Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179728 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #595 on: October 14, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »
I like the name Pumpkins United. As great as they are when they play it straight, ie Dark Ride, they've always had that quirky german humour.

I like the song. But i kinda wish it was just Andi and Kiske on vocals. I am not a fan of Kai's vocals. Although if there is a new album with the whole United crew, his songwriting would definitely be welcomed.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #596 on: October 14, 2017, 08:03:22 AM »
Nerd stuff: when you register for the free download of the song on their site, you can see the legalities on the Impressum section of the site, and among other things it says:

LEGAL DISCLOsure

INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 5 TMG

HELLOWEEN GBR
KAISERALLEE 62
76185 KARLSRUHE
GERMANY

REPRESENTED BY

ANDREAS DERIS
MICHAEL WEIKATH
MARKUS GROSSKOPF

So the Helloween name / brand is located formally in Karlsruhe and it's owned by the two original members who never left and Andi Deris?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #597 on: October 14, 2017, 08:07:06 AM »
Weiki once said the name Helloween was owned by Ingo's brother. Perhaps that has changed since then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: October 14, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
I will obviously have to listen to it again. First listen was goid but didn't blow me away.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #599 on: October 15, 2017, 03:25:23 AM »
Song is really cool, classic power metal with a nice bit of heaviness in the post-chorus (the "red hot" thing). I think the three vocalist thing was a little muddled though. I think that it should've been one verse = one vocalist rather that switching every few lines. It was all just a bit "oh look there's Kai Hansen, now there's Michael Kiske!" in the space of a few seconds.

I hope all of this Pumpkins United stuff doesn't get in the way of the band producing another album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:56 AM »
Nerd stuff: when you register for the free download of the song on their site, you can see the legalities on the Impressum section of the site, and among other things it says:

LEGAL DISCLOsure

INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 5 TMG

HELLOWEEN GBR
KAISERALLEE 62
76185 KARLSRUHE
GERMANY

REPRESENTED BY

ANDREAS DERIS
MICHAEL WEIKATH
MARKUS GROSSKOPF

So the Helloween name / brand is located formally in Karlsruhe and it's owned by the two original members who never left and Andi Deris?

Interesting that Deris has ownership of the name too.  I wonder when that actually happened.

I hope all of this Pumpkins United stuff doesn't get in the way of the band producing another album.

This is my fear too.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #601 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:37 AM »
The suffix GbR is the name of a legal form of a company in Germany. And the three members listed are the representatives of that company. Not sure if that means they own the band name too. Probably only when the company owns the band name and not one single person.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #602 on: October 15, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
I have listened the new song a few times now, and really grown to love it!

This song to me is also further proof, that they could absolutely pull this off as a full time thing.

At first listen, hearing them sing together was weird and pretty distracting. Second and third time, their vocal harmonies felt like a second nature. This setup also allows them to utilize the different voices of Andi and Michael more effectively.

Let Kiske do the high-pitched choruses, since Andi is clearly not comfortable with that. Let Deris do the lower register singing, with the occasional scream like in the new song. Throw in some backing vocals from Kai!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #603 on: October 15, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
Let Kiske do the high-pitched choruses, since Andi is clearly not comfortable with that. Let Deris do the lower register singing, with the occasional scream like in the new song. Throw in some backing vocals from Kai!

Indeed! It's great how the song seems perfectly tailored to all singers - Kiske's parts are so, well, Kiske-ish, and Andi's "red hot!" harsh screams are something typical from his songs. This is a brilliant combination that works better than we could hope for!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #604 on: October 15, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
It would be a dream come true to have a full album, at least, of Kiske-Kai-Deris, but then on the other hand I feel like it's just diminishing Andi's role in the band and all the music they've put out with him over the years. Not like they've ever really gotten out of filling their sets with Kiske material instead of just moving on and playing only-Deris sets...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #605 on: October 15, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
, but then on the other hand I feel like it's just diminishing Andi's role in the band 

Isn't that the point? :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #606 on: October 15, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
It would be a dream come true to have a full album, at least, of Kiske-Kai-Deris, but then on the other hand I feel like it's just diminishing Andi's role in the band and all the music they've put out with him over the years. Not like they've ever really gotten out of filling their sets with Kiske material instead of just moving on and playing only-Deris sets...

Well, last tour they opened with 2 Kiske songs, and closed with 2 Kiske songs. Everything in between was from the Deris era

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »

Well, last tour they opened with 2 Kiske songs, and closed with 2 Kiske songs. Everything in between was from the Deris era

And then Kiske and Kai show up  :lol But that's good, I didn't follow their tour for the last album, strongly disliked it.

, but then on the other hand I feel like it's just diminishing Andi's role in the band 

Isn't that the point? :neverusethis:

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
Re: ownership of Helloween brand

It would not surprise me in the slightest if Deris was an official owner of the brand. He's been with them for what now, 27 years? Makes sense that they would have worked him into the corporate ownership by now. I can't think of other examples at the moment off the top of my head, but it has been done before. :)

Re: Pumpkins United (the song)

I like it. It sounds like Helloween, and hearing all the singers is cool. I have always preferred Kiske to Deris. And Hansen is obviously a throwback to the band's first couple of releases, which are more thrash than anything. I appreciate the token track from this whole Pumpkins United "era" of the band, and hope it is a permanent thing. I enjoy post-Kiske Helloween to a degree, but as I said, to me, Kiske is the band's classic singer. Having all of them together (if it works both ego-wise and money-wise) would be a treat. Still fingers crossed for 2018 U.S. dates.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »
Still fingers crossed for 2018 U.S. dates.

On every email from enterthevault.com I've received the last several months at the very bottom it reads "Stay tuned for..." followed by several bands, one of which is Helloween. I fully expect a Pumpkins United tour, however small, to come to the USA next year.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
Still fingers crossed for 2018 U.S. dates.

On every email from enterthevault.com I've received the last several months at the very bottom it reads "Stay tuned for..." followed by several bands, one of which is Helloween. I fully expect a Pumpkins United tour, however small, to come to the USA next year.

:metal :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »
A brazilian rock site reported that the 2 shows in Brazil will be filmed for a bluray release:
https://whiplash.net/materias/news_774/271880-helloween.html
I found interesting that these are the second and third shows of the tour, right?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
They're probably picking the crowd, rather than the show. They'll know the south american fans will go nuts, and the singers will all be fresh and rested anyway. And delaying too late the recording may avoid also that Kiske and Weikath suddenly turn on each other again  :lol

Anyway, tour's starting tonight, so now my quest to arrive at my own concert in an exact month without knowing the setlist begins. So long, thread!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2017, 10:20:40 AM »
Yes, good points!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
I'm seeing the band in about a month, so there's no chance to avoid the set list until then. I'll stick around and discuss it with you guys.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
I'm seeing the band in about a month, so there's no chance to avoid the set list until then.

Don't read this thread.
Don't watch on YouTube Helloween videos, 'cause the newest ones will be shown as suggestion.
Don't follow on Facebook groups or pages about Helloween.

That's what I did with Iron Maiden last year, and I was able to know next to nothing of the setlist; I stumbled only on clips of Fear of the Dark (uuuuuh who would have guessed) and Death or Glory (which I thought they'd play, but I didn't want proper confirmation until the show).

Yeah, I'm kinda an extremist when it comes to avoid setlist spoilers :D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
Don't read this thread.
Don't watch on YouTube Helloween videos, 'cause the newest ones will be shown as suggestion.
Don't follow on Facebook groups or pages about Helloween.
Not reading this thread isn't impossible, but what might be a problem is that suggestions would pop up on YouTube all the time, and I would immediately have to unfollow dozens and dozens of friends on Facebook that could spoil the set list for me. That's quite difficult.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #617 on: October 19, 2017, 10:36:34 AM »
Yeah, FB friends are the real wild card. Luckily, even though I have many metalheads on FB, no one miracolously posted YouTube videos of Maiden concerts in the months before the concert, I was lucky  :D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
A brazilian rock site reported that the 2 shows in Brazil will be filmed for a bluray release:
https://whiplash.net/materias/news_774/271880-helloween.html
I found interesting that these are the second and third shows of the tour, right?

HELL YES.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #619 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:55 AM »
I'll see this in April 2018, there's no way I'm going to hold on. I'll search the setlist and look at it as soon as it appears anywhere.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #620 on: October 20, 2017, 03:57:46 AM »
There is indeed a setlist of Mexico show in their Facebook site! Some surprises I'd say...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: October 20, 2017, 05:32:45 AM »
The setlist is actually totally different to the one we thought might have been from that video with Andi and the songs on the whiteboard.  I think they've put together a very good set, and fans can't really be disappointed IMO.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:58:05 AM by wolfking »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #622 on: October 20, 2017, 05:57:31 AM »
The set list is tremendous.  :hefdaddy

Offline Art

« Reply #623 on: October 20, 2017, 07:01:57 AM »
Love the setlist, excited for the show next week!!!!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: October 20, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
My Lord that setlist is absolutely amazing. Fingers and toes crossed for a west coast date or two of the U.S. next year. Man...incredible setlist.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:56 AM »
Ok I'm ready for the live album today!!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #626 on: October 20, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
Mine is 28th od November, can't wait too, and I don't want to see the setlist before the show ;)

Offline Art

« Reply #627 on: October 20, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
Mine is 28th od November, can't wait too, and I don't want to see the setlist before the show ;)

Have a great show! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #628 on: October 20, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
Link to the setlist or a PM please.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol