Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179632 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Helloween thread v. My God Given Right - New album in May
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:15 AM »
This looks fine to me on the first glance, I'd gladly hear this setlist. But I really wish they won't let Deris sing A Tale That Wasn't Right. If there is a song that should feature Kiske solo, that's the one for me. I really dislike Deris' interpretation of this song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Art

« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »
Hey, if Hansen is there, let him sing Starlight and Ride The Sky!

(ok, i know his voice is kinda ruined, but maybe it's enough to sing 2 songs live)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #457 on: January 04, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
On the last tour, Helloween opened up with two Kiske songs and closed with two Kiske songs. And that was it. Everything else in between was Deris material.

I would suppose that Deris, while maybe not being sick of Kiske's song, is well pleased to sing his own song and with Kiske himself in the tour, would step away from his song just as Kiske would not sing his ones.

As I said earlier, my wet dream is an opening duet on Halloween. The majesty of the song as opener would floor everyone, having both starting would solve the problem of "Where is Kiske on the first song" rather than "Deris is not there, who cares", and after all it suits a duet, I can already imagine Deris being all theatrical and menacing on "I'll show you passion and glory" with Kiske doing the "He's the snake" part, just to make an example.

Closing song will probably be I Want Out, another duet. And I'm all for Hansen singing one or two of his songs!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #458 on: January 04, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
Three ta ton of stuff I'd love to see them play live. As much as I live and respect Weiki, I truly believe he doesn't have enough drive to play certain tougher songs live. I don't want to use the word lazy.... I'm basing this on things he's said in interviews. Maybe Kai will help bring some of these songs out on the live stage. There's a lot Pretty much everything from Gambling With The Devil and Rabbit Don't Come Easy. Why would they never play The Tune? It's basically this generation's Eagle Fly Free, without the popularity of course.

I'm disappointed that it will be a longer wait till their next album. It's usually every two years but I assume this reunion tour will push back any future release.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: January 04, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »
All duets would be overkill, I think they should do a mini-Avantasia and have them rotating continously, Kiske sings 2 songs, Deris 2 others, then the occasional duet, and so on.

Great idea.

That sounds pretty realistic. I'd love to see something like this.

1. Starlight (Kiske)
2. Eagle Fly Free (Kiske)
3. Open Your Life (Deris)
4. Sole Survivor (Deris)
5. Born on Judgement Day (Both)

6. A Little Time (Kiske)
7. Dr. Stein (Kiske)
8. A Handful of Pain (Deris)
9. As Long As i Fall (Deris)
10. The Dark Ride (Both)

11. Ride The Sky (Kiske)
12. I Want Out (Kiske)
13. Who is Mr. Madman? (Deris)
14. Wake Up the Mountain (Deris)
15. A King for a 1000 Years (Both)

Encore;
16. If i Could Fly (Both)
17. A Tale That Wasn't Right (Both)
18. Light The Universe (Both)
19. Keeper of the Seven Keys (Both)

Take out Light the Universe and you have a pretty solid set there.  Love the obscure choices of Madman, Handful of Pain, Mountain and especially Open Your Life.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #460 on: January 04, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
I'd be cool if Deris does the soundcheck and Kiske does the concert. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: January 04, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »

:lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: January 04, 2017, 04:02:55 PM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
 :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
Personally, I don't think Kiske or Deris should be singing the material that the other recorded, unless it was in a shared role (which I would leave for the encore).

Whatever Kiske recorded, let him sing it. Whatever Deris recorded, let him sing it. I wouldn't do separate sets, I'd just bring each singer on and off the stage, and alternate, unifying at the encore to do something together.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »
Personally, I don't think Kiske or Deris should be singing the material that the other recorded, unless it was in a shared role (which I would leave for the encore).

Whatever Kiske recorded, let him sing it. Whatever Deris recorded, let him sing it. I wouldn't do separate sets, I'd just bring each singer on and off the stage, and alternate, unifying at the encore to do something together.

I agree with all this.  I don't think Michael would want to come in and learn songs sung by Deris anyway.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »
I think it will end up being a pretty safe set list with both Kiske and Deris singing songs from their own eras. But I'm sure there will be one or two duets and that song selection should be interesting

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #467 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:37 AM »
I'd be let down if at the very least there won't be one out of Keeper of the Seven Keys or Halloween.

I wonder if Kiske will sing songs from his other non-Keeper albums... Kids of the Century probably stands a chance, I don't think they will dig up Giants from Chameleon, even though I'd love it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: January 06, 2017, 04:21:09 AM »
Do you think they will have Kai sing anything from Walls of Jericho and have three vocalists share the gig?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2017, 04:23:21 AM »
When Gamma Ray supported Helloween for the second time they had a medley of Halloween (Deris singing), How Many Tears (duet) and Heavy Metal is the Law (Hansen singing), I hope that Kai gets to sing at least one song, Heavy Metal is the Law would be the perfect pick.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2017, 04:27:11 AM »
Yeah Heavy Metal is the Law would definitely fit in perfectly

Offline Art

« Reply #471 on: January 06, 2017, 04:28:07 AM »
Kai has to sing something. And for non-Keepers Kiske albuns, i would like to see The Chance (maybe?) Giants (pls!!) or When The Sinner (impossible  :lol ) played live.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
For fun I try to come up with a realistic, greatest-hits-ey but still with a couple of rare songs promised setlist. All songs are meant to be sang by their original singers unless a duet is stated.

Intro (Walls of Jericho)
Halloween (duet)
Eagle Fly Free
Dr. Stein
Sole Survivor
Nabatea
March of Time
Twilight of the Gods
A Tale that wasn't Right (acoustic)
Forever and One (acoustic)
The King for a Thousand Years
Kids of the Century
I'm Alive
If I Could Fly
Waiting for the Thunder
Power
We Got the Right
Keeper of the Seven Keys
============
Heavy Metal is the Law
Future World
I Want Out (duet)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2017, 04:35:06 AM »
I love Kai singing Ride the Sky.  Not sure he could do it anymore, but he just makes that song.  Maybe he could pull out something cool like Warrior, great song.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2017, 04:39:29 AM »
Back in 2003 they played (obviously with Deris) Starlight and Murderer, but my wet dream is Victim of Fate. Fantastic song, and I mean the original one, Kiske is a vocal god but doesn't convey, in his version, the brutal and raw power of Kai's version. It's a shame it's not a "hit" song off the debut 'cause it's just wonderful.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
Back in 2003 they played (obviously with Deris) Starlight and Murderer, but my wet dream is Victim of Fate. Fantastic song, and I mean the original one, Kiske is a vocal god but doesn't convey, in his version, the brutal and raw power of Kai's version. It's a shame it's not a "hit" song off the debut 'cause it's just wonderful.

The version on Gamma Ray's Skeletons in the Closet is fucking brilliant.

For fun I try to come up with a realistic, greatest-hits-ey but still with a couple of rare songs promised setlist. All songs are meant to be sang by their original singers unless a duet is stated.

Intro (Walls of Jericho)
Halloween (duet)
Eagle Fly Free
Dr. Stein
Sole Survivor
Nabatea
March of Time
Twilight of the Gods
A Tale that wasn't Right (acoustic)
Forever and One (acoustic)
The King for a Thousand Years
Kids of the Century
I'm Alive
If I Could Fly
Waiting for the Thunder
Power
We Got the Right
Keeper of the Seven Keys
============
Heavy Metal is the Law
Future World
I Want Out (duet)

Pretty good, but I think it could use 1 or 2 more MOTR-Rabbit era songs.  Good call on the SOOH songs though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2017, 04:47:33 AM »
It's a shame they aren't spending the next few months and make a new studio album with everyone involved.  The start date of the tour gives them lots of time and this would give them an opportunity to play a couple new tunes.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »
Perhaps the tour is a test for their ability to work together. If successful, i wouldnt rule out a record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #478 on: January 06, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »
Perhaps the tour is a test for their ability to work together. If successful, i wouldnt rule out a record.

Agreed.

Also it isn't that far fetched to think, that they may have recorded something already. Maybe song or two for this new tour?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: January 06, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »

Hopefully.  If not, it seems like a lost opportunity not to make an album. 

I can't see the egos in this band being that out of control at this point of their careers which would cause this reunion to derail.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
Being part German (albeit a small part), I can say never underestimate the egos of Germans.  :lol

That said, yeah, I mean, too much time has passed for anyone in that group to hold grudges. Time is running out on all of them, and they know it. I think that spurred this united tour, and hopefully, if all goes well and smooth, it will mean a united record. I like Deris, but Kiske has such a unique voice that to me, signified Helloween. That balance of humor, heaviness, his soaring wail, it just made Helloween. Deris' contributions have been great as well, but not the same to my ear. But a united Helloween with two lead singers that compliment one another tonally (and they do)? I am ALL IN.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: January 06, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
It's a shame they aren't spending the next few months and make a new studio album with everyone involved.  The start date of the tour gives them lots of time and this would give them an opportunity to play a couple new tunes.

Maybe they are in secret!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: January 06, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
Whammy!!

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2017, 04:04:06 AM »
Italian page but you don't need to know italian to look at pictures:

https://www.metal.it/note.aspx/52446/helloween-guarda-le-prime-foto-della-reunion-pumpkins-united/

Three more shots of the enlarged line-up, it's heartwarming to see Kiske and Deris smiling together  :hat

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: January 08, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »
Really great pics.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: January 08, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »
 :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #486 on: January 08, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »

https://www.metal.it/note.aspx/52446/helloween-guarda-le-prime-foto-della-reunion-pumpkins-united/

Three more shots of the enlarged line-up, it's heartwarming to see Kiske and Deris smiling together  :hat

OK, first of all, Deris isn't smiling.

In the Classic Lineup, Weikath's back is turned to the rest of the band and he is not smiling either.
I realize that this does not happen without Weiki signing off on it, but he looks less than happy in these photos.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: January 08, 2017, 04:35:45 PM »
Weikath has actually looked quite sickly and frail to me in a few of the photos.  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: January 09, 2017, 04:34:25 AM »

OK, first of all, Deris isn't smiling.

In the Classic Lineup, Weikath's back is turned to the rest of the band and he is not smiling either.
I realize that this does not happen without Weiki signing off on it, but he looks less than happy in these photos.

But, when has he actually looked happy?

I don't get any negative vibes from Deris either, he looks fine.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: January 09, 2017, 04:49:30 AM »
Speaking of Deris, I've been cranking his last solo album and I think it's fucking great.  Typical Deris written style tunes, but some brilliant melodies and some nice in your face heavy songs too.