Author Topic: Why can't I get rid of any of my CDs?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Why can't I get rid of any of my CDs?
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
Every once in a while I listen to some CDs that I haven't really listened to in a while to see if I still want to keep them.  

I'll always listen to something one last time so it is fresh in my mind and I won't have any regrets about divesting myself of it.

So over the last few few nights I go to the shelves and pick out Simon Phillips' Another Lifetime, Greg Bissonette's Submarine Ian Moore's Via Satellite, Billy Sheehan's The Talas Years, Lemur Voice's Insights and The Chick Corea Elektric Band figuring that I could stand to part at least one of them.

But NOOOO. Almost every time I put something on for one last listen I'm struck by how awesome the music is and that I would be insane to even THINK of parting with it.

This is just the most recent example.

If the music sucked it would be so easy. (Like if it all sounded like Yes' Open Your Eyes or something...)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:43:05 PM by ytserush »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Why can't I get rid of any of my CDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
I could never sell my CDs, even if I didnt like the music anymore. I dunno, once I buy something I like to keep it as long as it lasts. Plus I love having a huge music collection, legally owning it makes me enjoy the album so much more for some reason.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
You're mixing two different things here: Whether the music is good or not, and whether you will ever listen to it again.
My point is, despite the music being good, apparently you never felt the desire to listen to it. And that's the true factor whether you should part with it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »
You're mixing two different things here: Whether the music is good or not, and whether you will ever listen to it again.
My point is, despite the music being good, apparently you never felt the desire to listen to it. And that's the true factor whether you should part with it.

rumborak

Why throw out music if you could potentially listen to it again later down the road? Thats the case here, he didnt listen to an album for awhile, and when he did check back on it, it was a lot better than he remembered it being.

I've had experiences like that too... I heard "Say You Will" by Fleetwood Mac 3 years ago... listened once and didnt think much of it. And then 3 years later, last month, I listened and it blew me away. I can't imagine if I parted with it, but I could have potentially thrown it out if I followed that since I had no desire to listen for 3 years.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »
I assume he has a pressing reason for parting with the CDs. If he doesn't need to, obviously he shouldn't.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:34 PM »

rumborak

I can't in good conscience part with any music that I consider to be "good" that I like (unless I've upgraded in some way.)

I would probably listen to this stuff a lot more if there wasn't other music that gets more of my attention.

I suppose it's a good problem to have, but it can be really frustrating at times.

I also keep toying with the idea of having a fusion section (I've even started to rearrange a few times) but that's a pandora's box I can never win so I just give up eventually keep what I have in the general Rock and Jazz where they were.  

Jeff Berlin, Brand X and Bill Bruford are in Rock but Mahavishnu, Frank Gambale, Jens Johansson and Allan Holdsworth in Jazz.

Why? Seems completely arbitrary. I shall prevail one of these days.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 11:03:13 PM »
I assume he has a pressing reason for parting with the CDs. If he doesn't need to, obviously he shouldn't.

rumborak

Making room for other (potentially "more desireable") CDs. Probably not a good enough reason, but it's all I got.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »
This happened again today.

I'm trying to make room for a couple of Ray Russell, Mo Foster and Simon Phillips CDs that I need to make room for and I put on the Rocket Scienists' Earth Below And Sky Above album (I sold the rest of the Rocket Scientists albums a few years back, but I really like this one despite not listening to it in more than a year).

Can't let it go.  I'm such a music geek.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »
By some miracle, one time I was able to trade in a seven albums I didn't like anymore for a brand new copy of Björk's "Volta".

Best decision of my life.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 08:33:38 PM »
If I had it my way (if I wasn't so broke) I'd probably keep all my CDs as I also like a huge collection, but when I discover something new I really like, I take the CDs I either never listen to or that I "grew out of" (lost interest in, example: Adema) and use them for trade.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »
Don't ever let go of Simon Phillips, or fusion, or jazz.

Trust me.

A few years from now, even, you'll be glad you didn't. I'd rather have it for a later time than tossing it out.

I go through the same thing, from time to time, but as soon as I put it on, it's like "damn son, and you were gonna get rid of this?"
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »
I have the same problem.  I went through another phase recently where I thought I needed to get the number of CDs I own down a bit, meaning maybe sell off some of the lesser ones I maybe aren't so wild about anymore, or maybe just never listen to, if for no other reason than I am running out of space for them all, but I think I only picked out seven or eight that were dispensable.  And still over 650 that I can't part with. 

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »
I'm not surprised. Why would anyone want to sell that awesome Simon Phillips album?  :lol
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
I entertained the idea because I had not listened to it in a while. My fail safe is one final listen before I give them up.

Also frustrating is buying something you forgot you had. I saw a Mike Peters (The Alarm) album (Feel Free) in the used bin the other day and while I knew I had a Peters solo album, I didn't think it was THAT one.

I used to do this a lot more, but now when in doubt I don't buy it.  Unfortunately I had myself convinced this time.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
I gave Lemur Voice's Insights another "final" spin earlier today. While I do enjoy it for what it is (progressive metal influenced by Dream Theater), I've decided it's time to let it go.

I think I've listened to it about three or four times over the last five years and those times were to specifically decide if I still wanted to keep it.  I need the space on the shelf and the music didn't seem to resonate with me as it once did.

Looks like my Shawn Lane Powers Of Ten and Julian Lennon's Valotte are going to be neighbors now.

Pay no attention to the guy with the music addiction...

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 02:15:51 AM »
I could never sell my CDs, even if I didnt like the music anymore. I dunno, once I buy something I like to keep it as long as it lasts. Plus I love having a huge music collection, legally owning it makes me enjoy the album so much more for some reason.
This.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
This.

Interesting point, but I guess I have close to zero music in a library on a computer so I never considered that option.