Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 181315 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1365 on: June 12, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »
Andi Deris is impressive. What a great attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNqDabztUs

Always liked him. He's one of my favorite frontmen of metal - take away the gods, the Bruce Dickinsons and the likes, and he's my actual favorite. Great frontman and entertainer. Also a great singer with a one of a kind voice, and definitively a very strong songwriter.

He's the saviour of Helloween, period. We have this reunion to begin with because he agreed to join the band in 1994, Weikath is on record saying that if Deris hadn't joined, the band would be over. He saved the band, kept it strong all those years, and now he's one of the key players of the reunion.

I know it's an apples and oranges situation, but Annette Olzon in Nightwish didn't want to be temporarily replaced by Floor Jansen because the fans would want her to remain (well, hard to blame her, she was right), Andi could have put his foot down, say "No way Kiske comes back, I'm the singer, I kept the band going all these years", he could have been very insecure about it, but he was a complete professional and great guy about it. Heck, I think he's even happy he doesn't have to sing Eagle Fly Free and Future World anymore and be rid of them, since for many years all the thanks he got for saving Helloween were complaints about the way he sang Kiske's songs.

Side note - don't remember if I ever told it, but I'm always puzzled at Andi's speaking voice, I can never reconcile it with his singing voice, or even the way he speaks on stage when he introduces the songs. Every other singer, be them a native speaker or someone who uses english as a second language, you can realize it's them from the way they talk and the way they sing.... not Andi. Andi normally speaking and Andi singing  / Andi speaking on stage it sounds like two different persons to me. When he normally speaks he even has a strong german influence which he doesn't have at all on stage.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1366 on: June 12, 2021, 06:48:56 PM »

Always liked him. He's one of my favorite frontmen of metal - take away the gods, the Bruce Dickinsons and the likes, and he's my actual favorite. Great frontman and entertainer. Also a great singer with a one of a kind voice, and definitively a very strong songwriter.

He's the saviour of Helloween, period. We have this reunion to begin with because he agreed to join the band in 1994, Weikath is on record saying that if Deris hadn't joined, the band would be over. He saved the band, kept it strong all those years, and now he's one of the key players of the reunion.

I know it's an apples and oranges situation, but Annette Olzon in Nightwish didn't want to be temporarily replaced by Floor Jansen because the fans would want her to remain (well, hard to blame her, she was right), Andi could have put his foot down, say "No way Kiske comes back, I'm the singer, I kept the band going all these years", he could have been very insecure about it, but he was a complete professional and great guy about it. Heck, I think he's even happy he doesn't have to sing Eagle Fly Free and Future World anymore and be rid of them, since for many years all the thanks he got for saving Helloween were complaints about the way he sang Kiske's songs.

Andrea, I agree. I've stated the following in this thread already but...

I absolutely remember Kiske leaving and Deris joining. I bought both the Perfect Gentlemen and Mr. Ego CD singles on import as soon as they were available. I simply could not take to the new voice and basically walked away from Helloween. Even though they were getting great reviews, I simply didn't care. I would end up getting an album here and there from them, but I just couldn't get into it.
As documented in this thread, I did a deep dive on the Deris albums, and I absolutely fell in love with them. Deris is to be commended for not only saving Helloween, but for Helloween actually thriving throughout the years.

And I give him credit. He didn't shy away from a reunion with Kiske. (Let's face it, I'm sure it's a huge financial windfall for them..)
Apparently, Kiske and Deris had never really met before the reunion. They both talk about really hitting it off. The comraderie on stage is apparent in the live videos, but witnessing them in person, it really seems genuine. Everyone is so cool. Heck, even Kai plays right along Sasha and there's total respect.

Andi Deris is fucking fearless. He looks Kiske straight in the eye and goes note for note with him. He fucking tackles A Tale That Wasn't Right in front of the legend. And the guys really seem to....like each other.

I've been a music fan for basically my whole life. Other than actual..life, listening and following music has been the most important thing in my life, and witnessing this Helloween reunion has literally been one of the most exciting, gratifying, and meaningful experiences of my musical life.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1367 on: June 12, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »
Cool interview with Michael Kiske..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzw4P9zGpYw

"I hope it lasts. I hope it lasts long."

@Rodrigo, are you getting a Helloween interview??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: June 13, 2021, 03:25:40 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority with all of this.  If I'm being honest, I think Kiske and Kai coming back is great and it's good to see them all getting along and playing well.  Sascha staying on makes me happy too.  And, from a publicity point of view, it's a no brainer.

However, I'm not really feeling it.  I've watched most of the United Alive show and have the CD, but for some reason, I'm not just really taking to the two singer thing.  I discovered Helloween with The Dark Ride.  From there it went Rabbit, Better Than Raw and then the Keeper albums were sprinkled in throughout.  I always preferred the heavier style of the Deris era.  I love the Keeper albums but as I said, that stuff appealed to me more.  I also saw the band on the Gambling with the Devil tour which was killer. 

So I guess I've always seen the band as Andi's band, I think that era is Helloween to me.  But there's something about the 2 singer thing live I find cheesy and yeah, is not really exciting me all that much.  I'm looking forward to the album as I'm all for the Allen/Lande, Avantasia style thing on record and I hope it's the same reaction to those to this album, not the reaction I have about all this in a live setting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: June 13, 2021, 03:26:51 AM »
and witnessing this Helloween reunion has literally been one of the most exciting, gratifying, and meaningful experiences of my musical life.

Regardless of my opinion, I'm glad they did it to get reactions like this.  I'll cop my 'meh' reaction to  have other people feel like this.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1370 on: June 13, 2021, 10:14:02 AM »

Andrea, I agree. I've stated the following in this thread already but...

I absolutely remember Kiske leaving and Deris joining. I bought both the Perfect Gentlemen and Mr. Ego CD singles on import as soon as they were available. I simply could not take to the new voice and basically walked away from Helloween. Even though they were getting great reviews, I simply didn't care. I would end up getting an album here and there from them, but I just couldn't get into it.
As documented in this thread, I did a deep dive on the Deris albums, and I absolutely fell in love with them. Deris is to be commended for not only saving Helloween, but for Helloween actually thriving throughout the years.

And I give him credit. He didn't shy away from a reunion with Kiske. (Let's face it, I'm sure it's a huge financial windfall for them..)
Apparently, Kiske and Deris had never really met before the reunion. They both talk about really hitting it off. The comraderie on stage is apparent in the live videos, but witnessing them in person, it really seems genuine. Everyone is so cool. Heck, even Kai plays right along Sasha and there's total respect.

Andi Deris is fucking fearless. He looks Kiske straight in the eye and goes note for note with him. He fucking tackles A Tale That Wasn't Right in front of the legend. And the guys really seem to....like each other.

I've been a music fan for basically my whole life. Other than actual..life, listening and following music has been the most important thing in my life, and witnessing this Helloween reunion has literally been one of the most exciting, gratifying, and meaningful experiences of my musical life.

I first really checked out Helloween when I heard about the Reunion with Kiske and Hansen. I knew of Kiske from Avantasia's albums, specifically the song Wastelands, as I love that song and his vocals there. (I just laughed when I first heard March of Time, because it's pretty much the style of Wastelands.  :lol)

So, then, as most things go with new bands I discover, I forgot about Helloween, and when they released Pumpkins United, I heard it and thought it sounded awesome. Then, listening to more of the bands music, just went out my head.

It was when I first watched a video for Keeper of The Seven Keys from the reunion live show is when I really gained an interest in them. It was also, how much fun they're having on stage with each other. Kiske and Deris facing each other is fun to watch, and so is seeing both go all out belting those notes. It also made me discover Andi Deris, and how I didn't know he was on Ayreons Universal Migrator album as just one aspect of his voice is utilized on that album, and he never really shows his potential as he does in Helloween.

After reading about their history as a band, and when Deris joined the group, I realized, he is the main vocalist of Helloween and not Kiske. Kiske was the classic vocalist, as Kai was the classic original founder and guitarist for the band, whom was also once their singer. And, I think Andi has amazing vocals, and a great range, and is actually a better singer than Kiske. But I enjoy both, so it's not bad for me.

I hope this lineup has the same longevity as the Iron Maiden reunion. It's only been one tour, and one new album. We've only just gotten a taste of what this lineup is capable of.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1371 on: June 13, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
The reunion has already gone beyond my wildest dreams.

I never thought it could have happened to begin with. At best, I'd figure that for the sake of closure one day at Wacken Michael Kiske would show up for the encore and sing three songs. Instead we got a comeback of him and Hansen without anyone else in the band losing the job, a very cool reunion song that celebrated the band's history and showed that the three singers could work, a monumental tour with 3 hours show that was loved by almost everyone, and now we get a new friggin' album. Unbelieavable.

At this point I'm kinda bummed it didn't happen 5 or 10 years later, but the timing had to be right, let's take what we got which is already a lot, and let's look forward to a bright future where every day is October 31th  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: June 13, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
However, I'm not really feeling it.  I've watched most of the United Alive show and have the CD, but for some reason, I'm not just really taking to the two singer thing.  I discovered Helloween with The Dark Ride.  From there it went Rabbit, Better Than Raw and then the Keeper albums were sprinkled in throughout.  I always preferred the heavier style of the Deris era.  I love the Keeper albums but as I said, that stuff appealed to me more.  I also saw the band on the Gambling with the Devil tour which was killer. 

So I guess I've always seen the band as Andi's band, I think that era is Helloween to me.  But there's something about the 2 singer thing live I find cheesy and yeah, is not really exciting me all that much. 

I totally get that Kade. Makes perfect sense. It had been his band for over 20 years before the reunion. And Helloween didn't just sputter with a bunch of so-so albums. These albums are damn masterpieces. Why fuck with that? So I really understand.

But me? I'm a huge Kiske guy. He's easily my favorite singer and 2nd place is not even close. The Keepers albums (together) are are #4 on my Top 50 (after I&W, Strangers, TNOTB). So those albums are literally among the best music these ears have ever heard. For me.

After Instant Clarity, Kiske disappeared from the metal scene, and put out a bunch of albums. I had to rationalize hard to like them. Musically, they were pretty poor. But that voice..
Thank God Toby Sammett slowly pulled it out of Kiske.

I actually didn't need a Helloween reunion to be make me happy. I was more than thrilled with Unisonic. Just hearing Kiske sing in this style, where he should be, is wonderful.

So now there's a reunion. And it's not just Kiske, but it's Kai as well. Him leaving Helloween two albums before Kiske left had a huge effect on the band. And not for the good.

I would be totally against the reunion if they were fucking over Andi. Seriously.

and witnessing this Helloween reunion has literally been one of the most exciting, gratifying, and meaningful experiences of my musical life.

Regardless of my opinion, I'm glad they did it to get reactions like this.  I'll cop my 'meh' reaction to  have other people feel like this.

Thanks Kade.

I never thought it could have happened to begin with. At best, I'd figure that for the sake of closure one day at Wacken Michael Kiske would show up for the encore and sing three songs. Instead we got a comeback of him and Hansen without anyone else in the band losing the job, a very cool reunion song that celebrated the band's history and showed that the three singers could work, a monumental tour with 3 hours show that was loved by almost everyone, and now we get a new friggin' album. Unbelieavable.

I agree with this.

After reading about their history as a band, and when Deris joined the group, I realized, he is the main vocalist of Helloween and not Kiske. Kiske was the classic vocalist, as Kai was the classic original founder and guitarist for the band, whom was also once their singer. And, I think Andi has amazing vocals, and a great range, and is actually a better singer than Kiske. But I enjoy both, so it's not bad for me.
Andi is amazing. And fearless.

It was when I first watched a video for Keeper of The Seven Keys from the reunion live show is when I really gained an interest in them. It was also, how much fun they're having on stage with each other. Kiske and Deris facing each other is fun to watch, and so is seeing both go all out belting those notes. 

And this is the rub. This is why this works. And it's why the Maiden reunion works.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1373 on: June 13, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »

At this point I'm kinda bummed it didn't happen 5 or 10 years later, but the timing had to be right, let's take what we got which is already a lot, and let's look forward to a bright future where every day is October 31th  :metal

I'm just bummed I never discovered Helloween sooner, like in Highschool.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1374 on: June 13, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »

I remember thinking way back when the tour was announced, that it would be such a dream come true if this seven peace lineup would become permanent! But I also figured that it would be too difficult to work in the long term. Imagine my surprise when they announced that they are continuing with this lineup! :metal

This lineup to me is basically Helloween 2.0. All the numerous lineup changes have lead to this. Sky is the limit on what they are able to accomplish with this group. Iron Maiden went on to create some of their best albums during the reunion era, and I hope that the future holds the same for this reunited Helloween. I can't wait to hear the self titled on June 18th!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1375 on: June 13, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
Just wanted to say that this reunion is still short one person...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1376 on: June 13, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »
The one with only the right hand on the pic?!  :lol
Amazing pic, Tim!!! :hefdaddy
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1377 on: June 13, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
 :metal

Another cool interview with Kiske..

https://youtu.be/mOtUMG08ka4?t=454

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: June 13, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame Ingo is not around to be involved.  ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1379 on: June 13, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame Ingo is not around to be involved.  ;D

Here he is!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: June 13, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »

So I guess I've always seen the band as Andi's band, I think that era is Helloween to me.  But there's something about the 2 singer thing live I find cheesy and yeah, is not really exciting me all that much. 

I totally get that Kade. Makes perfect sense. It had been his band for over 20 years before the reunion. And Helloween didn't just sputter with a bunch of so-so albums. These albums are damn masterpieces. Why fuck with that? So I really understand.

But me? I'm a huge Kiske guy. He's easily my favorite singer and 2nd place is not even close. The Keepers albums (together) are are #4 on my Top 50 (after I&W, Strangers, TNOTB). So those albums are literally among the best music these ears have ever heard. For me.

After Instant Clarity, Kiske disappeared from the metal scene, and put out a bunch of albums. I had to rationalize hard to like them. Musically, they were pretty poor. But that voice..
Thank God Toby Sammett slowly pulled it out of Kiske.

I actually didn't need a Helloween reunion to be make me happy. I was more than thrilled with Unisonic. Just hearing Kiske sing in this style, where he should be, is wonderful.

So now there's a reunion. And it's not just Kiske, but it's Kai as well. Him leaving Helloween two albums before Kiske left had a huge effect on the band. And not for the good.

I would be totally against the reunion if they were fucking over Andi. Seriously.

Thanks Kade.

And I appreciate all that Tim and as I said, I can see this as a dream come true for yourself and others discovering the band at the time.  Just a different time when I discovered them.  I was able to buy the albums as they came out from Rabbit onwards which is rare for me with these classic bands so the later stuff I really treasure.  I'll admit the last Deris album was the only one that was under par so this reunion did come at the right time.  And yes, having Deris and Sascha involved makes me happy.

With Kiske don't forget Place Vendome.  That first album while not metal, really was another stepping stone in Kiske getting back into this type of music.  I believe we have Dennis Ward to thank just as much as Tobi.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1381 on: June 13, 2021, 04:51:34 PM »
I posted an interview with Kiske a few posts ago, and he talks about Kosta and Dennis Ward and how everything led to coming back.
Hell yes, that first Place Vendome album is amazing!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1382 on: June 13, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »
Awesome interview with Dani Loble..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoRPmDDDs0

Really insightful.

Same guy interviews Sasha Gerstner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubj6pR025SY&lc=Ugyd9o-7Zdv3sbrzyRB4AaABAg

They spend the last 5-10 minutes talking about Michael Schenker.

@Kade, this guy is from your neck of the woods. He talks about it at the beginning of the Dani interview.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:45:55 PM by TAC »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1383 on: June 13, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »
Wondering why Roland Grapow hasn't been involved in any part of the reunion?
Sure he was only onboard for a 6 studio albums, but I do find it a little odd that and in his own words, he was never asked.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1384 on: June 13, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »
Sure he was only onboard for a 6 studio albums, but I do find it a little odd that and in his own words, he was never asked.

Label was probably all..."4 guitarists?! Nah, that's just too much. Best not include Grapow."  :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1385 on: June 13, 2021, 06:28:56 PM »
Yup I thought the same thing 4 guitarists too much, but they could have brought him out for say the encores for a few shows at least.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: June 13, 2021, 06:42:40 PM »
I can't back it up, but I didn't think they were on good terms. I could be wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: June 13, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »
Awesome interview with Dani Loble..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoRPmDDDs0

Really insightful.

Same guy interviews Sasha Gerstner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubj6pR025SY&lc=Ugyd9o-7Zdv3sbrzyRB4AaABAg

They spend the last 5-10 minutes talking about Michael Schenker.

@Kade, this guy is from your neck of the woods. He talks about it at the beginning of the Dani interview.

I'll try and check these tonight mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: June 13, 2021, 07:16:17 PM »

Both Uli and Roland did not split on good terms.  Weiki felt that they were both taking the sound a little too outside the Helloween mould too much with the Dark Ride I believe.  You can see they both wrote the heavier stuff while Weiki wrote the happy stuff and Andi was somewhere in between.

Weiki apparently fired both of them by email after the Dark Ride tour.  There is a interview (it should be on youtube) at the time the first Masterplan album came out.  It actually came as an enhanced cd with the debut.  Both Uli and Roland are very bitter and they let it know in that interview.  When this all was announced, I never ever expected Roland to be asked.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: June 13, 2021, 07:47:26 PM »

Thought I'd post this pic..

I just listened to Fear Of The Fallen and the edited Skyfall. I love all three guys singing. Both songs are fucking A amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1391 on: June 13, 2021, 09:36:27 PM »
That's a real shame that even after all these years they can't sit down have a beer and make friends again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: June 13, 2021, 11:18:38 PM »
This is the video I was referring to

https://youtu.be/QBe8ByC4xE0

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1394 on: June 14, 2021, 06:42:49 AM »
https://sleazeroxx.com/andi-deris-states-roland-grapow-and-uli-kusch-not-part-of-pumpkins-united-as-they-betrayed-helloween/

I wish Andi would elaborate a bit more as opposed to just badmouthing them.

It was the first thing that came up when I googled it. Could be a translation issue.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1395 on: June 15, 2021, 01:24:05 AM »
Excited that CD Japan have shipped my Helloween CD's (Reg and Special Editions)  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1396 on: June 15, 2021, 01:29:55 AM »
https://sleazeroxx.com/andi-deris-states-roland-grapow-and-uli-kusch-not-part-of-pumpkins-united-as-they-betrayed-helloween/

I wish Andi would elaborate a bit more as opposed to just badmouthing them.

It was the first thing that came up when I googled it. Could be a translation issue.

I vividly remember an interview after the split where Grapow complained about things in the band, there was a passage that went "we used to play Keeper of the Seven Keys, Kids of the Century, all this cool stuff, and then we couldn't play them anymore, why? [I still remember the interviewer noting that Grapow just mouthed the words without pronouncing them] becuase Andi can't sing them".

That was 2002 and sure enough, in 2003 Keeper of the Seven Keys came back to the set (and remained also for the 2005 tours with arguably better performances). We might never know but a little part of me thinks that Andi got wind of that interview and wanted to prove him wrong.

Or maybe the band decided that it was a smart "business move" to fill the set with more classic Keeper songs, dunno.

Offline devieira73

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1398 on: June 15, 2021, 01:18:39 PM »
D, Metal Hammer IS THE reason I discovered Helloween.

Oh, and I couldn't read a thing on that site, and it didn't seem to have a language chooser.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1399 on: June 15, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »
Neither did I!  :D Unfortunately italian isn't much close to portuguese like spanish is. But google translator always can help. Anyway, just to share the news, since I guess this will the first relevant Helloween biography (maybe I'm wrong).