Author Topic: Evergrey thread.  (Read 60405 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Evergrey thread.
« Reply #805 on: March 02, 2021, 11:57:13 PM »
I'm still not sure what I think of this album, but in general I'm a fan of Tom's voice (except with Redemption :p)

I like his vocals on The Inner Circle, Recreation Day, etc the most, but he sounds good now too.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #806 on: March 03, 2021, 12:11:21 AM »
I want to like this band, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that Tom sounds like a sad, Swedish Michael Bolton.  Itís that same overwrought, emotional delivery but with Tom, that emotional delivery is generally a melancholic malaise.  I would actually love to hear Evergrey do a gloomy version of When a Man Loves a Woman.

Fact? Nope your opinion and it's the first time I've seen that, had me chuckling just a little  ;D

Offline wolfking

« Reply #807 on: April 05, 2021, 03:29:27 AM »
So, I really really like this new album. This one has a bit of a different direction again, which I can appreciate.  Very depressive with lots of atmosphere and moodiness going on.  Tom's lyrics since he and his wife broke up seem to be getting more troubling also.

Someone mentioned earlier about the riffing.  Yeah, their riffing is all starting to sound the same.  The title track is the exact same riff as A Silent Arc.  I hope they mix this aspect up a little.  I'd love to hear some songs go back to the six string and standard or drop D tuning.  The low A stuff I think they are in does tend to blend and mesh together a bit.

However, I really like everything on here.  The balance between the rockier songs and darker slower numbers works well.  Wasn't keen on The Beholder at first, but I love it and James sounds great on it.  My fav track is probably Eternal Nocturnal.  Amazing melodies and great classic solos.  Not enough Tom soloing on this again but Henrik rips.  That solo section of the title track is possibly the heaviest moment of their career.  Really mature album with some great songwriting and a bit different.  I get vibes from all their stuff really.  A lot of Glorious Burden vibes actually which I don't mind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #808 on: April 05, 2021, 08:40:45 AM »
So, I really really like this new album. This one has a bit of a different direction again, which I can appreciate.  Very depressive with lots of atmosphere and moodiness going on.  Tom's lyrics since he and his wife broke up seem to be getting more troubling also.

Someone mentioned earlier about the riffing.  Yeah, their riffing is all starting to sound the same.  The title track is the exact same riff as A Silent Arc.  I hope they mix this aspect up a little.  I'd love to hear some songs go back to the six string and standard or drop D tuning.  The low A stuff I think they are in does tend to blend and mesh together a bit.

However, I really like everything on here.  The balance between the rockier songs and darker slower numbers works well.  Wasn't keen on The Beholder at first, but I love it and James sounds great on it.  My fav track is probably Eternal Nocturnal.  Amazing melodies and great classic solos.  Not enough Tom soloing on this again but Henrik rips.  That solo section of the title track is possibly the heaviest moment of their career.  Really mature album with some great songwriting and a bit different.  I get vibes from all their stuff really.  A lot of Glorious Burden vibes actually which I don't mind.

Weird. I don't hear any of that.  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #809 on: April 05, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »
I've given enough listens now to say that I enjoy it, but don't love it.  I think some others here have expressed what I kind of feel here, a lot of the songs sound very similar and don't stand out to me.  It's not bad, just doesn't really blow me away by any means.  It's enjoyable, but so far not a top album in 2021 based on the releases I've heard so far.  I'd say it's on par with The Atlantic.

Offline wolfking

« Reply #810 on: April 05, 2021, 02:53:56 PM »

Weird. I don't hear any of that.  ;D

:lol  :facepalm: