Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179103 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1330 on: April 02, 2021, 03:59:36 PM »
I saw the video and it's an absolutely glorious cheesefest  :metal :metal :metal

Song is great, it doesn't feel cut and paste, looking forward to the missing five minutes and the entire album!!!  :hefdaddy
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1331 on: April 02, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
I was torn on listening, but in the end..I did. It will be my one and only listen until the album comes out.

It felt like some sort of medley. I liked all of the parts, but hopefully the missing 5 minutes will be able to pull the whole thing together. I didn't detect and Deris lead vocals though. Did I miss them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1332 on: April 02, 2021, 07:05:16 PM »
TAC, see the videoclip, yes there are a few of them. The video is really cheesy and very very cool at same time! :tup
My opinion is that the song sounds like it wasn't edited, though I agree that a lot of its parts seem to pass fast.
A very positive review, song by song, in portuguese: https://www.wikimetal.com.br/novo-album-helloween-kai-hansen-michael-kiske/
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1333 on: April 02, 2021, 07:28:34 PM »
The beginning sounds like it transitions from an intro. Knowing it was an edit, I expected a fadeout, and sure enough, they do one of the chorus which I think goes into a repeated intro (I sure hope so).

Need to listen again though. I only heard it once.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: April 02, 2021, 07:35:47 PM »
I'll probably cave and watch the video.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1335 on: April 02, 2021, 07:44:01 PM »
TAC, see the videoclip, yes there are a few of them. The video is really cheesy and very very cool at same time! :tup
My opinion is that the song sounds like it wasn't edited, though I agree that a lot of its parts seem to pass fast.
A very positive review, song by song, in portuguese: https://www.wikimetal.com.br/novo-album-helloween-kai-hansen-michael-kiske/

Thanks D, but I gave it the one listen that I'm going to. I will wait for the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: April 04, 2021, 04:49:56 AM »
Not sure what to think after watching the video.  Sounded more like a mix of Unisonic and Gamma Ray, but more Unisonic.  The chorus sounded more like Helloween though.  It did seem pretty disjointed.  Not going to judge based on that but there were some cool parts.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1337 on: April 05, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »
I got the CD single with both versions of "Skyfall" on Friday. I listened once then, and I am listening to the full version now. I dig it. Having all three guys sing really brings a sense of unity to me. It certainly has some old school vibe and it is mixed with, as said previously, with some of the Unisonic and Gamma Ray sound. But it's certainly Helloween for sure. A fun romp.

If I wanted to get hyper critical, I could argue it sounds a bit more like pieces of songs jammed together to make it one tune. But while there's merit in that sort of argument there are call backs throughout the song to bring it all together. It's not quite as "natural" sounding as songs such as "Halloween" or "Keeper of the Seven Keys." But then again, we've lived with those two songs for what, 33 years? The only thing that makes it seem "disjointed" to me is exactly the thing that I think also  brings a sense of unity -- the multiple vocalists. But that's Helloween in 2021. All of them are going to be a big part (I assume) of the new record, and to be honest, if all the rest of the songs are more traditional featuring one of the vocalists, then having this big epic featuring them together was exactly the right way to go.

I'm excited to hear the album as a whole. I put in my pre-order of the vinyl/cd earbook this weekend. Looking forward to it. And come hell or high water, I WILL be at the next couple shows on the West Coast U.S. I don't care what it takes.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1338 on: April 27, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »

Online the_silent_man

« Reply #1339 on: April 28, 2021, 04:05:42 PM »
Cool interview.
With regards to the album art, is the version with the Helloween logo right on top of the angels face still the official one or has this been fixed now? It bugs me so much on an otherwise awesome artwork!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1340 on: May 01, 2021, 05:28:32 PM »
Only 2 bonus tracks on 2CD digibook. Are they long songs?
Anyway, that's my edition. :tup

No Pumpkins United.  :'(

Also on the Nordic Earbook Edition  ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1341 on: May 05, 2021, 03:01:46 AM »
Second single "Fear of the Fallen" coming May 21st! :metal

It will be cool to hear a shorter song from the album, as opposed to a heavily edited version of an epic!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1342 on: May 11, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
Kai Hansen on the story behind Skyfall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwlESHr1i8M

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1343 on: May 14, 2021, 08:10:39 PM »
As much as I am a Kiske guy, I'm fine if they don't keep BOTH Halloween and Keeper Of the Seven Keys in the next setlist. Personally I would love to see them open with King For 1000 Years. Kiske could add a ton to that song, and they could even have Kai do the "King for 1000 years" part.
I think that would be a kick ass opening track.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1344 on: May 14, 2021, 09:26:13 PM »
Sadly, one of my biggest concert regrets was not seeing this past tour. I had tickets and a flight and everything and had to bail for family reasons. So I would love to have both of them in there (Halloween and KotSK), but I won't be upset if they aren't. I just hope they still play a lot from both Keeper I, Keeper II and the new album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1345 on: May 14, 2021, 11:45:11 PM »
As much as I am a Kiske guy, I'm fine if they don't keep BOTH Halloween and Keeper Of the Seven Keys in the next setlist. Personally I would love to see them open with King For 1000 Years. Kiske could add a ton to that song, and they could even have Kai do the "King for 1000 years" part.
I think that would be a kick ass opening track.

Agreed!

I'd love to see King for a 1000 years as an opener! They opened with it on "Keeper Legacy" tour, and it worked very well. It's easy to see how that song could be arranged between Deris, Kiske and Hansen vocal sections! I think Skyfall is a given for the next tour.

Other songs I would like to: Light the Universe is a great ballad, and it's already arranged for two singers. Deris sings he's own parts, and Kiske sings Candice Night's vocal sections!

Here is a choice out of left field; Midnight Sun. I don't think they have ever played it live, and it is one of the most kickass Deris era songs! I don't know why the haven't played that live yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: May 15, 2021, 01:22:19 AM »
Midnight Sun is a good one.  I'd love songs like Push, Handful of Pain or some Weiki numbers from the Dark Ride like Salvation or All Over Nations.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1347 on: May 15, 2021, 02:32:58 AM »
There are some amazing songs from that era that beg to be performed live. Midnight sun, We damn the night or I live for your pain come to mind. Unfortunately, there are plenty of songs from those albums that were written by former members, so they probably won't get played.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1348 on: May 15, 2021, 04:58:55 AM »
Here are the songs that I consider, for each singer, the big absence from the last tour and that might quite well be considered for the next one:

Hansen - Victim of Fate
Kiske - Twilight of the Gods
Deris - Where the Rain Grows

More generally, the Deris albums are so full of great and forgotten songs that you could make an entire setlist out of them.

And yes, King for a 1000 Years definitively needs to be played, lyrics wise it's entirely told from the point of view of the devil so there's not much room to add different singers as voices but what the hell, it's not gonna be weird if different singers sing the same character, it's something you can easily overlook. for example Kiske can do the kinda happy chorus, while Deris keeps the intro and the verses and Hansen does the "we're the king for a 1000 years" menacing part.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1349 on: May 15, 2021, 07:08:03 PM »
Sadly, one of my biggest concert regrets was not seeing this past tour. I had tickets and a flight and everything and had to bail for family reasons. So I would love to have both of them in there (Halloween and KotSK), but I won't be upset if they aren't. I just hope they still play a lot from both Keeper I, Keeper II and the new album.

Brian, I was actually thinking of you when I posted that and briefly thought I was being kind of a dick, especially with such a limited run of US dates. But I think my larger point is that I don't want the relative same setlist with like 2 new album songs added. I'm just hoping they change it up a bit. I mean even if you (not you personally, Sam) didn't see the show, there's plenty of boots on youtube and such, even a live album. I guess I'm just looking for some variety.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1350 on: May 21, 2021, 03:06:41 AM »
Another new song, probably the best of the three released so far
https://youtu.be/P95N5j2i2yw

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1351 on: May 21, 2021, 03:24:50 AM »
Fear of the Fallen was amazing! :metal

Hair raising vocal performances from Kiske and Deris!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: May 21, 2021, 06:06:03 AM »

I didn't even know they released a second one.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1353 on: May 21, 2021, 06:10:38 AM »
This proves that Bruce Dickinson is full of crap when it comes to the Three Tremors project - stating that it was impossible to write songs that feature 3 singers.  What he really meant is that it was impossible for him to put his ego aside and let two other singers share a five minute song.

Helloween found a way to do it!  Andi gets a verse, Kiske takes the chorus, then they swap - Kiske gets the verse and Andi takes the chorus. 

It's cool to see how they split up the songs for the singers.   This song rocks!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1354 on: May 21, 2021, 06:43:36 AM »
Really nice song and the vocals are excellent! For what I'm hearing, this album will only disapoint for people expecting the band returning to the style of the Keepers albums.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1355 on: May 21, 2021, 07:21:26 AM »

I didn't even know they released a second one.

"Indestructible" was included as a bonus track on the Skyfall single, and was leaked to Youtube...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: May 21, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
I haven't heard any previous songs but this one was amazing. Very promising.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1357 on: May 21, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
I haven't heard any previous songs but this one was amazing. Very promising.

So good!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: May 23, 2021, 04:09:30 AM »

Yeah, wow, that was excellent.  Love the chorus and a really nice key change in the solo too which had me smiling.  That 'listen to your heart' section before the last chorus was bloody amazing too.  The main riff reminds me of Gambling with the Devil era.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1359 on: May 23, 2021, 12:33:37 PM »
Now this song is what I was expecting from them. Nothing more and nothing less.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1360 on: June 10, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
One more week until the long wait is over  :yarr
Can't remember the last time I was so hyped for a new album...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1361 on: June 10, 2021, 01:46:59 PM »
One more week until the long wait is over  :yarr
Can't remember the last time I was so hyped for a new album...

:metal

I'm quite calm about this. When it will come, it will come. I didn't even heard the second song released beside the first listening. And I tried to not overplay Skyfall, which I probably haven't heard in a month at least, even though when I see the title I already think of....

IIIIIIII
FELL FROM THE SKYYYY
SO DON'T ASK ME WHYYYY
I'M FEELING SO DOOOOOOWN

:metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1362 on: June 10, 2021, 09:26:42 PM »
I'm pretty much the same now, I don't over-listen to pre-album released singles.
I heard the Skyfall edit once didn't like it much, the other two new songs Indestructible and Fear Of The Fallen were great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: June 10, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
I'm pretty much the same now, I don't over-listen to pre-album released singles.
I heard the Skyfall edit once didn't like it much, the other two new songs Indestructible and Fear Of The Fallen were great.

Same for me.  Only listened to Skyfall once and wasn't that keen either.  Didn't even check Indestructible yet.  Fear was indeed amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1364 on: June 12, 2021, 02:13:35 PM »
Andi Deris is impressive. What a great attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNqDabztUs