Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179644 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: Official Helloween thread v. My God Given Right - New album in May
« Reply #315 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
Based on Unisonic's two albums, I'm glad kiske and Hansn left Helloween.....its not bad music, just generic. And despite what they claim, Unisonic is very much a power metal band.

There are a lot of albums Helloween seem to ignore from their live shows. Albums like Rabbit Don't Come Easy, Dark Ride, Better Than Raw, Gambling. There are some real Gems on those albums. Falling Higher,  All Over The Nations,  The Tune, The Saints - those are classic Halloween style songs that are completely ignored. Theres so many I hate seeing go to waste.

Instead they let Debris butcher Keeper songs. He's great when he does his own stuff. And have they ever played My Life For One More Day? Probably not. They should add it to the end of the Keeper Trip!ogy they play. Hell, Halloween has nothing to do with the Keepers story anyways!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #316 on: May 28, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
They're playing at the festival in Moscow at the end of August, and I kind of don't know if I should go. They were a lot of fun on the previous tour with Gamma Ray; but I'm generally not a big fan of festivals, there's too many people and also a lot of bands I usually don't care about, and this one is also outdoor venue. Granted, this time there's also Amorphis, which I kind of enjoy despite growls, and Helloween is headlining, but I haven't decided yet. Will probably end up skipping this one.

I was pissed when they didn't bring this tour to Brisbane.  Would love to see Gamma Ray.

Oh shit, this festival has just announced its final band in the lineup and it's Primal Fear! I think I'm definitely going now. :metal

Also, NotePad, Falling Higher was played at the previous tour. Probably even at the show I attended, I don't remember.

Edit: I do remember I liked Gamma Ray live much more than Helloween though. Kai is just so much better as a frontman, in my opinion. And their Empire of the Undead tour show was a blast too. Loved it all the way through.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:52:24 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: May 28, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
Theres so many I hate seeing go to waste. Instead they let Debris butcher Keeper songs.

Maybe if he changed his name to something other than "Debris" then he would be less wasteful  ;D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »
Theres so many I hate seeing go to waste. Instead they let Debris butcher Keeper songs.

Maybe if he changed his name to something other than "Debris" then he would be less wasteful  ;D
:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: May 28, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »
Based on Unisonic's two albums, I'm glad kiske and Hansn left Helloween.....its not bad music, just generic. And despite what they claim, Unisonic is very much a power metal band.

There are a lot of albums Helloween seem to ignore from their live shows. Albums like Rabbit Don't Come Easy, Dark Ride, Better Than Raw, Gambling. There are some real Gems on those albums. Falling Higher,  All Over The Nations,  The Tune, The Saints - those are classic Halloween style songs that are completely ignored. Theres so many I hate seeing go to waste.

Instead they let Debris butcher Keeper songs. He's great when he does his own stuff. And have they ever played My Life For One More Day? Probably not. They should add it to the end of the Keeper Trip!ogy they play. Hell, Halloween has nothing to do with the Keepers story anyways!

The problem is, people want to hear Keeper songs.  Just playing Deris songs would hurt the band.  I never had an issue the way Andi sang those old songs tbh.

Also, the band have 14 coming on 15 albums.  The more albums the band has, the more it hurts their setlist diversity and ability to bring out rarities.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: May 28, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
I'll get a listen to the new one later today.

I think it was last time I was in the Helloween thread I thought to myself "I wonder what happened to Notepad" as in the past Helloween Thread = Notepad  :D   Good to have you back.

And now I think about it the ultimate power prog vocalist could well be 50% Labrie and 50% Deris.............Andy Debris  :metal
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:24:22 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #321 on: May 29, 2015, 12:19:01 AM »
I didn't have huge expectations for this new album, but i listened to it and it was really good!!

There are couple of tracks that could be straight from Dark Ride, and some tracks that could be from Master of Rings and Time of the Oath!
I would also skip the first 3 songs, Stay Crazy is where the album truly kicks into high gear.

Top.3 songs:
1. Creatures in Heaven
2. You, Still of War
3. The Swing of a Fallen World

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #322 on: May 29, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »
I'm not buying the CD, got the picture vinyl pre-ordered from amazon, so hoping it's good.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #323 on: May 29, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »

The problem is, people want to hear Keeper songs.  Just playing Deris songs would hurt the band.  I never had an issue the way Andi sang those old songs tbh.

Also, the band have 14 coming on 15 albums.  The more albums the band has, the more it hurts their setlist diversity and ability to bring out rarities.

Spot on, having never seen them live, I do want to hear the Keeper songs and lots of others of course.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2015, 06:39:41 AM »
And now I think about it the ultimate power prog vocalist could well be 50% Labrie and 50% Deris.............Andy Debris  :metal

Spot on, having never seen them live, I do want to hear the Keeper songs and lots of others of course.

I personally prefer the Deris era, but if I go and see them, I want Kiske songs.  When I saw them they played Halloween and it was fucking awesome.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #325 on: May 29, 2015, 09:00:25 AM »

I think there would be a bunch of stuff thrown about when he hits the stage.

Also the chorus of If God Loves Rock 'N' Roll is the same as Final Fortune.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: May 29, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »
Final Fortune was probably my fav on that album, so good.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2015, 07:15:39 AM »
Yeah. And that's the only "bad" thing on the album. I'm loving all of it instantly.

I wanna say Like Everybody Else is the best Helloween ballad.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: May 30, 2015, 07:27:26 AM »
I have just finished my first listen (across two sittings).  When I saw 16 tracks on my version I thought to myself "there goes any chance of a high rating" as I generally dislike a few tracks on most Helloween releases and with 16 the odds were even higher.

In the end I wouldn't say I was eating those words , but perhaps a nibble.  I've rated the album 80% based on the 13 regular album tracks - if the bonus were included the rating would be lower but I only alter scores for bonus tracks if they improve things.

I'd say maybe two tracks really got me seriously involved and made me feel like I was hearing something fresh in terms of melody/structure - the rest is very strong  , if unspectacular IMO.  Better than expected from my point of view and a good effort to put together a lengthy and consistent album.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:34:11 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2015, 03:45:58 AM »
80%, wow!  Good score from you Brent.  Haven't heard it yet but looks like it should be instores next weekend.  I'll wait until then.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: May 31, 2015, 04:23:40 AM »
After my first listen I think it's quite a good, consistent album. I also think it would've been even better had they scrapped Heroes and Battle's Won and started the record with title track. Definitely want to spin it more times.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2015, 06:43:56 AM »
But those songs are awesome.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: May 31, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »
What did you rate the last three releases from Helloween Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
What did you rate the last three releases from Helloween Brent?

I haven't listened to the last few in detail jj - I do have them , but never got around to it.  I at least have some song ratings on 7 Sinners and that indicates I thought it was a strong first four songs and then a bit meh after that and a rating more around 70% maybe.  I think the new one is more consistent than that.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: May 31, 2015, 07:07:52 PM »
That would be a fair rating for that disc.  For me, the first four from Deris are essential.  All others are very solid but contain some filler.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
This is my glorious return ;)

I find it interesting how its like there's so many people who say they don't like the band after Kiske yet they continue to be the biggest German speed metal band....well, I guess 'power metal' band. They released two album's over twenty years ago that people obsess over  and say can't be equaled, even though they have released so many albums since that are equal to and actually better that people don't rate anywhere near as high and often seem to hate...

And from what I have heard of the new album I have to say it sounds really cool. It does have that same mechanical like "sound" of their last two albums, but I'd say is more like Master of the Rings because it's got the Hard rockish style of that album in a lot of the songs. Like an 80's rock style mixed with their classic power metal sound and the elements of pop rock and nu metal that seem to be in some of their newer music (usually songs Andi writes, I've noticed). And I realize I've compared Helloween to Edguy in the past, but this album does make me think of recent Edguy albums by the way they mix rock that you might hear during the 80s with that classic happy PM style Helloween pioneered. Listen to the title tracks of Rocket Ride and My God Given Right to see what I mean.
But yes, it definitely sounds like a great album. They really, truly never make the same album twice. If you are worried about the direction they took on a recent album, you can always take comfort in the fact that their next one will not be the same thing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: May 31, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
That sounds like a good description Notepad

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: May 31, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »
I need to revisit the earlier Deris stuff but I know I really loved Master of the Rings and was disappointed with Time of the Oath.  Helloween were an auto buy for me then , but once I get an album I really don't like I tend to become a much more casual observer.  I really like the second half of Dark Ride too.......the first not so much.  So like Notepad said - in some ways it's refreshing to not know what's coming next but it also makes them a band that's not in "auto purchase" territory for me these days.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: May 31, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »
I need to revisit the earlier Deris stuff but I know I really loved Master of the Rings and was disappointed with Time of the Oath.  Helloween were an auto buy for me then , but once I get an album I really don't like I tend to become a much more casual observer.  I really like the second half of Dark Ride too.......the first not so much.  So like Notepad said - in some ways it's refreshing to not know what's coming next but it also makes them a band that's not in "auto purchase" territory for me these days.

The production could have something to do with that, it's awful.

I was listening to 7 Sinners in the car too over the weekend and came to realise the production on this one is just awful too.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »
Yeah I thought I had a defective copy of Time of the Oath at first. But the songs are all solid. I think it's much better than Master Of The Rings.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: June 01, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
Yeah I thought I had a defective copy of Time of the Oath at first. But the songs are all solid. I think it's much better than Master Of The Rings.

Yeah me too.  :lol  The songs are fantastic, just needs a complete overhaul.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #341 on: June 01, 2015, 06:50:32 PM »
New album should be in my mailbox tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: June 02, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
ordering it today with new Armored Saint

Offline NotePad

« Reply #343 on: June 02, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
I love Time of The Oath. They really captured the style they had on the Keepers, but much better in my opinion, and darker a lot of the time. In a way I see Gambling with the Devil as a continuation of what they did on TTOTO. I really really want to see them continue in that direction.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2015, 03:39:04 AM »
The new album is very consistent, the previous one had a whole bunch of average tracks (even though it was still solid) so this is a bit of an improvement. Claws, Creatures in heaven and You still of war are the highlights. The first six songs sound generic at first but they grow on you and become fairly catchy.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »
I also really like The Swing of a Fallen World, great song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2015, 04:03:28 AM »
I also really like The Swing of a Fallen World, great song.

Yeah - that one and Russian Roule were my best. Claws and You, Still Of War my least.  Cut it off at Track 11 and my rating rises.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2015, 04:37:58 AM »
Musically I must say it's pretty damn good. I still have to go a way to getting used to Deris 's voice though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »
After just ONE listen, I can say that I really like it. Not a huge fan of Deris or the whole Deris era especially post Grapow, but this one feels different.

The production makes it easier on the ears. Definitely a problem they have had. And for the most part, this album doesn't feel like it's trying too hard, save for You Still Of War. Definitely 3 or 4 songs too long. I'm sure we can debate which ones should go, but for me, I'd cut Tracks 8,11,13,& 14.

Deris' voice doesn't seem to bother me as much here for some reason. Just feels like a fun album overall. Also, I love the melodic lead guitar work on this album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
will have to wait til Friday for my copy to arrive. 

sounds like its getting very positive reviews all around.