Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179142 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2018, 03:53:21 PM »
Honestly, I think what I'm looking forward to the most is the Kai/Walls Of Jericho part of the show.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
Honestly, I think what I'm looking forward to the most is the Kai/Walls Of Jericho part of the show.

Since I was fresh out of ProgPower I was afraid I was going to break my neck during Ride the Sky. The WoJ session was soooo much fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #737 on: September 13, 2018, 01:58:51 AM »

Since I was fresh out of ProgPower I was afraid I was going to break my neck during Ride the Sky. The WoJ session was soooo much fun.

That's an issue I always have when listening to WoJ.  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: September 13, 2018, 05:07:04 AM »
Such an amazing power thrash album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: September 13, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »
That's the album where Chris Jericho got his name from

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: September 13, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »
That's the album where Chris Jericho got his name from

:lol

I heard it was either that or Gorgar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: September 14, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »
 :omg:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: September 16, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »
So, I saw Helloween Friday night in Worcester.
Let me just say how lucky and thankful I am to have done so. I consider Keepers Pts 1&2 to be fourth best albums I have ever heard. They were as influential in what I like musically as anything else.

With 7 North American dates (6 in the US), and Worcester's proximity to the 2 NYC shows, I still can't believe that Worcester made the list.

I'm a fogey, so I saw the original Keepers tour in 1987. I've spent the last 30 years basically accepting that I would never see Mickael Kiske live again. He is the best vocalist these ears have ever heard. Ever.

While I have all of the post Kiske Helloween albums, I am not all that fond of Andi Deris' voice. It's not that he's not Kiske. I just don't find him all that pleasurable to listen to. But he has commanded Helloween to a fantastic career over the last 25 years. I totally respect that.
The reunion also brings back Kai Hansen. Helloween was never the same after he left. I think Kai is one of the most underrated and brilliant musicians of our time.

Anyway, I have been watching videos of the band's performances since the tour started. What jumped out at me was the chemistry within the band, especially between Kiske and Deris. Kiske has said that they did not know each other beforehand, but they seem to get along great, something else that Kiske has stated. Watching them live, this was really evident. And it wasn't just the chemistry, but their voices really play off each other. Throw Kai in, and on a track like How Many Tears, where they all sing lead, it's really amazing.

Also, speaking of chemistry, I was watching Kai as he was playing the Deris Era material. He couldn't have been more gracious and endearing. He played those songs with pride and it really added to my enjoyment.

Anyway, the show. AMAZING! Beyond my hopes and extectations. The band seemed so joyful, and that made for a great experience. The place was packed and the crowd was INTO IT!
Halloween is such an amazing opening song. Loved the interplay between Kiske and Deris. Kiske sounded great. I was very happy to hear that.

Oddly, the part of the show I was most looking forward to didn't involve Kiske, it was the WOJ part with Kai singing. Holy shit, was that amazing. Such a memorable concert moment.

Also what was cool was the inclusion of the Ingo video during Dani Loble's solo. What an awesome thing. It was like Dani and Ingo were doing a drum duet. I'm glad they included Ingo in the "Pumpkins United" show. Classy.
And speaking of Dani Loble, man is that guy rock steady. He held the entire show together and for playing an 2:45 hour show, I thought he was incredible. I was really impressed.

It would be nice if Michael Weikath would smile once in a while. He's a wet fart. (just thought I'd throw that in there)

Two of my favorite Deris Era tracks are Power and Waiting For The Thunder. I'm glad they included them. And Perfect Gentleman was great. The entire band was so engaged during the song.

Lastly, the video screen was fantastic. the graphics were amazing. I could do without the Seth and Doc nonsense, but the video presentation was outstanding.

Anyway, I could ramble forever about this show.
Here are a few shots..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: September 16, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »
I'm so glad you had a blast TAC, and to see them all these years later after having seen them back in the 80s must have been totally surreal. Wasn't it awesome seeing how Kai fit into the band like a glove, even when not playing the Walls stuff? And that little medley spot of Walls of Jericho material - how cool was that?! Would've liked to hear Ride the Sky in full but that was still amazing.

I loved how genuinely kind and friendly Kiske, Deris, and Kai all were to each other, there seems to be real chemistry there. I was also very happy to hear Power and Waiting For The Thunder, and Perfect Gentleman was fun as heck. Sounds like you had a great time.  :metal

Oh, that Ingo tribute was beautiful, too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: September 16, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
I hope they continue to let Kai sing on upcoming tours, provided they tour for the album they are planning. Maybe next time it could be Victim Of Fate. But what we got of Ride The Sky, and especially Starlight, was phenomenal.

And I was watching Kai during the Deris tracks, and he performed those tracks as if he wrote them.

Oh, you know what song was amazing...Pumpkins United. If that is representative of what could come on the upcoming album, that'll be great.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: September 16, 2018, 05:51:56 PM »
Awesome pics and looks like you had great seats  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: September 16, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »
TAC, you should totally buy this. I would (because last time I looked it was $45!) but I am one broke motherfucker  :lol It would look so cool next to my Keepers one though. Droooool. Might actually snag it this Friday if it's still there!

https://www.ebay.com/i/112970637587?ul_noapp=true

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #747 on: September 16, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
 :lol

The Lovely Mrs TAC would love that!  My flag buying days ended when I moved out of my college dorm! :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: September 16, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
 :rollin

I forget not everyone is a flag junkie like I am. I count 7 right here in my living room, and 3 I haven't hung up yet!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #749 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:56 PM »
I think if I had a room to hang a bunch of stuff, I'd blow up some of my concert pics. I have the pic of my avatar blown up poster size hanging in my basement behind my drums.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #750 on: September 17, 2018, 01:09:21 AM »
Aside from the comment about Andi Deris (I'm a great fan of him), I totally relate with everything you said TAC. I'm glad that you had a blast just like I did over here!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #751 on: September 17, 2018, 01:19:09 AM »
Those pics look and feel marvellous, Tim. If there's someone I know who deserves that reward for thirty years of love, that's you.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #752 on: September 17, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »
I've been avoiding this thread. I had a ticket to go see this in LA, and it ended up falling at a time that just did not work out for me to do it. And then one of my best friends lets me know this weekend that the two New York shows were some of the best live shows he's ever seen (and like me, he's been to upwards of 300 concerts, if not more). Just heartbreaking. My only solace is that I know they are doing the Blu-Ray and live CD. But I'm still really bummed about it. It was necessary to miss it (some family concerns), but after 30 years of being a fan, this was my chance to see Kiske front Helloween, and it probably won't happen again.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #753 on: October 07, 2018, 04:39:12 AM »
Good news: Master Of The Rings finally clicked for me. I can't get enough of it now. :metal

Bad news: The Time Of The Oath fucking sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #754 on: October 07, 2018, 04:48:00 AM »
Good news: Master Of The Rings finally clicked for me. I can't get enough of it now. :metal

Worse news: you totally don't get The Time of the Oath :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #755 on: October 07, 2018, 05:09:04 AM »
Eh, maybe, but I honestly found it difficult to get through. There's so many songs that sound alike (FA1/IIK, ST/Power/MM), , some songs feel aggressive with no other real appeal other than pure adrenaline (We Burn, BTW, KWBK), the epics feel like they never end, the track order makes absolutely no sense, & overall I just found it a difficult experience from beginning to end. I don't think it's that I don't "feel" the songs so well like I did with Rings, or that I think they're mediocre. I just find them straight up difficult to listen to.

I also cheated & listened to a few other albums while I was waiting for MOTR to click. Better Than Raw I found really unmemorable & formulaic (though who knows, that one may click eventually), The Dark Ride mostly kicks ass but has pretty noticeable filler (that title track though :hefdaddy), & I just couldn't finish Rabbit Don't Come Easy no matter how hard I tried.

So, those are my actual thoughts.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #756 on: November 29, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »

Worse news: you totally don't get The Time of the Oath :metal

Better news: You were right. It just clicked for me  :metal

I need to stop posting first impressions, it seems I'm not very good at it. :\

Anyway, I've finished the discography now. Maybe I'll post a ranking when I let them all sink in a little more.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #757 on: November 29, 2018, 05:41:24 PM »
I always dug Master of the Rings. And I was a big fan of The Dark Ride. As a whole though, the Deris-fronted discography felt weak in comparison to the first two Keeper records. I am hoping that with both Kiske and Deris, this next one will become the perfect balance.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: November 29, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
I am hoping that with both Kiske and Deris, this next one will become the perfect balance.

Yeah, 9 Kiske tunes and 1 Deris tune. Sounds pretty balanced to me! :D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: November 29, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
I am hoping that with both Kiske and Deris, this next one will become the perfect balance.

Yeah, 9 Kiske tunes and 1 Deris tune. Sounds pretty balanced to me! :D

Surprised you'd let him have 1 tune Tim.

I always dug Master of the Rings. And I was a big fan of The Dark Ride. As a whole though, the Deris-fronted discography felt weak in comparison to the first two Keeper records. I am hoping that with both Kiske and Deris, this next one will become the perfect balance.

The argument comes up so much and has done for years now.  I think this one really comes down to a matter of taste.  I prefer the Deris era but however, I don't think any of the Deris albums have the classic status that Keepers 1 has.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #760 on: November 29, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
I was originally thinking 9 Kiske tunes and an instrumental. :lol

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #761 on: November 29, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »
Actually, fuck it.

A-tier (albums I absolutely love :hefdaddy)
#1. Keeper Of The Seven Keys 2
#2. Keeper Of The Seven Keys: The Legacy
(2.5. Helloween EP)
#3. The Dark Ride
#4. Chameleon
#5. Gambling With The Devil

B-tier (albums I really enjoy :metal)
#6. Master Of The Rings
#7. Walls Of Jericho
#8. Keeper Of The Seven Keys 1
#9. The Time Of The Oath
10. My God Given Right

C-tier (albums I think are just okay :\)
11. 7 Sinners
12. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
13. Straight Out Of Hell
14. Better Than Raw
15. Rabbit Don't Come Easy

(this is VERY subject to change, as I only just finished the discography)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: November 29, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
I was originally thinking 9 Kiske tunes and an instrumental. :lol

The band could be called;

Helloween featuring Andi Deris on distant faint background vocals and Sasha Gertsner because we would feel bad booting him. (Yes, we know this looks like what Iron Maiden did.)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »
Actually, fuck it.

(2.5. Helloween EP)
#3. The Dark Ride
#4. Chameleon

#6. Master Of The Rings
#7. Walls Of Jericho
#9. The Time Of The Oath
10. My God Given Right

11. 7 Sinners
12. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
13. Straight Out Of Hell
14. Better Than Raw

I still to this day don't understand why no one likes Rabbit Don't Come Easy.  It's my go to album, it's filled with great tunes IMO, and covers all aspects of Helloween's sound.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #764 on: November 29, 2018, 06:51:35 PM »
Actually, fuck it.

(2.5. Helloween EP)
#3. The Dark Ride
#4. Chameleon

#6. Master Of The Rings
#7. Walls Of Jericho
#9. The Time Of The Oath
10. My God Given Right

11. 7 Sinners
12. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
13. Straight Out Of Hell
14. Better Than Raw

I still to this day don't understand why no one likes Rabbit Don't Come Easy.

Indeed. I love it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: November 29, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
Better Than Raw never seems to get a lot of mentions but that was one of, if not the first, Helloween album I bought.  I was very impressed.  I didn't know a lot about the band before BTR, but I went and bought pretty much everything right after that.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #766 on: November 29, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »
Actually, fuck it.

(2.5. Helloween EP)
#3. The Dark Ride
#4. Chameleon

#6. Master Of The Rings
#7. Walls Of Jericho
#9. The Time Of The Oath
10. My God Given Right

11. 7 Sinners
12. Pink Bubbles Go Ape
13. Straight Out Of Hell
14. Better Than Raw

I still to this day don't understand why no one likes Rabbit Don't Come Easy.

Indeed. I love it.

Honestly I just find it aggressive to the point of being exhausting to listen to. The production is so in-your-face that it honestly gives me a headache after a few songs, let alone a full hour.

Though I don't any production could stop me from liking Nothing To Say. That's one great song.

But then again, I don't think any good production choices could make me like Do You Feel Good, that's probably my least favourite song they've ever done.

Basically, the album is a mixed bag with a bad mix. :P

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #767 on: July 02, 2019, 07:20:34 AM »
Aaaaand we're gonna get a live DVD and album - UNITED ALIVE!

:metal

Coming out October 4th.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #768 on: July 02, 2019, 07:34:18 AM »
Aaaaand we're gonna get a live DVD and album - UNITED ALIVE!

:metal

Coming out October 4th.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

I've been thinking about Helloween lately. I wonder how their next album is progressing. Haven't heard anything about it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #769 on: July 02, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
That's because they haven't said anything about it, except a short message I've noticed on the fly some days ago, about how the work on the new album is going well.

They're keeping it quiet, most likely they're chilling out with no pressure at Tenerife, and I like it this way after all. They're working in secret and with headlights shut, when it will be done, it will be done.