Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179699 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
From what Deris said, I would anticipate this being more of a permanent thing. As long as they can pull it off money-wise (having two singers on the payroll can get expensive), I see no reason why they couldn't. Deris' comment about not having to perform the high pitched Kiske songs is hysterical. I think Andi should stick to his own era, honestly. I never cared for him singing Kiske-era tunes anyway.

So if it works out that the tour is successful, and they all get along great, and they attempt writing something together, and that all goes great, then if the money issues get sorted, I'd be pretty happy if this was permanent.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
I thought Deris was always alright on the Kiske stuff, considering how different his voice is.  I guess time will tell and the developments of this will be interesting.

Being a permanent thing live would be cool, but I think might be more harder to sustain in a studio environment.  Do you make it as jj said earlier, a permanent Allen/Lande style affair, but every album from now on would be like that, which would be a bit weird IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: February 16, 2017, 03:17:45 PM »
I think Helloween has become a little stale the last few releases.  I've bought them all and like them, but I think the band needed to make a change.  I can't imagine any fan wanted Andi out of the band, but by adding Kai/Michael, I can't see them upsetting any of the fanbase, but rather just making more people happy.

I think this is a good final chapter/s for the band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »
Nicely said Jason.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
I liked what Mushroomhead did on their last album, so I am optimistic about them doing an album with both.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #530 on: March 15, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
I love the current Helloween line-up and would be disappointed if they booted Deris for Kiske. I love the more progressive songs like Dreambound and Heaven Tells No Lies, but they dont write them like that enough and NEVER play them live.

My ideal situation would be the current line-up with the addition of Kai, and do what Maiden did. He writes really great stuff like Rebellion In Dreamland and Avalon. which is a style I'd love to hear from the current Helloween. Hell, even older Helloween too. I'v always felt Land of The Free should have been the album Helloween did after Keeper 2. Had that been so, they would have Iron Maiden status, worldwide.

As for this reunion tour. we don't need to hear more of Deris singing Kiske era songs. But Kiske singing Deris material could be awesome.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #531 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
As for this reunion tour. we don't need to hear more of Deris singing Kiske era songs.

From the latest interviews, looks like Deris is the first looking forward to this  ;D

Which Deris songs would you all want to hear from Kiske? I'd say off the top off my head:

Power (but it's his most "classic" song in a sense so he should keep it)
Where the Rain Grows
I Can
Hell was Made in Heaven
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: September 04, 2017, 05:43:50 AM »
Dunno if it's worth posting my thoughts here, but I've had a listen to the new Helloween cover album Roland and Masterplan have done.  This has to be one of the most pointless releases I've ever come across.  I don't understand this, and to me this is just a bitter Roland having a dummy spit and saying "fuck you guys, my bands better and I'll do my songs better than they were before to spite you."

Altzi is a fine singer and really enjoyable but he has no business singing these songs, and especially the Deris ones which is surprising.  Deris cops it for his vox compared to Kiske but when someone can't get anywhere near the quality of what he does, he must be pretty special.  The Dark Ride inparticular is really terrible vocal wise.

There is just no point to this.  Half the songs no one gives a shit about, nothing too drastic with these songs to give a fuck about and the production is shit just last the last studio album.  Also, if this came out a year after a studio album as a stop gap type of release, righto, but the last studio album was in 2013 and we get this shit 4 years later bar also a crap live release.  I really love Roland and this band but this feels like he's taking the piss here.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #533 on: September 04, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
https://youtu.be/vt3XmsVYEaI
Check this out, if You didn't yet. Andi is talking about rehearsals for upcoming Pumpkins United tour and in the background you can see the setlist. It's awesome! Starlight, dr stein, Dreambound !! , Kings Will Be Kings, Halloween!!!!!, The Invisible Man !!! And many others ! Now I'm very looking forward to November!!! We have Pumpkins United in Warsaw and my ticket is waiting :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #534 on: September 04, 2017, 06:47:15 PM »
   I really love Roland and this band but this feels like he's taking the piss here.

:lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #535 on: September 05, 2017, 02:31:38 AM »
I hoped I would avoid spoilers, but oh well. Dreambound? Holy Lord!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2017, 06:03:14 AM »
https://youtu.be/vt3XmsVYEaI
Check this out, if You didn't yet. Andi is talking about rehearsals for upcoming Pumpkins United tour and in the background you can see the setlist. It's awesome! Starlight, dr stein, Dreambound !! , Kings Will Be Kings, Halloween!!!!!, The Invisible Man !!! And many others ! Now I'm very looking forward to November!!! We have Pumpkins United in Warsaw and my ticket is waiting :)

Don't see Dreambound on there man.

Don't want to give away any more, but tracks 3 and 6 are amazing, obscure selections.  Missing a hell of a lot of songs from the albums that come after that album with those tracks I mentioned for my liking, but I guess it's hard with the amount of material they have.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »
What's the timestamp for the setlist? Or Kade, you could PM me the setlist!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: September 05, 2017, 06:17:58 AM »
What's the timestamp for the setlist? Or Kade, you could PM me the setlist!

It's in the video on the whiteboard behind Andi.  The video poster has also posted it in the comments of the vid.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: September 05, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
*Spoiler below, kind of*

I actually think that setlist is really really disappointing. Some great ones in there like I said, but I'm sorry to spoil, but did the band not exist past Better Than Raw.  One song post Better Than Raw, seriously?!?

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #540 on: September 05, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
I'm agree with You Wolf, for me it's not a problem because I saw them three times, after 7 Sinners, after Straight From Hell and after God so I had even too much of their new stuff ;) but I understand that for a fan who doesn't seen them it's not so cool. They could bring up something from The Dark Ride, or more tracks from Keeper 3, it is a great album. Anyway I'm happy I will see Helloween again. Sorry for the spoilers in my post about the video ;)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #541 on: September 05, 2017, 08:03:44 AM »
Just for fun, I was listening to Helloween a lot this weekend and decided to rank their albums:

Nearly flawless:
1. Gambling With The Devil - one of the best power metal albums ever made
2. 7 Sinners
3. The Dark Ride

Awesome:
4. Walls of Jericho
5. Straight Out Of Hell
6. Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 2
7. Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1

Pretty good:
8. Better Than Raw
9. Time of the Oath

Decent:
10. Rabbit Don't Come Easy
11. Master of the Rings

Should never be spoken of again:
12. Unarmed
13. Keeper of the Seven Keys - The Legacy
14. My God-Given Right
15. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
16. Chameleon

Basically, for me, they did some great stuff on their first 3 albums, took a massive nosedive with the next two, and spent the next 20 years making a steady climb back up, with the occasional embarrassing flop (My God-Given Right is the worst offender, god that album sucks).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #542 on: September 05, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »
My God-Given Right is awesome.

Gambling With The Devil includes Can Do It. Helloweens worst song.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #543 on: September 05, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Huh, I think that Helloween is one of those bands which particular albums never will find the same fans. How many times I heard that Gambling is the worst, and then I heard fron others that Gambling is the best :) The same story is with My God Given Right. For me My God Given Right is very mehhhhh album, definitly the worst with Deris, sorry but that's my opinion. I love The Dark Ride and Better Than Raw, The Time Of The Oath is right behind them.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #544 on: September 05, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
I think i tried to rank Helloween albums once before, and couldn't get very far..

They have been very consistent during their career. Every album has it's highlights.

And what is up with Keeper Legacy being at n. 13? It has a bunch of awesome songs..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: September 05, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
Yeah, I agree, Cody. I've never seen two Helloween fans with the same general opinions on their post-PBGA/Chameleon albums. On the plus side, that has made for some VERY fun discussions standing in lines outside venues.  :biggrin:

My God-Given Right is awesome.

Gambling With The Devil includes Can Do It. Helloweens worst song.

I'm not exaggerating, the only song that did not make me say "That sucked" at the end was Claws, and even that was a letdown even compared to some of the less than stellar tracks on Straight Out Of Hell. I can think of an album's worth of songs worse than Can Do It! Nothing To Say comes to mind immediately, Far From The Stars...

Plus Gambling's other tunes more than make up for Can Do It. The Saints are marching in, baby!  :metal  :biggrin:

I think i tried to rank Helloween albums once before, and couldn't get very far..

They have been very consistent during their career. Every album has it's highlights.

And what is up with Keeper Legacy being at n. 13? It has a bunch of awesome songs..

Personally, I think Helloween is one of the most inconsistent bands around, honestly. Seems like they have 2-3 album streaks where they kill it, then they dip in quality for a bit, then they bounce back. I personally can't stand Legacy, don't listen to any songs on it, and think it was unnecessary to even call it Keepers Legacy. But that's just me, I'm a Gambling fan, sooo...  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #546 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
I thought My God-Given right was consistenly good but only at several points great. It was still a fun release to rock out to. Straight out of hell hat more great songs but also its fair share of stinkers. Gambling is mostly amazing, but Can do it does drag it down. The 7 sinners, aside from the first two songs, is brilliant, and easily my favorite Helloween album in the last 10 years.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #547 on: September 05, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
If I had to rank Helloween albums it would be probably impossible. On every album there are songs that are my stand alone favourites. I could make my Best Of Helloween Konrad's CD easier than rank the albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: September 05, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
Should never be spoken of again:
12. Unarmed
13. Keeper of the Seven Keys - The Legacy
14. My God-Given Right
15. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
16. Chameleon

Basically, for me, they did some great stuff on their first 3 albums, took a massive nosedive with the next two, and spent the next 20 years making a steady climb back up, with the occasional embarrassing flop (My God-Given Right is the worst offender, god that album sucks).

Keeper 3 is a fantastic album.

My God Given Right is okay.  Not one of their strongest but a solid album that just could have used more heaviness.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #549 on: September 05, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
Pink Bubbles has so many great songs. A definite step down from the Keepers albums, but it has aged very well.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #550 on: September 05, 2017, 11:41:41 PM »
OK, what the hell(oween), let's give it a try. Here is how I would rank their albums.

1. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II
2. Better Than Raw
3. The Time of the Oath
4. Master of the Rings
5. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I
6. Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy
7. Chameleon
8. The Dark Ride
9. Gambling with the Devil
10. Straight Out of Hell
11. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
12. 7 Sinners
13. Walls of Jericho
14. Rabbit Don't Come Easy
15. My God Given Right
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:56:38 PM by Dittomist »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #551 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
Bubbles is very underrated, I like it a lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: September 06, 2017, 06:00:01 AM »
Having a listen to this new live Unisonic album and damn, Kiske sound fucking unreal!!  :hefdaddy

Offline Mladen

« Reply #553 on: September 06, 2017, 06:17:57 AM »
There's a new Unisonic album?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: September 06, 2017, 06:26:15 AM »
There's a new Unisonic album?

A live one.  From Wacken.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #555 on: September 11, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
Guys,is there anybody here who is not participating in Helloween Survivor 2017? If yes, please help us break the tie!!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50833.0;topicseen

:corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #556 on: September 11, 2017, 04:37:23 PM »
Just voted, but made it a 3 way tie! :blush

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: September 11, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
Just voted. :)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #558 on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
I'm surprised March of Time isn't in the top 3. That chorus is one of the catchiest things I've ever heard. The rest of the song is great too.

Voted for I Want Out. Hope the epic title track wins

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: September 11, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »
I'm surprised March of Time isn't in the top 3. That chorus is one of the catchiest things I've ever heard. The rest of the song is great too.

Voted for I Want Out. Hope the epic title track wins

All of this!

Kiske!!! :metal