Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179662 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1260 on: March 12, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
WOW, they are not kidding with anything related to this album! I even don't remember the last time I saw an artwork so impressive by any band that I really like. Very artsy and made for a LP size, really cool!!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1261 on: March 12, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1262 on: March 13, 2021, 02:27:53 AM »
I am absolutely in love with that album cover.  :heart

I wonder which one of the two is official, though. The second one has the logo running across the guys face, which is odd. Hopefully that one is on the limited editions that I will not get.  ;D

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1263 on: March 13, 2021, 08:15:11 AM »
That’s the Helloween album cover I’ve been wanting to see for a long time. I’m disappointed it’s a self-titled, as I’ve never been a fan of bands doing one this late in their careers.

Mass Pollution and Down in The Dumps sound like Sasha songs. Angels and Rose Without Chains sound like Weiki songs. I’m not gonna guess any more because there’s just too many song writers on this album. Although I could see Marcus’s songs being relegated to bonus tracks once again even though he’s proven to be one of heir best writers as of late.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1264 on: March 13, 2021, 09:49:35 AM »
The real mystery would be is Orbit just an intro track to Skyfall or not.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1265 on: March 13, 2021, 03:29:07 PM »
I've seen comments that Robot King looks like a Weikath track the most. I agree.  ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1266 on: March 14, 2021, 03:09:10 AM »
Wikipedia article about the new album, seems to have been updated with track lengths and writers. Not sure how credible it is at this point, but lets play devils advocate..

It seems Skyfall is the only "epic" of the album clocking in at 12.11 including the one minute intro "Orbit". "Out for the Glory" and "Robot King" are both over 7 minutes long though.

Interesting that Skyfall and Orbit seem to be Hansen's only writing credits on this album. Sascha has one, and Best Time has a writing credit for both him and Andi. Marcus has one. Weiki has 3, and Andi has 5 including "Best Time." Kiske and Dani have none unsurprisingly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: March 14, 2021, 04:21:24 AM »
From wiki;

1.   "Out for the Glory"   Michael Weikath               7:19
2.   "Fear of the Fallen"   Andi Deris                       5:39
3.   "Best Time"             Sascha Gerstner/Deris      3:36
4.   "Mass Pollution"        Deris                              4:15
5.   "Angels"                   Gerstner                         4:42
6.   "Rise Without Chains"Deris                              4:56
7.   "Indestructible"         Markus Grosskopf           4:43
8.   "Robot King"             Weikath                          7:08
9.   "Cyanide"                  Deris                             3:29
10.   "Down in the Dumps"Weikath                        6:01
11.   "Orbit"                     Kai Hansen                    1:05
12.   "Skyfall"                   Hansen                         12:11
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1268 on: March 14, 2021, 04:49:22 AM »
If that's true, Kai Hansen must have blown all his creative load on the epic track, I would assume he, Weikath and Deris would have been the major songwriters of the album. This is basically a Deris era album with an epic written by Kai Hansen and three vocalists.

Anyway, the goodwill they currently have with me is tremendous; they reunited and the show was absolutely glorious and amazing, going beyond my wildest expectations. They did a new track, Pumpkins United, which was amazing as well, blending perfectly the three voices and giving us the power, the speed, the anthemic vibe and that little bit of cheese that we all love from Helloween. As far as I'm concerned, right now I'm in the "this is gonna be a masterpiece and I'll believe so until proven otherwise" camp.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:56:05 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: March 14, 2021, 04:54:30 AM »
I hope there's a deluxe edition with Pumpkins United as a bonus track.  That would be sweet.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1270 on: March 14, 2021, 05:14:43 AM »
That there is LP coverart!

Much love.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1271 on: March 14, 2021, 04:18:48 PM »
I was confident Hansen and Kiske would have more songwriting credits. But then again, it's not like the rest of the guys cannot nail it.  ;)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1272 on: March 14, 2021, 04:56:47 PM »
I’m actually glad Hansen doesn’t have much songwriting credits. He tends to come up with riffs and melodies that sound too much like riffs and melodies from big metal bands he was influenced by.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: March 14, 2021, 08:43:28 PM »
I’m actually glad Hansen doesn’t have much songwriting credits. He tends to come up with riffs and melodies that sound too much like riffs and melodies from big metal bands he was influenced by.

Gamma Ray indeed have had a few familiar ones over the years.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1274 on: March 14, 2021, 11:49:37 PM »
I hope there's a deluxe edition with Pumpkins United as a bonus track.  That would be sweet.

I'm positive that NB will fully milk this album with multiple vinyl, deluxe, super deluxe mail order exclusive versions and anything else they think of to make us buy more than one copy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: March 15, 2021, 12:17:50 AM »

I'm positive that NB will fully milk this album with multiple vinyl, deluxe, super deluxe mail order exclusive versions and anything else they think of to make us buy more than one copy.

I didn't end up getting the Unied Alive DVD, so chuck that in too and I'll be a happy man lol.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1276 on: March 15, 2021, 02:11:50 AM »

I still remember seeing them opening for Maiden in 2003 and singing at the show Hell Bent for Leather over the chorus of the song New World Order  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: March 15, 2021, 05:15:03 AM »

I still remember seeing them opening for Maiden in 2003 and singing at the show Hell Bent for Leather over the chorus of the song New World Order  :lol

That's a new one for me.  Haven't heard that one but in my head.........damn, you're right.

Online devieira73

« Reply #1278 on: March 15, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1279 on: March 15, 2021, 08:06:39 AM »
Any greek's here in DTF who could translate? ;D

I understood like 5 words in the whole review lol.

Online devieira73

« Reply #1280 on: March 15, 2021, 08:20:04 AM »
My doubt is if this review is a legit one (I don't know the site and it seems a bit ahead of time). Anyway, from google translator:

On June 18, the MOST EXPECTED new, eponymous HELLOWEEN album is released, bearing their title. Rock Hard, was present at an exclusive online event with selected journalists from around the world, who listened to the band's new album "with" Michael Weikath, Andi Deris, Markus Grosskopf and Sascha Gerstner and we had opportunity to talk to them for two whole hours after listening to the album, to learn as much detail as possible. And not only that, a little later, we had the opportunity to do a video interview with Andi Deris, now, one of the singers of the band, where we talked for more than half an hour and this interview, you can see it in a few days at rockhard.gr

But let's leave the hows and the whys. Here we had the opportunity to listen to the new album of the reconnected HELLOWEEN, what do we say now? Anyone who does not know that Kiske, Hansen are back in shape, let's welcome him into the real world and celebrate the end of the cave age. For the rest, let's do a track by track recording of the songs on the album, which are 12 (of which an introduction to "Skyfall", which is the first single).

"Out for the glory" (7:19) (Weikath)

It is important to list the composer next to each piece, since the character that each leaves, is very special. "Helloween" starts with a song we would all be waiting for. A 7-minute composition by Michael Weikath, with an intro that reminded me of South "South of heaven" !!! Okay, until then of course, do not go crazy! Uptempo song, with melodies that bring to mind "Eagle fly free", but do not go to anything reminiscent of the past. The sound on the guitars is impressive, throughout the album, the production gives a tremendous volume and the overall result clearly flatters the "hand" of Charlie Bauerfeind… Much Michael Kiske, as we would expect, with a bit of Kai Hansen who sings for… "Iron minions" !!! The more you listen to it, the better it looks to you.

"Fear of the fallen" (5:39) (Deris)

This song, we start an audio introduction and Andi Deris on the vocals, but in the chorus he sings a duet with Kiske. The melodic lines are classic Deris, with the gradual ascents, uptempo and that, with points that I would say bring to "Pumpkins united". Good song, it could be on any other HELLOWEEN record for the last 15 years.

"Best time" (3:36) (Gerstner / Deris)
First of all, I must say that it is the only song on the album that has two composers and is the shortest in duration. Made for a hit, it will definitely become a video clip, since its rhythm is… "I want out". Or if you want "Exceptional" (UNISONIC), since there is the joint presence of Kiske / Hansen there as well. Rhythmic, midtempo, I dare say that I would have preferred not to have Hansen's second vocals in the chorus (I might as well be bothered by the cheesy lyrics, I haven't finished yet, with one listen).

"Mass pollution" (4:15) (Deris)

Deris' performance is very nice, dynamic, with various effects on his voice. The constant repetition of "go, go, go" and the refrain "Ma-ss po-llu-tion" made me believe for a moment that I was listening to "Higher than the sky" (sky sky) by RAGE. I think it will sound even better in a concert environment, because it has a lot of sing along, along with the classic metal riffing. Very classic, but with such a modern sound, it could even be in "Better than raw"…

"Angels" (4:42) (Gerstner)

It starts impressively, with Kiske singing on bass and keyboards. A characteristic riff of Sascha Gerstner enters, a promising bridge and where you say that the song will take off, a boiling chorus enters, which cuts the speed, changes the scale of the song and alienates you. Ή let's say more specifically, it alienates me… The very dynamic riff of the song and the very successful sound from Hammond in places go awry.

"Rise without chains" (4:56) (Deris)

Another song by Andi Deris, another song that could have been released on any HELLOWEEN album in the last 15 years and entered the "good" category. Uptempo and that, but after the typical Deris bridge, it loses somewhere and leaves you once again with the feeling of dissatisfaction…

“Indestructible” (4:43) (Grosskopf)

Heavy, harsh sound in the unique song signed by Markus Grosskopf, Midtempo, compact, nice bridge, nice chorus, nice song, favorite second vocals and that made me remember UNISONIC somewhere. Plus the very nice guitar solo.

Robot King (7:08) (Weikath)

It starts with a fucking scream from Kai Hansen and you say "it can't, it will go well". And so it is. A very interesting composition by Weikath, who in all the songs he has written for "Helloween", has avoided writing "typically" (I think he left this role for Deris). It does not even bother, the first refrain to το show it in 3 minutes !!! In the refrain that the vocals are in God. But when you have Kiske / Deris / Hansen, you can write whatever you like and you know that the right one will be found, no matter what. Classic metal, with speed payments, with many and interesting changes, kept my interest undiminished. On the vocals we have alternations between Deris and Kiske.

"Cyanide" (3:29) (Deris)

Once again, I was expecting something better in the chorus, apart from the very interesting speedy excellent riff. But, guys, what a fucking sound that is on guitars !!! We are talking that it raises the level far.

"Down in the dumps" (6:01) (Weikath)

He could write in ouia: "You see Weikath, it's good". Highly worked composition, keeps your interest undiminished. You hear SAVATAGE, you hear JUDAS PRIEST, Kiske in the beginning, Kai Hansen on the bridge. Let's get serious now, do we want a lot more than our heavy metal when HELLOWEEN is playing it?

"Orbit" (1:05) (Hansen)

Instrumental. Acts as an introduction to "Skyfall". If we did not see the duration, we would fish, because it is the first composition of the album that has the signature of kai Hansen…

"Skyfall" (12:11) (Hansen)

Here we are!!! What did you write, black dog !!! A song, 12 minutes duration Ί Ίioma… 12 minutes shudder. Kai's HELLOWEEN, with the PRIEST and ACCEPT we like, the galloping guitar theme, constant changes, amazing cut with acoustic guitars, guitar solos coming to you from everywhere without warning, vocals to God. CHAOS. What else can I say, when we talk about a song that in the ranking of HELLOWEEN's career, when after years they will have retired, will be in a very high position χι Not accidentally, first single, even though it is 12 minutes!

These are my first impressions of the album. I remind you that I listened to him ONLY once, like all the other "accomplices". I listened to an album, where the conversation for over 2 hours with HELLOWEEN, made me realize several things about the logic they had writing this album and answer many questions. Even more enlightening, was Andi Deris in the interview we did and you will read it at the end of the month, as we will have many more things, until the album comes out.

Is the album that HELLOWEEN fans would expect with the return of Kiske and Hansen? If you thought that they would release "Keeper… 4", you will probably find many flaws. On a personal level, I found that some of Deris' compositions (which may be many in total, but short in duration), I might have expected better, I would definitely like to listen to more of Hansen's compositions, ballad did not come out in the style they wanted they left it out, Weikath is still a guarantee since all three of his songs, took care to keep my attention at a very high level.

Plus, the great production, but also the fact that they didn't sell "Keepers και" and pumpkins until the early 90s, but the sound is solid, dark (to the point that the closest to the album, I would dare say is "The dark ride"), very uptempo with restrained "happy, happy", "hilarious" songs but also a very good flow. I'm absolutely sure that the more I listen to it, the more I will like it. Do not forget to mention the amazing cover of Eliran Kantor. No pumpkins, but with many references to previous records. Work of art. You buy a copy on vinyl, just to put it as a painting in the room!

Here are a few for "Helloween". More, in the interview we did with Andi Deris (one of the few he gave after the pre-hearing and the press conference) and so on.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1281 on: March 15, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
I know it feels weird to have a review already, but it sounds like too much trouble to make up a review that in a couple of months' time could be proven fake (and the single is coming out earlier anyway).

Sounds like they continued from where they left off in the Deris era, with the added bonus of having Kai Hansen there (and of course three voices to use). Probably it was smart to not try to rewrite another Keeper carbon copy anyway.

Online devieira73

« Reply #1282 on: March 15, 2021, 09:15:53 AM »
From 7 Sinners to My God Given Right, I like so many songs out of them that I'm not worried about the quality. And 7 Sinners is one of my personal favorites albums from them.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1283 on: March 15, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
I know it feels weird to have a review already, but it sounds like too much trouble to make up a review that in a couple of months' time could be proven fake (and the single is coming out earlier anyway).

Sounds like they continued from where they left off in the Deris era, with the added bonus of having Kai Hansen there (and of course three voices to use). Probably it was smart to not try to rewrite another Keeper carbon copy anyway.

There was an official virtual listening session for 100 'reviewers/journalists' on the weekend with the band on the weekend, hence only one listen.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1284 on: March 15, 2021, 12:27:46 PM »
This band.  I feel like I should like them, but despite a mighty effort I just can't get into them.  I think for me the vocals are the problem. 

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1285 on: March 15, 2021, 12:38:43 PM »
I think for me the vocals are the problem.

All 3 singers they’ve had?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: March 15, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
Whoever sang on The Keeper of the Seven Keys.  That's the only album of theirs I've heard.

It wasn't JUST the singer, though.  Although he was the main obstacle for me.  Their music just left me not really wanting to hear more.

I've checked out a track or two or three from some of their other albums and never felt like I needed to hear the entire album.  The vocalist is the only specific thing I remember not liking

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1287 on: March 15, 2021, 02:17:52 PM »
That hurts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: March 15, 2021, 02:20:47 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the vocalist from Gamma Ray the same guy who sang on Keeper of the Seven Keys or am I remembering that wrong?

Gamma Ray is another group in this vein that I feel like I should really like but those vocals   :|

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1289 on: March 15, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »
I have never heard a second of Helloween, but this video is hilarious and I wanted to post it here. Relevant to cover art!
https://youtu.be/oNFdpkw2NqQ
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: March 15, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the vocalist from Gamma Ray the same guy who sang on Keeper of the Seven Keys or am I remembering that wrong?

Gamma Ray is another group in this vein that I feel like I should really like but those vocals   :|

Yeah, no.

Gamma Ray's singer is Kai Hansen who was on Helloween's first album, Walls of Jericho. After that, there are four albums (including two Keepers) with Michael Kiske, who's also prominent in Avantasia and a frontman of Unisonic.

After that, the singer is Andi Deris for the past, like, 20 years.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: March 15, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »
Whoever sang on The Keeper of the Seven Keys.  That's the only album of theirs I've heard.

It wasn't JUST the singer, though.  Although he was the main obstacle for me.  Their music just left me not really wanting to hear more.

I've checked out a track or two or three from some of their other albums and never felt like I needed to hear the entire album.  The vocalist is the only specific thing I remember not liking

Maybe check out some Deris stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1292 on: March 15, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »

Or try Ear Replacement Therapy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: March 15, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »

Or try Ear Replacement Therapy.

That could be the option after the Deris stuff I reckon haha.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: March 15, 2021, 05:39:12 PM »
Going by that breakdown, like Mirror said, this is basically a Deris era album with a Hansen epic on the end.  I'm fine with that I think.