News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

The Official Yes Thread

Started by austin, May 04, 2009, 05:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stadler

Quote from: Orbert on June 05, 2024, 07:00:34 AM
Yeah, originally they kept the fade out/fade in, because they literally just ported the LP master over to CD.  Someone with a little more brains figured out that they could (and should) put them back together, but it wasn't quite seamless.  I think I ended up fixing mine using software.

This is me.  My '94 copy has the song and it plays seamlessly (no fade), but is technically two tracks on the CD.  I merged them so it's one track on my iPod.

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on June 04, 2024, 03:19:42 PM
I was gonna say I'll check it out, but it's $450 on Amazon (or $52 for a 2-CD "highlights" package).  Never mind.   :lol

On a different note:  I have been told that there is a version of Yesshows floating around that doesn't have Ritual split between two tracks.  The original vinyl album had it split between sides 3 and 4, while the CD I bought sometime in the '90s has it split between two different tracks.  This appears to be the split track version:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000002J24/?coliid=I2IGSAOMKZE47D&colid=2R6JEU27BWM8V&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone no where the non-split version can be acquired?

Honestly, I wouldn't pay $450 for it.

Orbert

Yes fans were thrilled to find out that there were these "lost treasures", seven complete shows from the Close to the Edge tour.  I think that that original excitement led to a fair number of people buying it right away, but I sure don't remember it being that expensive.  And now that they're becoming more rare, I'm sure the price will only go up.

Still, it's a pretty cool set.  I'd say keep an eye out for used copies, but obviously we each have our own idea of how much we're willing to spend on stuff like this.  I wouldn't pay $450 either, but I'd probably lay out $100 or so.

HOF

Listening to Talk, which I picked up as a result of the recent countdown for the first time. It's a really nice album.

ytserush

Quote from: Stadler on June 04, 2024, 08:33:09 AM
A box set of seven shows from the 1972 tour, from which some of the performances on Yessongs were taken (there were at least two other shows on Yessongs that are not in the Progeny box set).

I may have said this before but I love this set so much more than Yessongs. Might be my favorite live recordings from that period. (Unfortunately, There aren't very many. These recordings alone changed my opinion of live Yes from that period. Yessongs was all were had for so long and it's not a very good representation of live Yes from that era.

ytserush

Quote from: Orbert on June 04, 2024, 02:12:05 PM
The jamming intro to "Yours is No Disgrace" is also different each time, sometimes very different.  And at the end of "Close to the Edge" they go into a cool, low-key jam that's different each time.  Those are just two examples I can think of.  There are other improv moments here and there.  Rick's solo in "Close to the Edge" has common elements but is always a little different.

Yes, it's the same set list each time, but as Stadler said, it's impressive how much improvisation there is.  I was really surprised, as I'd thought that with such complex music that they'd keep things really tight all the way around, but that's definitely not the case.  Each show has its own flavor.

Totally. It's really an amazing set.

ytserush

Quote from: Kwyjibo on June 05, 2024, 03:37:08 AM
I have a remastered CD, but don't know when it was remastered, the cover doesn't give any information other than it was "digitally remastered by Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital"

The rear cover shows Ritual as one track with a runtime of 28:22. But on the actual CD the track is still split into two parts.

Sounds like you have the '94 remaster. Gastwirt did those. Have one too. Like it a lot.

ytserush

Quote from: Orbert on June 05, 2024, 09:09:53 AM
Yes fans were thrilled to find out that there were these "lost treasures", seven complete shows from the Close to the Edge tour.  I think that that original excitement led to a fair number of people buying it right away, but I sure don't remember it being that expensive.  And now that they're becoming more rare, I'm sure the price will only go up.

Still, it's a pretty cool set.  I'd say keep an eye out for used copies, but obviously we each have our own idea of how much we're willing to spend on stuff like this.  I wouldn't pay $450 either, but I'd probably lay out $100 or so.

Think I got mine for about $50. I had to have it. It's one of my favorite boxes.

The Curious Orange

Quote from: Stadler on June 05, 2024, 07:51:35 AM
This is me.  My '94 copy has the song and it plays seamlessly (no fade), but is technically two tracks on the CD.  I merged them so it's one track on my iPod.

I dug the CD out to check - Wow, I'd never noticed that it's 2 tracks before, but it is. Plays seamlessly.

Problem may be your CD player doesn't support gapless play - it's a huge problem with CDs that feature tracks that segue, many cheaper players no longer support gapless play, in fact many players actually list gapless play as a feature these days rather than something that CD players should actually do by default.

devieira73

https://open.spotify.com/track/73HNJLyWmrVkHS2jK0Zuft?si=kDbclBquS3G53E2rn_Lh2g
Jon Anderson & The Band Geeks "Shine On" - Official Music Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-kFz5ibGA
Really cool song!
If it was a Yes song, it would be easily the most exciting music that Yes released since Fly from Here.

ProfessorPeart

Was already an insta-buy for me after seeing them live, and this just cements it. Really looking forward to this record. Jon hasn't really lost a thing.
Quote from: ProfessorPeart on November 14, 2023, 11:17:53 AMbeul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Quote from: Indiscipline on November 14, 2023, 02:26:25 PMPardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history.

HOF

Quote from: HOF on June 06, 2024, 09:52:11 PM
Listening to Talk, which I picked up as a result of the recent countdown for the first time. It's a really nice album.

Still spinning this a bunch, and I have to say it's gotta be one of the best albums of the 90s by a classic 70s prog band.

I feel like Spock's Beard copied a bit of this on albums like Day for Night.

Schurftkut

really good song! hoping the rest will be just as good :metal

Orbert

That's either a really nice de-aging job on both of them or (more likely) AI.  At first I thought maybe it was a movie from 20-25 years ago that I never saw.

The Letter M

Quote from: HOF on June 30, 2024, 09:31:49 PM
Interesting use of Yes music here.

https://youtu.be/I_id-SkGU2k?si=tNjCxSSMnoB4N7Ja

I had heard about this film the night before the trailer dropped and was immediately intrigued by the premise, but the use of Yes in the trailer definitely added to my excitement, and fit pretty well. Probably one of the better uses of this song in cinema, even if it's just for a trailer, but given that the meat of the story focuses on a couple from the 50s through today, I do wonder if Zemeckis will include music across the decades in the film.

I made a thread about Here in the Movies & TV subforum if anyone wants to talk about it there!

-Marc.

pg1067

Quote from: The Letter M on July 01, 2024, 07:24:02 AM
I had heard about this film the night before the trailer dropped and was immediately intrigued by the premise, but the use of Yes in the trailer definitely added to my excitement, and fit pretty well. Probably one of the better uses of this song in cinema, even if it's just for a trailer, but given that the meat of the story focuses on a couple from the 50s through today, I do wonder if Zemeckis will include music across the decades in the film.

I made a thread about Here in the Movies & TV subforum if anyone wants to talk about it there!

-Marc.

How is it possible it took until today for me to realize that the line was, "She hasn't got time to make you a wife"?!  I'm not sure what I thought he was saying, but it wasn't that.

Looks interesting.

HOF

Quote from: pg1067 on July 01, 2024, 12:06:55 PM
How is it possible it took until today for me to realize that the line was, "She hasn't got time to make you a wife"?!  I'm not sure what I thought he was saying, but it wasn't that.

Looks interesting.

Huh, I didn't realize that either. Listened to the song a million times but never looked at the lyrics I don't think.

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on July 01, 2024, 12:06:55 PM

Looks interesting.

I thought the EXACT SAME THING.  And I too couldn't get back to what I thought it was.  :)

pg1067

I don't think the album was ever released with lyrics, so who knows?  All the lyrics sites on the internet have it that way.

HOF

Quote from: Stadler on July 01, 2024, 12:28:02 PM
I thought the EXACT SAME THING.  And I too couldn't get back to what I thought it was.  :)

Maybe make you wise?

pg1067

Quote from: HOF on July 01, 2024, 01:07:29 PM
Maybe make you wise?

Given how obtuse/nonsensical some Yes lyrics are, it's really hard to know.  The Yessongs version (first one I heard) sounds a little like "make you [uh] wise."  The studio version is similar.  I think I've morphed it around in my head to "make you around"...??

Orbert

I always thought it was "wise" also.  Been listening to that song for 50 years.  Besides, why would you expect the White Queen to make you a wife?  She hasn't got time for that shit.

pg1067

Quote from: Orbert on July 02, 2024, 11:45:42 AM
why would you expect the White Queen to make you a wife?  She hasn't got time for that shit.

:lol :lol :lol

HOF

Quote from: pg1067 on July 02, 2024, 11:34:08 AM
Given how obtuse/nonsensical some Yes lyrics are, it's really hard to know.  The Yessongs version (first one I heard) sounds a little like "make you [uh] wise."  The studio version is similar.  I think I've morphed it around in my head to "make you around"...??

Yeah, one thing I've never really done is set about learning the lyrics to Yes songs. They exist as part of the music but I don't know very many of them by heart.

pg1067

Quote from: HOF on July 02, 2024, 01:42:45 PM
Yeah, one thing I've never really done is set about learning the lyrics to Yes songs. They exist as part of the music but I don't know very many of them by heart.

I know Jon Anderson has said more than once that the lyrics aren't intended to be literal and were more focused on what sounded good in the context of the music.  WAY back in the day, I'd sit around for hours listening to songs with the lyrics sheet in front of me.  However, over the years, things have morphed.  Especially with Close to the Edge, I occasionally look at the lyrics and say, "huh...is that really what he's saying?  It's certainly not what I'm singing when I sing along to it!"

Orbert

Close to the Edge, the album, came with lyrics on the sleeve, so at least we had that.  I spent hours learning all the words to "Close to the Edge" (the song).  I know a lot of it doesn't make literal sense, but if I'm gonna sing along, for some reason it's important that I at least think I have the right words.

pg1067

Quote from: Orbert on July 02, 2024, 05:24:48 PM
Close to the Edge, the album, came with lyrics on the sleeve, so at least we had that.  I spent hours learning all the words to "Close to the Edge" (the song).  I know a lot of it doesn't make literal sense, but if I'm gonna sing along, for some reason it's important that I at least think I have the right words.

Same (I kept the inner sleeve with the lyrics when I replaced the vinyl with a CD since the CD didn't have the lyrics).  The thing I could never wrap my arms (lips?) around is the stuff that Squire and Howe sing during the "Coins and crosses" part in And You and I.  I've got the words, but I've never been able to line them up with what I'm hearing except for the "to the cord" part.

Orbert

Jon sings "Coins and crosses" and the background vocals are something like double tempo, plus there's an audio effect on the backgrounds.  Maybe try listening with some good headphones; that always helped me figure things out.  Better clarity and separation.  But all the words are there.

On a slightly separate note, the lyrics on the sleeve include some lines that didn't make it to the final mix.  I wondered about that for a long time, until the Steven Wilson remixes came out, and those missing lines were restored.  During "I Get Up, I Get Down" Squire and Howe sing the "In her white lace" part before Jon comes in with the first "I get up, I get down" and then each time the backgrounds come back, the lyrics say "Through the duty, she would coil their sad amazement..." even though the first three words aren't there.  SW brought them back.  It's kinda nice to have them, but I understand why Eddie originally cut them out, as they clash with what Jon is singing.

ytserush

Quote from: HOF on June 30, 2024, 09:31:49 PM
Interesting use of Yes music here.

https://youtu.be/I_id-SkGU2k?si=tNjCxSSMnoB4N7Ja

I love the movie Buffalo '66 for similar reasons. One of my favorite soundtracks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-GpwUigHsw