Author Topic: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United  (Read 179121 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Official Helloween thread v. Pumpkins United
« Reply #1120 on: October 07, 2019, 04:44:26 AM »
Those two songs from The Dark ride are my favorites on the album. Massively underrated tunes.  :metal

And yeah, who can forget 7 sinners?  :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: October 07, 2019, 05:40:11 AM »
Those two songs from The Dark ride are my favorites on the album. Massively underrated tunes.  :metal

And yeah, who can forget 7 sinners?  :hefdaddy

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1122 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:08 AM »
The new live album and video are amazing.  I hated having to miss the tour, so it's awesome to have the blu ray to watch.  Every band member was on fire, especially Kiske...that guy is unstoppable.  24 songs, plus a few bonus tracks.  Plenty of bonus content and interviews.  I'm just hooked on these guys right now. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1123 on: October 07, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
I Live For Your Pain is criminally underrated in my opinion, so it's good to see it getting some love here. ;D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1124 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »
;

20. I Live For Your Pain (The Dark Ride)

19. Listen to the Flies (Rabbit Don't Come Easy)

18. Make Fire Catch the Fly (Straight Out of Hell)

17. The Departed (Sun is Going Down) (The Dark Ride)

16. Hell Was Made in Heaven (Rabbit Don't Come Easy)

Album number 5....

5. 7 Sinners

Some similarities..

I had:
7 Sinners at #6.

Hell Was Made In Heaven at #17
Listen To The Flies at #15
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: October 08, 2019, 05:03:01 AM »
Nice Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1126 on: October 11, 2019, 05:37:12 PM »
So United Alive is still not available on Amazon. WTF!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1127 on: October 11, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
So United Alive is still not available on Amazon. WTF!!

You can get it directly from Nuclear Blast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1128 on: October 11, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »
Yeah I know. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks. If it's my only option I'll have to.

I try to buy from Amazon exclusively...(not too) long story.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1129 on: October 12, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »
I like Halloween. Their discography confuses me though. Pink Bubbles? Chameleon?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1130 on: October 12, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »
I like Halloween. Their discography confuses me though. Pink Bubbles? Chameleon?

Consider those albums their rebellious teenage years and move on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1131 on: October 12, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »

Lot of good stuff on Pink Bubbles.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1132 on: October 12, 2019, 05:25:15 PM »
Chameleon is awesome! :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: October 12, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
I think The Chance and Giants are two of the best songs in the entire Helloween catalogue.

Like Tim mentioned, why the heck is united alive not available on Amazon?? That’s strange

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1134 on: October 13, 2019, 01:13:04 AM »
Like Tim mentioned, why the heck is united alive not available on Amazon?? That’s strange

Must be a regional thing, amazon germany has the cd, the blue- ray and the dvd and a package containing everything.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: October 13, 2019, 05:01:17 AM »
15. Back on the Ground (Better Than Raw (bonus track))

LOL @ this being a bonus track.  This track is amazing, plain and simlple.  I love the Rush Power Windows type intro, beautiful.  Nice simple rolling riff and the verses do their job.  Roland's solo after the first verse is super cool.  The reason as Tim mentioned this song being so good is that 2 minute breakdown section.  This is seriously one of the coolest things the band has done.  Just keeps going and Roland just doing some epic freestyle improvisation.  Honestly, would have love to see how the song went if the section kept going for another minute at least then just went into a slow fade out.  but wonderful song.

14. Open Your Life (Rabbit Don't Come Easy)

Another underrated strong tune coming from the Rabbit album.  I like the lyrics to this one.  The line, 'time seems an endless road when we are young, we don't need a genius to know that it's wrong,' is just wonderful.  The main riff is simple and catchy the verses rock.  The real kicker is the wonderful chous which is pure modern yet classic sounding Helloween.  The Stacaato riffing in between choruses and verse is cool too and the stop start sections of the solo are cool.  Great simple climax too from Sasha for the solo too.  Don't need anymore, one of the albums best.

13. If I Could Fly (The Dark Ride)

This was the song that got me into Helloween.  I remember hearing the name Helloween when I was first discovering Maiden and Sabbath etc. when I was like 13.  I believe I sampled Eagle Fly Free and thought it was okay, but cause I was just getting into metal, I didn't quite take to the happy sound so much.  Dunno where I saw this but took me by surprise as it was completely different to what I had heard with Eagle, mostly the voice.  At the time though this was more my thing and really enjoyed the radio single sound of it.  Got the album from there and The Dark Ride was my introdcution and then songs like Nations and Salvations made understand the other side of Helloween.  This is a simple song but it's great.  Typical Andi type song and great melodies.  Roland's solo again is killer.

12. Occasion Avenue (Keeper: Legacy)

I never understood the intro to be honest, but anywho.  This song is a perfect opener for the second cd of the album.  Nice and dark and heavy with a dense atmosphere.  Simple riff but I love how the band throws some single 3/4 bar in there too to keep the tension high.  The chorus is amazing and Andi slays it.  The fast section before the middle section is brilliant too.  The riffs before the solo has some interesting notes but haven't really studied that section yet.  Great tension before a straight minor solo from Sasha explodes.  The only thing is I wish the quiet section after that was either not there, or cut down considerably.  How long that is stops this song being top 5 honestly.  But the strength of everything else still makes it top 12.

Gonna stop there tonight because I can't decide which song misses the top 10.

Albums.

4. Keeper Legacy

The thought of a third keeper was interesting when it was announced, but they did a remarkable job.  Disc 1 is stronger than disc 2 but both have totally different feels too which makes them both just as important as one another.  A couple of big epics and some classic stuff in there too.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1136 on: October 19, 2019, 01:37:38 AM »
Got the United Alive Blu-Ray yesterday and already watched it!

It was very good! :tup The Blu-Ray was spliced from three different shows at Wacken, Rio De Janeiro and Madrid. Jumping between the shows wasn't all that jarring, and they probably did it so they could get the best performances out of each. Only disappointment was that the Wacken songs heavily used footage from the 2018 Wacken livestream, and it was backed up by some of their own footage shot by their own camera man.

Other than that United Alive was a blast! :tup

There was a bonus interview on the second disc. it was like 30 minutes, but it was pretty sweet. There was stuff about how they acquired the footage of Ingo for the drum battle, and some thoughts about their fellow bandmates. There was also a small bit when Andi talked about Pink Cream 69, and he didn't mince words about it. It was pretty clear that he has a some kind of grudge with PC69 members still.

The interview also reaffirmed that they are clearly going to continue forward as a seven piece band. There was even a foreword from Andi in the box that basically ended with the words: "This lineup is meant to continue, this lineup is meant to last"!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: October 20, 2019, 03:57:00 AM »
Got the United Alive Blu-Ray yesterday and already watched it!

It was very good! :tup The Blu-Ray was spliced from three different shows at Wacken, Rio De Janeiro and Madrid. Jumping between the shows wasn't all that jarring, and they probably did it so they could get the best performances out of each. Only disappointment was that the Wacken songs heavily used footage from the 2018 Wacken livestream, and it was backed up by some of their own footage shot by their own camera man.

Other than that United Alive was a blast! :tup

There was a bonus interview on the second disc. it was like 30 minutes, but it was pretty sweet. There was stuff about how they acquired the footage of Ingo for the drum battle, and some thoughts about their fellow bandmates. There was also a small bit when Andi talked about Pink Cream 69, and he didn't mince words about it. It was pretty clear that he has a some kind of grudge with PC69 members still.

The interview also reaffirmed that they are clearly going to continue forward as a seven piece band. There was even a foreword from Andi in the box that basically ended with the words: "This lineup is meant to continue, this lineup is meant to last"!

Nice mate.  If they continue, I wonder what that means for Gamma Ray and Kiske's other projets like Place Vendome and Avantasia.

Also didn't know that there was bad blood with Andi and PC69, but it's clear who got the last laugh whatever the situation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: October 20, 2019, 04:04:38 AM »
Album top 3;

3. Better than Raw

This is a blinder of an album and such a step up from Oath IMO.  Lots of heaviness but lots of trademark Helloween stuff.  It's tough that this album is only number 3.  If Back on the Ground and A Game We Shouldn't Play were included and Lavdate was the bonus track, this might even be the best Andi Helloween album.

1. The Dark Ride/Rabbit Don't Come Easy

Rabbit made my top 50 some years back.  For some reason The Dark Ride didn't make it and not even top 60 was it considered.  After listening and revisiting the albums, The Dark Ride is probably better now.  I can't split it as I remember I discovered the band with the Dark Ride and enjoyed the sound and the tunes.  When Rabbit came it, it was the PERFECT album to get me into the happier stuff even more and make me discover the Keeper albums.  As mentioned before, I didn't take to them straight away but the Dark Ride helped, but Rabbit was the perfect album.  I remember listening to a illegal downloaded copy before I could get my hands on the cd.  I always felt a bit funny back then listened to downloaded stuff as I loved the physical cd.  Fucking loved the pop up bunny in the packaging.

I always had this at number 1 and TDR at number 2, but now I can't splilt them.  I remembered listening to TDR how fucking amazing this album is.  Nostalgia keeps them tied for first spot but these days in a pinch if I had to choose one, I think I'd go for TDR now.  The number of songs in my top 25 also shows my liking for it which somehow slipped under the radar.  Such an amazing almost perfect album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: October 20, 2019, 04:25:18 AM »
11. King for a Thousand Years (Keeper: Legacy)

Stormer of an opener this one.  Almost seems like a sequel to Halloween really with the main riff and the harmony section later in the song which is similar.  The verses are excellent and the chorus classic Helloween.  There is so much going on and the middle almost DT Metropolis type section sees the band hit more progressive territory.  I would have liked more solos throughout but it's not an issue.  The only thing that keeps this from top 10 is I never really overly enjoyed the darker "King for a Thousand Years" section, seemed a little jarring.  That's nitpicking and this is as epic as epic goes for the band.

10.  All Over Nations (The Dark Ride)

Probably another surprise here, but this is classic Helloween.  Being on the Dark Ride with the production inbetween Mr Torture and Escalation also helps.  The chorus here is HUGE and the lyrics are silly but lovely.  I love the 'let's give each other certainty' line, that's awesome.  The positive vibe of the chours is just ridiculous and it doesn't let throughout.  I really like Weiki's solo in this one, it's well constructed.  The key change for the last chorus is brilliant.  A shame as I don't know if this one was ever played live. 

9. You Stupid Mankind (7 Sinners)

I always really enjoyed this one.  Simple riffing here but effective.  Lyrics seem like it's about alien invasion or something but parts of the lyrics can be related to real life and actually are quite good.  The two parts that make this song rate so highly is firstly that pre chorus.  That could be close to the best most melodic and wonderful pre chorus the band has done, so good.  The chorus while not overly cathy is still melodic and effective.  The second thing that makes this so good is Sasha's solo but firstly let's appreciate Andi's almost growl like vocals on the 'they don't care' lines, so damn cool.  Sasha's solo is perfect.  Both parts are amazing and it's really such a well written and constructed solo, I usually have to rewind when listening to hear it over a few times again.  I want to learn this one but the way the band tuned on this one is a pain in the ass, but I should do it, he's doing some cool shit in there.

8. Time (Better Than Raw)

Here's is another one most wouldn't expect.  The atmosphere on this song gives me chills.  Everything about this is beautiful and sad at the same time and Andi's performance is brilliant.  The way the song just keeps gearing up is great songwriting and the chorus is catchy even though it's a somber song.  The double time at the end of the chorus is wonderful.  My favourite part is the 'woahs' in the second chorus, damn that's awesome.  Weiki's solo again is perfect for the tune.  Not over the top but reflects the mood amazingly well.  So different and unique.

7. Hey Lord! (Better Than Raw)

Here's one Tim will agree on.  This is an absolute cracker of a tune.  It's simple, catchy, great atmosphere and just breathes and sails along so nicely.  The band aren't doing anything exciting here musically wise except write a fucking great tune.  Catchy as fuck chorus and just everything about it is brilliant.  I give props again to Michael for his solo.  This guy is no virtuoso, but again such a simple melodic solo that is PERFECT for the song.  so good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1140 on: October 20, 2019, 06:21:03 AM »
15. Back on the Ground (Better Than Raw (bonus track))

14. Open Your Life (Rabbit Don't Come Easy)

13. If I Could Fly (The Dark Ride)

12. Occasion Avenue (Keeper: Legacy)

11. King for a Thousand Years (Keeper: Legacy)

10.  All Over Nations (The Dark Ride)

9. You Stupid Mankind (7 Sinners)

8. Time (Better Than Raw)

7. Hey Lord! (Better Than Raw)

Albums.

4. Keeper Legacy

3. Better than Raw

1. The Dark Ride/Rabbit Don't Come Easy

I love seeing Hey Lord up that high. It's really catchy and that chorus is so addictive. I rated the two epics from Legacy much higher, but that's cool. At least you got them.

Time is actually a great song, with as you say, a really cool vibe.

I think we have 3 of the same 4 Top 4 albums.
Better Than Raw is amazing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: October 20, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »
Solid update, curious what the number one will be.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1142 on: October 20, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
And finally, I bought United Alive. Amazon has it. Of course I gotta wait a week for the actual thing, but Autorip :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1143 on: October 21, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »
Better Than Raw was the first Helloween album I bought and would be my top Andi album. For me, Hey Lord is the standout track on the album but there is lots of great stuff on it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1144 on: October 21, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »
And finally, I bought United Alive. Amazon has it. Of course I gotta wait a week for the actual thing, but Autorip :metal

I had the Blu-Rays and got my orange vinyl, but it didn't have a download code. So I ordered the CDs yesterday too. Thank God for autorip.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #1145 on: October 21, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
I've been listening to pretty much nothing but Helloween for the last two weeks because of this live release.  If I'm not watching the blu ray, I've got one of their studio albums on.  After two weeks straight, I'm finally starting to crack and listen to some other stuff.   :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1146 on: October 22, 2019, 08:09:17 AM »
I've been listening to pretty much nothing but Helloween for the last two weeks because of this live release.  If I'm not watching the blu ray, I've got one of their studio albums on.  After two weeks straight, I'm finally starting to crack and listen to some other stuff.   :lol

:rollin
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: November 03, 2019, 03:10:44 AM »
Not that anyone really gives are shit but here's the rest of my top 25 Andi list;

6. See the Night (Gambling With the Devil (bonus track))

This is so fucking underrated.  IMO the bands best bonus track.  This is classic Helloween and I can't believe this didn't make the album.  The chorus is AMAZING and the main reason for being so high.  Just one of the bands best choruses.

5. Kill It (Gambling with the Devil)

I'm just a sucker for this style, especially when done by Helloween.  The speed, the agression, the lyrics which are so relevant in today's society and the longish solo section from Sascha is excellent.  Love the groovy chorus, brilliant.

4. Handful of Pain (Better Than Raw)

Another underrated gem, and an absolute highlight from BTR.  This just has a really brooding strong atmosphere that grips you right from the get go.  Wonderful chorus, so overlooked.

3.  We Damn the Night (The Dark Ride)

This jumped in my rankings just when I went back and listened to all the albums.  This jumped out more than it had in the past and I had to keep going back to it. What a wonderful chrous.  Sounds like Roland singing it too.  Classic style but mixed perfectly with the darker sound.

2.  The Dark Ride (The Dark Ride)

The Roland ride is in full swing here with a wonderful long epic to close off the Dark Ride and Roland's time with the band.  Love everything about this song.  The riffing in the verses is excellent and the speed of the chorus is lovely.  The extended solo section is very creative and well put together too.  The ending is especially special in it's structure the way it closes out, very classy.

1. Push (Better Than Raw)

I know Tim is probably punching his computer screen but I wasn't sure if this or the Dark Ride gets teh top spot, but I fucking love everything about this song.  This one is Uli's show really.  The lryics, the heaviness, Andi's brutal vocals, the middle Megadeth style riffing and the excellent instrumental section.  Love the melodies going on in the solos here, very well thought out.  The lryics are more relevant today than they were 20 years ago and very relatable.  Just a ripper of a song and a great opener.  Again, underrated IMO.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1148 on: November 03, 2019, 03:40:55 AM »

Another underrated gem, and an absolute highlight from BTR.  This just has a really brooding strong atmosphere that grips you right from the get go.  Wonderful chorus, so overlooked.

And I managed to hear it live  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: November 03, 2019, 03:46:33 AM »

And I managed to hear it live  :metal

I assume this wasn't played live all that often?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1150 on: November 03, 2019, 05:07:50 AM »
To the best of my knowledge it wasn't considered for the tour of Better than Raw (its own album) and was introduced only in the Seven Sinners tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: November 03, 2019, 05:15:16 AM »
To the best of my knowledge it wasn't considered for the tour of Better than Raw (its own album) and was introduced only in the Seven Sinners tour.

Huh nice. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1152 on: November 03, 2019, 05:20:26 AM »
Handful of pain is extremely underrated and one of my favorites of the Deris era. Also, Push is a brutal one.  :metal

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: November 03, 2019, 05:20:31 AM »
Man, I really need to listen to the Deris era albums again. Out of these six, I only remember how Push and The Dark Ride go.

Honestly if there's interest I may go next with the Top 25 thing or something similar.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1154 on: November 03, 2019, 05:52:03 AM »
Honestly if there's interest I may go next with the Top 25 thing or something similar.

I'd follow for sure.