Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179678 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Andi Deris new solo album
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
So I'm sitting here watching the Keepers Legacy tour DVD, which I just got last week. It is excellent BTW.

Anyway, Keeper Of The Seven Keys is on, and obviously Deris is not Kiske, but you know...I'm really enjoying this. Say what you want about Deris, but the man is fearless vocally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »
I have never had any problems with Deris singing Kiske songs.  IMO they sound fine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:21 AM »
Sometimes he can make Kiske songs his own, by not attempting the high notes he's incapable of. When he goes high on those old songs it has a totally different effect then Kiske. It sounded so easy for Kiske, but for Deris it sounds like it strains him a lot. The songs wern't written with Deris in mind, but for Kiske. Deris' voice can't replicate them. He sounds weak when he goes high, whereas Kiske sounds powerful.  People say Deris sucks live, but it's only really when he attempts those old Kiske songs.

And Legacy is a very good album. I do kind of feel they should have waited a few more years and sat on the idea. Some songs I believe shouldn't have been put on a Keepers album. Like Weiki's songs. Something like Burning Sun off the newest CD would'v been perfect for Legacy, because it has all the elements of a Keepers songs. Or The Tune, too bad they didn't save that for Legacy. I think Gambling With The Devil is an album with songs in the style of Keeper brand power metal. That's why they should have waited to make the next keepers album. Legacy has too many songs that arn't in the classic power metal Keepers style, whereas GWTD had many that are.

But i am a fan of The Legacy. My Life For One More Day was very, very good. I like the part where Deris sings like Kai Hansen for a second. I assume this was on purpose.

Right now I'm really digging the song Another Shot of Life. I think it was a bonus track for SOoH?

Offline NotePad

« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
I'v been listening to that sing "deliver us from temptation" lately. It's such a fucking great song. Just read it wasn't written to be a bonus track or filler or anything, the label chose the tracklist for the album and left it out. That suck. I'd love to see them play it live: weiki is a fan of it, so it could happen. It definitely gives me a Priest/Painkiller vibe. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2014, 04:09:24 AM »
I'v been listening to that sing "deliver us from temptation" lately. It's such a fucking great song. Just read it wasn't written to be a bonus track or filler or anything, the label chose the tracklist for the album and left it out. That suck. I'd love to see them play it live: weiki is a fan of it, so it could happen. It definitely gives me a Priest/Painkiller vibe.

Never knew that.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Same with the new Sabbath, 16 songs were recorded for the 13 album, and Rick Rubin got to decide the 8 on the album, and the other 4 bonus tracks.
Which leaves 4 songs in the can, that will no doubt appear at some stage on a 'tour version' or 'platinum edition' of 13 album.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »
Yea, read an interview with Weiki where he said this. I was surprised because from everything I'v read and heard, Weiki is not a fan of the dark ride album. Deliver Us is credited to the bassist Marcus, but I guess he helped somewhat. I read the lyrics for the song and think they're some of the best lyrics ever from the band. It does remind me of Painkiller judas priest. I love Andi's vocals, and hate that he did this on what became a bonus track! But on Burning Sun, he sings part of it in this Halford style. I'm a huge fan of his, but I don't think Andi could sing like that live. At least not at the present.

And was this the thread where it was pointed out that Deris is a 'high bariton'? That's a really interesting point to think about while listening to themn, and while listing to him live doing Kiske songs. Deris singing high just doesn't sound natural, and has a very very different effect than when Kiske does it. Like i read somewhere (here?), Kiske sounds powerful when he hits the high notes. Deris sounds weak when he sings high. Its like this: the effect of kiske hitting a high note sounds like a man with lots of power (in general). When Deris does it, it has a somewhat uh whats the word? Floundering. That's the word. I can describe the impressing as being 'like a floundering man'.....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:40 AM »
I just had my first listen to The Dark Ride - had it around here (like all the post-Oath albums) for ages and haven't got around to listening.

Now this was a weird listen -  aside from If I Could Fly I thought the first 7 tracks were some of the most snooze inducing metal I've ever heard.  I was all but ready to give up and then BANG..........everything came to life with what I think would be my favourite 5 song run on any Helloween album.

Aside from needing a bit more crunch in the production (although the muddy production adds to the "darkness" I suppose) the run of

The Departed
I Live For Your Pain
We Damn The Night
Immortal , and
The Dark Ride

was awesome.

It's a shame I cannot rate an album that contains so many faves very high due to such a lackluster first half.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:54 AM »
Yeah, that album has a strong end.  I love the whole thing though, All Over Nations and Salvation are especially awesome.  666 is a strong one too.

Looking at those last 5 songs though, they are by far some of Helloween's most underrated. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2014, 03:48:35 AM »
Mr Torture :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:23 AM »
That was one of the songs that actually was one of my least favs for a while.  It took a while to grow, but became a classic Helloween song.

Offline adastra

« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »
THE DARK RIDE!!!!  (Song)   is amazing! :)    Catchy chorus and cool guitar solos!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2014, 08:17:07 AM »
I started to like Mr. Torture more after Live on 3 Continents DVD, I think.

About the filler, it is the case for me with almost all recent Helloween albums. Some songs here and there are very enjoyable, and some are quite forgettable, and there is always one or two songs I skip everytime.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: January 29, 2014, 08:28:48 AM »

About the filler, it is the case for me with almost all recent Helloween albums. Some songs here and there are very enjoyable, and some are quite forgettable, and there is always one or two songs I skip everytime.

Probably could be said about every album ever made..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
I never really think of Helloween as having filler songs. Hell, Grosskopf writes amazing songs that are usually made bonus tracks only available on like japanese editions. So if they do that, then the official tracks have no filler.

I'm surprised by reading the opinion of the last 5 being the best, and the ones before being not good. I love the first few- i loved all the songs. Escalation 666 is, IMHO, one of Helloween's best tracks. Mirror Mirror- goddamn what an awesome track. If anything, if i had to guess what if any song on DR was filler, I'd say Immortal. And i love Immortal.

I'd love to see Helloween play more Dark Rides songs at shows. But Weiki is not a fan of the album. But don't believe that was the reason Grapow and Uli were fired; Deris wrote most of the songs and he's weiki's best friend. Anyways, they don't even play Weiki's songs, which I would say are the most 'Helloween-ish" songs on the album. All Over The Nation and Salvation are maybe the best things he's written. The problem was, they didn't fit in with the Dark vibe of the album.

But man, Dark Ride is one of my all time favorite albums. I can't find anything similar to it. Some say 7 Sinners is similar to it- yes it is heavy and dark, but not heavy and dark in the same way as Dark Ride.

Somewhat OT: Just obtained the New Masterplan album. Novum something. Can anyone tell me how it is? I'm a big Jorn fan, of his voice, not his ego ;) I really love the first 2 albums, and Time To Be King was good too. Haven't heard MKII.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2014, 03:29:07 AM »
I'd go as far as saying that since The Dark Ride, Helloween haven't really had any filler tracks.  Everything from the Dark Ride onwards has been killer and consistent.  Songs are obviously better than others, but nothing straight out filler.

Somewhat OT: Just obtained the New Masterplan album. Novum something. Can anyone tell me how it is? I'm a big Jorn fan, of his voice, not his ego ;) I really love the first 2 albums, and Time To Be King was good too. Haven't heard MKII.

New Masterplan is awesome.  Miles ahead of the shit sandwhich that Time To Be King was.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
Yea Time To Be King was disappointing. Not bad, but not as good as I'd expect from them with Lande. Was listening to Aeronautics yesterday and was thinking, "Is this power metal?" because there are some big differences from the S/T. I love Aeronautics, but now that i think of it i can see Jorn's influence on the music. There's less speed and more mid-tempo tracks that have more of a rocker quality, as opposed to a metalhead quality..... I love it but i'm just saying it's an interesting album. Masterplan is my second favorite Power Metal band.

I see Time To Be King as them trying to get back to a harder and faster sound. But there's very little variety on it. The songs are so similar. And Jorn Lande sucks at writing lyrics. Jorn Lande is a douche, they never even toured for this album because of the guy and his million projects. I think it's very obvious that he's emulating his career path after Dio's.

I think the one song from Helloweens recent albums that MIGHT be filler is The Shade In The Shadows. I really like the song actually, but i must admit it has a filler quality to it.

Keepers: The Legacy should have had a different title. They should have put King for 1000 Years on Gambling and called it the 3rd Keepers album.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
I actually like Time To Be King, it's enjoyable, but Jorn has always been an average at best lyricist.
Yes I know English is not his native language, but surely, (as a lot of non English Speaking bands do) he can get someone to proof read them first?

Offline NotePad

« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2014, 11:55:57 PM »
Jorns new replacement ain't that bad i gotta say.

I'm always surprised when i read or hear interviews with guys like Grapow or Weiki, because their english is usually not the greatest. It's kinda odd that they only write music in english. In the early days of Grapows time in Helloween he didn't even know english, he said this in an interview. I find it crazy an i understand why they would want to learn english and write all lyrics in english too. It's just very surprising. These guys still don't sound too good when i hear them speaking.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #229 on: January 31, 2014, 06:20:19 AM »
The majority of bands out there would be drastically reducing their worldwide appeal if they only sang in their native language.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #230 on: January 31, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
The majority of bands out there would be drastically reducing their worldwide appeal if they only sang in their native language.

I realize this. It's just that when i hear or read an interview or something or read a post they've written on a forum they still seem to have a lot of problems with English. But it explains certain lyrics and songtitles. You Stupid Mankind is not a title a native english speaker would come up with.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2014, 05:49:55 AM »
New Andi Deris solo album is fucking excellent!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »
You mean the Bad Bankers album right? I haven't heard it yet other then a couple clips online. From what I'v learned from recent interviews, Deris has really gotten into american bands like Deftones and 30 Seconds to Mars. I can hear the influence in the clips.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »
You mean the Bad Bankers album right? I haven't heard it yet other then a couple clips online. From what I'v learned from recent interviews, Deris has really gotten into american bands like Deftones and 30 Seconds to Mars. I can hear the influence in the clips.

That's the one, it's fantastic.  It's nothing like those bands, don't worry.  It's just more dirty hard rock at times, but a lot of this reminds me of Master, Oath or even Better Than Raw. 

Pick it up.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2014, 02:22:57 AM »
Well, i didn't mean that influence like those were a bad thing ;) I think that if Deris let himself, it would be very easy for him to write more 'commercial' sounding stuff. Not that Deftones is commercial. Maybe the word is 'american'? that's how they describe dark ride......

I'll have to look into this bad bankers CD. I'm a big Deris fan and think he's a really fantastic songwriter.

And since this is a Helloween forum, there's more ;p So listening to 7sinners today and then the new Hell one, i noticed how most of the songs follow the very basic song forumula of 'verse-chorus-verse-chorus-Solo-chorus-verse....' You get the idea.

And i love these albums, but come on, really? I guess they've been doing this for a long time, so it's kinda their style. But on Legacy they varied up the forumula and is considered their 'progressive' album. And not ALL songs recently follow the typical formular, by definitely most. I remember Chino Moreno from the Deftones saying he wrote the song Back To School really fast because the label wanted a radio single, and that writing songs like that are really easy.

I'm not saying they're not putting in the effort, cuz i love their stuff, but are they concerned about being commercial? Look at Maiden, they clearly don't care cuz they have their fanbase. I would assume it would be the same with Helloween.

I'm done ranting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »
New Helloween - May 29

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/helloween-to-release-my-god-given-right-album-in-may/

German power metallers HELLOWEEN will release their 15th studio album, "My God-Given Right", on May 29 via Nuclear Blast. The CD was recorded between October 2014 and February 2015 at the band's MiSueno Studio on the isle of Tenerife with producer Charlie Bauerfeind (GOTTHARD, HAMMERFALL).

The "My God-Given Right" artwork was once again created by graphic guru Martin Häusler (BON JOVI, QUEEN, GOTTHARD) and will also be available as a 3D lenticular print.

Says Häusler: "We tried to build a world of ideas, keeping the 'classic HELLOWEEN' elements, like the pumpkins on the one hand and a complete new look on the other, just like we did it the years before, working on a HELLOWEEN artwork.

"A first inspiration came from the album title, 'My God-Given Right', and some of the song titles, like 'Swing Of A Fallen World', 'Lost In America', 'Battle's Won', etc.

"During my research, I stumbled upon the blockbuster 'Day After Tomorrow' and the idea of just leaving the world to the 'pumpkins' was born.

"The most challenging part of this artwork was to have both the limited edition and the 11-inch earbook provided with a 3D lenticular cover (a full 3D cover, visible without 3D glasses). That's the reason the entire artwork was done 'in one piece,' using a 3D program…
We did not want one of those 'cheap' lenticular covers, done by converting a 2D version, but the best possible real 3D result. So don’t get any other versions — this will be a true collector's item!"

Adds HELLOWEEN frontman Andi Deris: "I never know how, but somehow we did it once again… The album really rocks and kicks some major asses!!! We had the best folks with us to make this possible: producer Charlie Bauerfeind and Martin Häusler, who made a massive 3D artwork this time WITHOUT stressing the whole color range."

States HELLOWEEN guitarist Michael Weikath: "This proves what a bit of snow not only is able to but really causes! I personally hate snow and the cover shows that too much of everything is never good. Just like Andi Deris, I'm very happy about the new album."

HELLOWEEN's last album, "Straight Out Of Hell", sold around 4,100 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 97 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD entered the Media Control chart in Germany at position No. 4 — the highest chart position in the band's history. It also landed at No. 4 in Finland and No. 2 on the international album chart in Japan.

"Straight Out Of Hell" was released in January 2013. The cover artwork for the CD was once again created by Martin Häusler, who previously worked with the band on the "7 Sinners" and "Gambling With The Devil" CDs.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2015, 05:31:29 AM »
Yeah, saw the announcement on facebook yesterday. Will give it a try when it's out.

Offline Art

« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2015, 06:14:16 AM »
I hope the record keeps up with the "Straight out of hell-vibe", a record that i liked a lot.

Now, (as it was the case with straight out of hell) thats an UGLY cover  :lol it looks like it was made in 2001.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
Helloween is one of the most consistent metal bands in the world. I have full confidence that this will be an excellent release

I like the cover

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
This Helloween lineup has been solid every single record.  I think we'll be in for another great album.  I don't care about the cover, it's fine.  The 3D version should be cool though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2015, 06:14:58 PM »
That cover is weird! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:17 AM »
From Helloween's Facebook:

Today we are proud to reveal the tracklist of »My God-Given Right«:
01. Heroes
02. Battle’s Won
03. My God-Given Right
04. Stay Crazy
05. Lost In America
06. Russian Roulé
07. The Swing Of A Fallen World
08. Like Everybody Else
09. Creatures In Heaven
10. If God Loves Rock ‘n’ Roll
11. Living On The Edge
12. Claws
13. You, Still Of War

The limited digipak (with special 3D lenticular cover) and the vinyl version will feature two bonus tracks:
14. I Wish I Were There
15. Wicked Game

The digital version contains three bonus tracks:
14. I Wish I Were There
15. Wicked Game
16. Free World

The limited Earbook will feature a bonus-CD with four bonus tracks:
01. I Wish I Were There
02. Wicked Game
03. Nightmare
04. More Than A Lifetime

On April 17th, we will release the first single out of »My God-Given Right«, which will be for the Speed Metal track 'Battle’s Won'. Besides the digital download, there will be a limited edition 2-track vinyl single, also featuring the album-track 'Lost In America'.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
Lots of songs, good to see.  The one with the bonus cd looks like the go.  Interesting that there is a bonus track for the digital version too.

Some really cool song titles too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Helloween thread v. My God Given Right - New album in May
« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »
Cool song titles and I'll pick up the bonus cd version

Online Polarbear

Re: Official Helloween thread v. My God Given Right - New album in May
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2015, 03:02:28 AM »
These guys haven't released a bad album in over 20 years, i'm excited about this one!

Also, i always wanted to rank my top 3 Deris- era albums so here we go:

1. Keeper Of The Seven Keys - The Legacy
2. Gambling With The Devil
3. Better Than Raw