Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179079 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #910 on: August 05, 2019, 05:06:22 AM »
from SOOH, these are the ones I could do without:

World of War
Make Fire Catch the Fly

Wow!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #911 on: August 05, 2019, 05:47:21 AM »

Helloween is one of the most inconsistent 'big' metal bands around. It's like they'll release one really good album and then put out duds for a few years before coming back with something awesome.

I disagree. I find them incredibly consistent.

Chameleon is a dud, but that was a totally fractured band at that point. I'm going chronologically through the Deris albums, and SOOH is the only one so far I feel is a notch below. Every other ranges from very good to excellent.

Yeah I strongly disagree with that too.  Besides MGGR, everything from the Deris era IMO is excellent.

Unfortunately they never figured out production. 7 Sinners sounds great, but literally every other record is poorly produced imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #912 on: August 05, 2019, 08:30:29 PM »
Just finished two listens to My God Given Right, and honestly, I think I'm good. Easily the weakest Deris album.

I could really only pick 4 songs to make the cut, but I can't see them making it past the last round.

My God Given Right

Heroes
My God Given Right
Swing Of A Fallen World
Creatures In Heaven
Claws
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: August 05, 2019, 08:32:21 PM »
Kind of surprised not to see Claws on there, honestly. I remember reading a lot of opinions when the album was fresh and that generally seemed to be one of the crowd favorites.

Can we talk about that album art for a sec? It really looks like it came out of 1994.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #914 on: August 05, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
Kind of surprised not to see Claws on there, honestly.

Fixed. I forgot to add that.  Another track that isn't making past the next cut though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
So, in my quest to create a Deris Era Top 10, I have chosen 64 songs to represent their respective albums in the next round.

Oh boy, this is going to be tough...

I think my next choice is to get down to 24 or 30.

Master Of The Rings

Sole Survivor
Still We Go

The Time Of The Oath

We Burn
Steel Tormentor
Power
Before The War
Kings Will Be Kings
Mission Motherland
The Time Of The Oath

Better Than Raw

Falling Higher
Hey Lord
Don't Spit On My Mind
Revelation
Time
Midnight Sun
Back On The Ground

The Dark Ride

All Over The Nations
Salvation
We Damn The Night
Immortal
The Dark Ride
Maddening Of The Crowds
Delinering Us From Evil

Rabbit Don't Come Easy

Just A Little Sign
Open Your Life
The Tune
Sun 4 The World
Hell Was Made In Heaven
Listen To The Flies

Keeper: The Legacy

King For 1000 Years
The Invisible Man
Born On Judgement Day
Pleasure Drone
Silent Rain

Occasion Avenue
Do You Know What You Are Fighting For
The Shade In The Shadow
My Life For One More Day

Gambling With The Devil

The Saints
Paint A New World
Final Fortune
The Bells Of The 7 Hells
Dreambound
Heaven Tells No Lies
We Unite
Find My Freedom
See The Night

7 Sinners

Who Is Mr. Madman?
Long Live The King
You Stupid Mankind
If A Mountain Could Talk
My Sacrifice
Far In The Future
I'm Free

Straight Out Of Hell

World Of War
Burning Sun
Waiting For The Thunder
Years
Make Fire Catch The Fly

My God Given Right

Heroes
My God Given Right
Swing Of A Fallen World
Creatures In Heaven
Claws

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2019, 08:51:13 PM »
I can mostly get down with that list. Very nice. Good luck narrowing it down past that though!   :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2019, 11:29:13 PM »
Good luck Tim.  You've got quite a task ahead of you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #918 on: August 06, 2019, 02:18:27 AM »
I'm still baffled by seeing only two songs from MOTR in the selection. There is so much gold on that record. I'd have a hard time picking two songs I don't like as much.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #919 on: August 06, 2019, 02:22:52 AM »
I Can and Straight Out of Hell are huge omissions for me but otherwise great list.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #920 on: August 06, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
Back on the Ground is a great song with a nontraditional structure. should have made the full album.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #921 on: August 06, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »
Regarding My God-Given Right;

I have a hunch that the reunion was already locked in at that point, but they had recently inked a deal with Nuclear Blast, and thus were contractually obligated in doing a studio album in a reasonable timeframe. That meant that My God-Given Right ended up being a hastily thrown together album, just to meet with the terms of the record deal.

A lot of the tracks on MGGR feel like b sides, and i have a feeling that is for a reason. All of this is speculation on my part!

With that being said, i really like "Creatures in Heaven"! It's catchy and has a uplifting feel to it, not to mention some great guitar parts. If only it were on a better album...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #922 on: August 06, 2019, 01:01:39 PM »
It's interesting that they had no less than thirteen songs to go for a "hastily thrown together" album. That's a lot of songs. I think they worked on it as hard as they did on the other ones, but for some reason, it didn't work as well.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: August 06, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
Back on the Ground is a great song with a nontraditional structure. should have made the full album.

Agree.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #924 on: August 06, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
Good luck Tim.  You've got quite a task ahead of you.

Yes! So I really used to roll my eyes when someone said, there are so many good tunes, I can't pick a favorite.

The thing is, there are a lot of great tunes, even though nothing really spine tingles me. But they are all equally damn f'n good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #925 on: August 06, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
I'm still baffled by seeing only two songs from MOTR in the selection. There is so much gold on that record. I'd have a hard time picking two songs I don't like as much.

I think it's pretty weak compared to the rest of the discog. I don't love Perfect Gentleman but it was great live and showed the camaraderie of the band.

Just gave it another listen to see what moves on.

Master Of The Rings

Sole Survivor
Still We Go

And even though Still We Go moves on, it's doubtful it makes it past the next round of cut downs.

The Time Of The Oath

We Burn
Steel Tormentor

Power
Before The War
Kings Will Be Kings
Mission Motherland
The Time Of The Oath

I feel like the band was more in a groove on their second album together. Oath feels way more cohesive than Rings.

Pretty confident Power makes it all the way to the Top 10.

What do you guys think of The Time Of The Oath (the song)? I originally had it crossed out, but uncrossed it as I was listening. It doesn't hit you over the head, but that is one solid tune. It would make a great Dio song. Not sure how far it will ultimately get, but that could be a sleeper.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:33:44 PM by TAC »

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #926 on: August 06, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
It's interesting that they had no less than thirteen songs to go for a "hastily thrown together" album. That's a lot of songs. I think they worked on it as hard as they did on the other ones, but for some reason, it didn't work as well.

I'm still confused at what y'all have against MGGR, but I should mention that (according to the album's Wikipedia page and its citation) they had 33-34 songs written, but got someone else from the record label to choose which songs went on the album, as they didn't want to be biased in choosing them.

Interestingly, that means that aside from the 13 album tracks and 5 bonus tracks, there are another 15-16 songs that still have yet to see the light of day. :o
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: August 06, 2019, 10:29:38 PM »
What do you guys think of The Time Of The Oath (the song)? I originally had it crossed out, but uncrossed it as I was listening. It doesn't hit you over the head, but that is one solid tune. It would make a great Dio song. Not sure how far it will ultimately get, but that could be a sleeper.

Really good and something a bit different.  Always been a big fan.  Not sure it's top 10 material, but a great song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #928 on: August 07, 2019, 01:05:27 AM »

It's a great song, an epic and eerie piece that works well as a title track and as a preview of "darker" Helloween. Great song, I'm glad I got to hear it live but they'll probably never play it again 'cause Grapow wrote it...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: August 07, 2019, 01:16:43 AM »
I still think in regards to the Deris era of Helloween, his first four albums with the band are the best. I have no problem with anyone loving anything from Rabbit-MGGR, I definitely like a lot of the material too. But I remember the first time I listened to Rabbit and I thought this was a big downgrade from the other Deris albums and I never changed my mind.  I had that same thought for every subsequent release too

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: August 07, 2019, 03:41:46 AM »
I still think in regards to the Deris era of Helloween, his first four albums with the band are the best. I have no problem with anyone loving anything from Rabbit-MGGR, I definitely like a lot of the material too. But I remember the first time I listened to Rabbit and I thought this was a big downgrade from the other Deris albums and I never changed my mind.  I had that same thought for every subsequent release too

I would have thought Gambling and 7 Sinners would be up your alley mate.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #931 on: August 07, 2019, 06:22:50 AM »
Found out that today it's also Weiki's birthday! he shares it with Bruce Dickinson  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #932 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:05 AM »
Found out that today it's also Weiki's birthday! he shares it with Bruce Dickinson  :metal

And he doesn’t look too happy about it.  ;D

Offline NotePad

« Reply #933 on: August 07, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
i actually love SOoH, and feel MGGR is their weakest album in a long time.
anyone else feel the production on Gambling is weak? it's a great album, like they did the Helloween version of Painkiller, but the production quality sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: August 07, 2019, 08:13:22 AM »
i actually love SOoH, and feel MGGR is their weakest album in a long time.
anyone else feel the production on Gambling is weak? it's a great album, like they did the Helloween version of Painkiller, but the production quality sucks.

I personally don't think the production on Gambling is weak, but there is some weird processing going on with a lot of Andi's vocals in some songs. There's a treble-y sound to the mix that I kind of like particularly on songs like Final Fortune which is a SUPER underrated track imo, but I can understand people not liking the way Gambling sounds. There is something different about it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #935 on: August 09, 2019, 05:35:19 AM »
Sole Survivor
We Burn
Steel Tormentor
wtf, these are all my favorites!  :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #936 on: August 12, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »
OK...been travelling. Finishing the first cuts on the next two albums, wrapping up the Grapow Era.

Better Than Raw

Falling Higher
Hey Lord
Don't Spit On My Mind
Revelation
Time

Midnight Sun
Back On The Ground

The Dark Ride

All Over The Nations
Salvation
We Damn The Night
Immortal
The Dark Ride
The Madness Of The Crowds
Delinering Us From Evil

I wanted to move the Dark Ride songs through, but honestly, I'm not sure how much further they will get.

Hey Lord is likely making it to the Top 10.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #937 on: August 12, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »
So, these would be my Top 16 of the Grapow Era..

Master Of The Rings

Still We Go

The Time Of The Oath

Power
Before The War
Kings Will Be Kings
Mission Motherland
The Time Of The Oath

Better Than Raw

Falling Higher
Hey Lord
Don't Spit On My Mind
Midnight Sun
Back On The Ground

The Dark Ride

All Over The Nations
Salvation
We Damn The Night
Immortal
The Dark Ride

On to the next 6 albums..

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #938 on: August 13, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »
Opinion immediately invalidated due to lack of PUSH!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #939 on: August 13, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
hey everyone. I am sorry to interrupt the current thread, but I have a couple of questions regarding United Alive's release, and hoping someone with more knowledge can help me.

First, the Blu-Ray release only appears to be available in the UK and EU. I visited amazon.co.uk to buy it (I live in the United States), but noticed it was being released in Region B2. I did some cursory looking around at whether that region will play, but I don't remember the model number of my Samsung 4K Blu-Ray player I use, and my other two Blu-Ray players are PS4 and PS3 game systems, respectively. Some my long-winded question is, does anyone know if Region B2 will for sure play in a Samsung 4k Blu-Ray player (without me knowing off-hand the model number)? I don't want to spend and then pop it in and it not play.

Second, I pre-ordered the Orange Vinyl box set the day it was available (how can you be a Helloween fan with a turntable and NOT buy the orange - lol). But I can't see if the vinyl set will include a download card. I generally now listen to only vinyl at home, and listen to digital everywhere else (my CDs are displayed and racked on a huge wall, but I can't tell you the last time I did anything with a CD other than rip it to digital). So, I need to know if I have to fork over an extra 15 bucks for the digital version, or if my vinyl box will contain a digital download card in it. Does anyone know?

Missing the Los Angeles show was one of the biggest concert disappointments of my life (I had a family issue come up, and while I could have still gone, it would have been the wrong decision to do so), and to-date, I still haven't listened to Helloween because I just get all upset over missing one of my favorite singers (Kiske) sing songs from two of my favorite records (Keeper 1 and 2). I am NOT missing them if/when they come back again. Anyway, I am excited to get the United Alive release(s) and enjoy them, and just want to make sure of what I need to purchase.

Thanks gang.

B
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #940 on: August 13, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
I would doubt there would be a download card, NB releases very rarely contain them at all.
If it did it would surely state this on their website.

No idea about the BR, my old Samsung BR player would play anything but B1 BR discs :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: August 13, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
Samsara, sorry to hear about that. I have no idea if you'll have a download code or not but the USA Nuclear Blast website has the 2 Blu-ray version for sale...

https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/dvd-bluray/2bluray/helloween-united-alive-2br-.html

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #942 on: August 13, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Samsara, sorry to hear about that. I have no idea if you'll have a download code or not but the USA Nuclear Blast website has the 2 Blu-ray version for sale...

https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/dvd-bluray/2bluray/helloween-united-alive-2br-.html

Thanks on that. Weird that it's not on US Amazon then. And on the Helloween website, it does not have a link to a US-based version to buy. Appreciate the link. I'll buy it there.

I would doubt there would be a download card, NB releases very rarely contain them at all.
If it did it would surely state this on their website.

No idea about the BR, my old Samsung BR player would play anything but B1 BR discs :)

Thanks for the info. I guess they'll be getting three purchases from me. The Blu-Ray set, the Vinyl set, and a download. Damn this is an expensive band.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #943 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:47 PM »
Opinion immediately invalidated due to lack of PUSH!

It's the chorus, man. The rest of the song is pretty intense, but the chorus lets it down big time for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #944 on: August 13, 2019, 11:14:07 PM »
So I'm listening to Keeper: The Legacy tonight and I had this thought.

What do you guys think about the upcoming album? Any chance it's built on the Keeper concept?

Perhaps the tour could be Keeper promoted pulling tracks from the 1st two albums, as well as The Legacy and New Album.

There are spots in King Of 1000 Years that would fit Kai perfectly, and in Occasion Avenue where Kiske could slide into.