Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179130 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #770 on: July 02, 2019, 08:16:24 AM »
Hopefully that means they’re taking it very seriously and that makes me hopeful for a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #771 on: July 02, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
Can't wait for the live album and of course, the new studio release.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #772 on: July 02, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: July 02, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #774 on: July 02, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »
Yeah, let's hope they don't cut anything!

From memory it's the same of the show I've seen - only Kids of the Century was in place of Rise and Fall.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #775 on: July 02, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
I think that set list is identical to what I saw on that tour. As much as it was a privilege to see such a show and I did spend most of it watching it through tears, I was bummed not to get Kids of a century. Such a shame it won't be on the DVD either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #776 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »
Yeah, I love Kids Of The Century.

Online Mladen

« Reply #777 on: July 02, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
I like that entire album, actually. I defend it so often among Helloween fans that I end up repeating myself.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #778 on: July 02, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »
I'm with you, M. I feel that it has really aged well. I don't love every song on it, but man, there are some great tracks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #779 on: July 02, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
The Pumpkins United show was one of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life. However, as fun as the set was, I still would've liked there to be some Gambling with the Devil representation. That's the best Helloween album imo and although it was cool to see surprises in the set (for me, someone who's never seen them live before), there were a bunch of songs that still make me go... "Huh?!" Like Waiting for the Thunder and Perfect Gentleman but not The Saints or Dreambound or Heaven Tells No Lies or Final Fortune or Paint A New World? Helloween's live sets have always baffled me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #780 on: July 02, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
I wonder how they'll construct their next tour's setlist.

Even though I have all of the albums, I honestly can't recognize a lot of the Deris material by song title. In fact, I can't really listen to Gambling because the production is putrid.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: July 02, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »

Even though I have all of the albums, I honestly can't recognize a lot of the Deris material by song title. In fact, I can't really listen to Gambling because the production is putrid.

I just barely had to cut it off my top 50 of all time and I'm almost considering throwing it back in there just for you  :lol

Gambling is one of the few Helloween albums with good production imo, or at least songwriting that benefits from the production. It's not as heavy as 7 Sinners but it's way more consistent and has stronger songs to my ears. Some of their best hooks ever are on Gambling.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #782 on: July 02, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one in love with Gambling with the Devil, which I still consider their best album since its release with no one of the following ones topping it!

The mistake was made back in the day, when they toured for the album and played only TWO songs off the record. They could and should have found room for more songs. Since they didn't believe in the album, when it was time for the big reunion it was only a direct consequence to skip that album.

And come on, Waiting for the Thunder is awesome  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #783 on: July 02, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
I remember them playing three songs from it when I saw it - As long as I fall, Paint and new world and The Bells of 7 hells. However, they certainly could have done more. I would love to see Falling to pieces or IME at some point.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #784 on: July 02, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
Paint a New World was a later and I believe rare addition, I didn't get it at my concert. Basically any song of the album would have done, Dreambound is fantastic for example! and The Final Fortune if sung by Kiske on the new album would be acclaimed as a new classic.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: July 02, 2019, 01:18:24 PM »
You can do it! There's nothing to it! So come on, come on, come on! Come on, come on, come OoOoOoOoN! :footloose:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #786 on: July 02, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »

I just barely had to cut it off my top 50 of all time and I'm almost considering throwing it back in there just for you  :lol

Gambling is one of the few Helloween albums with good production imo, or at least songwriting that benefits from the production. It's not as heavy as 7 Sinners but it's way more consistent and has stronger songs to my ears. Some of their best hooks ever are on Gambling.

From what I remember there's some good stuff on it, but it's so loud, it's practically unlistenable. that's what I remember anyway. I didn't not like it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #787 on: July 02, 2019, 09:07:04 PM »
Gambling With The Devil is probably their best album since The Dark Ride. There's so many standout tracks and not one that I dislike (even including the bonus tracks). I even love I Am Me and You Can Do It despite their lyrical cliches.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Mladen

« Reply #788 on: July 03, 2019, 02:19:38 AM »
Gambling With The Devil is probably their best album since The Dark Ride. There's so many standout tracks and not one that I dislike (even including the bonus tracks). I even love I Am Me and You Can Do It despite their lyrical cliches.
Twelve years later, I get the song title.  :facepalm:  :rollin

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #789 on: July 03, 2019, 03:59:03 AM »
Considering how well they managed to arrange some of the older songs for dual vocalist setup, I'm excited to see what songs get the same treatment in the following tours!

How Many Tears and for example Halloween were rearranged beautifully! Something like King For a 1000 Years is a no brainer, but I'd love to hear something like Paint a New World rearranged for both Kiske and Deris!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #790 on: July 03, 2019, 04:32:11 AM »
Dude, imagine them playing Light The Universe with a Deris/Kiske duet. I'm getting chills just thinking about it. :hefdaddy
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #791 on: July 03, 2019, 04:35:18 AM »
The only downside for The King for a 1000 Years is that it's sung entirely from the point of view of the devil, so I can't imagine how to split properly the parts aside from giving Kiske the happy chorus (not for nothing Deris got a minimal part in Keeper of the Seven Keys).

Still the possibilites for other songs are exciting and they've shown to be quite good at creating duets, so I'm all up to see what they come up to next!

Also, we need Kai to sing VICTIM OF FATE  :metal :metal :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: July 03, 2019, 05:31:10 AM »
Aaaaand we're gonna get a live DVD and album - UNITED ALIVE!

:metal

Coming out October 4th.

Lovely.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: July 03, 2019, 09:36:11 AM »
Aaaaand we're gonna get a live DVD and album - UNITED ALIVE!

:metal

Coming out October 4th.

Lovely.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

If that is the complete set list for the album, that will be awesome.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: July 03, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »
Not patiently waiting to pre-order. Where is the amazon link!?  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #795 on: July 03, 2019, 10:07:21 AM »
Here's a Helloween question 30 years in the making:

In the song "Halloween," right before the guitar solo, there's sort of a devil/angel back-and-forth section (right after the line, "redeemed or enslaved").  According to the lyrics sheet, the "devil's" first line is "I'll show you passion and glory," but I'll be damned if he's actually saying "glory."  Anyone know what is really being said?  Or is it actually "glory" that is completely unintelligible because of the effects?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: July 03, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

In the song "Halloween," right before the guitar solo, there's sort of a devil/angel back-and-forth section (right after the line, "redeemed or enslaved").  According to the lyrics sheet, the "devil's" first line is "I'll show you passion and glory," but I'll be damned if he's actually saying "glory."  Anyone know what is really being said?  Or is it actually "glory" that is completely unintelligible because of the effects?

At the 8:51 mark, right. Yep, there is no way that's "glory," unless its in German. I can sorta make out "I'll show passion and..." but the rest is unintelligible.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: July 03, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
Twelve years later, I get the song title.  :facepalm:  :rollin

You didn't get it when the lyrics are about being your own person and the chorus yells out I AM ME??  :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #798 on: July 03, 2019, 11:36:46 AM »
I shit you not, I didn't get it. I always thought he was addressing some group of people named IME, whatever that abbreviation stands for.  ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #799 on: July 03, 2019, 12:28:23 PM »

At the 8:51 mark, right. Yep, there is no way that's "glory," unless its in German. I can sorta make out "I'll show passion and..." but the rest is unintelligible.

*shrug*

I've always understood "glory" just fine.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #800 on: July 03, 2019, 12:39:08 PM »

It sounds sort of like "I'll show you passion and evil pain."

And the German word for glory is Ruhm, so that doesn't explain it.

By the way, if there was a better song released in 1987, I don't know what it was.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: July 03, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »

It sounds sort of like "I'll show you passion and evil pain."

And the German word for glory is Ruhm, so that doesn't explain it.

By the way, if there was a better song released in 1987, I don't know what it was.

Yeah, I always sang along with it as "even pain." But yeah, evil works too. GREAT song.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #802 on: July 03, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
You made me doubt it, so I went to listen to it again.

Dunno guys, I still hear glory clearly.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: July 03, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
I was always sure it was

I'll show you passion and in a way
He is the snake

Never read the actual lyrics.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #804 on: July 21, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »

Just watched the 87 Minneapolis show on YouTube, and Weiki clearly says "glory".
It's true on the album it's pretty much indecipherable.

Not sure there was one.

Although Whitesnake's Still Of The Night was pretty strong too.