Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179623 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Helloween thread v. My God Given Right - New album in May
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »
I would've cut tracks 1 and 2, 14 (isn't this one a bonus?) and maybe 12 or 13 too, mostly because I don't remember anything about Claws and You, Still of War after two spins. I definitely need to pay more attention.

Cutting Like Everybody Else though? No way. ;)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:22 AM »
Creatures In Heaven  :metal

Love this song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #352 on: June 04, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
I haven't heard bonus tracks yet. In the past they have left some really great songs as bonus tracks. I love GWTD but it would have been even better if Find My Freedom  had been on the album, instead of a song like Can Do It. I think Can do It is a really catch song but throws off the albums vibe. If you haven't heard Find My Freedom yet, I highly recommend it.

It really bothers me the songs they choose to play live after a new album. When 7 Sinners came out the songs they played mostly were Where The Sinners Go and Are You Metal? Those are probably the songs I'd least like to hear live off that album. Im willing to bet they would convert way more fans at concerts if they played songs like Dreamspace and The Saints instead of fucking Are You Metal and Dr. Stein for the millionth goddamn time.

They should hire me as their manager :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: June 04, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »
Helloween do have amazing bonus tracks;

See the Night
A Game We Shouldn't Play
Far Away
Madness of the Crowds
Deliver Us From Temptation

plus many more, wow.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »
The bonus track  Light in the Sky is a great ballad

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Yeah, both Rings and Oath have great bonus tracks too. Still I Don't Know is a good one too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: June 06, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
great new album!!

just might be my favorite from them since Dark Ride.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: June 08, 2015, 06:14:26 AM »
Got my copy and listening for the first time, but it's going by very fast.  Needs a few listens but sounding really solid indeed.  There's a lot of songs here.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #358 on: June 08, 2015, 06:35:21 AM »
I have only listened to it once, so my opinion might (and probably will) change. There's definitely too much tracks. Make it a ten-track disc and things will be more concise. But it is good and solid, but for me nothing spectacular so far.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »
I have only listened to it once, so my opinion might (and probably will) change. There's definitely too much tracks. Make it a ten-track disc and things will be more concise. But it is good and solid, but for me nothing spectacular so far.

I seem to enjoy albums that have around 10 tracks; its just easier to get into the album and focus on the songs.  Once you get 15-16 tracks, it always seems to be a blur, no matter the quality.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: June 08, 2015, 08:08:24 AM »

I seem to enjoy albums that have around 10 tracks; its just easier to get into the album and focus on the songs.  Once you get 15-16 tracks, it always seems to be a blur, no matter the quality.

Spot on.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #361 on: June 09, 2015, 03:15:59 AM »
I bought My God Given Right the other day, and after four listens, feel about as underwhelmed as I did with Rabbit Don't Come Easy. They clearly took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, but with sixteen tracks, I would have preferred much more diversity.

In my opinion, the best songs are The Swing of a Fallen World, Creatures in Heaven, Claws, and My God Given Right, and these songs alone make the album worth purchasing.
The songs I'm most disappointed with are Heroes, Battle's Won, and Stay Crazy. I need to give the bonus tracks more attention but so far I didn't hear anything on the level of Madness of the Crowds, Silicone Dream, Can't Fight Your Desire, Light in the Sky, or Game We Shouldn't Play.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: June 09, 2015, 03:57:41 AM »
I would say that Still Crazy and Swing of a Fallen World stood out to me on the new release

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2015, 05:20:05 AM »
I bought My God Given Right the other day, and after four listens, feel about as underwhelmed as I did with Rabbit Don't Come Easy. They clearly took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, but with sixteen tracks, I would have preferred much more diversity.

In my opinion, the best songs are The Swing of a Fallen World, Creatures in Heaven, Claws, and My God Given Right, and these songs alone make the album worth purchasing.
The songs I'm most disappointed with are Heroes, Battle's Won, and Stay Crazy. I need to give the bonus tracks more attention but so far I didn't hear anything on the level of Madness of the Crowds, Silicone Dream, Can't Fight Your Desire, Light in the Sky, or Game We Shouldn't Play.

I got a Rabbit feel throughout the whole thing too.  It's the album you can compare this too the most. 

I like it quite a lot, I think the songs are very fresh and well written.  I would like a bit more diversity as you say though.  Still not sold on You, Still the War, that's a grower.

I love Stay Crazy.  That for some reason reminds me a lot of Never Be A Star which funnily enough is also track 4.  They are nothing alike, but it just reminds me of it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2015, 06:21:41 AM »
I really like Stay Crazy, fun and catchy song.

I started to skip Heroes and Battle's Won though. One of the most underwhelming album starts from Helloween, in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2015, 07:10:43 AM »

I got a Rabbit feel throughout the whole thing too.  It's the album you can compare this too the most. 

I like it quite a lot, I think the songs are very fresh and well written.  I would like a bit more diversity as you say though.  Still not sold on You, Still the War, that's a grower.

I love Stay Crazy.  That for some reason reminds me a lot of Never Be A Star which funnily enough is also track 4.  They are nothing alike, but it just reminds me of it.

still crazy totally reminded me of never be a star as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: June 09, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »
I really like Stay Crazy, fun and catchy song.

I started to skip Heroes and Battle's Won though. One of the most underwhelming album starts from Helloween, in my opinion.

I have no problems with the first two songs, in fact, I really like Battle's Won.  Heroes could be buried later in the album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #367 on: June 09, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
I think Heroes is perfect where it is. It basically tells me to sit back, don't think too much, and have fun with this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: June 09, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »
I think Heroes is perfect where it is. It basically tells me to sit back, don't think too much, and have fun with this album.

That's a fair statement.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Helloween do have amazing bonus tracks;

See the Night
A Game We Shouldn't Play
Far Away
Madness of the Crowds
Deliver Us From Temptation

plus many more, wow.

It's always pissed me off that Deliver Us wasn't on the album. As much as I love songs like All Over The Nations and Salvation, they really didn't fit the tone and atmosphere of the rest of the album and should have saved for Rabbit. Deliver Us was perfect for Dark Ride.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #370 on: October 09, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
Helloween are playing in Sydney next Friday night.
The same night as Megadeth/Children Of Bodom.
I was unsure which one to go to, but after playing MGGR, it's clearly no contest.

I was a little unsure but it only took a couple of songs and I knew who my choice was.
Helloween are a legendary band whom I have never seen play live.
While I have no interest in the past 20 years of Megadeth and Bodom I have seen many times before.

Looking forward to seeing them, the venue is a small theatre, with usually good sound.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: October 09, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »
They are playing next Saturday night in Brisbane too.  I think I'll go.  Saw them on the Gambling with the Devil tour and they were fantastic.

I haven't been to a show for a while.  Is it easy enough to buy tickets at the door these days?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #372 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
Yeah it is, I never buy in advance anymore, always get them at the venue on the night.
I never saw them on the Gambling Tour, as I was living in the UK at that time.

Had a peek at their recent festival set lists and they look a very good mix of old and new.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: October 09, 2015, 08:08:50 PM »
.  Is it easy enough to buy tickets at the door these days?

Not if it's a sell out :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: October 11, 2015, 03:57:32 AM »
.  Is it easy enough to buy tickets at the door these days?

Not if it's a sell out :neverusethis:

I'd probably take that chance.  :lol

Had a peek at their recent festival set lists and they look a very good mix of old and new.

Me too, but I'm hoping the set is a lot longer.  It's hard with so many albums to cover everything, but the set is decent enough.  I'll wait and see the set for the first couple of shows and then make my decision.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »
Given that all their recent gigs have been festivals and I'm thinking they didn't headline them, then I would reckon a full headlining set would be at least another 6 plus songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: October 12, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »
While I had Photobucket open today and scanning pictures, I found these that I've never posted.
A couple pictures of Ingo taken on 9/24/87 in Providence.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »
Where was that Meet & Greet Tim?  Was Kiske there too?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #378 on: October 12, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
Where was that Meet & Greet Tim?  Was Kiske there too?

It was at Strawberries (old chain) in downtown Providence. Kiske was there for sure. Maybe I should've scanned in one of him. I wanted to get the Ingo pics uploaded. Grim Reaper and Armored Saint were also all there as well. We were really there for Helloween. Completely ignored the other two bands. I wasn't the Armored Saint fan then that I am now. In fact after Helloween, we decided to stay for a few AS songs, and they BLEW me away!

I remember asking Kiske how old he was. He looked so young up close. He said he was 19. This day was two days after MY 19th birthday.

After the In Store, we were walking around, and noticed the Helloween guys outside of a Dunkin' Donuts. that is where this pic was taken. I've posted it many times, but it's one of my most treasured pics.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: October 12, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »
who's the weirdo on the left?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: October 12, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
who's the weirdo on the left?

We ran into Kingshmegland! ;D

j/k

He might've been the Road Manager. That's what I assumed.

I just wished Markus and Kai had turned for the pic, but the shot of Kiske is all that really mattered.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NotePad

« Reply #382 on: October 13, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
I live in Vancouver, Canada. I would LOVE to see Helloween live. But I doubt they'll ever come here. I've seen Maiden play. It's too bad they couldn't hitch along a Maiden tour (wouldn't that be amazing?)

If I saw them play live, I'd be disappointed if they played mainly Kiske stuff. Looking at their setlists, seems like they mostly do. Have you seen their Wacken performance? its all Keepers songs, and Andi just can't do it. I wanna hear song from Gambling, Dark Ride, BTR etc. Not Doctor fucking Stein with no enthusiasm.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: October 13, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
I'd like to see them live too but it seems like their North America dates are few and far between. Not a huge market for Helloween in NA

Offline NotePad

« Reply #384 on: October 13, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
It's too bad, because it seems like a few other Power metal bands have actually become quite popular around here lately, like Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, and of course DragonForce.