Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 182699 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1610 on: July 09, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
I like the SOIS-PP-NWO run. They have a nice sweet spot in the middle of their discography.

I'd also recommend The Awesome Foursome live album. Great collection of songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: July 09, 2021, 05:47:01 PM »
I like the SOIS-PP-NWO run. They have a nice sweet spot in the middle of their discography.

Those 3 are their peak for sure.  NWO made my top 50.  Powerplant might have as well.

That live album has a killer setlist!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: July 10, 2021, 06:21:01 AM »
This popped up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZX3kwkAaNs

Full concert from the Master of the Rings tour. Could be fun...

Just watching a little of this now.

Wow, second song is Ride the Sky, unexpected.  Andi sounds surprisingly solid on this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1613 on: July 10, 2021, 08:22:28 PM »
So I watched this video tonight..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIj5YFxtuQ

Probably the best fan footage of the Pumpkins United tour. Unfortunately, some songs are cut (Halloween, Keeper, How Many Tears), but most of the show is in tact. The footage is excellent and the sound is amazing.

What's great about this is that it really shows how much the band seems to be enjoying themselves, Kiske seems to be battling a cold or something. Not that he doesn't hold back, as he's great as usual. Some funny parts, like Sasha's backing vocals during Eagle Fly Free.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: July 11, 2021, 04:36:01 AM »
It's a quiet Sunday evening and I've decided to do a bit of running commentary on this album.  A few thoughts and my opinions as I listen through.  Decided to do this because it seems I've been the most critical in here in regards to the album.  After a few listens it is growing on me nicely.

Out for the Glory - Tim mentioned South of Heaven and he's bang on.  It's kind of a weird intro for the type of song it is.  Nevertheless, once it kicks in, the verse has a nice memorable up and down kind of melody and Kiske makes his entrance known.  The chorus is classic Helloween and classic Weiki.  Tim mentioned that in an interview they wrote this around Gambling I think?  The Saints is the song that comes to mind here constantly as I listen to this.

Interesting that they said it didn't work til now.  Would love to hear Andi on this.  Kai's additions in the vocal department is cool and welcome but misleading for the rest of the album.  Classic Helloween solo section with sounds like Weiki taking control here.  Sounds like Sascha comes in at 5:05 to add some slickness and then at 5:19 it may be Kai?  The solos on the album are one thing that I haven't really paid much attention to.  Nothing really has stood out yet in that department truthfully.  I love the Occassion Avenue kind of reprise at 6:06.  One thing I do enjoy is the key change in the chorus, that's worth mentioning.  Great opener.

Fear of the Fallen - I really enjoyed this one when released on youtube.  You can tell this is Andi's song and when you here his vocals, I feel at home.  Great songwriter.  That main riff reminds me of Gambling again, Paint a New World I think is what I'm thinking but I'd have to check.  I like how the chorus comes in pretty quick after a short verse, doesn't waste any time.  Our first hearing of the interplay between the two and I'm warming to it all. 

I think for this one though, I would have liked Andi to do the full sing with Kiske doing backing maybe.  Kiske sang the full opener and would have been cool for Andi to kind of have his opener too, but it's fine how it is.  The solos come along pretty quickly and pretty stock standard.  Sascha is the first cab off the rank here.  Then 2:48 is definitely Kai all the way through to the harmonies again.  Great key change in there for Kai's solo also, that's class.  4:20, I love that 'listen' from Andi in the background.  The 'listen to your heart' section is probably a top 3 moment of the album, just brilliant.  Pretty top tier Deris track that would be a highlight on any of his albums.

Best Time - I love this song and loved it right away.  So easy to get into and really fun.  The melody that the whole song revolves around is pure bliss.  The chorus is just georgeous.  Would have liked Andi to take lead in one of the choruses though but it kind of sounds like Sascha wrote it for Kiske.  Sascha's little parts now we know it's him is quirky and cool.  Pretty sure all the leads here are Sascha, makes sense since it's his song.  Funny Deris wrote it with him but does bugger all vocals, interesting. 

Mass Pollution - Again, this has Andi written all over it and I enjoyed this one right away too.  It's good to hear his vocals again.  It seems Kiske has about 75% of the vocals on the first three songs which probably gave Tim the impression that Andi was dudded but luckily it evens up a little.  The verse here is pure Rabbit Come Easy for me, maybe even a little Dark Ride.  The chorus has a killer groove and a really catchy melody.  The chorus however reminds me more of Straight Out of Hell I think.

That riff at 2:04 reminds me heavily of something from Andi's wonderful Bankers solo album.  The solo is Sascha in the first part, after that climb, I think there's a Maiden style solo from each one.  Sascha I think first, then Kai, then Weiki finishes it off.  Could be wrong on some of these so don't hold me to them.  Cool tune but a very typical Deris era song.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: July 11, 2021, 05:05:38 AM »
Angels - Yeah, I finding it hard to get into this one.  I appreciate the experimenting and them trying something different but I don't know.  The chorus is decent enough I guess but seems a bit below the first four songs.  Again, we have Kiske as the main man.  Maybe Tim was right, maybe the split is far in favour of Kiske.  Just nothing here really sounds like Helloween.  Could be an odd Place Vendome song or even a Unisonic song, not sure.  I can hear now that Sascha wrote a lot of stuff here for Kiske as it's hard to imagine Andi singing this one truthfully.

I do like that DT like transition into the solo.  Get Invisible Man vibes too.  The solo of course is Sascha.  His lead playing and dare I say leadership in that department would have been sorely missed if he wasn't here.  When Andi enters, that's probably the best moment of the song.  Even though I'm not that sold on the song, you know what I like?  Andi takes the lead but listen to how Kiske echoes Andi.  The words 'desire' and 'higher' Kiske replicates Andi's diction and Kiske sings those words different to how he would sing them normally.  Perfect call and answer and that's fucking class.  The song is a grower, it's fine and will probably grow more.

Rise Without Chains - Another Deris number.  Sascha and Andi really take control on this album.  I like they are still the main men and obviously aren't intimidated by Kai and Kiske.  I guess I'm liking it more by realising that.  even though I said it's a standard Deris album, that's exactly what I should like I guess because that's the Helloween I grew up with.  Pretty cutting choppy riff but I like it.  Andi smokes on this one.  Again, not much verse work, and pretty quick into the chorus.  I like the classic nature of the chorus.  That odd time in there is very clever and works well.  Not sure what album I hear this one on.  This one actually gives me MOTR/TTOTO vibes which is cool.  I think this one they fucking nail the interplay.  First pre chorus and chorus by Andi then the second by Kiske, this is what I'd like to see more of.

Standard solo part with some nice melodies straight off.  After the melodies, the first solo is Kai, then 3:03 is unmistakbly Sascha.  I love what happens at 3:09, I'll have to pick the guitar up and see what they are doing there.  Like it resolves to a major.  They share that last chorus which is brilliant.  The call and answer things works well here again.  Yeah, really nice song.

Indestructible - A Markus song and hearing it, that makes sense.  Although sounds a bit Gamma Ray with the intro but nice and heavy here.  This one for me is just okay.  Sounds like it's from Straight out of Hell, especially that pre chorus.  Kai's addition here in the chorus pricks the ears up.  He probably should have done a bit more in the vocal deparment.  Listening now, I didn't think he did much lead work either, but really listening, I was wrong.  That's him on that short solo before the second verse too.  Great lyric here with the Gambling with the devil reference. 

The pre chorus actually reminds me of MGGR, but that's fine.  The chorus has Unisonic vibes too.  The solo I think goes Sascha, Kai, Weiki, Sascha....I think.  The cool little melody in the back end of the solo section sounds like something Sascha would do.  If anything, Weiki sounds a bit shortchanged in the solo department, but as albums went on, it seemed like he was happy for Sascha to be the main guy.  This song is fine, nothing more.

Robot King - Speaking of Weiki, it seems like he knocked this one out of the park.  I mentioned before but his songs are some of the best he's done for a while.  Nice key change right away in that opening section.  Love hearing Andi on this one.  That verse is fantastic.  The songwriting follows the singers and Kiske fits perfectly in that pre chorus.  Not sure if the part at 1:15 is the chorus or the robot king part is really, but nevertheless, this section reminds me heavily of Avantasia.  The melodies are pure Tobi, I love it.  You do have to love the twists and turns this song takes.  Takes a few listens but again great songwriting from Weiki.  I will say, the lyrics are one thing I haven't followed yet so I can't comment on the content or the writing of the lyrics.

That Robot King chorus part is fantastic, Andi rips!  That first section of the solo is pure classic Weiki Helloween.  Nice tone he has here actually.  He's always been great at creating melodies and bringing them out in his solo sections.  Gotta love that classical section at around 4:25.  Classic cheesy over the top outro too.  Highlight this song.

Cyanide - Another Deris song and probably not the best song on this album.  There is however nothing wrong with this song, but it does feel a bit filler.  Definitely you get a SOOH/MGGR vibe.  Even a 7 Sinners vibe slightly comes to mind too.  The chorus is awkward at first but it grows on you.  There's some heavy shit going on in the background on that chorus though which is sweet.  The verse is pretty typical too and I will say the transitions into the chorus is quite good.  Andi does sound powerful here too.

Sascha on the solo on this one once again.  He and Andi certainly do have a great chemistry and working relationship by the sounds.  The good thing about this song which helps it is that it's so short.  It's aptly placed in the album too but wouldn't have been mad if it was a bonus track.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: July 11, 2021, 05:33:22 AM »
Down in the Dumps - I mentioned the other day that this one was my fav, and I think I still stand by that.  It's funny as Weiki written songs aren't normally at the top of the lists for me with Helloween, especially Deris era.  That almost 80's intro is so good before it kicks, just a great atmosphere.  The main riff drives so hard but is so simple yet so crushing.  A bit heavier for Weiki's style normally.  The change into that verse is brilliant.  Love hearing Kai in the background too.  Again, you can't help but to think of the Saints, All Over Nations, those types of songs here.  The melodies for Andi's section is fantastic, really really good.  Then we get Kai which carries the melodies even more, good stuff.

Back into the heavier chorus the transition seem like it would be disjointed but quite the opposite.  Get a Keeper 3/Rabbit vibe from this song, especially those verses.  Saying that, as I did teh other day, this song pretty much sums up Helloween of every era yet it all connects well.  Kiske hitting some high notes there too.  Weiki again with those beautiful melodies in the middle.  At 4:22 I think we have Sascha, then I think moves to Kai with some nice melodies.  5:16, highest notes ever from Kiske??  I can see this being one underrated tune.

Orbit - Follow the Sign anyone?  Surely not intentional....pffft!  That little Happy Happy Helloween easter egg in there too is a nice touch.

Skyfall - Yeah, I'm still struggling with this one.  It's a good song.  That main melody is really really good and memorable, but I still can't help but to feel this song is to warrant Kai's involvement.  If he had a hand in some other songs or something maybe but this feel out of place.  While enjoyable and welcome, still out of place.  The verses strongly remind me of From the Ashes from Land of the Free 2.  Actually a lot of the riffing here reminds me of that album.  Anyway, Kiske sounds good and chorus is really really nice.  You can't help but to sing along here truthfully. 

I don't know what to think about the mid section with Kai's singing.  Cheesy as fuck and teh song feels like it's starting to drag a little.  Once it kicks into the solos though, we're back on course.  Pure generic Gamma Ray though with the Hangar 18 section.  I do love that fast bit afterwards with Andi.  This song needs more Andi.  I'll have to listen to the solos more carefully or watch the video but I'm starting to look to see how long is left of this song.  7:38 is a pure rip off from Armageddon from Powerplant, pretty blatant that.  There's probably more too throughout the song. It's good to get back to the main melody as I feel the whole mid section was a bit disjointed.  The outro though is cool and a great finale.  Funny song this, parts are really good and other parts are just bland and not needed.  Anyway, somewhere out in space, not sure what I think of that little easter egg.

Golden Times - WTF is this doing on the second cd?  Rivals DITD as the best song here.  A shame there's no Andi but this song is a ripper.  Sascha fucking nails this one.  That chorus, hmmm....probably the best of the whole album.  Classic, melodic, just beautiful.  The 'shine in the dark, and guide through the night' line is just fucking amazing and Kiske sounds incredible. 

I don't know what album I'd place this one truthfully.  Sascha seemed to have nailed some old school Helloween vibes here but I can't place it anywhere.  Great metal mid section and Sascha all over this one.  Again, at 2:57 hitting some old school vibes and that's something Weiki would do.  Listening to this part, I think this song could fit on Rabbit pretty well.  I think the first part of the solo actually may be Weiki.  That middle part of the solo though is Kai, nice solo that one.   Sascha in Gambling style finishes things off nicely.  Wonderful song, just wonderful.  I wish there were more songs in this vein actually.  As the song finishes, this might beat DIID for the best song for me.

Save My Hide - Ha, this is a fun song.  A bit of a Deris solo type song but it rocks hard.  I love the lyrics, and I think we all can relate to them at some points in our life.  The chorus is melodic as fuck too and catchy as hell.  I'd rate this songs up there in the rankings too actually.  That melody in the solo part is damn cool too, perfect and nothing more is needed.  Even though I'd take it over a number of album tracks, you can see why this is a bonus track.  Not much to say on this one, short, catchy, well done, great song.

So there you have it.  I was super critical on this at the start, but loving this band since 2001 I knew this album had to grow.  And it's growing nicely.  Still not sold on the production but it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it was at the start.  Nice addition to the Helloween catalog and exciting to see where the band go from here.  Love seeing Andi and Sascha steering the ship also, both those guys ARE Helloween to me.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1617 on: July 11, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »
Great write-up, that was an enjoyable read!

I pretty much agree with everything, as far as the "bigger" songs are concerned. Kind of funny that I'm normally not a huge fan of the happiest of the happy Helloween choruses, but I'm really enjoying Weikath's songs in this one (which generally tend to be those kinds of songs). I'm with you Down in the Dumps is especially great in that regard. It has a kind of "ferociousness" (by Helloween standards, of course) that's really exciting to hear. They are all truly firing away on that one.

And speaking of classic sound, yes, I agree Golden Times should have been on the album proper. Great song.

Totally feel the Time of the Oath vibe on Rise Without Chains, both in the riff and the chorus.

The only thing I'd say - I enjoy Angels a lot. A little different, and it sounds great to me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1618 on: July 11, 2021, 02:46:59 PM »

Those 3 are their peak for sure.  NWO made my top 50.  Powerplant might have as well.
Agreed, those three are easily their best IMO. My favourite is definitely SOIS but the other two are solid as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1619 on: July 11, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »
Kade, I was hoping you'd do a solo breakdown.

I've been watching a ton of interviews for the album. Sasha is a real interesting cat. The guy is a Schenker fanatic, so I try and spot his solos by if it sounds like Schenker.

Yeah, the story behind Best Time is that when they all met in April 2019 to play their demos to each other, Sasha had Best Time. It may have been his pop version. He had the chorus, but had no verses, just a space for them. Andi loved the song, so when they convened to record the album, Andi and Sasha banged out the rest of the song in an hour in a hotel room. So Andi basically wrote the verses.

I love that they left his vocals in. I love the "There's nowhere left that we can go
Pushing on to higher goals"
part. It's actually my favorite part of the song.

With Angel, he was sending the track to Kiske beforehand, so I think the demo he presented already had Kiske on it. That's a great tune and it's my sleeper on the album. I love everything about it, especially the instrumental part in the middle.
Sasha is a guy I can definitely root for. He's so humble, but talented as hell. He's been in Helloween for over 17 years, and I'm glad he's not getting edged aside. Weiki seems content on just doing his thing, but Kai will fucking take over if you let him.

I'll buy anything Michael Kiske is on, but to me, what makes this whole thing special is the inclusiveness and camaraderie of everyone.

------------

Andi's writing for the album is really inconsistent for me. Fear Of The Fallen and Rise Without Chains are great tunes, but Mass Pollution and Cyanide are easily my bottom two on the album. Even Save My Hide is a straight away B-side. I'd even take We Are Real over Cyanide. I like that We Are Real has Andi and Kai singing together. I certainly would've been happy for Golden Times to replace Cyanide.

I had to check the Armageddon reference for Skyfall, as I simply don't recall Gamma Ray tunes by title. Yeah, I can see it I guess. I love the middle part where Kai is singing. It adds a lot more depth to the track. I could do without the yeah yeah yeah part before he begins though.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:04:40 PM by TAC »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1620 on: July 11, 2021, 04:44:59 PM »
Kade, here is Eagle Fly Free from the video I posted last night. Sasha owns the backing vocals! Especially after the solos.

https://youtu.be/ueIj5YFxtuQ?t=3183

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: July 11, 2021, 06:34:26 PM »
Kade, here is Eagle Fly Free from the video I posted last night. Sasha owns the backing vocals! Especially after the solos.

I'll watch tonight mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: July 11, 2021, 07:01:14 PM »
Kade, I was hoping you'd do a solo breakdown.

I've been watching a ton of interviews for the album. Sasha is a real interesting cat. The guy is a Schenker fanatic, so I try and spot his solos by if it sounds like Schenker.

Yeah, the story behind Best Time is that when they all met in April 2019 to play their demos to each other, Sasha had Best Time. It may have been his pop version. He had the chorus, but had no verses, just a space for them. Andi loved the song, so when they convened to record the album, Andi and Sasha banged out the rest of the song in an hour in a hotel room. So Andi basically wrote the verses.

I love that they left his vocals in. I love the "There's nowhere left that we can go
Pushing on to higher goals"
part. It's actually my favorite part of the song.

With Angel, he was sending the track to Kiske beforehand, so I think the demo he presented already had Kiske on it. That's a great tune and it's my sleeper on the album. I love everything about it, especially the instrumental part in the middle.
Sasha is a guy I can definitely root for. He's so humble, but talented as hell. He's been in Helloween for over 17 years, and I'm glad he's not getting edged aside. Weiki seems content on just doing his thing, but Kai will fucking take over if you let him.

I'll buy anything Michael Kiske is on, but to me, what makes this whole thing special is the inclusiveness and camaraderie of everyone.

------------

Andi's writing for the album is really inconsistent for me. Fear Of The Fallen and Rise Without Chains are great tunes, but Mass Pollution and Cyanide are easily my bottom two on the album. Even Save My Hide is a straight away B-side. I'd even take We Are Real over Cyanide. I like that We Are Real has Andi and Kai singing together. I certainly would've been happy for Golden Times to replace Cyanide.

I had to check the Armageddon reference for Skyfall, as I simply don't recall Gamma Ray tunes by title. Yeah, I can see it I guess. I love the middle part where Kai is singing. It adds a lot more depth to the track. I could do without the yeah yeah yeah part before he begins though.

I'll have to hunt down We Are Real.  Haven't heard that one yet.

That bolded part has me thinking.  Since Skyfall seems a bit different, I wonder if it was Kai's decision or the Andi/Sascha/Weiki's decision for him not to be any more involved if that even was a decision.  Or maybe it's just he doesn't have time to contribute more than what he does.  I was surprised at his involvement with the solos however which was a pleasant surprise.  I think Kai would have been much more challenging in the ego department than Kiske if you ask me.  Glad he hasn't taken over as from Skyfall he would have made it sound like a totally different band.  But so far so good.

Yeah, Sascha is a cool guy.  I wasn't sure on him at first after Roland who I really like, but he's made himself a mainstay and an integral member as much as Andi and Weiki for me.

The album is growing nicely, I've accepted what it is.  I'm not sure how it will stack up against some of the older Deris stuff but it's very good.  And it's probably my ears but for some reason, I think my ripped Mp3 version sounds clearer than the cd.  :huh:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1623 on: July 11, 2021, 07:19:19 PM »

That bolded part has me thinking.  Since Skyfall seems a bit different, I wonder if it was Kai's decision or the Andi/Sascha/Weiki's decision for him not to be any more involved if that even was a decision.  Or maybe it's just he doesn't have time to contribute more than what he does.  I was surprised at his involvement with the solos however which was a pleasant surprise.  I think Kai would have been much more challenging in the ego department than Kiske if you ask me.  Glad he hasn't taken over as from Skyfall he would have made it sound like a totally different band.  But so far so good.

When they met up to present their demos, Kai didn't have anything. He would finish Skyfall later.

In a Kiske interview I watched, Kai kind of expected to sing all of Skyfall. They even recorded him singing the whole thing, and was adamant about it, but he was outvoted by EVERYONE involved.

Kiske actually laments the fact that Kai didn't write more. I would bet if they do a follow up, he'll contribute more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1624 on: July 11, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »
So I found this interview with Roland tonight. I set it for the spot where he says they asked Kiske to join Masterplan before they asked Jawn. I had never heard this. Is this old news?

https://youtu.be/pd5ImklrLvc?t=88

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: July 11, 2021, 08:08:03 PM »

When they met up to present their demos, Kai didn't have anything. He would finish Skyfall later.

In a Kiske interview I watched, Kai kind of expected to sing all of Skyfall. They even recorded him singing the whole thing, and was adamant about it, but he was outvoted by EVERYONE involved.

Kiske actually laments the fact that Kai didn't write more. I would bet if they do a follow up, he'll contribute more.

Listening more, I'm kind of glad Kai didn't write more.  I love Kai and Gamma Ray but even though I mentioned I felt like this is just a Deris era album with Kai and Kiske thrown in, the more I'm happier with that outcome.  I listened to the album again on my rounds this morning for work and Skyfall is a great song I must say, but I just can't help but to feel like it doesn't really feel like a part of the album, if that makes sense.

We'll see the result on the next album if Kai is involved more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1626 on: July 11, 2021, 08:10:05 PM »
This is amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ZgI-q64KE

I mean, high heels?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1627 on: July 11, 2021, 08:13:28 PM »
Listening more, I'm kind of glad Kai didn't write more.  I love Kai and Gamma Ray but even though I mentioned I felt like this is just a Deris era album with Kai and Kiske thrown in, the more I'm happier with that outcome.  I listened to the album again on my rounds this morning for work and Skyfall is a great song I must say, but I just can't help but to feel like it doesn't really feel like a part of the album, if that makes sense.

It's the crown jewel! I love it!

The vocals are amazing on it, especially Kiske when he smacks you in the face in that first verse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: July 11, 2021, 08:37:27 PM »

It's the crown jewel! I love it!

The vocals are amazing on it, especially Kiske when he smacks you in the face in that first verse.

I can easily see why people think Skyfall is the opus.  I'm not disputing that but I'm not sure exactly where I'd rank it.  I'll think about it.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1629 on: July 12, 2021, 03:27:56 AM »
I'll post this here;

New live video from upcoming Gamma Ray CD/DVD.

https://youtu.be/texJxGWwADg

Damn good.

That does sound really good.

I only really know Land of the Free as an album and a bunch of individual Gamma Ray songs. What is a good Gamma Ray album to check out aside from Land of the Free (which I find excellent)?

Most albums are quality, but Powerplant and Somewhere Out in Space.

A good introduction is Blast From the Past though, great re-recorded compilation.

Saying all that, No World Order is my personal fav.

Thanks, I will check it out!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: July 12, 2021, 05:22:14 AM »
I was totally wrong about Golden Times on two counts.  First being is that the first solo is Kai, middle one is Weiki and then Sascha.

Secondly, it's the best song on the whole damn thing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: July 12, 2021, 05:32:48 AM »
So I found this interview with Roland tonight. I set it for the spot where he says they asked Kiske to join Masterplan before they asked Jawn. I had never heard this. Is this old news?

https://youtu.be/pd5ImklrLvc?t=88

Yeah I don't think I've heard that before.  His guest spot on Heroes then makes sense.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: July 12, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »

Haha very nice.  He harmonizes pretty well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: July 12, 2021, 06:02:01 AM »
Bloody hell! We Are Real is a shocker.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1634 on: July 12, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »

Yes, I love that it's Andi and Kai together. That's a cool dynamic. Love how Markus wrote himself a nice bass solo in the song. :lol

I'd take this and Golden Times and take out Mass Pollution and Cyanide.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: July 12, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »

Yes, I love that it's Andi and Kai together. That's a cool dynamic. Love how Markus wrote himself a nice bass solo in the song. :lol

Shocker is Aussie slang for bloody awful!  :lol

No way I'd swap any song here for it.  But I'll try it again.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1636 on: July 12, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »

Shocker is Aussie slang for bloody awful!  :lol

No way I'd swap any song here for it.  But I'll try it again.
Thanks for that, you actually made me check it out because of that word... :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: July 12, 2021, 05:05:57 PM »
I'm probably being harsh.  I'm guessing Weiki wrote it?  Seems like a song they would normally chuck on an album.  Most albums have a Can Do It, Do You Feel Good type of song like this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1638 on: July 12, 2021, 05:10:50 PM »
I'm probably being harsh.  I'm guessing Weiki wrote it?  Seems like a song they would normally chuck on an album.  Most albums have a Can Do It, Do You Feel Good type of song like this.

It's a Markus track. I just find it fun and anthemic.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1639 on: July 12, 2021, 05:54:23 PM »

The lyrics are pretty cringe-worthy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: July 12, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »

It's a Markus track. I just find it fun and anthemic.

Ah!  I was tossing up between the two.  Gut said Markus but head said Weiki.

I have the urge to listen to this some more.  Running through it again this morning in the car.  Glory is a wonderful song.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #1641 on: July 12, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
Fear of the Fallen is my current favourite tune. I love the vocal harmonizations between Kiske and Deris, especially in the last minute, “liiiisten, liiiisten”  : :metal

I agree with TAC on Angel being a great song and probably one of the strongest cuts on the album.

Skyfall took me a while to latch onto, but now I'm loving it. It could never match the brilliance of the epic Hallowe’en, but I think it might come close to rivaling Keeper of the Seven Keys (the song).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1642 on: July 13, 2021, 07:49:57 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: July 13, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
Fuck yes!

https://youtu.be/5xJSVK9q1hM

That song is a great deep underrated cut from TTOTO.  This performance is detuned quite a bit though.  The middle section rips and Sascha does a great job on that Roland solo.  Does his things but keeps all the key melodies in check.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1644 on: July 13, 2021, 08:01:20 PM »
From the same tour..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtpwUlXp5w

Sascha starts this off with a great Schenkerific solo, including bending the neck.

Fuck yes!

https://youtu.be/5xJSVK9q1hM

That song is a great deep underrated cut from TTOTO.  This performance is detuned quite a bit though.  The middle section rips and Sascha does a great job on that Roland solo.  Does his things but keeps all the key melodies in check.

Before The War is a great tune.