Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179802 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1435 on: June 18, 2021, 05:31:36 AM »
Only song that didn't click instantly was "Angels". It's weird and different, and I love that they are experimenting! But being in between of "Mass Pollution" and "Rise Without Chains" which are both anthemic rockers, it creates a jarring break from the power metal goodness.
Tastes are an amazing thing, Angels is easily the standout for me so far. A melodic approach that's right up my alley, more so than most modern Helloween.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1436 on: June 18, 2021, 06:09:15 AM »
Only song that didn't click instantly was "Angels". It's weird and different, and I love that they are experimenting! But being in between of "Mass Pollution" and "Rise Without Chains" which are both anthemic rockers, it creates a jarring break from the power metal goodness.
Tastes are an amazing thing, Angels is easily the standout for me so far. A melodic approach that's right up my alley, more so than most modern Helloween.

Yes! I think Angels is a mini masterpiece.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1437 on: June 18, 2021, 06:37:11 AM »
I listened to a lot of Helloween's catalogue back about 15 years ago, but the only albums that remained on my ipod were The Keeper of the Seven Keys albums (surprisingly).

There's clearly a bit of a buzz around this album, with TAC leading the charge  :lol  so I guess I should give it a listen and join in. I'm preparing my palette currently by listening to Galneryus' new album

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1438 on: June 18, 2021, 07:18:04 AM »
I am currently listening to Angels. Given that plenty of songs on the album deliver the good ol' classic Helloween, it's great to have a handful of tracks that leave you wondering where they came from. Angels is one of them.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1439 on: June 18, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »
Disclaimer: I like Helloween (I have all of their albums), but I'm not a huge fan (meaning: it's not like I was counting down the days to this release)

So, I don't think I'm too affected by sentimental factors (Kiske, Hansen, the good old times etc.). Well, the impression after the first listen is very, VERY positive. This sounds like a very well crafted album, with great songs and melodies. It seems to me it successfully manages to be "classic" and interesting at the same time. Not phoned in at all. Lots to take in, though (just in term of sheer amount of music!), so I'm excited for further listens.

Also agree with the positive comments on Angels (real cool progression in the chorus), and enjoyed the catchiness of Best Time.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1440 on: June 18, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
Finally decide to check out the two bonus tracks on the EURO 2CD edition.
Golden Times is classic speed metal Helloween and Kiske best vocals from this era, could have and maybe should have been on the album proper.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1441 on: June 18, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
Finally decide to check out the two bonus tracks on the EURO 2CD edition.
Golden Times is classic speed metal Helloween and Kiske best vocals from this era, could have and maybe should have been on the album proper.

I did too. Yes, Golden Times is as classic as it gets. Maybe "too" classic, and that's why it's not on the album proper? Agreed on Kiske's vocals being excellent.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1442 on: June 18, 2021, 02:34:33 PM »
Ok, second listening was definitively better. Skyfall is by far the best song, there's hardly competition. Out for Glory is a cool opener, and Fear of the Fallen is a solid track. Best Time is cool, but reminds me of Unisonic's Exceptional quite a bit. The rest is a bit of a blur after two listenings but I'm sure the songs will grow on me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1443 on: June 18, 2021, 03:00:25 PM »
Definitely gets better with each play, I've heard it almost 10 times and it's grown on me each time.
BTW Japan only bonus track 'We Are Real' is the weakest of all the re-united songs.
Kai takes lead vocals (Deris is heard in the chorus) and it sounds like an average Gamma Ray song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1444 on: June 18, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »
I stumbled upon Golden Times last night and gave it a listen. My initial thought was that it didn't deserve to be on the album. I'll hit it again tonight.

Best Time is cool, but reminds me of Unisonic's Exceptional quite a bit.

Oh absolutely. I thought the same right away.

Skyfall is by far the best song, there's hardly competition.

It is so good.

EDIT: Just gave Golden Times a couple more listens and yes..I have no idea what I was thinking. That's a great tune. Apparently another Sasha tune as well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 06:15:47 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1445 on: June 18, 2021, 06:22:54 PM »
It feels strange complaining about anything considering how much this album fucking rules, but yeah, I wish "Golden Times" were on the actual album rather than "Indestructible" or "Cyanide." Most of the album is high-energy and loud, and so I feel this pleasant, calmer song would have been a nice breather. At least it came with the iTunes download.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1446 on: June 18, 2021, 06:27:22 PM »
I would've liked a few more lead vocals parts from Kai. The only other thing I would've changed is that I would've liked the opening track to feature Andi as well, kind of like a united front from the jump. Out For The Glory seems to be all Kiske.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1447 on: June 18, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »
Just picked up the 2cd deluxe version.  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1448 on: June 18, 2021, 06:45:13 PM »

:metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: June 18, 2021, 06:52:09 PM »

:metal :metal

Surprised we could get it so easily here.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1450 on: June 18, 2021, 07:00:53 PM »
"ROBOT KING!!!!"

That's gonna be so fun to sing live.

I am loving how the lows are mixed on this release, especially the Toms.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: June 18, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
Out and about solo this morning so straight in the car.  Promising start.  The first four songs is a great mix of the band's styles and eras.  Not sure on the production and mix yet but some cd's don't seem to sound their best in my car.  Saying that, I haven't been the biggest fan of the production on the last few anyway.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1452 on: June 18, 2021, 07:17:52 PM »
My copy of the CD won’t be shipped until between July 6 - 12. Amazon Canada is really dropping the ball with new releases lately. So until then I will experience the album vicariously via this thread.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1453 on: June 18, 2021, 07:23:06 PM »
Out and about solo this morning so straight in the car.  Promising start.  The first four songs is a great mix of the band's styles and eras.  Not sure on the production and mix yet but some cd's don't seem to sound their best in my car.  Saying that, I haven't been the biggest fan of the production on the last few anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the album sounds, as I already stated compression isn't too noticeable.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1454 on: June 18, 2021, 07:42:41 PM »
Two songs that I really find interesting are Down In the Dumps and Robot King. Both are Weikath songs.
I like how they both integrate both singers, even Kai in DITD. The choruses are a bit clunky in each, but the musicianship and arrangements are amazing. 4:57 of Robot King is a classy AF touch.

I think both songs are amazing.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1455 on: June 18, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »
Part of the Helloween charm has always been the clunky bits, the daft lyrics, the goofy song titles and the humour.

I am now wondering did they do whole song takes with each singer?
See which fitted best and saved them for the official album.
That would lead to believe of other versions in the future ('Tour Edition') of an album of alternate vocals mixes.

Wow 'Golden Times' is classic Helloween, could have been lifted straight from the Keeper album's and written by Sascha  :o

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1456 on: June 18, 2021, 08:06:26 PM »
I am now wondering did they do whole song takes with each singer?
See which fitted best and saved them for the official album.
That would lead to believe of other versions in the future ('Tour Edition') of an album of alternate vocals mixes.

I watched a number of interviews this week and it seemed that they did just that, or something along those lines.

I mean, just look at the Skyfall Alternate Vocals Mix..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNwBdOUP4s

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: June 18, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised how good the album sounds, as I already stated compression isn't too noticeable.

Yeah as I said, could be my system in the car.  It does sound an improvement over the last few.  My stereo at home will help too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: June 18, 2021, 10:43:46 PM »
Just finished Cyanide.  A couple of songs to go but not sure what to think.  It's very good, but first listen didn't blow me away.

Tim, up to Cyanide, I don't really have an issue with the split of vocals.  Kiske definitely more prominent, but I kind of expected that.  But, Andi may be shortchanged, but not by much.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1459 on: June 18, 2021, 11:03:51 PM »
I was happy with the first listen and glad I wasn't blown away, those albums for me have a very short life span.
I've listened around 10 times and it's definitely getting better with each play, I'm hearing more things that I had previously not noticed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: June 18, 2021, 11:56:54 PM »
There's a cool riddle in the booklet where you find hidden pumpkins and numbers and then line up the cd's on a couple of cipher wheels to get a code or something to get something online.  I'll do that later sometime.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: June 18, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »
I was happy with the first listen and glad I wasn't blown away, those albums for me have a very short life span.
I've listened around 10 times and it's definitely getting better with each play, I'm hearing more things that I had previously not noticed.

Yeah, I'm really not going to judge at all yet.  Still lots to hear.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1462 on: June 19, 2021, 12:18:58 AM »
The production and mix are surprisingly very good Charlie Bauerfeind has done a great job with the production and the mix (by Ronald Prent) is super clear.
Looking at RP history, he has done a lot of pop, which is evident by just how clear everything is on this record.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1463 on: June 19, 2021, 03:11:00 AM »
I've only listened to the album twice and thought Andi was well featured. There are a couple of tracks that are just Andi, if I recall correctly, such as Cyanide and Mass polution. Those songs remind me of the more recent albums, which is great, I wouldn't want the album to be 80s Helloween all over again.

I have noticed, however, that there is less Kai Hansen on vocals, but I do not mind. I don't think they put that much effort into splitting the vocals equally. The priority was to write awesome music, regardless of who is singing which section.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1464 on: June 19, 2021, 03:14:28 AM »
Does Kai even want to be a "full" singer, considering that even in Gamma Ray he gave up vocals recently and they hired a new singer?

Maybe I misunderstood the situation but the feel I get is that, yes, there are three singers, but it's actually two singers plus one. Andi and Michi are the singers, Kai is there just as an added bonus, and is not to be considered a full singer with equal status with Andi and Michi (and therefore with his vocals to be expected to be 33% of the album or slightly less). They are the two frontmen, Kai is just the wild card, the jolly, the extra one.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1465 on: June 19, 2021, 04:30:20 AM »
Does Kai even want to be a "full" singer, considering that even in Gamma Ray he gave up vocals recently and they hired a new singer?

Maybe I misunderstood the situation but the feel I get is that, yes, there are three singers, but it's actually two singers plus one. Andi and Michi are the singers, Kai is there just as an added bonus, and is not to be considered a full singer with equal status with Andi and Michi (and therefore with his vocals to be expected to be 33% of the album or slightly less). They are the two frontmen, Kai is just the wild card, the jolly, the extra one.

Yeah, I never expected Kai to do much vocals at all.  I think he's actually featured more than I expected.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1466 on: June 19, 2021, 04:40:58 AM »

Yeah, I never expected Kai to do much vocals at all.  I think he's actually featured more than I expected.

I like what he adds in his parts like on Skyfall. I don’t know. I’m not liking for a 1/3 split by any means but a bit here and there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1467 on: June 19, 2021, 08:51:36 AM »
Kai's contribution is his songwriting, and he likely spent his songwriting time writing Skyfall. Plus his guitar tone, solos, and riffs.

What I like about the vocals now are how good all 3 blend together. And create a unique harmony that only those 3 could do because of the styles of each singer.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Melphina

« Reply #1468 on: June 19, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
I do not like Skyfall as much as everybody else seems to. There are no below average songs on this record, mind, but almost everything else is stronger than Skyfall in my opinion. Andi's vocals are a highlight of this record to me. Each voice is used perfectly and that goes double for Andi. He sounds amazing, and his screamy, shouty singing sounds as good as ever. Mass Pollution and Robot King are fantastic. I think this will be the metal album of the year and to be frank the competition isn't even close.  I haven't been able to stop playing this. Out for the Glory is a perfect power metal song, and when Kiske sings "rule the eternal skies" I get chills. I hope this album goes down as a landmark album in power metal history.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1469 on: June 19, 2021, 12:17:10 PM »
I do not like Skyfall as much as everybody else seems to. There are no below average songs on this record, mind, but almost everything else is stronger than Skyfall in my opinion. Andi's vocals are a highlight of this record to me. Each voice is used perfectly and that goes double for Andi. He sounds amazing, and his screamy, shouty singing sounds as good as ever. Mass Pollution and Robot King are fantastic. I think this will be the metal album of the year and to be frank the competition isn't even close.  I haven't been able to stop playing this. Out for the Glory is a perfect power metal song, and when Kiske sings "rule the eternal skies" I get chills. I hope this album goes down as a landmark album in power metal history.

I agree. It's a good song. But there's just other songs I like better. Indestructible, Robot King, Best Time, and Out For The Glory, which is a fantastic opener.