Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179777 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1540 on: June 25, 2021, 03:12:22 PM »
Coming around on this album, definitely their best in a while. It's not classic Helloween, obviously, but I like more than half of the songs here which is good. I respect Deris, but Kiske really makes this album shine for me. It's not even the high notes, it's just his voice works really well as a counterpoint to Andi's rougher voice.

I love him all throughout his range.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1541 on: June 25, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
That’s the alternative vocals mix that was released with the Skyfall Edit single.
Ok, thanks. I thought it was diffrent but couldn't find info on it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1542 on: June 25, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »
'Helloween' has debuted on the official German Charts at number 1.
First time ever the band has been at the top of their home country charts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1543 on: June 25, 2021, 04:24:35 PM »
'Helloween' has debuted on the official German Charts at number 1.
First time ever the band has been at the top of their home country charts.

I watched an interview with Ken Mary last night and apparently the new F&J is at #9. Germany doing it right!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1544 on: June 25, 2021, 07:40:07 PM »
The part at :50 of Mass Pollution totally reminds me of Alex Harvey.

And :20 of Angels feels straight out of Heaven's Cove.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1545 on: June 25, 2021, 08:24:11 PM »
'Mass Pollution' reminds of 'Riding On The Wind', the riff and vocals in the first chorus, sounds somewhat similar to my ears  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1546 on: June 25, 2021, 08:31:45 PM »
'Mass Pollution' reminds of 'Riding On The Wind', the riff and vocals in the first chorus, sounds somewhat similar to my ears  :metal

Hmm..I'm trying, brother. :lol

Riding On The Wind is a Top 10 Priest tune for me.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1547 on: June 25, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1548 on: June 25, 2021, 08:57:17 PM »
Coming around on this album, definitely their best in a while. It's not classic Helloween, obviously, but I like more than half of the songs here which is good. I respect Deris, but Kiske really makes this album shine for me. It's not even the high notes, it's just his voice works really well as a counterpoint to Andi's rougher voice.

I think my favorite line from Kiske on the entire album is in Skyfall where he goes: "The dark, the fear of the night
And the pain settles down deep within"

Followed by Andi's amazing "Coming home to a place still unknown And the hope as I dream is undying"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1549 on: June 25, 2021, 08:59:28 PM »

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1550 on: June 25, 2021, 09:15:30 PM »
https://youtu.be/BRlKD1-QALY

:metal

Love the comments.

Popeye being strangled.
 :rollin

My sister asked me many years ago, why do they call it death metal?'
I answered, 'because the singer sounds like he is being strangled to death'.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1551 on: June 26, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »
The album is coming together for me. I like how it doesn't pander to nostalgic people - here's another Eagle, here's another Dr. Stein.... it's "just" a modern Helloween album with the added benefit of Kiske's vocals, and a monumental epic by Kai Hansen. Solid stuff.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1552 on: June 26, 2021, 05:51:50 PM »
My CD was delivered today!!!

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1553 on: June 26, 2021, 05:57:16 PM »
Got mine last week from CD Japan, waiting for the vinyl versions now.
More restrictions where I live so I can't travel to my 'local' metal shop in person.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: June 27, 2021, 04:18:34 AM »
My CD was delivered today!!!

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1555 on: June 27, 2021, 09:06:09 AM »
To this day, that is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I get choked up only looking at the GIF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1556 on: June 28, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »
This album grows on me every day. I really dig the old school feel to it while still sounding fresh. I love the section 4:00 in Out for the Glory with the riffs and bass lines and King Diamond:esque screams.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1557 on: June 28, 2021, 02:45:03 PM »
Check out what arrived for me today with a couple of other purchases. Click to enlarge. This is the prettiest looking vinyl I've ever owned, hats off to the band for such awe inspiring artwork.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1558 on: June 28, 2021, 03:09:18 PM »
That looks amazing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1559 on: June 28, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
Check out what arrived for me today with a couple of other purchases. Click to enlarge. This is the prettiest looking vinyl I've ever owned, hats off to the band for such awe inspiring artwork.

Damn, is that the "regular" picture disc version? I usually don't buy picture discs but that looks ace.

I love that recently some bands have been returning to good artwork.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1560 on: June 28, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »
It is this version. I wasn't expecting to get it so quickly. I ordered it exactly one week ago (Monday night) and it shipped Friday. https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/2pic-lp/helloween-helloween-picture-vinyl-import-.html

I'm not even going to play it. This thing is staying in its package forever and will just be taken out to admire occasionally. That's the only reason I buy new vinyls; I only listen to 'older' vinyls on my record player.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #1561 on: June 28, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »
Picture Disc vinyl are great to look at, but quality is poor and I never play mine.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: June 28, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
That's a magnificent looking picture disc indeed.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1563 on: June 29, 2021, 01:50:59 AM »
The best thing about it is Cyanide leading into Orbit and Skyfall. Damn, I wish Down in the dumps was among the bonus tracks on the CD issue as well.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: June 29, 2021, 05:02:42 AM »
The best thing about it is Cyanide leading into Orbit and Skyfall. Damn, I wish Down in the dumps was among the bonus tracks on the CD issue as well.  :lol

That's interesting with that tracklisting.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1565 on: June 29, 2021, 07:26:50 AM »
Down in the Dumps is one of my favorites. It's such a fierce song and Andi's screams are the cherry on the top.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1566 on: June 29, 2021, 04:32:28 PM »

That's interesting with that tracklisting.

I love Down In The Dumps. The vocals on that are ridiculous and the vocal harmonies and melodies are great. If I could make one switch, I'd swap out Cyanide for Golden Times.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1567 on: June 29, 2021, 07:39:00 PM »
This album is a clinic in vocal harmonies. In an interview with Kiske, he said that Dennis Ward was basically in charge of the vocals. Instead of the guys hammering out which parts they'd sing, Ward created a roadmap of who'd sing what. They said that 60% of the vocals were as planned by Ward, but that the other 40% were decided in studio after hearing each singer sing.

Kiske also said the Kai expected to sing Skyfall, and was pretty adamant about it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1568 on: June 30, 2021, 04:06:17 AM »
I really liked Skyfall when I first heard it, but as I like it more with each listening, I now really love the song. Same applies to the entire album to some extent.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1569 on: June 30, 2021, 04:27:59 AM »
I really liked Skyfall when I first heard it, but as I like it more with each listening, I now really love the song. Same applies to the entire album to some extent.
Yea it's been a real grower the whole album for me.

Right now favourites are:

Out for the Glory (2:30  :metal)
Fear of the Fallen (4:30 layered vocal section)
Robot King (Love the straight to the point chorus with the high vocals)
Golden Times
Skyfall

This album is a clinic in vocal harmonies. In an interview with Kiske, he said that Dennis Ward was basically in charge of the vocals. Instead of the guys hammering out which parts they'd sing, Ward created a roadmap of who'd sing what. They said that 60% of the vocals were as planned by Ward, but that the other 40% were decided in studio after hearing each singer sing.

Kiske also said the Kai expected to sing Skyfall, and was pretty adamant about it.
Yea there's so many great vocal layers in the mix. Who is actually singing the really high pitched parts?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1570 on: June 30, 2021, 06:09:06 AM »
Who is actually singing the really high pitched parts?

Most likely it's Kiske, but I think Deris can get up there too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1571 on: June 30, 2021, 07:03:46 PM »
Also, Dani recorded this album on Ingo's drums.
Oh interesting, the drums sounds so huge especially the toms. I wonder what kind of afterwork that's been done from the acoustic stage.

Found a video of Daniel playing on the Keepers kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZH50QM6GQ&ab_channel=Helloween

Also stumbled upon some footage of Ingo in action. As a drummer sometimes i'm blown away how ahead of it's time some were, I mean hearing someone blasting away on doublepedals in 1989 wasn't exactly as common as it is today. Altough I was 7 at that time so how would I know I guess. :lol

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free (Ingo Schwichtenberg) 1989 Live in Japan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1572 on: June 30, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »
Also stumbled upon some footage of Ingo in action. As a drummer sometimes i'm blown away how ahead of it's time some were, I mean hearing someone blasting away on doublepedals in 1989 wasn't exactly as common as it is today. Altough I was 7 at that time so how would I know I guess. :lol

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free (Ingo Schwichtenberg) 1989 Live in Japan

I've seen that before and yes, it is ridiculous. :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1573 on: July 01, 2021, 07:48:15 AM »
This popped up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZX3kwkAaNs

Full concert from the Master of the Rings tour. Could be fun...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1574 on: July 01, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
This popped up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZX3kwkAaNs

Full concert from the Master of the Rings tour. Could be fun...

I was watching part of that the other day. Very cool.

Was just watching an interview with Andi. He mentioned that the band's original running order had Fear Of The Fallen as the first track, but the record company wanted Out For The Glory.

Down In The Dumps continues to grow on me. Such great melodic vocal lines throughout the entire song.