Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 74773 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #945 on: August 13, 2019, 11:18:35 PM »
Missing the Los Angeles show was one of the biggest concert disappointments of my life (I had a family issue come up, and while I could have still gone, it would have been the wrong decision to do so), and to-date, I still haven't listened to Helloween because I just get all upset over missing one of my favorite singers (Kiske) sing songs from two of my favorite records (Keeper 1 and 2).

I hear you Bri. That was painful to read my man.

It's also the reason that since the Bruins lost in the Stanley Cup, I've been wearing a Providence Bruins hat all summer. :lol On full display in the TACation pics.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #946 on: August 14, 2019, 01:05:46 AM »
So I'm listening to Keeper: The Legacy tonight and I had this thought.

What do you guys think about the upcoming album? Any chance it's built on the Keeper concept?

Perhaps the tour could be Keeper promoted pulling tracks from the 1st two albums, as well as The Legacy and New Album.

There are spots in King Of 1000 Years that would fit Kai perfectly, and in Occasion Avenue where Kiske could slide into.

This could have been a good occasion to do a "third" Keeper album, doing a "fourth" would be overkill... plus when you have Kiske back you have already all the publicity needed, no actual need to make another Keeper to pump up the album.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to another Keeper concept in some way, but I assume they'll just concentrate on writing a stand alone album full of killer songs.

And yes, King for a 1000 Years should be in the next setlist, story wise it's a bit difficult to split it among singer because it's entirely sung from the point of view of the devil, but as you said Kai Hansen could take some spots here and there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

• don't not bother trying to find them
  • they won't not be coming for you
« Reply #947 on: August 14, 2019, 04:28:33 AM »
Was there even a Keeper "concept" to begin with? As far as I'm aware, the Keeper albums don't tell a story, & don't really have many musical similarities unless you count having a 13 minute song as a concept.

A fourth Keeper album would be nothing but a marketing gimmick imo, & I think that'd be a little disappointing, especially if it's as full of forced references as Pumpkins United was.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #948 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:05 AM »
Well, there kinda is a story if you want to. The album themselves are not concept albums, but in Halloween there's this evil lurking around and "Follow the sign", as short as it is, became kinda a recurring theme, being quoted in other songs.

Keeper of the Seven Keys is the actual main song of the saga, and in King for a 1000 Years the devil imprisoned by the seven keys breaks free finding a human alley, and in My Life for One More day we find the Keeper himself who urges the fight to carry on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: August 14, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

A fourth Keeper album would be nothing but a marketing gimmick imo, & I think that'd be a little disappointing, especially if it's as full of forced references as Pumpkins United was.

Well, I thought The Legacy album was a marketing gimmick. I think when bands do this, to me it says they're out of ideas. I bought it anyway and listened a few times, but my prejudices held me back.

But my deep dive on the Deris Era has revealed a couple things about The Legacy. One, it's one of the strongest top to bottom albums of this era, and two, it might have my favorite song as well.

Bands are full of marketing gimmicks. Hell, it's how DT has planned their last two tours.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #950 on: August 14, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »
Maybe they should have just called the album another way, and still keep the couple (or three? I remember reading about The Invisible Man being about the Keeper too...) of songs about the Keeper and that's it. It would have fared better.

Gamma Ray's Land of the Free II is an amazing album, but nobody takes it seriously because of it being a sequel.

Online Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: August 14, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »
Maybe they should have just called the album another way, and still keep the couple (or three? I remember reading about The Invisible Man being about the Keeper too...) of songs about the Keeper and that's it. It would have fared better.

Gamma Ray's Land of the Free II is an amazing album, but nobody takes it seriously because of it being a sequel.

A shame too because Land of the Free 2 is the best post-2000s Gamma Ray record.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: August 14, 2019, 09:29:24 AM »

True. Good call.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

• don't not bother trying to find them
  • they won't not be coming for you
« Reply #953 on: August 15, 2019, 02:06:15 AM »
Operation Mindcrime II :hefdaddy

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #954 on: August 15, 2019, 03:19:45 AM »

I never bothered with it, never heard it all, not a note.
On these recommendations I have just ordered a used copy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
You won't be disappointed.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:37 PM »
I'm on vacation but I'm still listening.

Going through Rabbit and The Legacy, these are the songs moving on...

Rabbit Don't Come Easy

Just A Little Sign
Open Your Life
The Tune
Sun 4 The World
Hell Was Made In Heaven
Listen To The Flies

Keeper: The Legacy

King For 1000 Years
The Invisible Man
Born On Judgement Day
Pleasure Drone
Silent Rain

Occasion Avenue
Do You Know What You Are Fighting For
The Shade In The Shadow

My Life For One More Day
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:15:23 AM by TAC »

Offline wolfking

« Reply #957 on: August 16, 2019, 11:59:23 PM »
Land of the Free 2 just missed out on my top 50.  It was 51.  Amazing album.

Tim, I'm glad that 5 Rabbit songs are moving on.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #958 on: August 17, 2019, 01:34:10 AM »
Land of the Free 2 just missed out on my top 50.  It was 51.  Amazing album.

Shame that "Open Your Life" isn't moving up. My favorite from Rabbit and probably among my top.10 of Deris era.

Has anyone seen the new trailer for "United Alive"? Looks spectacular! Can't wait to buy the blu-ray, and play it through a good sound system.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: August 17, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »

Yes. Not sure how much further they'll get. I'm ultimately trying to get to a Top 10. Decisions will be quite tough moving forward. There are only 3 songs I know for sure that are making the Top 10. Some songs I am moving forward not because they have a chance of making it, but because I think they should at least be Top 25 worthy. I feel like this is more where the Rabbit songs fit.

Shame that "Open Your Life" isn't moving up. My favorite from Rabbit and probably among my top.10 of Deris era.

I know, right? It was basically between that and Sun 4 The World. I felt like I had to cut one song here. There isn't much wiggle room between most of these songs. They are all basically equally as good. Getting it down to a ore manageable list will only be more painful.

Online Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: August 17, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
It was basically between that and Sun 4 The World. I felt like I had to cut one song here.

You chose the wrong one!
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: August 17, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »
OK...you guys happy now?  :lol

Offline wolfking

« Reply #962 on: August 17, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
Tim not selecting Open Your Life shows the Rabbit naysayers how strong it really is.