Author Topic: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #29 Bloody Red Sharks!  (Read 6850 times)

Online wolfking

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #30 he went to far the f***er...
« Reply #315 on: February 12, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »
For whatever unknown reason, TGCD has never fully clicked for me, while I like it, I never would put it anywhere near my top 5 Katatonia records.

Agree.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #316 on: February 13, 2021, 12:14:42 AM »
TGCD was my first real exposure to Katatonia, that probably plays into it why I like it so much.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: February 13, 2021, 01:24:57 AM »
Where's Lethean and why hasn't he posted here yet?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #41 Now you find yourself in 82...
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2021, 01:31:16 AM »
Crimson Glory
Transcendence

Heavy Metal

Roadrunner Records 1989

1   Lady Of Winter   4:00
2   Red Sharks  4:52
3   Painted Skies   5:16
4   Masque Of The Red Death  4:15
5   In Dark Places   7:03
6   Where Dragons Rule   5:07
7   Lonely  5:18
8   Burning Bridges   6:32
9   Eternal World   3:54
10   Transcendence   4:34

Band line up

Bass Jeff Lords
Drums Dana Burnell
Lead Guitar Jon Drenning
Rhythm Guitar Ben Jackson
Vocals Midnight

Ah this album brings back so many good memories of the golden era of metal in the 1980's.
It was a cold winter's day in Weston-supa-Mare, England, I was visiting relatives and I went into 'Ourprice' music shop and bought this LP for 9.99UKP.
Though I wouldn't be able to play the record for a few weeks until I returned home to Australia, I remember the wait to hear this being rather longer than it actually was.

So what's makes this album so special? One word Midnight! The legendary singer who's distinct high pitched vocals were a trademark of Crimson Glory's first two albums.
While the self titled CG debut album was a solid if not too spectacular effort, nothing could prepare me for what would come next in 'Transcendence'.

Arguably Midnight's finest hour (well 51 minutes to be precise) this album has stood the test of time in nearly all aspects.
The album's sound does have a slight '1980's' production style, with the drums quite high in the mix, but everything else is well balanced.
Compared to some of the horrible modern metal sounding albums, where the drums are almost inaudible, hearing them here is indeed a pleasure rather than a distraction.

But none of this would matter if the songs weren't strong and this album has 10 songs that are all top notch.
Of course there is the out and out headbangers 'Red Sharks' the lush sounds of 'Painted Skies' and the progressive tones of 'Painted Skies', this album has it all
with numerous different flavours added to keep this interesting and more to the point highlighting Midnight's extraordinary voice.

I almost forgot the band's image from this era, wearing those hideous masks, see the video's below, I guess it was an 1980's thing?
Sadly this would be Crimson Glory's one and only close-to-masterpiece album, the follow up was a complete disaster.

Live In Florida 1989 (Pro Shot) https://youtu.be/vd9NaMEw5J8
Lonely https://youtu.be/BH3h0OS84tM
Painted Skies https://youtu.be/72C-P2pBnj0

Offline Lowdz

Re: Gazinwales Top 50 Albums - v. #29 Bloody Red Sharks!
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2021, 02:29:02 AM »
Excellent album. Yes, i admit I was drawn to it by the cover, but it's an excellent piece of early progressive metal.
Agree about it being by far their best but I have a soft spot for Strange & Beautiful, although the style was very different.
I guess the masks were just a bit to stand out and as I never saw them live or their video back in the day I didn't really care. And I'm a KISS fan so anything goes in that department I guess.

Online wolfking

« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2021, 05:40:31 AM »
Knew what album this was going to be from that thread title.  Amazing metal album and there's nothing really weak here.  I love Lonely too though, great crossover tune. 

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »
Made my Top 50 too   :tup  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2021, 10:51:36 AM »
Transcendence is a brilliant album. I have it in both vinyl and CD format.  It would probably make my top 50 too.