Author Topic: Pantera  (Read 29463 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Pantera
« Reply #350 on: November 23, 2023, 05:01:56 PM »
There's one early live video where he hits those high notes at the end, but after that he didn't even bother trying to tackle the ending in his prime.  No way could he even attempt it now. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #351 on: November 23, 2023, 07:12:32 PM »
I nearly mentioned Heaven in Hell in my post actually, as I agree that this would've been better. They could've billed themselves as Black Sabbath but I suppose it's slightly different as they were making new music. As unhappy as I am with "Pantera" bring back, I'd be even more pissed off if they tried to write a new album and claim it was Pantera.
Intially it was just to support a new compilation of the Dio-era of the band, wasn't it? Yeah, they recorded 3 new songs, but that's nothing significant. I think the fact that Tony specifically decided (in other words, was not forced to) change the name to differentiate between the Dio and Ozzy bands was very classy. Shame that Phil and Rex couldn't learn from them.

I didn't think he could use the name Black Sabbath if Ozzy wasn't part of it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #352 on: November 23, 2023, 07:53:51 PM »
I nearly mentioned Heaven in Hell in my post actually, as I agree that this would've been better. They could've billed themselves as Black Sabbath but I suppose it's slightly different as they were making new music. As unhappy as I am with "Pantera" bring back, I'd be even more pissed off if they tried to write a new album and claim it was Pantera.
Intially it was just to support a new compilation of the Dio-era of the band, wasn't it? Yeah, they recorded 3 new songs, but that's nothing significant. I think the fact that Tony specifically decided (in other words, was not forced to) change the name to differentiate between the Dio and Ozzy bands was very classy. Shame that Phil and Rex couldn't learn from them.
No. AFAIK, that whole thing came much later. They started doing shows as HaH in 2007. I don't think the Ozzy stipulation came into play until 2011 or 2012.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #353 on: November 23, 2023, 08:04:24 PM »
No. AFAIK, that whole thing came much later. They started doing shows as HaH in 2007. I don't think the Ozzy stipulation came into play until 2011 or 2012.

Gotcha!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: February 21, 2024, 12:48:35 PM »
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN!!! Time to figure out how to get in on tomorrow's presale!  :metal

I plan on attending, but I'd be shocked if this show sold out so I may wait on getting tickets.  Good for them though, booked the world's most famous arena!  :metal

Show is tomorrow!  I think they lowered the ticket prices, I can't recall seeing $100 lower level and $54 upper level tickets before, but it looks like it sold well enough.  My friend is hooking a bunch of us up with his work suite seats tomorrow.  Pretty excited, not just for the show, but these guys mostly never come out to concerts so it'll be fun just to go to one with them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2024, 02:04:01 PM »
Thought they were pretty good last night.  Sound was great, the arena was packed, crowd energy good.

Pantera - I'm Broken LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 2/22/2024

Pantera - Walk LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 2/22/2024

There was definitely a bit of the "wow were playing at MSG" type of moments which I always love. 

Not the best picture, but you get the idea of how packed the Garden was:

Offline Awaken

« Reply #356 on: February 24, 2024, 05:56:53 AM »
Great video, Marc - definitely looks like an awesome crowd for them/Lamb of God!  Hoping to catch them on a future leg/tour.  I saw Pantera so many times during the Vulgar Display of Power/Far Beyond Driven tours, been hesitant on this iteration but looks like they're delivering a great show.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2024, 05:31:04 PM »
Thought they were pretty good last night.  Sound was great, the arena was packed, crowd energy good.

Pantera - I'm Broken LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 2/22/2024

Pantera - Walk LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 2/22/2024

There was definitely a bit of the "wow were playing at MSG" type of moments which I always love. 

Not the best picture, but you get the idea of how packed the Garden was:

Thanks for the videos (as always)!

Phil sounds great, the band sounds tight–I'm still not on board with how it's being billed, but at least they are doing a good job delivering the goods.

As for the "I'm Broken" solo–I've yet to see Zakk nail it. It's such a good illustration of how sneaky good Dime was as a player.

Zakk's been playing that song for a year and that solo (in particular) still gets the best of him. I mean, 98% of those in attendance won't care, and he does nail about 90% of it, but the point stands–Dime is incredibly difficult to duplicate. (Reminds me of Satch's issues with "Mean Streets" on Stern a while back).