Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179720 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1155 on: November 03, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
Man, I really need to listen to the Deris era albums again. Out of these six, I only remember how Push and The Dark Ride go.

Honestly if there's interest I may go next with the Top 25 thing or something similar.

Go for it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1156 on: November 26, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1157 on: November 27, 2019, 12:40:23 AM »
Andi trying to give a studio update, but everyone else is just goofing around. :biggrin:

But they seem to be having fun, and the album is probably coming along nicely!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1158 on: December 05, 2019, 02:17:53 AM »
It is, it's scheduled for release in August / September 2020 and then an european world tour will follow, dates announced today!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1159 on: December 05, 2019, 06:49:34 AM »
I missed the first Pumpkins United tour, but i have to get ticks to the Helsinki date this time!

With all new material, and probably an entirely new setlist will make that show a must see! :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1160 on: December 05, 2019, 07:46:02 AM »
It is, it's scheduled for release in August / September 2020 and then an european world tour will follow, dates announced today!  :metal

Hopefully that means U.S. dates in 2021. I also missed Pumpkins United, which has me still very bitter.  :censored
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1161 on: December 05, 2019, 08:38:02 AM »
With all new material, and probably an entirely new setlist will make that show a must see! :tup

I think the new setlist will have 3-4 new songs, some legit good songs that weren't played last time around (at least a "rarity" for each singer... say, Twilight of the Gods and Where the Rain Grows, and I need to hear Kai Hansen sing Victim of Fate, maybe with Andi Deris joining for the almost-spoken part) and the usual suspects.

I wonder if they'll still rely on playing both Halloween and Keeper of the Seven Keys in full, I wouldn't mind that especially if they'll keep the extra long format.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1162 on: December 05, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »

I think the new setlist will have 3-4 new songs, some legit good songs that weren't played last time around (at least a "rarity" for each singer... say, Twilight of the Gods and Where the Rain Grows, and I need to hear Kai Hansen sing Victim of Fate, maybe with Andi Deris joining for the almost-spoken part) and the usual suspects.

I wonder if they'll still rely on playing both Halloween and Keeper of the Seven Keys in full, I wouldn't mind that especially if they'll keep the extra long format.

Have you seen Kai Hansen's live show from Wacken?  He had Frank Beck sing Victim of Fate, and it is absolutely ripping.

One of the interviews with the band on the blu ray noted that they could do another tour with 70% different material.  If they hold true to that, then they may drastically change up the setlist and keep 5-7 songs the same. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1163 on: December 05, 2019, 11:13:09 AM »
I’ll take King Of 1000 Years, please.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1164 on: December 05, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
I’ll take King Of 1000 Years, please.

That was the biggest omission from the previous tour! it's also a nice bathroom break for Kiske.

And yes Grappler, I've seen that live version of Victim of Fate and it kicks ass!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1165 on: December 29, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
Update from Kai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRH1J7aH0kU

Love the chemistry in this band. There's a shot here of Kai and Andi. Wonderful.

Seems Charlie  is engineering and Dennis Ward is producing?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1166 on: January 06, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
I ordered the Better Than Raw re-issue, finally got around to listening today and was very impressed.
Not that familiar with the album, but it had everything I love about Helloween.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: January 07, 2020, 12:01:26 AM »
I ordered the Better Than Raw re-issue, finally got around to listening today and was very impressed.
Not that familiar with the album, but it had everything I love about Helloween.

Yep, cracker of an album.  The two bonus tracks tips the album into top tier territory and all the other extra material too is very cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1168 on: February 26, 2020, 08:13:33 PM »
European tour this fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0E4r8v1K70

Apparently Dirkshneider is opening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1169 on: March 09, 2020, 08:01:50 PM »
Ingo's family has started a YouTube channel in his memory for the 25th anniversary of his death.

Here is a drum cam video of Eagle Fly Free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbf7sxR1D8w

HOLY SHIT!! :omg:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1170 on: March 10, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
European tour this fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0E4r8v1K70

Apparently Dirkshneider is opening.

Bring that stateside!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1171 on: April 03, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUS_u21keA

I don't know what Andi was singing in the beginning of this video but it was sure as hell  :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: April 03, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »
I hope expectations for this aren't so high that no matter what they do, it will feel underwhelming.  I can't help but think that may be the case though.

Dunno if it's been mentioned by the band, but I hope Kai does a bit lead vocals also.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1173 on: April 03, 2020, 07:03:37 PM »
I hope expectations for this aren't so high that no matter what they do, it will feel underwhelming. 

Did you hear Andi at the beginning of this video? I am not the least bit worried about being underwhelmed. I also hope Kai has some lead vocals. I'd be surprised if he didn't honestly.

I thought Pumpkins United was a great song, so you could give me 10 of those and I'd be be quite happy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: April 03, 2020, 07:06:12 PM »
I hope expectations for this aren't so high that no matter what they do, it will feel underwhelming. 

Did you hear Andi at the beginning of this video? I am not the least bit worried about being underwhelmed. I also hope Kai has some lead vocals. I'd be surprised if he didn't honestly.

I thought Pumpkins United was a great song, so you could give me 10 of those and I'd be be quite happy.

Oh yeah it sounds excellent.  Just the hype is real and have to go in with a somewhat open mind.  With my love for the Andi era it shouldn't be a problem.

If they can replicate the quality of Pumpkins United, then we are in for a cracker.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1175 on: April 05, 2020, 02:47:52 AM »
Pumpkins United song was great teaser for the future, and proof that this lineup could exist beyond the "Pumpkins united tour".

This could be my most anticipated album release of this year. This is a wet dream lineup of Helloween, that nobody thought could be possible just a few years ago. There are a bunch of great songwriters in the band. The return of Kai has surely energized them in the songwriting front, which was showing signs of fatigue in the last two albums. There is also a lot they could do with the Hansen/Gerstner/Weikath triple guitars in terms of songwriting.

Then there is the elephant in the room of the double lead vocals of Kiske and Deris. It's hard to think of another band that has this kind of horsepower in front of the mic. If they just use what they have wisely, and craft some amazing tunes we are in for a treat for sure. I hope that this could sound like a "Mini Avantasia" with Kiske and Deris, with the occasional vocals by Hansen and maybe even Sascha!

In any case, the hype is real! :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1176 on: April 05, 2020, 03:04:01 AM »
Pumpkins United song was great teaser for the future, and proof that this lineup could exist beyond the "Pumpkins united tour".

This could be my most anticipated album release of this year. This is a wet dream lineup of Helloween, that nobody thought could be possible just a few years ago. There are a bunch of great songwriters in the band. The return of Kai has surely energized them in the songwriting front, which was showing signs of fatigue in the last two albums. There is also a lot they could do with the Hansen/Gerstner/Weikath triple guitars in terms of songwriting.

Then there is the elephant in the room of the double lead vocals of Kiske and Deris. It's hard to think of another band that has this kind of horsepower in front of the mic. If they just use what they have wisely, and craft some amazing tunes we are in for a treat for sure. I hope that this could sound like a "Mini Avantasia" with Kiske and Deris, with the occasional vocals by Hansen and maybe even Sascha!

In any case, the hype is real! :metal

I agree with everything about this!

Also, weird idea, but this video is once again proof of how Andi Deris is the only singer whose speaking voice I cannot reconcile with the singing voice. It feels like two totally different persons. Hell, even when he's actually speaking on stage, introducing the songs, he sounds different than when he normally speaks in interviews. Maybe he modules his voice when speaking on stage as well, to make it smoother as possible without straining while he's talking, dunno.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1177 on: April 05, 2020, 08:58:51 PM »
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I've never heard this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB-u2sEmBBs

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1178 on: April 05, 2020, 09:02:13 PM »
Andi has the biggest fucking nads in metal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: April 05, 2020, 09:47:33 PM »

I haven't been fortunate enough to see them.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1180 on: April 15, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »
Waiting fot this as hell. I was not satisfied (lightly speaking...) with My God Given Right, so I'm hoping for some classic Helloween stuff, and of course hope to hear three voices in there ;) :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: April 15, 2020, 07:06:55 PM »
Waiting fot this as hell. I was not satisfied (lightly speaking...) with My God Given Right, so I'm hoping for some classic Helloween stuff, and of course hope to hear three voices in there ;) :metal

I think a survivor is in order afterthe albums release.  :yarr

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: April 15, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »

Cody is the master of the survivors!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1183 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:15 AM »

Cody is the master of the survivors!

We'll thunk about that when the album will be released ;) I'm pretty sure that it will happen, I had to take a break after doing Deep Purple survivor which was very very long and very very strange :P

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1184 on: April 17, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
Idk what the context of this is but I agree.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »
The production on the last few has been very hit and miss. If only it was just Ward producing the new one. I wish they'd stay away from the overly produced and overly heavy sound of the last record. If Maiden can have a production sound similar to their old stuff these days, maybe Helloween can come up with a sound similar to the production of the keeper albums; something not so super crunchy and crisp. (Although i like be love the recent era, not so much MGGR )

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
Idk what the context of this is but I agree.

I just mean he's fearless vocally. I had just posted a cover of Catch The Rainbow.

He has never shied away from the Kiske material, and stood toe to toe with the man on stage. I have huge respect for him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
Great to see you come around on Andi Tim.  Guy is a legend.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2020, 08:02:30 PM »
Even though I literally owned every album, I never really clicked with them. But I tell you, after the Pumpkins United shows, and especially seeing him live and how fucking cool of a guy he comes off as, I can't help but root for him. Then of course my deep dive last year, I had a totally different mindset going in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
Even though I literally owned every album, I never really clicked with them. But I tell you, after the Pumpkins United shows, and especially seeing him live and how fucking cool of a guy he comes off as, I can't help but root for him. Then of course my deep dive last year, I had a totally different mindset going in.

I really liked his last solo album.  The Banker one, that had some great heavy tunes and lots of great melodies and choruses throughout.