Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179605 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1400 on: June 15, 2021, 02:22:55 PM »
https://sleazeroxx.com/andi-deris-states-roland-grapow-and-uli-kusch-not-part-of-pumpkins-united-as-they-betrayed-helloween/

I wish Andi would elaborate a bit more as opposed to just badmouthing them.

Andi clarifies this more on this interview, about Roland at least (at 30:06 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINidDJsW-4&t=2008s

In short, Andi said that Roland betrayed the band financially, meaning that Roland used a lot of money from the band, without communicating it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:28:59 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1401 on: June 15, 2021, 02:23:48 PM »
My Google browser translated it okay, doesn't mention if it's official or not though.

BTW today 16th June is the official release date of the new album in Japan so it's up on YT already.
I am gonna wait for the CD or at least the FLAC files  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1402 on: June 15, 2021, 02:29:07 PM »
It's not on YT here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1403 on: June 15, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »
The book:

They established the canons of power metal, thanks to an original recipe capable of combining speed and power with great melody and lyrics full of irony and positivity. And they have lived more than thirty-five years of history, between dizzying ascents, ruinous falls and unexpected resurrections.
They are Helloween, the "pumpkins" of metal, founded in Hamburg at the beginning of the Eighties by Kai Hansen and Ingo Schwichtenberg and jumped to global success with the arrival of Michael Kiske on vocals and the release of two consecutive albums, the Seven Keys Part 1 and Part 2, unanimously considered to be true milestones of the genre.
Referred to by many as the designated heirs of Iron Maiden to the throne of metal, they soon found themselves with a great future behind them, having to face traumatic line-up changes, painful griefs and heavy flops. A crisis that was overcome in the mid-nineties thanks to the arrival of singer Andi Deris and the perseverance of guitarist Michael Weikath, a unique character, loved as much as hated and seen by many as a moody father-master of the group.
While around them dozens of bands found success by copying their recipe and the ex Kai Hansen carried on the banner of power with his Gamma Ray, Helloween climbed the slope challenging accusations of betrayal to metal and lack of credibility, churning out a record after another, always faithful to their philosophy.
A long ride that culminated in the triumphant reunion of 2016 that repaid the Helloween for all the difficulties faced in the past, taking them around the world for almost two years in full arenas and stadiums, opening yet another new chapter in one of the most interesting stories and troubled by metal. A story that is told here for the first time in depth from the beginning to the present day, enriched by the analysis of all the discs published.

The author:

Son of the Eighties and curious by nature, Massimo Longoni is a musical omnivore who grew up listening to pop, rock, metal, songwriters, hip hop and even a little opera. All genres of which he then had the opportunity to write. He has collaborated with Jam, Guitar Club, Donna Moderna, Onstage, Tv Smiles and songs and for some of these he still writes. He participated in the creation of the Dictionary of pop-rock by Enzo Gentile and Alberto Tonti and in 1000 concerts that changed our lives, edited by Ezio Guaitamacchi. Since 2007 he has been dealing with the entertainment pages of Tgcom24.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:59 PM »
https://sleazeroxx.com/andi-deris-states-roland-grapow-and-uli-kusch-not-part-of-pumpkins-united-as-they-betrayed-helloween/

I wish Andi would elaborate a bit more as opposed to just badmouthing them.

Andi clarifies this more on this interview, about Roland at least (at 30:06 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kINidDJsW-4&t=2008s

In short, Andi said that Roland betrayed the band financially, meaning that Roland used a lot of money from the band, without communicating it.

Don't know the specifics but it seems weird Roland would have access to the bands money.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: June 15, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
My Google browser translated it okay, doesn't mention if it's official or not though.

BTW today 16th June is the official release date of the new album in Japan so it's up on YT already.

Yeah, I might wait for the cd with this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1406 on: June 15, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »

You might want to...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: June 15, 2021, 10:09:43 PM »

You might want to...

Not quite sure where you're heading with this to be honest.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1408 on: June 15, 2021, 11:02:11 PM »
I'm a weak, weak man and couldn't resist listening to one more new song before the album's official release: "Out for the Glory." It's a really fun and explosive opening track, but Kiske might as well be singing in German because I can't make out a single word.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1409 on: June 16, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »
It has the exact same intro to South Of Heaven.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1410 on: June 16, 2021, 03:50:17 PM »
There are NO words, well one comes to mind, 'epic'  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1411 on: June 16, 2021, 08:05:54 PM »
Skyfall is amazing. For the single edit, the only vocal cut from the album version is the second verse which features Andi and Michael, and the outro featuring Kai. If the edit included the second verse, it'd be perfect.

I wish vocally, more of the album took this approach. All three are fantastic on it.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1412 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:02 PM »
I’m loving this album so far! Mass Pollution is insanely cool!  :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1413 on: June 16, 2021, 10:13:41 PM »
Liked every song on first listen. That hasn’t happened with a Helloween album in a while.

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #1414 on: June 17, 2021, 04:30:48 AM »
Looking forward to checking this out tomorrow.

Cover art still bothers me in that it's awesome, but that damn Helloween logo is poorly positioned in both versions. It's either directly over the angel's face or over the end of the trumpet.
Annoys me that this couldn't have been more thought through.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1415 on: June 17, 2021, 04:50:02 AM »
I prefer the one where the logo isn't over the guy's face. Even if it covers the end of the trumpet, the trumpet is hardly visible in either of the versions.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1416 on: June 17, 2021, 06:48:00 AM »
The album is awesome - they really put all of the singers to great use.  Best Time is such a catchy song.  Mass Pollution has a killer riff.  I wasn't really into Skyfall when it came out, but the album version is great. 

I would have preferred a few faster and heavier songs, but aside from that, I can't complain.  It's a really strong album.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1417 on: June 17, 2021, 08:43:15 AM »
Definitely the best Kiske/Deris album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1418 on: June 17, 2021, 09:59:53 AM »
Definitely the best Kiske/Deris album.

:biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1419 on: June 17, 2021, 10:07:46 AM »

You might want to...

Not quite sure where you're heading with this to be honest.

True - it could be hinting at two very different conclusions  :biggrin: Which is it?

Online Mladen

« Reply #1420 on: June 17, 2021, 01:17:39 PM »
I liked a lot of it on my first listen. This is going to be such a fun ride.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1421 on: June 17, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
As much as I love Michael Kiske, and holy shit I love Michael Kiske, and Kai Hansen, this really doesn't work for me if Andi and Sasha get fucked.

I didn't notice Andi on the first couple listens because Kiske fucking kills. But the more I listen, the clearer Andi becomes and he is great on this. I still feel like he's a little shortchanged, but the more I listen, the more I find him.

And Sasha's two songs are outstanding. Best Time is an earworm for sure, and Angels...this song is a masterpiece.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: June 17, 2021, 04:51:50 PM »
As much as I love Michael Kiske, and holy shit I love Michael Kiske, and Kai Hansen, this really doesn't work for me if Andi and Sasha get fucked.

I didn't notice Andi on the first couple listens because Kiske fucking kills. But the more I listen, the clearer Andi becomes and he is great on this. I still feel like he's a little shortchanged, but the more I listen, the more I find him.

And Sasha's two songs are outstanding. Best Time is an earworm for sure, and Angels...this song is a masterpiece.

I think it probably comes down to Kiske having such a presence and distinct tone in his voice, it would be hard for him to get lost in a group of singers.  I mean, take Avantasia, you can listen and hear all these different voice, but when a song comes with Kiske, holy shit you take notice.  Haven't heard the album just thinking aloud.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1423 on: June 17, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »
Oh totally, and my ears totally perk up when I hear him. But I hear more Andi with each listen.

And make a note of Angels. It's an amazing track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: June 17, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
Oh totally, and my ears totally perk up when I hear him. But I hear more Andi with each listen.

And make a note of Angels. It's an amazing track.

Big fan of Sascha since he came in on Rabbit.  Very good songwriter.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1425 on: June 17, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »
I can't stop listening to this record.  The middle drops off a bit for me because the first 4 songs and the last 3 (excluding Orbit) are so good. 

I felt the opposite - I didn't think Andi was featured enough.  I really wanted a fast, heavy track with him.  I think Andi just kind of blends in because Kiske stands out.  I hear him a lot in the background and doubling up with Kiske at times.

I love that the singers put their egos aside for this reunion.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1426 on: June 17, 2021, 07:17:15 PM »
I felt the opposite - I didn't think Andi was featured enough. 

No, I agree with that! I'm just saying that my ears pick him up the more I go. I said I felt he was shortchanged.

I can't stop listening to this record. 

I know the feeling.

Robot King! :metal

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1427 on: June 17, 2021, 08:37:02 PM »
I'm on the first listenings, but I'm already loving this album. Oddly the song that I liked least was Out for the Glory that it's too much "pure" power metal for my taste, but I already see it being a favorite of many. Fear of the Fallen, Mass Pollution, Angels (I almost hear some Pain of Salvation here?!), Indestructible, Robot King (now this is power metal for my taste!), Orbit/Skyfall are really great. The instrumentation is top notch and the vocal arrangements are really perfect, no complaints!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1428 on: June 17, 2021, 08:41:01 PM »
Anyone else heard the Eagle Fly Free chorus chord progression in Out for the Glory? Not the first time they reused that chord progression I think.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1429 on: June 17, 2021, 08:45:51 PM »
Got through 4/5 listens already, was a good solid first listen, but keeps getting better and better the more I hear it.
Things I noticed, Kai doesn't have much of a vocal presence, not sure what solo's he is playing?
Sonically this sounds amazing, has some compression, but overall prod/mix/master sounds quite dynamic.
I really like every song, makes me so happy to hear this glorious sound once again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: June 17, 2021, 10:54:45 PM »
Hoping there's some ripper solos on this album too.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1431 on: June 17, 2021, 11:26:11 PM »
Yeah, it's craaaaaaazy just how much of an improvement this album is over My God Given Right! All the hard work they put into it really shows. My favorites at the moment are Mass Pollution, Best Time (I'll be shocked if they don't make a video for this one), Down in the Dumps, Angels, and Robot King. And I love how the album ends with Kai Hansen screaming "Somewhere out in space!"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1432 on: June 18, 2021, 01:10:54 AM »
I must have been tired from work and from the heat, 'cause I didn't connect with the songs at first listening. I truly hope the further listenings will improve  :D

Skyfall is amazing though. I wish they would have actually ended the song, I get that being the last track and it's an open ending the fade out has kinda of a reason to be, but since you have to come up with an ending anyway for when you'll play it live, why don't do it already on the album?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1433 on: June 18, 2021, 02:31:42 AM »
I'm very happy after listening to this album! :metal

Easily their best work since "Gambling with the Devil", even without taking into account that Hansen and Kiske are back. Only song that didn't click instantly was "Angels". It's weird and different, and I love that they are experimenting! But being in between of "Mass Pollution" and "Rise Without Chains" which are both anthemic rockers, it creates a jarring break from the power metal goodness.

Album also sounds absolutely fantastic to my ear! Charlie Bauerfeind did a great job for once. :biggrin: Kiske and Hansen fit in very nicely, and the whole group sounds like a well oiled machine! I absolutely love "Best Time"!! It is in all it's simplicity, one of the best Helloween songs I've ever heard! The ending of "Skyfall" is epic! I love that just before the song fades out, Kai starts singing the chorus of "Somewhere out in Space"! A cool Easter egg !

Going to be listening to this a lot!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1434 on: June 18, 2021, 03:10:58 AM »
I'm very happy after listening to this album! :metal

Easily their best work since "Gambling with the Devil", even without taking into account that Hansen and Kiske are back. Only song that didn't click instantly was "Angels". It's weird and different, and I love that they are experimenting! But being in between of "Mass Pollution" and "Rise Without Chains" which are both anthemic rockers, it creates a jarring break from the power metal goodness.

Album also sounds absolutely fantastic to my ear! Charlie Bauerfeind did a great job for once. :biggrin: Kiske and Hansen fit in very nicely, and the whole group sounds like a well oiled machine! I absolutely love "Best Time"!! It is in all it's simplicity, one of the best Helloween songs I've ever heard! The ending of "Skyfall" is epic! I love that just before the song fades out, Kai starts singing the chorus of "Somewhere out in Space"! A cool Easter egg !

Going to be listening to this a lot!

My exact thoughts  :o