 08:19:46 AM »
Finally heard the new album and I’m super impressed. After MGGR, which sounded like leftover tracks thrown together, I was worried the reunion came a few albums too late. But no, they have really upped their game on this one. And this is from someone who was never a huge Kiske fan, but a HUGE Deris fan.
The songwriting and production goes for something more then just the basic super heavy sound theyve gone with the last ten years or so. Out For The Glory is the perfect intro song. The album sounds glorious. There is so much colour to the songs. If I had to compare it to any albums it would be Keepers Legacy,  but so much more.

Online nick_z

« Reply #1604 on: July 09, 2021, 08:45:23 AM »

I only really know Land of the Free as an album and a bunch of individual Gamma Ray songs. What is a good Gamma Ray album to check out aside from Land of the Free (which I find excellent)?

I haven't been following Gamma Ray for a long time now, but I would definitely recommend the albums with Ralph Scheepers (i.e. the first 3 Gamma Ray albums) - especially the first (Heading for Tomorrow) and the third (Insanity and Genius)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1605 on: July 09, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
I'll post this here;

Damn good.

Wait..who's the fucking dude singing?

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1606 on: July 09, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »
I'll post this here;

Damn good.

Wait..who's the fucking dude singing?

Frank Beck has been Gamma Ray's second lead singer since 2015. https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gamma-ray-hires-frank-beck-as-its-new-lead-singer/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1607 on: July 09, 2021, 01:21:14 PM »
Huh..I guess I missed that. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: July 09, 2021, 04:54:39 PM »
Huh..I guess I missed that. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

When it was all announced I was not pleased with it, Kai is Gamma Ray for me of course.  They obviously haven't released any studio material with him and I haven't followed any live stuff with him because I wasn't interested, but this performance, I quite surprised with.  Kai still sings most of the time and they sound great together.  Looking forward to this live album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: July 09, 2021, 04:55:41 PM »
I'll post this here;

Damn good.

Most albums are quality, but Powerplant and Somewhere Out in Space.

A good introduction is Blast From the Past though, great re-recorded compilation.

Saying all that, No World Order is my personal fav.