Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United

Started by wolfking, October 12, 2010, 03:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

Quote from: Evermind on June 25, 2021, 09:45:33 AM
Coming around on this album, definitely their best in a while. It's not classic Helloween, obviously, but I like more than half of the songs here which is good. I respect Deris, but Kiske really makes this album shine for me. It's not even the high notes, it's just his voice works really well as a counterpoint to Andi's rougher voice.

I love him all throughout his range.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: TAC on June 25, 2021, 05:02:30 AM
That's the alternative vocals mix that was released with the Skyfall Edit single.
Ok, thanks. I thought it was diffrent but couldn't find info on it.

gazinwales

'Helloween' has debuted on the official German Charts at number 1.
First time ever the band has been at the top of their home country charts.

TAC

Quote from: gazinwales on June 25, 2021, 03:12:40 PM
'Helloween' has debuted on the official German Charts at number 1.
First time ever the band has been at the top of their home country charts.

I watched an interview with Ken Mary last night and apparently the new F&J is at #9. Germany doing it right!
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

TAC

The part at :50 of Mass Pollution totally reminds me of Alex Harvey.

And :20 of Angels feels straight out of Heaven's Cove.

gazinwales

'Mass Pollution' reminds of 'Riding On The Wind', the riff and vocals in the first chorus, sounds somewhat similar to my ears  :metal

TAC

Quote from: gazinwales on June 25, 2021, 07:24:11 PM
'Mass Pollution' reminds of 'Riding On The Wind', the riff and vocals in the first chorus, sounds somewhat similar to my ears  :metal

Hmm..I'm trying, brother. :lol

Riding On The Wind is a Top 10 Priest tune for me.

TAC

Quote from: Evermind on June 25, 2021, 09:45:33 AM
Coming around on this album, definitely their best in a while. It's not classic Helloween, obviously, but I like more than half of the songs here which is good. I respect Deris, but Kiske really makes this album shine for me. It's not even the high notes, it's just his voice works really well as a counterpoint to Andi's rougher voice.

I think my favorite line from Kiske on the entire album is in Skyfall where he goes: "The dark, the fear of the night
And the pain settles down deep within"

Followed by Andi's amazing "Coming home to a place still unknown And the hope as I dream is undying"

TAC

gazinwales

Quote from: TAC on June 25, 2021, 07:59:28 PM
Quote from: gazinwales on June 25, 2021, 07:54:58 PM
https://youtu.be/BRlKD1-QALY

:metal

Love the comments.

Popeye being strangled.
:rollin

My sister asked me many years ago, why do they call it death metal?'
I answered, 'because the singer sounds like he is being strangled to death'.

MirrorMask

The album is coming together for me. I like how it doesn't pander to nostalgic people - here's another Eagle, here's another Dr. Stein.... it's "just" a modern Helloween album with the added benefit of Kiske's vocals, and a monumental epic by Kai Hansen. Solid stuff.

TAC

gazinwales

Got mine last week from CD Japan, waiting for the vinyl versions now.
More restrictions where I live so I can't travel to my 'local' metal shop in person.

wolfking

Mladen

To this day, that is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I get choked up only looking at the GIF.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

This album grows on me every day. I really dig the old school feel to it while still sounding fresh. I love the section 4:00 in Out for the Glory with the riffs and bass lines and King Diamond:esque screams.

Melphina

Check out what arrived for me today with a couple of other purchases. Click to enlarge. This is the prettiest looking vinyl I've ever owned, hats off to the band for such awe inspiring artwork.

TAC

ErHaO

Quote from: Melphina on June 28, 2021, 01:45:03 PM
Check out what arrived for me today with a couple of other purchases. Click to enlarge. This is the prettiest looking vinyl I've ever owned, hats off to the band for such awe inspiring artwork.

Damn, is that the "regular" picture disc version? I usually don't buy picture discs but that looks ace.

I love that recently some bands have been returning to good artwork.

Melphina

It is this version. I wasn't expecting to get it so quickly. I ordered it exactly one week ago (Monday night) and it shipped Friday. https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/products/sound/vinyl/2pic-lp/helloween-helloween-picture-vinyl-import-.html

I'm not even going to play it. This thing is staying in its package forever and will just be taken out to admire occasionally. That's the only reason I buy new vinyls; I only listen to 'older' vinyls on my record player.

gazinwales

Picture Disc vinyl are great to look at, but quality is poor and I never play mine.

wolfking

That's a magnificent looking picture disc indeed.

Mladen

The best thing about it is Cyanide leading into Orbit and Skyfall. Damn, I wish Down in the dumps was among the bonus tracks on the CD issue as well.  :lol

wolfking

Quote from: Mladen on June 29, 2021, 12:50:59 AM
The best thing about it is Cyanide leading into Orbit and Skyfall. Damn, I wish Down in the dumps was among the bonus tracks on the CD issue as well.  :lol

That's interesting with that tracklisting.

Melphina

Down in the Dumps is one of my favorites. It's such a fierce song and Andi's screams are the cherry on the top.

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on June 29, 2021, 04:02:42 AM
Quote from: Mladen on June 29, 2021, 12:50:59 AM

That's interesting with that tracklisting.

I love Down In The Dumps. The vocals on that are ridiculous and the vocal harmonies and melodies are great. If I could make one switch, I'd swap out Cyanide for Golden Times.

TAC

This album is a clinic in vocal harmonies. In an interview with Kiske, he said that Dennis Ward was basically in charge of the vocals. Instead of the guys hammering out which parts they'd sing, Ward created a roadmap of who'd sing what. They said that 60% of the vocals were as planned by Ward, but that the other 40% were decided in studio after hearing each singer sing.

Kiske also said the Kai expected to sing Skyfall, and was pretty adamant about it.

ErHaO

I really liked Skyfall when I first heard it, but as I like it more with each listening, I now really love the song. Same applies to the entire album to some extent.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: ErHaO on June 30, 2021, 03:06:17 AM
I really liked Skyfall when I first heard it, but as I like it more with each listening, I now really love the song. Same applies to the entire album to some extent.
Yea it's been a real grower the whole album for me.

Right now favourites are:

Out for the Glory (2:30  :metal)
Fear of the Fallen (4:30 layered vocal section)
Robot King (Love the straight to the point chorus with the high vocals)
Golden Times
Skyfall

Quote from: TAC on June 29, 2021, 06:39:00 PM
This album is a clinic in vocal harmonies. In an interview with Kiske, he said that Dennis Ward was basically in charge of the vocals. Instead of the guys hammering out which parts they'd sing, Ward created a roadmap of who'd sing what. They said that 60% of the vocals were as planned by Ward, but that the other 40% were decided in studio after hearing each singer sing.

Kiske also said the Kai expected to sing Skyfall, and was pretty adamant about it.
Yea there's so many great vocal layers in the mix. Who is actually singing the really high pitched parts?

TAC

Quote from: MrBoom_shack-a-lack on June 30, 2021, 03:27:59 AM
Who is actually singing the really high pitched parts?

Most likely it's Kiske, but I think Deris can get up there too.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

Quote from: TAC on June 21, 2021, 07:12:06 PM
Also, Dani recorded this album on Ingo's drums.
Oh interesting, the drums sounds so huge especially the toms. I wonder what kind of afterwork that's been done from the acoustic stage.

Found a video of Daniel playing on the Keepers kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZH50QM6GQ&ab_channel=Helloween

Also stumbled upon some footage of Ingo in action. As a drummer sometimes i'm blown away how ahead of it's time some were, I mean hearing someone blasting away on doublepedals in 1989 wasn't exactly as common as it is today. Altough I was 7 at that time so how would I know I guess. :lol

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free (Ingo Schwichtenberg) 1989 Live in Japan

TAC

Quote from: MrBoom_shack-a-lack on June 30, 2021, 06:03:46 PM
Also stumbled upon some footage of Ingo in action. As a drummer sometimes i'm blown away how ahead of it's time some were, I mean hearing someone blasting away on doublepedals in 1989 wasn't exactly as common as it is today. Altough I was 7 at that time so how would I know I guess. :lol

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free (Ingo Schwichtenberg) 1989 Live in Japan

I've seen that before and yes, it is ridiculous. :metal

nick_z

This popped up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZX3kwkAaNs

Full concert from the Master of the Rings tour. Could be fun...

TAC

Quote from: nick_z on July 01, 2021, 06:48:15 AM
This popped up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZX3kwkAaNs

Full concert from the Master of the Rings tour. Could be fun...

I was watching part of that the other day. Very cool.

Was just watching an interview with Andi. He mentioned that the band's original running order had Fear Of The Fallen as the first track, but the record company wanted Out For The Glory.

Down In The Dumps continues to grow on me. Such great melodic vocal lines throughout the entire song.