Author Topic: Happy Slayer Day!!  (Read 7410 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Happy Slayer Day!!
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 05:10:47 AM »
Drag!!  It's the 7th here in Aus and I did not listen to one note of Slayer yesterday. I am sad.  :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »
This is my 666th post. I figured this thread would be appropriate for the occasion.

:metal
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »
:metal
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
Slayer played SITA in full the other day and I could've gone and I didn't and oh bother  :facepalm:
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
Slayer played SITA in full the other day and I could've gone and I didn't and oh bother  :facepalm:
This isn't me trying to sound like a dick; I'm just informing you: They're playing it in full on all the Carnage dates, along with Megadeth playing Rust In Peace. Testament didn't jump on the band wagon and isn't gonna play Souls Of Black, but said (I think) they're gonna play a lot of their heavier stuff like songs from Low and The Formation Of Damnation.

Offline Cerberus

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
 :tdwn

No slayer in my house! I did play quite a bit of In Flames though...

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »
This isn't me trying to sound like a dick; I'm just informing you: They're playing it in full on all the Carnage dates, along with Megadeth playing Rust In Peace. Testament didn't jump on the band wagon and isn't gonna play Souls Of Black, but said (I think) they're gonna play a lot of their heavier stuff like songs from Low and The Formation Of Damnation.
They WERE going to play The Legacy, but I think they realized that such an amazing experience would make people kill themselves when they got back to their daily lives.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2024, 10:16:42 AM »
I know there are other SLAYER threads, but I think this one is fitting for the announcement of the band coming back to the stages:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/slayer-returns-to-headline-louder-than-life-2024-along-with-motley-crue-slipknot-korn/

The band has two official dates on their FB too.

Online nick_z

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2024, 10:24:14 AM »
Well, I guess it's fitting they'd return in a bill that also has Motley Crue  ;)

Didn't King just say all sorts of vaguely bitter things in regards to Araya, though? All water under the bridge? Or maybe I'm just not remembering right...not following it too closely.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 10:31:44 AM »
Well, I guess it's fitting they'd return in a bill that also has Motley Crue  ;)

Didn't King just say all sorts of vaguely bitter things in regards to Araya, though? All water under the bridge? Or maybe I'm just not remembering right...not following it too closely.

He was saying that he hasn't spoken with him since he walked away from the band.  Kerry was his usual self, just honest and saying he wished Tom had handled the retirement conversation better.  I didn't take any of it to be bitter, though.

Cheers to them coming back to play a few live shows!   :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2024, 10:48:35 AM »
And just like that, I feel a Slayer kick coming on.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2024, 11:33:20 AM »
And just like that, I feel a Slayer kick coming on.

Lol! I just put on Repentless 15 minutes ago :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2024, 11:44:23 AM »

I haven't followed closely, but I think King was more harsh against Lombardo who isn't playing these shows with them.

Honestly, I'm not feeling this.  I thought Slayer was the one band that was going to hold true to their retirement.  Not saying I wouldn't see them if they come close, but it just feels like another cash grab from an older band.... just like Motley Crue.  But on a personal level, I never got to see Motley so I was fine with their reunion (although I'm already over it) but I saw Slayer on their farewell tour so I had my closure.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2024, 01:51:25 PM »
Not a Slayer fan, so I couldn't care less about this announcement, but I still follow news bits that would show up on Blabbermouth, and to me the timing just seems super bizarre since there's been all sorts of news about Kerry's new band and album. You'd think that if this was the case, they would have announced that some time ago or waited until after the Slayer hubbub died down. Just really strange the way this is happening.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2024, 01:56:20 PM »
Not a Slayer fan, so I couldn't care less about this announcement, but I still follow news bits that would show up on Blabbermouth, and to me the timing just seems super bizarre since there's been all sorts of news about Kerry's new band and album. You'd think that if this was the case, they would have announced that some time ago or waited until after the Slayer hubbub died down. Just really strange the way this is happening.

I thought it was strange too, but maybe it's not.  The Kerry king stuff might have been for publicity to warm the slayer fans up for this announcement.  Also, it doesn't seem, as of now, that this is a full blown "slayer is back" but more of "a couple Slayer reunion shows to promote festivals".  I'm guessing Kerry King's band is going to be consistent going forward (since they have a debut album coming out) and maybe Slayer does more one off shows throughout the coming years. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2024, 02:00:49 PM »
Kerry said that Lombardo is dead to him and when asked to clarify on Tom he said, well, he's not dead to me.

Sounds like Tom wants to play a few shows is all. He wants nothing more to do with touring. I see the summer festival thing as something he can control and only play when he wants to.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online nick_z

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2024, 03:20:36 PM »

Was thinking the same thing...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2024, 04:24:56 PM »
Doesn't matter what was said, money always wins.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2024, 08:39:36 PM »
I thought it was strange too, but maybe it's not.  The Kerry king stuff might have been for publicity to warm the slayer fans up for this announcement.  Also, it doesn't seem, as of now, that this is a full blown "slayer is back" but more of "a couple Slayer reunion shows to promote festivals".  I'm guessing Kerry King's band is going to be consistent going forward (since they have a debut album coming out) and maybe Slayer does more one off shows throughout the coming years.

This is how I'm seeing it too, though the timing is still super weird due to Kerry's album just being announced after so damn long. 

Also, it's just  :metal :metal :metal :metal to have Slayer back to playing the occasional live show. 

Offline NoFred

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2024, 09:59:43 PM »
Yeah I’m not looking any gift horse in the mouth… I’m in will be at Riot Fest for this, only one of the big four I haven’t seen yet so want to check that off the list.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2024, 01:33:50 AM »
Sentenced is the only band that split up, and remained that way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online nick_z

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2024, 05:38:52 AM »
Indeed! you have to give it to them...

And then, of course, with Miika Tenkula's passing, there was no going back anyway...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2024, 05:55:19 PM »
Prime Slayer are up there with Maiden as best metal band of all time for me

BUT

Kerry comes across like a tool, imo. His later lyrics are largely imbecilc and barely scan. Tom, Jeff and Dave always seemed cool. Didn't Dave got totally shafted by the band, financially?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2024, 12:19:18 AM »

BUT

Kerry comes across like a tool, imo. His later lyrics are largely imbecilc and barely scan. Tom, Jeff and Dave always seemed cool. Didn't Dave got totally shafted by the band, financially?

The version I heard is that he came back, stuck around for awhile, made a point that he was an original member and therefore should be entitled to an equal share in the band, and was immediately dismissed.  Kerry was rumored to be the orchestrator of that decision.

I mean, that would be the curt version of it, but I believe that to be basically correct.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2024, 02:17:17 AM »

BUT

The version I heard is that he came back, stuck around for awhile, made a point that he was an original member and therefore should be entitled to an equal share in the band, and was immediately dismissed.  Kerry was rumored to be the orchestrator of that decision.

I mean, that would be the curt version of it, but I believe that to be basically correct.

Yeah, I heard about the same. I've got sympathy for Dave, esp as he was particularly wanting more monies for the later tours, if I got that right. He's a bigger drawer than King for me.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.