Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179642 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Straight Out of Hell
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
While were on the Helloween album covers topic, what the hell is up with Pink Bubbles?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »
Is it the one with the woman swallowing the fish? That's pretty weird, I know. :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2012, 10:43:42 AM »
Dang, that cover is hilarious.  :lol Everything about that album is so bizarre, I can't help but not love it. They really wanted to escape from the power metal clichees and predictability, and created something uniquely weird and special as a result. The video for Kids of the century comes to mind immediately, I'm just glad they were smoking whatever they were smoking.  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
During this period of the band, change had to happen as they appeared to be in disarray.  Deris helped to rejuvinate the band and they released some awesome albums.  Pink Bubbles and Chameleon are very good albums, but dont really seem to be true Helloween albums.  I still think Kiske is the better singer of the two though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2012, 04:38:49 AM »
The cover's alright, reminds me of Glambling. 

IMO, I love the Kiske stuff, but the band has really became what I define as Helloween.  Andi was the best thing to ever happen to the band.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »
During this period of the band, change had to happen as they appeared to be in disarray.  Deris helped to rejuvinate the band and they released some awesome albums.  Pink Bubbles and Chameleon are very good albums, but dont really seem to be true Helloween albums.  I still think Kiske is the better singer of the two though.
Pink Bubbles has aged very well for me.

Chameleon is so splintered. You had the Weikath side and then the Kiske side. It's like listening to two different albums.

I am still not a huge fan of Deris' voice. It's actually gotten worse as the years have gone on. They have made some great music with him in the band. Only in the last year have I gone back and gotten all of those albums, as I had been ignoring them ever since he joined the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:12 AM »
Chameleon is so splintered. You had the Weikath side and then the Kiske side. It's like listening to two different albums.

I don't know, man... I always thought the album flowed really well considering it's variety.

I can't pick a favorite between, Chameleon and Keeper 2...

Offline adace

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
I can't believe myself I'm about to say this but this new single is fucking awesome. Totally unexpected.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

I don't know, man... I always thought the album flowed really well considering it's variety.

I can't pick a favorite between, Chameleon and Keeper 2...

Chameleon and Keepers Pt.2 ??
Really?

Well a matter of taste I guess, but to me those two albums are not in the same stratosphere.

The new single "Nabataea" is streaming. It rules.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=183154&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Sounds good!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
new song sounds awesome

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2012, 05:00:08 AM »
Wow, new song is absolutely incredible.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2012, 03:24:33 AM »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:30 AM »
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH! I want to see it so badly and motherfucking GEMA doesn't license this shit! :zeltar:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2012, 04:10:05 AM »
Your missing out, it's one of the best videos they have ever done. :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2012, 04:29:08 AM »
Found the song on SoundCloud, at least. It's not really bad, but nothing groundbreaking, either. The chorus was pretty great, though.

Still pumped for the rest of the album. :metal :metal

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2012, 04:36:24 AM »
Note that everyone. To me this song and probably the album is their reborn. Their latest stuff was terrible, so was previous one but judging from the promo song this is going to killer, this is what Helloween must do.

Video is amazing too.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2012, 04:54:23 AM »
Note that everyone. To me this song and probably the album is their reborn. Their latest stuff was terrible, so was previous one but judging from the promo song this is going to killer, this is what Helloween must do.

Video is amazing too.

Wow, IMO the last album was one of their best and this band has been nothing but solid for the last ten years.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
Holy smokes, thats a great video.  Surprisingly big budget video for the band.  Great song too!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
This new song is kicking my ass, love it!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
My favourite Helloween songs with mini-writeups because I'm listening to Helloween right now so what the fuck.

5. World of Fantasy

Best song off of 7 Sinners, no questions asked. The main riff is infectious, and the chorus even more so. It had me singin along from the first listen and since then, it has never let up. Probably the best thing that Helloween has written since The Dark Ride, and while 7 Sinners is a great album, this tops it off.

4. How Many Tears

My only gripe with this song is the production, the rest is kick-ass. I can't count how many time I nearly broke my neck from headbanging to that main riff. Great mellow section in the middle and the lyrics are a bit cheesy, but very heartfelt as well and delivered perfectly. The live version with Kiske on Live in the U.K. is even better.

3. The Dark Ride

Right from that eerie intro, you know that this will kick ass, and when the band comes in, they don't disappoint in the slightest. Great verses, and one of the fucking best choruses that Helloween have ever written. The instrumental section is pretty sweet, though it would have been cool if the chorus would have been repeated one more time at the end. Still, a kick-ass song and a worthy end of my second favourite Helloween album.

2. The Departed (Sun Is Going Down)

Probably the most surprising pick, but I can't help it. The main riff is addictive, Deris' vocals in the chorus are a very welcome change over other stuff and the chorus has one of the best melodic hooks in Helloween's whole discography. Killer stuff and it cements The Dark Ride as my second favourite Helloween album.

1. Halloween

THE Helloween epic. It has it - creepy lyrics, awesome musicianship, grand scope, some of the best solos that Weikath and Hansen have ever played - just all-around awesome. Definitely the highlight of my favourite Helloween album.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:39:18 PM by Scorpion »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
That is an absolutely cracking top 5.  Love the Dark Ride too, and World of Fantasy is incredible.  You can't deny Halloween either, absolutely amazing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
I think The Dark Ride might just be my favorite Helloween disc.  Better then Raw is up there too.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »
Nice pick with The Departed. Also, great number one, it would be my number two with the top spot belonging to Keeper of the seven keys. It used to be vice versa, though.  :smiley:

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »

Yeah I think 7 Sinners is the best Deris Helloween release.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
Yeah, definitely one of their best albums.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2013, 04:19:24 AM »
Straight Out of Hell is out on Spotify! :caffeine:

Currently listening to Nabataea and I'm already liking the album version more than the single edit. :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2013, 04:20:52 AM »
I think I'm gonna wait til I get my cd.  Looking forward to it, the samples do sound quite promising.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2013, 04:50:57 AM »
I think The Dark Ride might just be my favorite Helloween disc.  Better then Raw is up there too.
I can't agree more! Uli Kusch just slays on that album!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »
I can't agree more! Uli Kusch just slays on that album!  :metal

I haven't heard that much Helloween yet, but The Dark Ride is my favourite too so far.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
I listened to Straight Out Of Hell on Spotify today and I must say that it was pretty much what I expected. I mean, I've never been a big Helloween fan, but I do enjoy their music when I'm in the right mood, but it doesn't really have a big emotional impact to me. In my opinion their latest albums have been pretty similar to each other, and Straight Out Of Hell seems to continue with that trend. There are catchy melodies, lots of really fast songs and so on. Andi's vocals are really great on this one. Overall it's very nice power metal, which is good if you happen to like that kind of stuff, but there's nothing really spectacular.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 01:02:00 AM »
Just listened to Straight Out of Hell for the first time. I am sure my some opinions will change with further listenings but for the most part I am happy with the album. It's mostly an uplifting, fun, and catchy album, but I wish they could have been a tad more adventurous because much of it feels a little too safe and familiar. Nabataea is the only one that feels totally original and unpredictable.
The other tracks that really stood out were:
World of War- This should definitely be the next single. Aggressive verses, soaring epic chorus, and a hell of a solo.
Burning Sun- One of Andi's best performances ever. Man, how does he maintain that voice of his? It sounds like such an unnatural way of singing, like it would be really rough on the vocal cords, but he has been just incredible on every Helloween album.
Hold Me in Your Arms- Not crazy about the title, but this is their greatest ballad since Light the Universe. A really lovely song.
Years- Reminds me a lot of The Tune (my favorite song from my least favorite Helloween album)

And the two songs I know already that I'll never like are Wanna Be God (probably because I absolutely hate the song it was influenced by, We Will Rock You) and Live Now.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2013, 06:37:29 AM »
On Live Now! they ripped off the WOMP WOMP from Home... DT should sue.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2013, 07:47:06 AM »
So I've had Gambling With The Devil in the car all week. Is it me or is this album mixed way too fuc#ing loud?

Also, while listening to The Bells Of The Seven Hells (great song BTW!), I spaced out and literally thought I was listening to King Diamond. :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:24 AM »
Also, while listening to The Bells Of The Seven Hells (great song BTW!), I spaced out and literally thought I was listening to King Diamond. :lol
My God, that's an awesome song!  :metal