News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United

Started by wolfking, October 12, 2010, 03:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wolfking

I like it a lot actually, looking forward to this.  This Helloween lineup have yet to disappoint.

ZKX-2099


Scorpion

Have you forgotten Chameleon? Not that I would blame you, but still.

ZKX-2099



ZKX-2099


TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

jjrock88


wolfking

Quote from: ZKX-2099 on May 20, 2015, 06:20:37 PM
I'm glad we had this discussion.

I think Chameleon isn't great, but not as bad as some say it is.  I think they let us down because we had heard in the past what they were capable of.

Since Deris has joined though, no album has been a let down IMO.

bl5150

I must admit that I haven't properly kept up with every single song off the most recent couple of Helloween releases but after my latest listen to the last Unisonic (and another rating upgrade) I can't think of anything I've heard from Kiske or Helloween in recent times that would rate anywhere near it . All IMHO of course.

wolfking

Quote from: bl5150 on May 20, 2015, 08:04:17 PM
I must admit that I haven't properly kept up with every single song off the most recent couple of Helloween releases but after my latest listen to the last Unisonic (and another rating upgrade) I can't think of anything I've heard from Kiske or Helloween in recent times that would rate anywhere near it . All IMHO of course.

The Helloween of today has taken on a completely different identity to early Helloween IMO.  You can't really compare Helloween and Unisonic IMO.  I'd probably still take Helloween though, but I've followed them since The Dark Ride so....

The last Unisonic was amazing though.

bl5150

I don't know what my first Helloween album was...........Bubbles I think   ;D And then Keepers Pt2.

I really enjoyed Master Of The Rings , felt Time of The Oath was a letdown and since then I've found them a bit hit and miss.  That's quite possibly meant that I have glossed over some of their better albums in recent times.

The Dark Ride is a funny one for me - aside from If I Could Fly I find the first half a chore and I love the last five tracks  :lol

7 Sinners only had a track or two I liked.  Better Than Raw and Straight Out Of Hell I have but haven't listened to.  Gambling and Rabbit ........I lost my ratings so should revisit. 

Most of what I've heard from the new album I'd call solid ,but not much more.   If I want to hear Deris at the moment I would tend to go for his earlier stuff with Helloween or PC 69 I think.

Scorpion

Both 7 Sinners and The Dark Ride are fantastic, but I agree that their recent stuff has been somewhat hit-and-miss, like Better Than Raw and Straight Out of Hell, which had fantastic and painfully mediocre songs next to each other.

But I don't think I'd call either of them a disappointment.

Polarbear

Quote from: ZKX-2099 on May 20, 2015, 02:03:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7D7ynntNbg&list=PLB4brr7vf-P60k9XjF84hGF9MdByQZAIs&index=1

Title track song/video.

I got some 90's Helloween vibes (Master of Rings, Time of the Oath) from that song.

That was a cool song, but i suspect there are much better songs in the new album.

wolfking

Quote from: bl5150 on May 20, 2015, 08:16:25 PM
I don't know what my first Helloween album was...........Bubbles I think   ;D And then Keepers Pt2.

I really enjoyed Master Of The Rings , felt Time of The Oath was a letdown and since then I've found them a bit hit and miss.  That's quite possibly meant that I have glossed over some of their better albums in recent times.

The Dark Ride is a funny one for me - aside from If I Could Fly I find the first half a chore and I love the last five tracks  :lol

7 Sinners only had a track or two I liked.  Better Than Raw and Straight Out Of Hell I have but haven't listened to.  Gambling and Rabbit ........I lost my ratings so should revisit. 

Most of what I've heard from the new album I'd call solid ,but not much more.   If I want to hear Deris at the moment I would tend to go for his earlier stuff with Helloween or PC 69 I think.

Sounds like you're just the casual fan which is fine.  SOOF is good if you are a fan, but nothing essential.  BTR IMO is an excellent album with great production.

The production is the only thing that has let the band down over the last few releases.  They just haven't been as powerful as say Raw or Dark Ride.

Quote from: Polarbear on May 21, 2015, 12:40:49 AM
Quote from: ZKX-2099 on May 20, 2015, 02:03:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7D7ynntNbg&list=PLB4brr7vf-P60k9XjF84hGF9MdByQZAIs&index=1

Title track song/video.

I got some 90's Helloween vibes (Master of Rings, Time of the Oath) from that song.

That was a cool song, but i suspect there are much better songs in the new album.

Yeah, the verses reminded me a lot of Power.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

bl5150

Quote from: wolfking on May 21, 2015, 04:34:53 AM

Sounds like you're just the casual fan which is fine.

I'd class myself as a casual fan of 99% of bands I listen to.  It's very rare that a band consistently releases full albums that I love from start to finish .

Helloween has written some of my favourite metal songs but I can't think of an album where I wouldn't hit Skip.


jjrock88

The Kiske Keeper albums and the first 4 with Deris are essential Helloween to me.

NotePad

Unfortunately the two songs I've heard don't sound very exciting to me. Lost In America is catchy but at this point I want to hear them write more inventive songs. It also sounds like the production will sound too much like the last two, which I love but its getting stale. I think Gambling with The Devil is their best from recent years. Dreambound, Heaven Tells No Lies, The Saints - that's classic He!loween but with progression. That album was way more Keepers then Keepers The Legacy was!


Mladen

Yeah, Gambling was really good but I was honestly stunned when 7 Sinners topped it. Whichever one you prefer, you can't deny those albums proved that the current day Helloween still has a lot in them. However, the two songs I heard from the upcoming album didn't excite me at all...

wolfking


Evermind

I liked My God-Given Right a lot more than Battle's Won, but it really has this Power vibe in the intro and verses, as Kade and Tim both said.

I also enjoyed the snippet of Stay Crazy from this Track by Track #1 video.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

wolfking

Weiki is a cracker, love him.  Does sound pretty standard and safe, but at least I know what I'm getting and it's probably gonna be enjoyable.

gazinwales

Australian Tour Dates!

HELLOWEEN THE GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TOUR DATES
Wednesday, October 14 – 170 Russell, Melbourne Tickets
Friday, October 16 – Metro Theatre, Sydney Tickets
Saturday, October 17 – Max Watt's, Brisbane Tickets
Monday, October 19 – The Gov, Adelaide Tickets
Tuesday, October 20 – Capitol, Perth Tickets

ariich

Quote from: Scorpion on May 20, 2015, 09:41:00 AM
Have you forgotten Chameleon? Not that I would blame you, but still.
Chameleon is one of my favourites.

Pink Bubbles on the other hand, biggest meh apart from the debut.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

TAC

As disappointing as Pink Bubbles was when it came out, it has aged pretty well for me. At last it feels like one band made the album.

Chameleon feels like two different bands made it.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

Quote from: gazinwales on May 27, 2015, 12:34:54 AM
Australian Tour Dates!

HELLOWEEN THE GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TOUR DATES
Wednesday, October 14 – 170 Russell, Melbourne Tickets
Friday, October 16 – Metro Theatre, Sydney Tickets
Saturday, October 17 – Max Watt's, Brisbane Tickets
Monday, October 19 – The Gov, Adelaide Tickets
Tuesday, October 20 – Capitol, Perth Tickets

I think I'm there.  Saw them when they came last time on the Gambling with the Devil tour and they were fantastic.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on May 27, 2015, 06:08:48 AM
Which show is closest to you?

Brisbane.  Why you ask?

Saturday night too and it's a busy time at work, so works out really well.  I've missed quite a few mid week concerts around that time of year due to my work schedule.

bl5150

I haven't even heard of the Melbourne venue - shows you how much I get out these days.  ::)  I had a look at their site and Yngwie is playing there too.   His Platinum VIP package allows you to attend a Q&A session at which he will allow you to take a photo of HIM  :rollin

wolfking

If Yngwie plays Brisbane I'll probably see him too.

Speaking of Brisbane......QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!  Go the maroons!!!!

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on May 27, 2015, 06:12:55 AM
Quote from: TAC on May 27, 2015, 06:08:48 AM
Which show is closest to you?

Brisbane.  Why you ask?
Just wondering what part of Australia that you're in, that's all. Not stalking!

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Evermind

They're playing at the festival in Moscow at the end of August, and I kind of don't know if I should go. They were a lot of fun on the previous tour with Gamma Ray; but I'm generally not a big fan of festivals, there's too many people and also a lot of bands I usually don't care about, and this one is also outdoor venue. Granted, this time there's also Amorphis, which I kind of enjoy despite growls, and Helloween is headlining, but I haven't decided yet. Will probably end up skipping this one.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

gazinwales

Yeah I'll prob see them in Sydney, if not Melbourne where I am working on and off for the rest of the year.
Never seen them live before either, I was living in the UK last time they toured here.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on May 27, 2015, 06:51:18 AM
Quote from: wolfking on May 27, 2015, 06:12:55 AM
Quote from: TAC on May 27, 2015, 06:08:48 AM
Which show is closest to you?

Brisbane.  Why you ask?
Just wondering what part of Australia that you're in, that's all. Not stalking!

That's cool.  Yep, wonderful Brisbane, great state.

Quote from: Evermind on May 27, 2015, 08:45:03 AM
They're playing at the festival in Moscow at the end of August, and I kind of don't know if I should go. They were a lot of fun on the previous tour with Gamma Ray; but I'm generally not a big fan of festivals, there's too many people and also a lot of bands I usually don't care about, and this one is also outdoor venue. Granted, this time there's also Amorphis, which I kind of enjoy despite growls, and Helloween is headlining, but I haven't decided yet. Will probably end up skipping this one.

I was pissed when they didn't bring this tour to Brisbane.  Would love to see Gamma Ray.